DCUC Wave 17

BigBot84

if i remember correctly, people were asking if matty would ever tap into the blackest night stuff, they said yes....and everyone was happy. what happened?

Pretty sure when most people were talking about tapping into Blackest Night, they were hoping for things like Larfleeze, Corrected SC Sinestro, Atrocitus, Saint Walker, and "Zombie" black lantern figures with maybe a Nekron BAF. Along with some of the stuff we're getting in the GL Classics line.

Not rehashes of a bunch of characters we already have in one-shot uniforms. As others have said, this is cutting straight into DCDs niche.

I'd be perfectly OK with this wave if it were an exclusive somewhere. As it stands I'm annoyed that they put an AWESOME BAF with a bunch of craptacular character rehashes.

Here is one way to think about it. How many lines does Mattel produce?

Barbie, Hot Wheels, WWE, Cars, MOTU, Ghost Busters, and so on.

Most of these lines that are sold at retail have been sold out during Christmas or sell out quickly online, DCUC clogs pegs at most retailers (strike one)

DCUC seems to take forever to show up at retail (strike two)

Then when ever they do a press release of the next wave the forums light up with nothing but negative comments. They have already canceled the GL line because they say the Horseman are already to busy to contend with a new line. Personally if it were my call, with so much negativity surrounding this line I would pull the plug to save the company the aggravation. I personally love this line and would hate to see it happen, but with all this negativity this could become a reality. How do people who call themselves fans and collectors never have anything positive to say about what they collect? Also if you don’t like something about it why do we have to have another negative post every time someone posts a positive?

So you don’t like this wave we got it the first dozen times you told us.

How about you people stop telling us not to offer our opinion? This is a discussion forum: if you don't want discussion, including critical discussion, go elsewhere. In your view, maybe the people who don't like this wave are endangering the line with our negativity. But in my view, the people who are supporting this foolish wave are damning the line to failure if the Powers That Be at Mattel don't catch wind of displeasure, and fast.

• Like 1

The simple matter of this wave is that it isn't the unqiue Lantern characters. These costumes are NOT what these characters are sporting right now. They are story-specific costumes that really is DC Direct's area of expertise. That is why a lot of us here are posting our intent to pass on this wave. We don't just blindly buy what Mattel offers, kiss their feet, and praise the lord that we are even lucky to get 6" figures. If we don't like a wave, we have the power to post our displeasure and skip it. If you think this negativity is going to kill the line, that's your problem.

• Like 1

All I want to say is that I totally agree that people will back peddle once they see these. I like only a coupel in the wave, but I'm going to buy them all. I bet I'll be happy about owning these figures. I enjoy blackest night and do think they should've spread it among a couple waves, but what can you do. It seems like plenty of people already enjoy this. Like on bigbadtoystore, its already sold out. So plenty of people like and will buy this wave. I hope dcuc doesnt get cancelled, so stop complaining. Be glad they're making us toys.

The internet has become an outlet for people to whine, cry, and complain. The few that dont like this wave will post on every site, blog, and even Facebook. The haters will be the most outspoken. I hope Mattel will continue to produce DCUC despite the crybabies that can hide behind monitors.

Chopz

Yeah, it's a good thing I can hide behind a monitor, because I'd sure be afraid to tell a big bad toy company to its face that it made a poor choice.

Seriously? -rolleyes-

Nice use of hiding behind sarcasm aswell.

I would think my meaning wasn't "hidden," but in case you had trouble parsing, I'll state it explicitly: I thought the sentiment expressed in his post was stupid.

Clear enough?

His point was that $h*t happens, if people don't get what they want then that's life. Mattel's not going to just call back all the action figures because SOME people didn't like it. Why would I need it to be any more clear? I got that you were using sarcasm, or do you need me to tell you what sarcasm is?

End post with ambiguous statement?

• Like 1

I never said iI didn't want to hear other people's opinions, But do I have too hear the same thing said 20 different ways from the same person? Or listen to them bash someone everytime they post an opinion that isn't YOURS.

His point was that $h*t happens, if people don't get what they want then that's life. Mattel's not going to just call back all the action figures because SOME people didn't like it. Why would I need it to be any more clear? I got that you were using sarcasm, or do you need me to tell you what sarcasm is?

