DC Universe - Rumored Wave 18 Super Friends

Superpowers1980

Everybody complained about the Wonder Twins yet they were quick sellouts and people went apeshit over not having Gleek. People complained about the slot Golden Pharaoh took yet he proved very popular. TNI people talk about slots and crap but who cares if they weren't in the comics they are still part of the DC lore, heck even their appearance and homage in JLU was fantastic. IT is amazing why people claim not to like or want these........we can accept the absurdity of Killer Moth and his outfit just because of he was in the comics yet because a couple of characters were made for the TV show people act as if its the worst thing in the world to have them in plastic form. I understand we all have our wants and stuff but I just don't get the hate for no reason other than they weren't in the comics?????

It also amazes me how people love Harley Quinn who also never appeared in the comics but was created for the cartoon yet people ate it up. Granted she was grafted into comic history she still originated through the cartoon so its no different and yet I never heard anyone say she has taken up a slot.

• Like 1

it amazes you that people might not like something you like?

...what is that in the wind always behind me, always contrary....it must be EldestSon.

People don't have to like what I don't like but some reasoning is beyond me. Like I said I bet anyone of the people who complains that they don't like them because they weren't in the comics likes Harley Quinn who is a character created from TV and not the comics.

Many people like Kamandi, I personally hate him. But if someone said they didn't like Kamandi becacause he doesn't share the same space and time with other DC Characters that would be just plain stupid.

Again, people signed at the thought of the Wonder Twins and they were a quick sellout and still fetch decent numbers on the secondary market.

I agree with Superpowers on this. Like alot of you guys want a Lex Luthor in tux I hated that outfit on him the one I like Lex is hisLex so suite the green one. If you guys like it fine you can buy it but me I hate it and will not buy it. Another character. The Metal Man I had never hear of them until I saw Batman Brave and the Bold. People like them to me they seem borading to me and that is why I will not get them. But to me the Superfriends has always been my favorites and so that is why I am happy if the rumor of them coming in the DCUC series cause I can get some of the characters that I always wanted from that cartoon.

Superpowers, you're comparing Batman: TAS to Superfriends? In my opinion, that's like comparing an established artists work of art to a child's drawing. Again, my opinion. That's why I'm not going to be picking up anything from Superfriends or Super Powers. I have no nostalgic attachment to either so I see nothing in the least bit pleasing to me.

it amazes you that people might not like something you like?

People don't have to like what I don't like but some reasoning is beyond me.

And vice versa.

Dude, if someone said they just didn't like the characters then fine, but people who don't like them soley based on the fact that they weren't in the comics is whacked. Seriously have a somewhat decent reason than something that absurd.

Dude, if someone said they just didn't like the characters then fine, but people who don't like them soley based on the fact that they weren't in the comics is whacked. Seriously have a somewhat decent reason than something that absurd.

It's no more absurd than you wanting them because they were in a cartoon you liked when you were a kid.

It's no more absurd than you wanting them because they were in a cartoon you liked when you were a kid.

Not at all. In truth any character in the Super Friends cartoons were interchangeable, they really didn't have any personality. However, the new additional characters looked cool and had similar personalities to the established heroes. If you could enjoy Superman as a kid from that show then what is the difference with Black Vulcan or Samurai who was the same basic mold just with different powers???

Superpowers, you're comparing Batman: TAS to Superfriends? In my opinion, that's like comparing an established artists work of art to a child's drawing. Again, my opinion. That's why I'm not going to be picking up anything from Superfriends or Super Powers. I have no nostalgic attachment to either so I see nothing in the least bit pleasing to me.

I understand if you have no nostalgic attachment to them, that is a lot more valid than someone who doesn't like them soley because they weren't in the comics. I have no nostalgic feelings for Manhunter and would be getting him only because he is a DC character and I am a completist. People act as if they are some abomination and that is what I don't understand.

Also Batman the TAS is comparable to the Super Friends in this manner. The point was aside from the maturity of Batman the TAS vs Superfriends both had characters made up just for the show. Harley has gotten a pass and to her credit is now fully intergrated into the comics, but even with that aside she is cut from the same cookie mold as the SF's guys only difference is the time and space and the results as to what was current and acceptable.

I would love to get all of them. Having ALL of the Super Friends is just too cool to pass up. Apache Chief, Black Vulcan, El Dorado , Samurai... These guys were great to have on the team. Many times it was THEY who saved the day.

The only stereotype that was obvious to me at the time was Apache Chief. Indians do not talk slow, they just wait to say something worth saying. ;)

Still no Hawk and Dove?

Oh Mattel, why do you hate me so...

I think the same way about a Captain Triumph figure.

Of course he hasn't had a big publishing history but more than a couple of the figures already released.

tell me about it, conduit is nowhere to be seen too. he was in the kenner assortment for crying out loud.lol. since i began reading brightest day and birds of prey i realy fell in love with hawk and dove. hey that ryhmes, so there is a poet in me after all. lol.

Still no Hawk and Dove?

Oh Mattel, why do you hate me so...

I think the same way about a Captain Triumph figure.

Of course he hasn't had a big publishing history but more than a couple of the figures already released.

tell me about it, conduit is nowhere to be seen too. he was in the kenner assortment for crying out loud.lol. since i began reading brightest day and birds of prey i realy fell in love with hawk and dove. hey that ryhmes, so there is a poet in me after all. lol.

