DC Universe - Rumored Wave 18 Super Friends

Superpowers1980

If this is true then this would be the first wave that I completely passed on..

Well, you can't please everyone. As for us long suffering Superfriends fans this is a dream long over do.

I personally want to thank Mattel for giving us the characters many have us have been waiting for since The Superfriends debut.

• Like 2

I'm glad there is more suport for the Superfriends then I ever had though. I though only me and Superpowers1980 where the only ones on here that like them.

Well, you can't please everyone. As for us long suffering Superfriends fans this is a dream long over do.

I personally want to thank Mattel for giving us the characters many have us have been waiting for since The Superfriends debut.

"Long Suffering?" No, not really. Superfriends (and particularly Super Powers) fans have gotten plenty of love in the DCUC line. I don't object to Mattel making a wave that's Superfriends-heavy, but I won't be buying much, if any of it. There are others that are going to feel the same way. Much the same as the DCUC Wave 17 "Deputy Lantern" wave...there are people turned off by the concept (though at least that wave has a critical build-a-figure attached to it). All of this could lead to some heavy pegwarming for both waves since the collector base is divided (unless both waves are exclusives of some kind). I think these "Themed" waves are a big risk by Mattel on a line that's already barely managing to stay on shelves as it stands. Target and TRU are clogged with refresh-case pegwarmers and Wal-Mart doesn't even carry the line in half (or more) of their stores now.

With the price increases, I have to fully admit that I'm going to be surprised if DCUC survives into 2012. Or at least survives as a mass-retail line. I could see them shifting to a Masters of the Universe Classics style model for DC figures pretty easily.

• Like 2

"Long Suffering?" No, not really. Superfriends (and particularly Super Powers) fans have gotten plenty of love in the DCUC line. I don't object to Mattel making a wave that's Superfriends-heavy, but I won't be buying much, if any of it. There are others that are going to feel the same way. Much the same as the DCUC Wave 17 "Deputy Lantern" wave...there are people turned off by the concept (though at least that wave has a critical build-a-figure attached to it). All of this could lead to some heavy pegwarming for both waves since the collector base is divided (unless both waves are exclusives of some kind). I think these "Themed" waves are a big risk by Mattel on a line that's already barely managing to stay on shelves as it stands. Target and TRU are clogged with refresh-case pegwarmers and Wal-Mart doesn't even carry the line in half (or more) of their stores now.

With the price increases, I have to fully admit that I'm going to be surprised if DCUC survives into 2012. Or at least survives as a mass-retail line. I could see them shifting to a Masters of the Universe Classics style model for DC figures pretty easily.

Well I did say you can't please everyone I'm sure you will be back when wave 19 comes out with the JSA, and we are long suffering just so you know, when it comes to characters like Apache Chief, Toyman, and El Dorado.

These will be first for all and long overdue. Superfriends are classic DC and the reason many from my gen started reading DC in the first place.

• Like 2

Well I did say you can't please everyone I'm sure you will be back when wave 19 comes out with the JSA, and we are long suffering just so you know, when it comes to characters like Apache Chief, Toyman, and El Dorado.

These will be first for all and long overdue. Superfriends are classic DC and the reason many from my gen started reading DC in the first place.

Hey, I loved Superfriends and Super Powers back in the day, too. I'm glad the folks that have held them near and dear to their hearts can get some of the figures they want. I'm just questioning the marketing rationale behind these "themed" waves. You could still give people the Superfriends characters they want by spreading them across waves like they did with the Super Powers figures. Putting all your eggs in one basket like this seems like a recipe for pegwarming (and as I said, the same is true of the "Deputy Lantern" wave that precedes this one). People might remember Superfriends fondly, but anyone that's gone back and watched it as an adult definitely knows that it's a massive cheese-fest, and a character like El Dorado is so obscure (yes, even to people that watched Superfriends...I watched it religiously and I barely remember the guy) that he's catering to a pretty small market.

But who knows? Maybe old school Adult Swim fans will pick the wave up for irony's sake. Hmm, now that I think about it, a Suited Scarecrow/Clark Kent/Harvey Dent body, Hawkman's wings...Guardian's head with some tweaking...Harvey Birdman DCUC figure!

Maybe the retailers are pushing for the themes, I dunno. I just know if I were doing things, I'd have done it this way:

Spread the Superfriends characters across waves the same way the Super Powers figures were. Still make 'em all (yes, even El Dorado and the Apache Chief BAF), just not all in the same wave. That or make the wave an exclusive or box set of some kind.

Bring the "Deputy Lanterns" out in two-packs with the "leader" of their respective Corps: Larfleeze w/ Lex Luthor, Wonder Woman and Star Sapphire, Flash w/ Saint Walker, Atom w/ Indigo-1, Scarecrow w/ (Corrected) Sinestro and bite the bullet and make Mera w/ Atrocitus (you can always reuse the mold to release a "normal" Mera later). Make it a sub-line of the Green Lantern Classics or a set of exclusives to tie in with all the movie hoopla. You can mix in the "new" figures into later waves of DCUC if you're worried about getting your money's worth out of the molds.