End post with ambiguous statement?

Oh, I have no illusions that Mattel won't "call back" these figures. The writing is on the wall for wave 17, and it's a train wreck that's going to happen whether we like it or not. My concern is the future of the line. You realize they're plotting out future waves right now, correct? My hope is that if the people who have been fans of this line for the past several years speak up that this is a bad idea, and then if the wave actually fails, MAYBE Mattel will get it through their skulls so we can get back to the good stuff for future waves.

Or we could just all be a bunch of sycophantic yes-men who will lap up anything we can get for fear that master might stop loving us if we don't.

I never said iI didn't want to hear other people's opinions, But do I have too hear the same thing said 20 different ways from the same person? Or listen to them bash someone everytime they post an opinion that isn't YOURS.

You don't have to "hear" anything. Don't read the forum, or put people on ignore if you don't like what they have to say.

But in my view, the people who are supporting this foolish wave are damning the line to failure if the Powers That Be at Mattel don't catch wind of displeasure, and fast.

This wave has three major DC heroes, a major DC villain, a well-known Batman villain and a C-n-C fans have had on top of their wishlists for a long time.

Exactly how is supporting this wave "foolish" and "damning the line to failure"?

• Like 1

This wave allows guys like me who only want certain figs, instead of the whole wave, to pick what they like and then make them fit our needs.

Example: The Scarecrow: Just paint the arms and you to a regular Scarecrow without all the yellow ring crap.

Wonder Woman: If I can't find Star Sapphire, then I will get her.

Lex Luthor: never owned the original Apokolips suit version, so this one looks good, with a new head sculpt.

The only downside is wanting to collect the Anti-Monitor pieces ...

While the GL's and the Flash look good as far as costumes go, there is no real desire to own them ...

on to wave 19!!!

and now i read because dcd did those figures allready, mattel should not do them now? lol, this is like marvel legends and marvel select all over again, lol. different companys guys wich means different lines. they are not meant to be mixed. some do and thats ok but every company can do whatever they want to do with character selections. i believe that a lot of people have been dissapointed in the past and thats why they are overprotective just to see their favorite characters made into the dcuc. i can not say how manny times i started a new marvel or dc line, just to believe that i will have a great and finaly a unique collection of all the characters i love. i dont believe that the world will end 2012 and that mattel and dc will go on for a long time. matty said that the line is doing great and a lot will come, down the road. so let this be our new years wish and lets support this line to the end and let them hear us from every corner of this world, that we are the fans who want everything. wow now i feel better

guitar.gif893USA1-thumb.gifguitar.gif893USA1-thumb.gif

Okay, I don't usually say anything but if you believe this wave is going to hang around on the pegs longer than 2 months, well maybe Atom, you are not thinking about the business of this line. I would have professionally left out Atom and put in BL Superman w/whited out eyes. Every Mom, Pop or casual collector/buyer will recognize all the DC characters in this wave except maybe Atom, different uniform or not. This wave is going to sell and sell, period! Of course unless you live in an area of the US where superheroes in your stores don't usually sell out then yeah, same with this line. I am a DC Comics fanatic. I have right now 45 issues I subscribe to each month and have been reading DC Comics since age 12 and yep I have quite a few comics, lol. I love the DCUC and I have bought every figure in their classic or modern uniforms. Bottom line, this is a part of DC's unique history!! The Blackest Night storyline is a part of DC's unique history as is the same with DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths. A few of Earth's Greatest heroes being selected to be lanterns of the spectrum was a story to me. I was going to have to pay a customizer $40-$100 a figure to have this same selection made so thanks Mattel for saving me some money!

I really don't understand why its so hard for others to understand. Most people do not want an entire wave dedicated to a particular theme. I can see if a wave had a theme of 2 to 4 characters but having the entire wave is not appealing to most people. I personally wouldn't like any wave to be entirely story specific, I like the varied diversity. Wave 11 was a Green Lantern themed wave but it still had diversity, you had Kilowog, John Stewart, The Shark, Cyborg Superman and Katma Tu, but look at the diversity - The Question and Stephenwolf. IMO it was GL overkill but at the very least the other guys didn't make it a GL wave completely and the Shark is mainly a GL villian but fits into other DC characters as well...same as Cyborg Superman. Also I said it before there is a line already dedicated to GL, so why waste a spot in the DCUC?

