So now that we have seen renegades

revsears

the one thing i noticed in the series is that the cobra vehicles for now each kinda of transform into another one or take on a different look it reminds me of mask that cartoon and toyline with all the transforming vehicles and they did make a matt trakker figure in the classics line so it makes me wonder if the toy line and the series will go that direction it'd be kinda cool.

My thoughts:

I love it. Love the style, love the pacing, the staging of shots. The premise works for me, and I can tell just two episodes in that the "renegades" aspect is just a season-long story arc.

I like the character designs, and they seem to be working better than most animated series because the characters seem to hold their models moreso than other shows I have seen---especially the female characters.

Animation itself is looking great, some smooth movements when the characters are in action and the use of CGI for the vehicles is now standard, but it works well here. Some good stretch & squash, which is rare to see in limited animation, and some decent anticipations

Voices are a bit underplayed for my liking, and the poses sometimes reflect that with some contradictory expressions cued up to dialogue--stuff that is played passive when it should be broader.

I like the colour palette used--nice and low-key--but cleverly used, as they are "thinking in colour" in this show, the dramatic set pieces in the first episode used a strong palette that the quieter stuff, which seemed to use a softer palette.

I like how the storyboarding was done here, good use of camera moves and frame-shifts. The character designs came into play here too, because the nice subtly angular looks of the characters works in creating interesting visual spaces in the frame. Its not just a series of blobs swinging about, but some interesting thrusts and slashes when characters fight. The style also allows for some nice static shots of faces and such, so the angles are interesting and not just bland face-on shots like a lot of other cartoons. They are doing interesting stuff here, getting cute looks on the ladies, and good expressions on the guys. This show would be a blast to draw.

The characters are what they are......Mindbender is irritating because that is a traditional archetype that works in this sort of ensemble. My one complaint is that is was not completely clear WHERE he was in the 2nd/3rd acts of ep #2--which is a minor continuity thing.

The first few episodes are the tricky ones, they are the first swings at bat and so they have the most fussing with them, and following episodes tend to calm down and "try less hard".......I can see that happening here already, having seen only two episodes. They are well done though, and the pace of the stories makes it clear they have a lot of things to say over the course of time.

My initial impression is that this series is going to please people that stick with it.

Oh, and I can tell ya from just how they staged the shots; Ripcord ain't dead. He'll be back at some point ( and possibly as a bad guy) even though they took his intro off the opening titles.

Loved episode 3. Felt a little let down by how Bludd lost his eye, but it is a kids cartoon. I really hope we get a bludd in that design (with alternate heads and one of the alley viper's helmets. He looks great. I too enjoyed Se not being uber invincible super ninja. I wouldn't mind seeing a Bludd's car as a vehicle, all the vehicles are done well, and I too get a mask vibe from them. It's up on the website now, i'll probably have to keep waiting in till they pop up online to watch them.

I've seen the first two episodes and while I don't love it the show isn't that bad. Characters were decent, although I can do without Ripcord coming back, and the small humor slip ins were well placed I thought. Mutton chop Roadblock took some getting used to and having Flint as an a$$hole fits with my view of the character.

Animation is fluid but very stylized.

I grew up in the 90s and didn't get my first GI Joe until 97 or something like that so I'm kinda used to the different versions of everything. I just take little pieces from the different continuities and make my own personal one, problem solved @firedevil@

I just watched episode three last night, and I have to agree, this one was really good. The story and pacing is well thought-out and the character of Major Bludd was really cool. Since the sunbow toon and the new toon are both on the same channel, it makes it easy to compare by watching them in the same night. Viewing it now, there was a lot, and I mean a LOT of really campy and far out crap going on in the Sunbow toon, and while it doesn't bother me so much, I don't see how anyone can #@$#@ about what's going on in Renegades after watching the old one. I love the way the episodes are sequential, because more story information and character background are revealed as it goes along. This gives me more reason to watch each one, as where the old toon has story arcs that are completed in just one episode. I also like the way more members of the team are introduced one or two at a time, it gives the writers time to flesh out the characters a little better as opposed to Sunbow's "wham! this is Wild Bill! he's a crazy redneck helicopter pilot". Don't get me wrong, I still love the Sunbow toons, and at times, it's like comparing apples to oranges, but as far as I'm concerned, Renegades has a lot going for it. Bravo, Hubsbro.