Ah well, it's easy to play armchair quarterback. I hope both waves do well, I really do, but at least from where I'm sitting, this line as a whole is not a runaway success story in terms of sales volume. Don't mistake me, I love the figures and think it's a great line, but sales seemed to really slow down when the price bumped up to about $15 a figure.

• Like 3

i love it when we are all talking numbers and deadlines and in reality we have no clue what makes the line a success or not. some love the new waves, some hate the new waves. as soon as we see them hanging somewhere we take them anyway because the sculpts are fantastic. the 4 horsemen are working on so manny lines and i give them credit for not doing more sublines. they did a great job mattel and the 4H. if it stops from the next wave on, i can say that we had a lot of great figures and a great collection. i forsee a great future. dont know why a line should die just because a wave i dedicated to a theme. makes no sense to me. atrocitus, larfleeze will come no matter what. these figures are sellers and if not i buy the dc direct ones. people aren't patient anymore. whats the big deal if you get blue flash before saint walker? i had a justice league without manhunter for a year, ohhhh my... the end of the world, cats and dogs living together and so on. be patient guys and be loyal to dcuc and maybe your figure is on a list as next to come.

• Like 1

Remember also that it takes roughly a year to implement any figure. I'm sure after last year's announcement of SP likenesses of Cyclone, Mantis, and Steppenwolf, etc there was a spike in online fanboy chatter about finishing off the beloved SP figures. So Mattel took that to heart and began the long process of getting those figures made as quickly as possible. Which is still a long time.

The same goes for the Blackest Night figures. At the height of BN fervor last spring, I'm sure everyone was chattering about Mattel making more BN related figures. And they took that into consideration and implemented wave 17. Being mostly redecos they were able to do it faster. Notice how they demured on Mera because she was a brand new tooling?

I agree with jmaq that clumping these waves together is a bit more risky than spreading them out in favor of variety in the line, but ultimately this is all a response to what finicky fanboys were clamoring for and implemented as quickly as possible in a realistic timeframe for Mattel's development dept.

To me if the Superfriends wave is ture just think about it. This will be the last one they would do. Cause they will have done all the Superfriends characters to make room for some other characters like you JSA characters that most people want. I myself don't care for the JSA other then Flash. If wave 19 is the JSA figures that I have had hear rumors of then I will get only Jay and not the others. Your not hearing me complain about JSA. Only thing is I don't want them other then Jay. So as soon as the Superfriends like if ture comes out the faster you will not have to see them out again.

Most people aren't complaining about the Super-Friends characters getting made at all, or saying that they shouldn't be made. They're more complaining about this "themed" wave idea. The JSA wave (and even this Superfriends wave) are still a rumors at this point, but the "Deputy Lantern" wave definitely points to Mattel switching the marketing for DCUC into waves with a stronger unifying theme.

I grew up with and loved the Superfriends, don't get me wrong.

I'm betting a great many of us did. I think it's great that Super Friends figures are being made. They are, in their own way, "classics" and worthy of inclusion. I just question the rationale behind putting them all in one wave, and as an adult collector, I'm not terribly interested in those characters anymore. I moved on from Super Friends to the comics themselves (Well, not entirely accurate, I was already a comic fan by the time I was watching Super Friends).

On the other hand, I do think it'd be hilarious to have the "multicultural pals" hanging out with Harvey Birdman on a shelf somewhere.

I'm betting a great many of us did. I think it's great that Super Friends figures are being made. They are, in their own way, "classics" and worthy of inclusion. I just question the rationale behind putting them all in one wave, and as an adult collector, I'm not terribly interested in those characters anymore. I moved on from Super Friends to the comics themselves (Well, not entirely accurate, I was already a comic fan by the time I was watching Super Friends).

On the other hand, I do think it'd be hilarious to have the "multicultural pals" hanging out with Harvey Birdman on a shelf somewhere.

I think the difference is that the entire wave wouldn't be Super Friends, just most of the characters. That would make more sense than an entire Lantern Wave. Again like wave 11 which was a GL themed wave did break it up with the Question and Deadman, that is what is needed for a super friends themed wave.

I would LOVE a Superfriends wave! Apache Chief as the C&C, here's the six I would want:

Toyman (SF version, but this could be a good one to go with a variant comic version)

Bizarro (Again, must be the SF version, but how about adding a Mr. Mxylplyk in as well?)

Scarecrow (SF)

Black Vulcan

Samurai

El Dorado

Absolute heaven here for me!

I'm glad there is more suport for the Superfriends then I ever had though. I though only me and Superpowers1980 where the only ones on here that like them.

What're youbtalkjng about!! I've been jonesin for this wave since I heard of it!!! Now I'm skipping the Lantern wave, but so getting this wave!!! -_-

What're youbtalkjng about!! I've been jonesin for this wave since I heard of it!!! Now I'm skipping the Lantern wave, but so getting this wave!!! -_-

When this wave was first rumored it was only a few who stood up for it.

When the heck is this wave going to be revealed? Is it at tf?

When the heck is this wave going to be revealed? Is it at tf?

I would say Toyfair.

I'm so happy for this wave can't wait to get them.