Can Someone Please Explain To Me ...

When shopping for soda (some regions call it "Pop"), I always get the 2 or 3 liter bottles. One thing that has been bugging me for almost the past year is the price fluctuation. One week Dr. Pepper and Coke are at $1 per 2 L, then the next week it's up to $1.50. The price keeps bouncing back and forth. At first I thought it had to do with holiday sales, but not the case.

Over all, WTF?! #WTF#

Yes it was funny when I went to sdcc & asked what pop they had they looked at me like they had no clue what I was talking about @loll@

When shopping for soda (some regions call it "Pop"), I always get the 2 or 3 liter bottles. One thing that has been bugging me for almost the past year is the price fluctuation. One week Dr. Pepper and Coke are at $1 per 2 L, then the next week it's up to $1.50. The price keeps bouncing back and forth. At first I thought it had to do with holiday sales, but not the case.

Over all, WTF?! #WTF#

Soda pop is kind of a loss-leader for retailers. They can knock the profit margin on a case down by a good amount and get people coming into the stores to by some, along with other items on their grocery lists. Its just a psychology game retailers play with consumers to get them to buy more than they normally would.

In Philadelphia we say soda.

I think the standard is soda, I never see these drinks advertised as pop.

Yep I have never seen the term pop in ads.I used to live in the New York Tri state area and it was allways soda .Pop is still a 1950's term like it or not

Soda pop is kind of a loss-leader for retailers. They can knock the profit margin on a case down by a good amount and get people coming into the stores to by some, along with other items on their grocery lists. Its just a psychology game retailers play with consumers to get them to buy more than they normally would.

That's the part that irritates me. I can understand items like milk and eggs changing price from time to time, but this game the stores play with soda is unnecessary. I'll buy generic if need be.

That's the part that irritates me. I can understand items like milk and eggs changing price from time to time, but this game the stores play with soda is unnecessary. I'll buy generic if need be.

Yea, but milk and eggs are staples, so a constant price on them is an advantage because its reassuring to consumers. Milk and eggs ( and similar staples) also tend to be subsidized to keep their prices artificially on the low side, for a number of reasons.

Soda pop is considered a luxury product (actually a junk food) so the perception is that a price drop of any margin is to be taken advantage of, and consumers get caught up in that mind-game. There's no real loss to retailers because the volume they sell through during these price drops makes up for slower sales when the price is higher.

BUT I NEED COKE TO LIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

@loll@

I watched some tv show where this girl was addicted to it & drank like ... I duno how many cans a day ...50 cans a day ...it was more than one every hour pretty much...

Yea, but milk and eggs are staples, so a constant price on them is an advantage because its reassuring to consumers. Milk and eggs ( and similar staples) also tend to be subsidized to keep their prices artificially on the low side, for a number of reasons.

Soda pop is considered a luxury product (actually a junk food) so the perception is that a price drop of any margin is to be taken advantage of, and consumers get caught up in that mind-game. There's no real loss to retailers because the volume they sell through during these price drops makes up for slower sales when the price is higher.

The thing the irks me is that I know the cost of making soda and the cost of buying soda at wholesale is outrageously CHEAP. Why raise the price at all (other than to sucker a few more cents out of us when we are not looking)?

In the long run, all it does is make us resort to buying cheaper brands permanently.

@loll@

I watched some tv show where this girl was addicted to it & drank like ... I duno how many cans a day ...50 cans a day ...it was more than one every hour pretty much...

I had a relative that was drinking diet soda like it was going out of style, and it was killing her.

The aspartame in the pop was literally bending her brain, because she was drinking CASES of the stuff PER DAY, she was having hallucinations from the amounts she was ingesting.

And yes, it got so bad it took hospitalization to wean her off the stuff.

That's bad.

@loll@

Damn. :mellow: Kiss her kidneys good-bye.

The thing the irks me is that I know the cost of making soda and the cost of buying soda at wholesale is outrageously CHEAP. Why raise the price at all (other than to sucker a few more cents out of us when we are not looking)?

In the long run, all it does is make us resort to buying cheaper brands permanently.

Well, they do it because they can. Its legal to make money in North America. @smilepunch@

Just this past Christmas, I switched to another brand of ginger ale. I used to drink Canada Dry, but started to find it too sweet and syrupy. So I tried Schweppes ginger ale on a whim, and found it much more pleasant, less sweet and it wasn't making me gag afterwards, like many sodas do.

And then I found out its at least a buck less a case than Canada Dry.

So, for me........bring on the cheaper stuff!

@loll@

Damn. :mellow: Kiss her kidneys good-bye.

Yeah the show didn't really show what happened to her in that episode but pretty much said yah shes dead if she keeps it up

Over all, WTF?! #WTF#

This is part of it.

Having worked directly with merchandising for the last six years or so, I would also like to add that some of this comes directly from the companies who produce the product. Coke and Pepsi both run monthly sales on all of their products. For example, Pepsi likes to run liter pop on sale one month, and then 20oz pop on sale the next month, switching back and forth between the two from month to month. So, one month, liters might be $1.19 with a non-sale price of $1.49, and then the next month, 20oz might be on sale for $0.99 with a regular price of $1.29...or something along those lines. They reduce their cost to the retailer, with the hopes that the retailer will follow suit in keeping the same profit margin, and lower their price in return to help sell product. It's still up to the retailer though.

In a case where it's on a week to week basis though, it's more than likely the store running a great deal on a certain product, and losing profit margin, in hopes that the sale will draw customers to their store and make them buy other products. They're basically hoping that by losing profit on one product that may be popular, they will draw customers into the store, that wouldn't shop there under normal circumstances, and said customer will spend money on other products that will compensate for that loss in profit margin...with the overall goal of gaining customer loyalty.

Oh...and here in Montana, everyone calls it "pop."

Calling it "soda" sounds foreign to me. @lol@

I remember calling it Sodee Pop when I was a kid because my grandparents are from Oklahoma and they called it that..

"hey kids, you want a sodee?"

My grandma still says lots of funny stuff to this day.. my favorite is WARSH instead of wash

anyhow, I don't drink soda.. it is REALLY bad for you

If you're from the North..it's POP! If you're from the South...it's SODA! Somehow the SODA POP got segregated back in the day.

If you're from the North..it's POP! If you're from the South...it's SODA! Somehow the SODA POP got segregated back in the day.

Actually I'm from PA and we always called it soda....maybe its the southern influence coming thru at Gettysburg!

I have to say that in the South that it's not Soda or Pop, it's Coke, no matter where you go "Just give me a Coke!"

I was actually going to say this. In the deep South it's Coke. No matter if they want a Sprite, Dr. Pepper, or an actual Coke. And having been a waiter in said area, and being prone to saying Soda, I got a lot of confused looks when I asked if they wanted a Soda refill.

Oh, and speaking of crazy influxes in prices for Soda. I know some restaurants are up to around $2.40 for the price of a drink. Which is laughable - since I know the pricing of those items and it literally costs no more than a quarter or so per refill. And the average consumer doesn't get more than 3 or 4.

Sometimes it just makes more sense to drink beer at a restaurant. @drink@