Is 1/6 scale figures by DCD dead?

Phillip

As far as DCD they haven't been focusing on Superman and Batman that bad now. Mattel on the other hand is picking up that habit.

There was this interview with DCD's George saying that he felt like the 1:6 is pretty much finished which a lot of people didn't agree with. Still with their recent releases it seems like the quality is just going down. Can't stand that Wonderwoman and Poison Ivy head.

what the F#$ are the 1/6 figures? 6 inch, 12 inch?

They are 12" in size.

Here's a quick run-down of the common action figure scales:

1/6th scale = 12 inch figures like the big GIJOE, Sideshow and Hot Toys figures.

1/12th scale = 6 inch figures, like Marvel Legends, or DC Universe Collection.

1/18th scale = 3.74 to 4 inch figures, like the small GIJOEs, Marvel Universe, and DC Universe Infinite Heroes.

EDIT: ACCCK! Stupidly added a 1 before some of those, see revised.

• Like 1

what the F#$ are the 1/6 figures? 6 inch, 12 inch?

They are 12" in size.

Here's a quick run-down of the common action figure scales:

1/6th scale = 12 inch figures like the big GIJOE, Sideshow and Hot Toys figures.

1 1/12th scale = 6 inch figures, like Marvel Legends, or DC Universe Collection.

1 1/18th scale = 3.74 to 4 inch figures, like the small GIJOEs, Marvel Universe, and DC Universe Infinite Heroes.

Finally got it, thx man!

• Like 1

How much do Hot Toys figures cost? If most stores and consumers don't support a $100.00 figure, are they going to support a $150-200 figure? I would love to see a toy company get behind a figure series and producing a different figure every three months. Make it fun and exciting for collectors. Collecting a series isn't fun if you have to wait 6-12 months for a figure. DC Stars by Tonner?

How much do Hot Toys figures cost? If most stores and consumers don't support a $100.00 figure, are they going to support a $150-200 figure? I would love to see a toy company get behind a figure series and producing a different figure every three months. Make it fun and exciting for collectors. Collecting a series isn't fun if you have to wait 6-12 months for a figure. DC Stars by Tonner?

Hot Toys figures typically cost $150-$200USD. They are considered to be very high-end product and thus command that kind of price point. The DC Direct 13" figures just do not compare in terms of sculpt, paint, materials, intricacy/details.

Hot Toys' philosophy appears to be all about making the best representation of the characters they do.......and seriously, they do breathtaking work. You get what you pay for with the Hot Toys stuff.

• 3 months later...

I for one have never been a fan of these over-priced, under whelming, typical sloppy and cheap pushouts from DCD.

However, I was hoping for a couple more, to finish my "in too deep to stop" collection. In particular, I was hoping for a Mr. Freeze 1/6 scale figure. But, I guess it's ok, because it would probably have been horrific.

Has DCD finished its run of 1/6 scale figures? Haven't seen any new solicitations in quite a while. Has anyone heard anything?

I think the 13" DCD figures are going downwards. At the beginning Superman, Batman are well made and the attention to detail is well worth the $70 they cost. But now, DCD keeps asking for more but giving less. The new Alex Ross Batman costs like $90 and it only comes with a single batarang.

If the 13" line is doing bad it's because DCD has dropped the balls.

I ordered the very first figure in this series, "Batman Begins", then the Superman figure came out several months later. These were sold for $100 a piece. The sad thing about this entire line is, each figure body was exactly the same: Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, all the way until the first female figure. The only difference is the head, costume and accessories.

Unfortunately for me, I had pre-ordered this line too deep to get out before it was too late.

I think the 13" DCD figures are going downwards. At the beginning Superman, Batman are well made and the attention to detail is well worth the $70 they cost. But now, DCD keeps asking for more but giving less. The new Alex Ross Batman costs like $90 and it only comes with a single batarang.

I noticed Tonner added Raven and Starfire to its DC Stars series. I think Tonner is going to eventually do more figures than DCD. I would love to see someone make a Hawkman. I think Tonner is gonna do it before DCD. .

I ordered the very first figure in this series, "Batman Begins", then the Superman figure came out several months later. These were sold for $100 a piece. The sad thing about this entire line is, each figure body was exactly the same: Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, all the way until the first female figure. The only difference is the head, costume and accessories.