• Like 1

I just watched the SE/SS episode about the arashikage... and I have to say it was my least favorite so far. It seems they really took a step down from the fast-paced story that they had been telling and things dragged on a bit with the Arashikage tale... and that was only part 1

I just watched the SE/SS episode about the arashikage... and I have to say it was my least favorite so far. It seems they really took a step down from the fast-paced story that they had been telling and things dragged on a bit with the Arashikage tale... and that was only part 1

I couldn't disagree more. I liked this episode. A lot. With every new incarnation of Joe we get a slightly tweaked SE/SS origin, and this one is pretty solid. If they can keep SS from being the whinny piss pot he was in Resolute, I'll be happy.

(I always thought it was Tommy with the short "O" sound, like the American name, but it's really Tommy, long "O").

I couldn't disagree more. I liked this episode. A lot. With every new incarnation of Joe we get a slightly tweaked SE/SS origin, and this one is pretty solid. If they can keep SS from being the whinny piss pot he was in Resolute, I'll be happy.

Yeah I feel the same way. In fact, without sounding like blasphemy, i feel like this origin story is better than the one we got in the comics. THe action was great, and the humor though sparse, was actually funny. I'm really liking Roadblock's character quite a bit. I really can't wait to see the next episode. I'm geeking out.

Well, I still prefer the comic origin but with it being rooted in Vietnam, there's no way they're going to be using it for a modern retelling. That's just how it is unfortunately. But like I said, this one is solid.

(anyone else get those three little pink dots on the left of their screen when they watch the episodes on the Hub site???)

Just saw the Arashikage episode yesterday...it was the first episode I've seen so far, and I thought it was done very well. Not the GI Joe that I know, but the story was pretty good, and the voice acting isn't half bad. It has me interested enough to want to watch the other episodes I missed. Definitely a lot better than the crapfest that was Sigma 6.

The only thing I don't care for is the animation. Not a big fan of all of the characters looking Asian, or the drab coloring.

I just want to say the two-part christmas episode was amazing. End-o-story. Everything in the plot is slowly coming together and it just keeps me wanting more. So well done. IN MY OPINION, that is.

Looks like I'll be waiting until it gets released on a DVD or something. I haven't seen anything but episode 1 and nothing more.

the last few episodes were pretty boring to me... especially the Arashikage 2-parter...

and I am also getting tired of how some of the characters are just dumb.. especially Baroness and her glowing stun fireball gauntlet things...

I like what I have seen, the concept is interesting, making Cobra a legitimate albeit evil Company that supplies all kind of stuff. Not sure I like General Abernathys look. I want to see Gung Ho in there. He is my fav. I also like the little Cobra Industries Commercials that come on at the break, nice little touch. Making the joes outlaws feels alot like whats going on in the marvel universe, but overall it works.

Really like the newest episode. They introduced Destro, Scrap Iron, and cameoed Steeler. All-in-all they are doing a bang-up job. I'm really curious to see if the Renegade angle will last past the first season.

And according to next week's synopsis we are getting some Zartan and 'Nok love.

they are killing the line look at scrap iron,Steeler,destro hawk & beaker they just dont care about anything they are doing to the Characters. they are just doing what they want and thats it. they just stick them in here or there and thats it. this is not joe anymore!! it is A team, Mask and a few other toons/toys/tv wrapped in to this crap. the only reason i saw the new on was cuse my bud was over and he likes it but said that they are messing up a few of Characters he loves.

now we have the noks as urban cowboys come on this is so bad. i dont watch it unless my bud comes over and asks me to but this is the worse toon by far i bet they rip off SW next. also roc was not joe either it was just a action movie with joe name. hasbro even said roc sucked and they could do better. so we will see what joe 2 brings but i wont see it unless the trailers are really good. if renegades is the best they can do joe 2 will suck too. hey if ppl like it cool im not saying that u should like what i like in any way. for me this is how i see the toon and movie.

I'm loving the series so far. It ain't the Joes I grew up with, but I don't mind it. I see it as kind of like the Ultimate universe that Marvel does.