I really don't understand why its so hard for others to understand. Most people do not want an entire wave dedicated to a particular theme. I can see if a wave had a theme of 2 to 4 characters but having the entire wave is not appealing to most people. I personally wouldn't like any wave to be entirely story specific, I like the varied diversity. Wave 11 was a Green Lantern themed wave but it still had diversity, you had Kilowog, John Stewart, The Shark, Cyborg Superman and Katma Tu, but look at the diversity - The Question and Stephenwolf. IMO it was GL overkill but at the very least the other guys didn't make it a GL wave completely and the Shark is mainly a GL villian but fits into other DC characters as well...same as Cyborg Superman. Also I said it before there is a line already dedicated to GL, so why waste a spot in the DCUC?

the green lantern classics line is canceled after wave 2 thats why.

These decisions were made before we knew about the Green Lantern classics. The Rainbow Lanterns didn't appear out of nowhere. Even still if they just removed at least two characters and had added regular DC characters it wouldn't be so bad, like I said I like the BL Hal and the BL Flash. The AM looks awesome, but the rest are so, so. All things considered its not all bad, you either want them or you don't but its no shock that people aren't interesting in entire themed waves. Heck what makes the LOSH pack so great is that it isn't under the standard wave, its an all shot at once outside the main line which is where this wave should of been placed.

"Most people do not want an entire wave dedicated to a particular theme." This seems an odd sentiment from someone who was so passionately defending an entire Superfriends wave. Stuff you like: Good. Stuff you don't like: Bad?

And for full disclosure, I have no interest in, and will skip this wave, and, if it comes out, the Superfriends wave as well. I'm not a completist, I don't buy multiple sets, and I don't buy whole waves of figures I don't like. Which won't cause the DCUC line to end.

These decisions were made before we knew about the Green Lantern classics. The Rainbow Lanterns didn't appear out of nowhere. Even still if they just removed at least two characters and had added regular DC characters it wouldn't be so bad, like I said I like the BL Hal and the BL Flash. The AM looks awesome, but the rest are so, so. All things considered its not all bad, you either want them or you don't but its no shock that people aren't interesting in entire themed waves. Heck what makes the LOSH pack so great is that it isn't under the standard wave, its an all shot at once outside the main line which is where this wave should of been placed.

yeah but the next two waves are as rumors go super friends and golden age themed. so should the modern fans cry out now and say that this all bs? the success of the LOSH box is yet to be seen. sure i would be happy to get that superboy but the legion is boring to me. i am all happy for fans to get this box do. one wave out of 4 or 5 with modern figures isnt bad even if they are just from one corner of the dcu. i am like you, i wanted these also in the green lantern wave. it makes more sense to me but as matty said, the horsemen do so manny sculpts that they cant fallow. so i am happy what i can get, if old or new. i hear that a lot of dc fans dont even read comics now a days and still they complain about a wave, they dont even know about. thats weird for me, thats all.

"Most people do not want an entire wave dedicated to a particular theme." This seems an odd sentiment from someone who was so passionately defending an entire Superfriends wave. Stuff you like: Good. Stuff you don't like: Bad?

And for full disclosure, I have no interest in, and will skip this wave, and, if it comes out, the Superfriends wave as well. I'm not a completist, I don't buy multiple sets, and I don't buy whole waves of figures I don't like. Which won't cause the DCUC line to end.

I menat completely themed. Wave 17 is all GL Blackest Night

The Superfriends wave is not completely Super Powers themed. Like I mentioned when Wave 11 they broke it up which is a good thing. Your reading me out of context.