Unfortunately for me, I had pre-ordered this line too deep to get out before it was too late.

But that's exactly 1:6 scales are about, uniforms and different head sculpts. For the male characters I think it's understandable. They used a teen body for Robin. Joker used a slimmer body I believe.

To Phillip,

Some of the Tonner dolls look really nice. But I don't think they are in the 12" or 13" scale. And the price is expensive. I'm not sure how popular they are right now.

What's in the Mattel 12-inch line besides Superman: The Movie figures? Will Mattel make DC Universe figures? Hawkman? Speedy? DC Direct figures are a good balace between quality and cost control. That Mattel stuff looks like a ten dollar product you place on a twenty dollar display case purchased at Wal-Mart.

I actually like the Mego-like figures. Too much money for that type of figure though. Ten dollars max. Not worth $20-25.

well they got DC Giants of Justice , sups , batman , killer cro , flash and they going to put out green lantern this month here some pics

they great next to the marvel icons

supermanpics007.jpg

figurespics003.jpg

They've actually improved, slightly. At least, from a "from the beginning" standpoint.

When I received the Batman Begins figure I was so shocked at how pathetic it was. When extreme detail and super articulation was taking over, this thing came hobbling in. I took three 12" figures and asked people who knew nothing of figures, pricing or what to look at when buying, to pick out which figure they thought would have the highest retail price tag. It was never picked, despite having a price tag over a $20 habsro Star Wars figure, and one other; I'm thinking a SideShow figure, which at the time had a retail price of $35-45. Meanwhile, this had a retail price of $100!

My reviews were so critical, and my letters to DCD were so angry, that apparently, DCD realized they made a huge mistake. By the time Green Lantern came out, the accessories had been minimized, the face sculpt was vastly improved, no COA was added, and the price dropped $20.

Still, not enough to warrant the excessive $80 tag. But, once again, I was so deep into the pre-orders.

A few sculpts became almost good. But, the lack of imaginative accessories has all but killed the series, when considering the massive price tag.

Now, compared to say Hot Toys or Medicom, these were more than half the price, and a seemingly cheap alternative. Which I am speculating is why it lasted over 30 figures. But, apparently people ended up getting tired of spending $80-100 on piss poor quality, and the same bodies with different heads, because DCD eventually repeated the mainstays several times, rather than creating a few great needed characters. I'm still hoping for a great Mr. Freeze.

But, there have been a few noticeable improvements. But not enough for me to recommend the series. Although, at $35, they might be awesome. For $60-125, they're just not that great.

And that's my point. Next to $20 figures, they look great.

Next to $50-200 figures, they look like $20 figures.

well they got DC Giants of Justice , sups , batman , killer cro , flash and they going to put out green lantern this month here some pics

they great next to the marvel icons

Take a look at the pictures up a few posts.

These $100 DCD figures fit right in with the Marvel Legends Icons, which had a retail price of $20. And, in most cases, the ML Icons STILL look superior.

But, you're right, most Mattel and Hasbro stuff looks horrible. You can now spend over $100 to complete one series of Mattel or hasbro figures, and have nothing to be proud of: sloppy paint jobs, horrible sculpts. When Hasbro took over the Marvel License, the first thing they did was ruin the Marvel Legends line. They had no clue of the awesome history; just the Hasbroesque type sculpting we would come to know and loathe. They ruined the Build-A-Figure concept, by making the B-a-F's the same size as the regular figures, they raised prices, and lowered quality. The ML Icons had an immediate $5 price increase, although, a better package, and they removed the free comic.

But, the whole point here is, DCD's 13" or 1/6 scale figures ultimately do not provide the quality of the price tag they heaped on. Just three years ago, I was told this line could go on forever; as long as it generated money. I told them the 13" figures were near it's end. Seems forever wasn't that long, and the end lasted a few figures longer than i would have guessed.

What's in the Mattel 12-inch line besides Superman: The Movie figures? Will Mattel make DC Universe figures? Hawkman? Speedy? DC Direct figures are a good balace between quality and cost control. That Mattel stuff looks like a ten dollar product you place on a twenty dollar display case purchased at Wal-Mart.