Guys, guys, guys, they are coming eventually. This line is pushing forward and if the support is there I can't imagine us not getting those figures. The only one who may be the most difficult is Captain Triumph but you never, ever know. I also want a Hawk and Dove and have confidence we will see them, the only thing is wondering if we will see the male or female versions. Conduit was a great villain and I too want to see him, I have confidence that we will see him.

Superpowers, you're comparing Batman: TAS to Superfriends? In my opinion, that's like comparing an established artists work of art to a child's drawing.

You make a truly ironic comparison, considering the look of the Superfriends was based on the work of legendary artist Alex Toth, and the look of BTAS was based on the minimalist work of a lazy cartoonist.

I was never good with analogies. It's the writing of the show that never kept me interested, I have no problem with the art. I always found Superfriends so boring, and I didn't grow up with Super Powers figures.

Harley has gotten a pass and to her credit is now fully intergrated into the comics, but even with that aside she is cut from the same cookie mold as the SF's guys only difference is the time and space and the results as to what was current and acceptable.

You explain it in the same paragraph as saying you don't understand it. Harley started in animation, but has been a part of the DCU proper for over ten years - any similarity to the SF trio ends there. Look at her cardback from the DCUC - her first appearance is listed as her first comic appearance, not the B:TAS episode.

As an aside, there's a massive thread at Mattycollector where one of the guys from Critical Mess went over all of the history of the Super Friends/DCU in great detail, including Alex Toth's connections as mako mentioned, and tons of other stuff. Check it out, it's great reading. I personally never understood the connection that some folks still have to the SF cartoon; I watched it for years, but to me all it did was make me more interested in the comics, where these guys had personalities and history. The fact that the trio didn't exist in the comics made them vastly less interesting.

As far as passing on those two figures...easily. Don't care about 'em. The only reason I'd buy either would be if I wanted the C&C piece for a character, but if this lineup is true it saves me that bother (which will be fun after skipping wave 17 in its entirety...makes it easier to save up for the Legion box).

*edit* And let me clarify; if they make you happy, great! But for me, the cartoon doesn't hold nearly the pull, and therefore the characters that exist more or less only in that cartoon don't either. :)

So it looks like only me and Superpowers are the only ones hoping that the Superfriends are made. Infact when I first started collection DCUC figures the only characters that I wanted was from the Superfriends/Super Powers cartoon. But then there where some that I had like from the comics. Funny thing is my store is getting in comic books and the one that we had in Oct. of JLA had a drawing of Sameria in it. I was total blown away to see him in the comics cause only place I ever saw him was from the cartoons and the old Super Ppowers figures which I never could fine. I just did a seach and there was some comic books with them.

superfriends13.jpg

SuperFriends_38_Seraph.jpg

I wouldn´t get them because I don´t dig their costumes,really and they´re just multi ratial made up characters who´s existance was only show based. They are so whatever, that they didn´t make it into comics,and if they did, I STILL wouldn´t get them. I´ve skipped true DC characters in the past, so this would be even easier. Golden Pharaoh for example is a figure that I find visually appealing and cool looking, even if it wasn´t in the comics. Unlike Harley who became an instant classic, I´d be glad if they tossed all these made up SP characters in one wave so we could carry on with more characters.

I respect SP fans wanting this figures, but those are my reasons for not getting them.

• Like 1

So it looks like only me and Superpowers are the only ones hoping that the Superfriends are made. Infact when I first started collection DCUC figures the only characters that I wanted was from the Superfriends/Super Powers cartoon. But then there where some that I had like from the comics. Funny thing is my store is getting in comic books and the one that we had in Oct. of JLA had a drawing of Sameria in it. I was total blown away to see him in the comics cause only place I ever saw him was from the cartoons and the old Super Ppowers figures which I never could fine. I just did a seach and there was some comic books with them.

superfriends13.jpg

SuperFriends_38_Seraph.jpg

We're not the only ones, just the minority on this particular forum. I put it to you like this, the Wonder Twins have more disdain on them than the four extras from the Super Friends yet they proved to be a monster hit with DCUC. Golden Pharaoh was a character everybody claimed to have no association with because he wasn't in the comics and then everyone loved him. Tyr wasn't seen as important yet remains a big seller for Wave 14, the dude from China told me out of his Wave 14 stock, Tyr went first (yes I know Tyr is from the comics). I think the majority of people will enjoy these, just not the majority in this forum. The Super Friends were when things really started to heat up from comic based cartoons. the 60's and early 70's toons were ok but the later episodes of the Super Friends were the start in the right direction into what we have today and many people who grew up in that era remember fondly of them. This incarnation of the Super Friends was extremely popular so I predict these should do good. Sure Apache Chief didn't have much of a personality, well neither did Wonder Woman or Superman in those shows, any one character is basically interchangeable. They had cool costumes and cool powers and are given an A for effort in trying to bring diversity to the SF's.

Even some established DC characters aren't important to me, like Omac and Kamandi so I understand if they have no personal value. My only gripe is with people who just bash them because they weren't in the comics....umm, ok so what?? The Four Horsemen have a whole line of stuff that have no back story yet people love their products and that is on a lesser scale than the extra four. Heck, they have such a lasting stigma that they did appear in the JLU cartoon in what was one of the best episodes and were thought enough of to get a three pack in their original form in the JLU toyline........