SPECIAL MISSION: BRAZIL (II) - CON SET

Cmdr_Y

Well the club sent out an email yesterday with a link to the PDF brochure for the next convention. Here's what it said about the convention set:

Mission Brazil II Set

The 1980s brought us many captivating missions and outstanding special operations teams. This year we are proud to bring you a reimagined version of one of the most memorable vintage sets, G.I. Joe Special Mission: Brazil. This updated fan favorite set includes 15 figures in the 25A body style including unique Brazilian characters and Python Patrol

troop builders. Every collector will want these 25A style action figures from this set!

The G.I. Joe figures include Captain Claymore, Leatherneck, Wet-Suit, Mainframe, Dial-Tone and features the female secret agent, Sparta!

The Cobra figures include two Python Tele-Vipers, six Python Troopers and features the elusive Steel Cobra (Cobra de Aço)! Each of these great teams comes with their classic weapons and accessories in this exciting 2011 fifteen figure boxed set. Mission

Brazil II will be a great addition to your collection!

Make sure you are there for package pick-up on Thursday night so that you won’t miss this year’s souvenirs! These convention exclusive souvenirs will feature some highly sought after vehicles and international action figures. Plus, all these limited edition products will have a major roll in the exclusive 2011 GIJoeCon comic book!

http://www.gijoecon.com/fl2011/2011gijoebrochure.pdf

Thoughts: I guess that's pretty cool. I'm more of a RAH guy, but I can certainly see the appeal. Finally we'll get a 25A Cover Girl! (sparta)

I could care less about having Python Patrol Televipers. I wish they would put out some regular single carded 25th anniversary ones at retail instead. Hopefully they will in the near future. I am one of those that say the collectors club is BS.

really why should we be? even if you can afford them it's not a good investment, and the value for plastic is insane. Go buy the other video game system you don't have or something. It's your money etc. but i just don't see these as wise. There is a limit to how much we should pay for plastic.

really why should we be? even if you can afford them it's not a good investment, and the value for plastic is insane. Go buy the other video game system you don't have or something. It's your money etc. but i just don't see these as wise. There is a limit to how much we should pay for plastic.

Amen, Rev. Preach on, brother.

I will probably skip it again this year because of the price... but I am interested in seeing them...

who knows, maybe my budget will be in better shape by the time the con rolls around

I will probably skip it again this year because of the price... but I am interested in seeing them...

Man, all this talk about price. The nature of the hobby is to overpay for meaningless plastic figures that remind us of our childhood.

This is just a little more extreme, but the same principle. So for me, it's all good. Python Patrol holds a special place in my heart. Back in 1991, when I rediscovered my love for GIJoe, I found the full set at a discount store 3 miles from my house. At 12 years old, I put them on layaway and every week I walked those three miles and paid for another figure.

Special Mission Brazil represents the road not traveled. In 1986, I remember going to Toys R Us with my parents and seeing whole end cap of those boxed sets. I wanted the set, I wondered endlessly about the cassette tape and the story of those characters... but I was there for a Birthday gift, and I chose something else... probably a Transformer at that point. All these years later, I can see them clearly on that endcap. Now, they will be mine.

The International figures are just icing. I first learned about them in 1994, during the 30th Anniversary Convention on the Intrepid, and later through Lee's Action Figure News & Toy Review Convention special... I've been obsessed ever since.

Having Cover Girl (through a sneaky backdoor Sparta "repaint"), De Aco, Claymore and possibly Relampago and Gatilho (Argentinian Python Patrol repaints of Airborne and Ripcord... seems like a no brainer)... just warms the cockles and loosens the pursestrings with ease.

Now I just have the decide if I'm going to this thing, or getting the Hometown Heroes package, and hitting up "the boys" to do some on-site acquisition for me!

• Like 1

so I went ahead and gobbled up a couple of Python Patrol figures off of eBay while they're still cheap. I got a couple of Officers, some Vipers (foreign seller on that), and I scored a nice lot of CG's. I'm all set already! I'm also such a sucker for the con figures.

Man, all this talk about price. The nature of the hobby is to overpay for meaningless plastic figures that remind us of our childhood.

@hmmm@ uuuh, yeah....if you're buying actual toys from our childhood, something vintage and rare. Some company sees what collectors are willing to pay to recapture their youth and think to themselves "hey, we'll just make it new and charge what it costs to buy vintage".

It's the same plastic that they use on every other action figure on the shelves today for 8-10 bucks.

As far as the set goes, I was never a fan of these sets and thought a lot of the color schemes were outrageous. Mission Brazil was not the worst by far, but nothing I ever purchased even back when it was on the shelves in the 80's. I passed then and I'll definitely pass now. The only sets like this I ever purchased and still WOULD, is the Night Force theme. Made about the most sense to me and had the best aesthetic appeal also.