POC Wave 3 COBRA Shock Trooper-First Impressions:

ARROW

Don't worry, I'm not going to make a series of these posts--I've just been lucky finding these at my local retail. I'm stopping with this thread.

So, to wit: My first thoughts remain that I think the look of this figure is still too conventional for COBRA, but then I'm reminded of the reported statements from the Hasbro designer responsible for it; that the figure is supposed to be an upgrade to the classic COBRA Blue-shirts.

Okay.

I like that, I do.

It makes sense to me, its a logical update, and I can see COBRA still sticking with the "old look" for the guys who stick around post and guard/maintain the Terrordromes, or who crew/maintain some of the vehicles and gear.

But the notion sticks with me........despite the cool idea........still too conventional. Maybe a few more of them will convince me..........we'll see.

No two ways about it, I think this guy wins the army builder-candidate for 2010-2011. They better pump him out in bulk because if the idea takes hold he's gonna be in demand like there's no tomorrow. Make a 5-pack called the "Shock Squad" or something and colour one of them red for a squad leader. Don't even have to package it different, just BUNDLE 5 of the cards together with a tape labelled with the term and they'll sell.

And there's a method to the madness there.

You buy 5 of them, and then you have a hope........a hope in hell of displaying these guys with all the gear they come with.

I mean, but...........damn..........there's a lot of stuff. Its like "Pit Commando-itis" is some lingering condition in the Hasbro Design pool. Three primary assault weapons, and three secondaries, plus a ballistics shield ( which is set up so he can hold it really nicely), walkie talkie that plugs into his back ( neat!), helmet, respirator mask and goggles.

I think the most inspired item is the Taser--the thought of a sadistic Trooper using the thing over and over and over on some hapless opponent just strikes me as funny (in a Robot Chicken sort of way).

I have TWO complaints: one is that he has so much gear as an individual figure that there's no place to put most of it on his person. He needs a holster for that lovely Taser at least. I took the sledge hammer and the "sanbats" ( electrified baton/nunchucks and slid those down the handle on his back to hold them there. a bit awkward, but serviceable.

The other gripe is that his goggles SOMETIMES fall off just by looking at them. Maybe its a horoscope thing, y'know.....a phase of the moon, second house of Pluto sort of thing. There is a sweet spot where they will grab on and hold, and you can put the figure upside down and they will not fall off. Its NOT a hassle thus far, so don't let it be a deal-breaker for anyone.

Sculpt-wise, he's as intricate as Snake-Eyes in this wave. loads of sculpted folds and detail on the uniform and assault vest.

I think the design is missing a belt gear, and drop-down kit--but that omission may have been deliberate. Load him up with anything more and he starts looking like a human tank--probably not the right idea for a neo-blue shirt. The tampoed COBRA markings all over him make it real clear who's side he's on--as does the shield.

Line him up with some buddies, and march them down Main Street-Springfield and you know COBRA has come to town.

The figure is going to be a hands-on one for a while--if only to pick the RIGHT combo of gear/weapons.....and if the figure is in hand, it means someone is having fun.

Okay..............he's good, bordering on great. Snake Eyes still leads in my eyes, but this figure is in a not-bad second place--at least for this wave. I like the Alley Vipers more from wave 1, but these guys work just fine as the new-fangled COBRA Grunts. Can't go wrong here--go get 'em.

• Like 2

I disagree with your assessment that this figure is the army builder of the year. The Alley Viper is way more versatile than the Shock Trooper. The Shock trooper's goggles are just for show and can't even be used. The figure itself isn't even that great. Maybe the newness of the figure has you believing it's the bee's knees. It's really not.

• Like 1

I disagree with your assessment that this figure is the army builder of the year. The Alley Viper is way more versatile than the Shock Trooper. The Shock trooper's goggles are just for show and can't even be used. The figure itself isn't even that great. Maybe the newness of the figure has you believing it's the bee's knees. It's really not.

Says who?

Says you?

Your mileage may vary.

Mine does.

Is that fair?

Don't forget: the comments are MY first impressions, and therefore my opinions. They are not wrong, and neither are your opinions about the figure wrong here--they are just different.