I remember I think it was last month Mattle had a poll on Facebook for figures that we wanted. It was from JSA,Freedom Fighters All-Star Squadron and some other ones there was even ones for the villians of JSA. So we may see these guys as a theme wave in 19,20 or even 18 if the rumor of the Superfriends for 18 is not ture. I do understand that there is people hear not liking this wave and that they don't want to get them. from the 17 wave that has come out or soon to come out. I haven't ever got every character from that wave. For exsmple. Wave 2 all I got out of that wave was Black Manta. I wanted Firestorm and Aquaman from that wave but couldn't fine them but still the other 2 that was in that wave the red/blue Superman and Harilly Quinn I didn't want from that wave. So are you people now going to get mad at me for not wanting Red/blue Superman and Harilly Quinn. If so then you guys need to grow up. I myslef am happy for the rainbow Lantern wave and can't wait for them. If people don't want them that is fine with me. I don't really like the figures that DCD may but I do have some of them. I really don't care how DCD make there figures Mattles I really like how they are done. So lets ends this fight what is done is done.

• Like 1

yeah but the next two waves are as rumors go super friends and golden age themed. so should the modern fans cry out now and say that this all bs? the success of the LOSH box is yet to be seen. sure i would be happy to get that superboy but the legion is boring to me. i am all happy for fans to get this box do. one wave out of 4 or 5 with modern figures isnt bad even if they are just from one corner of the dcu. i am like you, i wanted these also in the green lantern wave. it makes more sense to me but as matty said, the horsemen do so manny sculpts that they cant fallow. so i am happy what i can get, if old or new. i hear that a lot of dc fans dont even read comics now a days and still they complain about a wave, they dont even know about. thats weird for me, thats all.

You guys are taking what I said out of context. Themed waves are fine IMO just as long as they are not completely themed. Wave 11 was GL themed but you did have the Question and Steppenwolf to break it up. Wave 17 is ALL GL, BL which IMO is not a good idea. The Super Friends wave is themed for Super Friends but not entirely based on the Superfriends, this wave has a rumored Manhunter and Metallo which are two who never appeared in the cartoons.

Truthfully, I could see why having themed Waves could be bad from a business standpoint, but from a fans perspective I am all for it. Wave 16 for instance. I would love to have a Bane figure, but am not really psyched about picking up the Creeper or a Jonah Hex. As a Batman fan it would be easier to sell the BAF if those two were replaced by a new Scarecrow, Freeze, Hugo Strange, Commissioner Gordon, etc. I love Batman so a wave with all of Batman in it and a BAF Bane would be an instant buy. As a GL fan and a Blackest Night fan, Wave 17 is an absolute dream come true. I'm not kissing Mattels feet when I buy it, I'm genuinely excited that they went with the figures of this wave. And if Super Friends is Wave 18, great! I have no interest in Super Friends or a BAF Indian dude (Yup I said Indian dude cuz I cannot remember his name off the top of my head) so I won't buy it. As I said earlier, from a business standpoint they do things like the BAF and non themed waves so that I will pick up a Creeper or a Kamandi (Ultra Humanite's not enough to pick that guy up). For all of you who saw Wave 17, didn't want it, and said, "Great! I'll save some money!" I'm right with you. I'd rather feel that way than have a box full of Obsidians to complete a BAF I have nominal interest in.

• Like 1

Truthfully, I could see why having themed Waves could be bad from a business standpoint, but from a fans perspective I am all for it. Wave 16 for instance. I would love to have a Bane figure, but am not really psyched about picking up the Creeper or a Jonah Hex. As a Batman fan it would be easier to sell the BAF if those two were replaced by a new Scarecrow, Freeze, Hugo Strange, Commissioner Gordon, etc. I love Batman so a wave with all of Batman in it and a BAF Bane would be an instant buy. As a GL fan and a Blackest Night fan, Wave 17 is an absolute dream come true. I'm not kissing Mattels feet when I buy it, I'm genuinely excited that they went with the figures of this wave. And if Super Friends is Wave 18, great! I have no interest in Super Friends or a BAF Indian dude (Yup I said Indian dude cuz I cannot remember his name off the top of my head) so I won't buy it. As I said earlier, from a business standpoint they do things like the BAF and non themed waves so that I will pick up a Creeper or a Kamandi (Ultra Humanite's not enough to pick that guy up). For all of you who saw Wave 17, didn't want it, and said, "Great! I'll save some money!" I'm right with you. I'd rather feel that way than have a box full of Obsidians to complete a BAF I have nominal interest in.

LOL...hey Obsidian is cool man...lol, seriously though you didn't like his outfit, I think that is what really makes him.