Dead toy lines and figures that never got made...

yojoebro82

Someone in a DCUC thread mentioned that someday DCUC will end and there will be figures fans want but will not get before the line ends.

True.

That got me thinking of some of my favorite past toy lines that have died and the figures I wanted but never saw. I thought it would be fun to list the toy line and figures from that line YOU wanted, but will never be made (please, no DCUC or MU wish lists, those lines are still going) I'm talking toy lines that are DEAD and not coming back.

Mine:

80s GI Joe:

Big Lob

Pythona

80s He-Man:

Queen Marlana

Dolph Lundgren He-Man (we got Gwildor but no Dolph????)

90s Toy Biz X Men:

Jubilee

Jim Lee Jean Gray

Playmates Star Trek:

season 1 beardless Riker

Armus (the alien that killed Yar and who is-I suspect-a hero to a lot of Trek fans)

DS9 supporting cast such as Ezri Dax, Wayoon, Gul Damar, Admiral Ross, Martok

Avatar: The Last Airbender by Mattel.

They did the various Aang, Zuko, and Sokka figures and variants, but we never got any of the female characters or Iroh (Zuko's uncle). They were good figures. May have looked a little too much like chunks of plastic, but the poseability was there.

- Original 1978 Battlestar Galactica 3 3/4" figures of Boomer, Jolly and the rest of the gang in their Colonial brown jackets, along with full size Vipers and a mess of Cylons to fight. They only did a few.

- Some Buck Rogers toys done the same way.

- A new M.A.S.K. line, or the continuation of the originals.

- Transformers Classics is doing a good job, but we need a Defcon, Reflector, Alfa Trion and the other female Autobots. ...AND an honest to god Shockwave.

- Thundercats done right. @smilepunch@ (I know Bandai has some coming)

I wanted a lot of the Marvel Legends that Toybiz had planned and were rumored as upcoming... and there were plenty of characters that I had no knowledge of them intending, but still wanted them to make some day. But then they switched to Hasbro, and things kinda fell apart... maybe they will be better when they come back in 2012.

I also wanted the Toybiz Legendary Comicbook Heroes series 3. We had actually seen prototypes of them before they were canceled. They looked outstanding. Plus, they had just got the rights to do Liefield's stuff.. so I was really looking forward to some Youngblood figures.

When GiJoe was canceled in 94 or whatever, they had planned to return to their military roots with the BattleRangers theme.. I only saw a few figures, but it looked like they were going to be better than the neon crap that they put out in 93/94.

When the GiJoe 25th anniversary series was canceld after wave 14, they had already produced several figures for wave 15 and 16 (or it might have been 14/15, I can't keep it straight)... some of these figures made their way into the Cobra Island 7-packs.. some of them just got canned altogether... but they replaced the Real American Hero line with the movie line.. and that movie sucked!... now they are onto Pursuit of Cobra.. and the figures are great, but I don't like the designs as much as the RAH stuff... check out Lowlight from the upcoming wave 4, and you can see just how awesome RAH figures could be if they would still do them (I hope Lowlight is just the first of many RAH guys that they will put in the POC line).

Most people think the recent Playmates Star Trek line sucked, but...I still want Wave 2 that was cancelled.

I did too I needed the cpomputers to finish the bridge so what I did was is to custime the figure I got on clearnce to habve more of a crew compliment and the computers to fill the bridge

They only made a few Ninja Gaiden figures. I really wish this line would have taken off. They made a 6" Ryu with the lousy/ hard to pose ball-joint hips and they made a Rachael. I would have LOVED to see a whole line of these in the 4" scale. There are so many cool figures from the games, they could make this line for years. Even for those who didn't know what Ninja Gaiden was about, they could easily love the toys.

They only made a few Ninja Gaiden figures. I really wish this line would have taken off. They made a 6" Ryu with the lousy/ hard to pose ball-joint hips and they made a Rachael. I would have LOVED to see a whole line of these in the 4" scale. There are so many cool figures from the games, they could make this line for years. Even for those who didn't know what Ninja Gaiden was about, they could easily love the toys.

Who made a Ninja Gaiden figure? The only one I'm aware of is the 7" Ryu figure by NECA. The only Rachel I've seen is that statue-like figure.

Who made a Ninja Gaiden figure? The only one I'm aware of is the 7" Ryu figure by NECA. The only Rachel I've seen is that statue-like figure.

Yes. which I have both of.

The point is that NECA started N.G. figs, but never gave it a good chance to prosper.

Playing Mantis was going to make 12" Jonny Quest figures--but sadly they never happened.

Charlie Flatt and Flattworld were all set to make an amazing Mego-scale Phantom figure-but that fizzled out.

21rst Century Toys had a whole bunch of 12" scale figures and sets planned, and they too fizzled out into vapour.

I wanted a lot of the Marvel Legends that Toybiz had planned and were rumored as upcoming... and there were plenty of characters that I had no knowledge of them intending, but still wanted them to make some day. But then they switched to Hasbro, and things kinda fell apart... maybe they will be better when they come back in 2012.

I also wanted the Toybiz Legendary Comicbook Heroes series 3. We had actually seen prototypes of them before they were canceled. They looked outstanding. Plus, they had just got the rights to do Liefield's stuff.. so I was really looking forward to some Youngblood figures.

Yeah, ML had the proposed Army Builder pack-ins, of which we did get a Hydra goon, but I still want the others. And there were prototypes for the X-Babies & 'Lil 'Vengers which would have been awesome, IMO.

Charlie Flatt and Flattworld were all set to make an amazing Mego-scale Phantom figure-but that fizzled out.

Did they ever get around to the Astro City stuff? I know they had some figures planned but don't know if they ever got made.

Nope, all of it died on the vine. They did get a Bela Lugosi Dracula out, but that did not sell to expectations, which killed everything else.

Shredder was never made for the NECA Turtles... :(

That line ended before it really even began. Only one art style of the turtles, and not even the most prominent one through the comics, along with April and Mousers. I would have loved to have seen this fleshed out to include Shredder and his Foot Clan, Casey Jones, Splinter, Utroms, Fugitoid, etc.. etc...

Yeah... I think they could have done more, but I think they were limited to the comics and most likely to certain styles cause of the other figures in the stores. They couldn't even sell their stuff in the stores cause of the other figures. They'll still hold a special place in my heart... I still have to finish my custom Casey Jones... maybe I'll just make my own Shredder & Foot clan.

i dont know what contract neca had when they did the turtles but since the license was up in the air and nick got the license, neca stopped doing figures of tmnt. i believe it has to do with that. necas turtles sold everywhere. we sold over ten boxes here and thats huge for the little country we are. i can bet that they sold realy well. neca said that they will look at april to see if they continue. sorry but that was just an excuse to give fans an answer. not even neca can be that dumb to compare april with shredder or the foot soldiers. i also bet that playmates was yaking around at toys "R" us because neca turtles sold way better then the ones they did. toys "R" us didnt want to loose playmates. thats why they did not order more waves of ninja turtles. funny fact, since neca's turtles looked way better and where based on the old style sudenly playmates did the vintage line again. they went back and rereleased some of the first ninja turtles and did some counterparts with just red bandana's just like neca did.