I did specify my reasons though: all the gear he comes with. The Alley-Viper has gear enough for at least 3-4 different looks, right? The Shock Trooper has enough gear for at least 6-8 different looks.......the weapons load-out being the big factor here. Is he a little on the mundane side............sure, but then the COBRA troopers ( blue-shirts) were always that way to begin with.

I DO think the figure is the bee's knees.

Of course, you can see it completely different, and that's your choice.

• Like 3

I think this figure looks great, and even though I've gotten away from army building, it's gonna be hard not to buy at least three of them. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a few eventually.

Well, Christmas and Santa were good to me.........actually my step-sons were: they gave me 3 more Shock Troopers ( as well as Duke and Storm Shadow from POC3), so I now have a squad of 4.

I can say that by configuring the Shock Troopers a bit differently, and with different weapons, you can get some decent novel looks. The gas mask does friction fit to the head--so you don't necessarily need the helmet on the figure. Very SAS-feel about the figure when set up this way.

In some ways, I like the clean look of just the helmet on the figure, no goggles or gas mask.

I do have an official dislike though: the name of the shock batons. They call them "san-bats"--ugh---and I have taken to calling them "stun-chuks" instead.

has anyone gotten these at retail? The first time I saw them on HTS they were sold out

They're at Target right now!

I agree, this is a great figure. It actually ties with if not slightly edges out the new SE for me for one (or two) simple reason and that's the new wrist articulation. I wish they'd given that to SE b/c he could really use it.

I have no problem with all the accessories though. This is Hasbro giving us Accessory Packs without the hassle of buying them. It's a great way to up-arm other older figs. My only request with this guy would've been a backpack on which much of the extra stuff might stow. A simply pack with a few loops could've held the sledge, riot-shield, batons etc. Then again, SWAT guys don't haul all their crap around with them. It's all in the truck and they grab what they need for the mission so it's not a big deal for me.

twoup.jpg

It actually ties with if not slightly edges out the new SE for me for one (or two) simple reason and that's the new wrist articulation. I wish they'd given that to SE b/c he could really use it.

The new Snake Eyes DOES have the new wrist articulation.

I'm going to piggy-back this on to this thread:

Duke.

POC wave 3 Duke to be specific.

A curious figure.......if you hate Duke, you'll have more reasons to hate him. There's not a lot of justice done here.

If you are okay with Duke, or even like him, then there's an okay figure under it all.

The back pack rocket launcher........THING is quaint. It doesn't fire, there is no spring-loaded action here. The projectiles are held in place with small tabs.

I don't even think of this thing as a rocket launcher per se, because the munitions are so small. Instead......I kinda see it as a sort of grenade/land mine luncher/dispenser.

A wildly over-engineered one.

I mean it looks kinda neat and all, but its so completely improbable that..........well, it overwhelms the figure it fits on.

And when you take it off.........there's Duke.

A rather basic , sort of bare-bones Duke.

With the "Alien pulse rifle" he's sort of cool too.

The uniform is a bit basic, but there's some nice sculpted detailing there. I put on a belt from some VvV/Spytroops thing I had kicking around just to give the figure a bit more bulk. Looked at various helmets and head covers for him too, but nothing fit to my satisfaction. (the crown of the head and hair is a shade too high)

He needs some holster, or knife scabbards--just a little bit of extra kit to make the figure pop. Withe pulse rifle he's pretty cool looking, but with ANY cool assault rifle he looks right at home.

The back pack aside, THIS is a figure that is ideal to command a vehicle. The head sculpt is great--looks just like the Jungle assault Duke from POC1. He should fit in just about anything, because there are no parts sticking out of the legs or waist.

At the end of the day, he's just Duke........a nice Duke to be sure, but not a spectacular Duke.

Jungle Assault Duke took the character to a different (and welcome) place, but this one doesn't.

It actually ties with if not slightly edges out the new SE for me for one (or two) simple reason and that's the new wrist articulation. I wish they'd given that to SE b/c he could really use it.

The new Snake Eyes DOES have the new wrist articulation.

Ha yeah - I just realized! Score and I take it all back!