So now that we have seen renegades

revsears

I'm still in the middle of episode two but it's looking watchable so far. Still have the issues i've went over before.

MInor spoilers below:

I like how Se isn't really a part of the time at this point. Duke's voice seems off, but most everyone else sounds spot on. and Major Heldago? I think we all know who that really was.

I'm already looking forward to some action figures in POC style. Flint looks promising, and Mindbender, and Abernathy while, needing custom work, would have awesome potential. IF they call those secruity gaurds tele-vipers we have a winner.

Transformers prime on the other hand looks like a dumbed down kid show, set in almost empty world. The decepticons (not individuals) really clash and seem out of place. In fact nothing feels cohesive.

A more in-depth observation...

1. As I alluded above, the GI Joe premise is needlessly complicated here. Wasn't the "Army vs Terrorists" a substantial enough of a concept? Did it really need to be bogged down with this tired fugitive rebel angle?

2. The faces are all heavily stylized and not in a pleasant way. I realize it's a style choice but everyone's features were rough and crude. Facial expressions were limited.

3. I HATE HATE HATE characters... be they GI Joes operatives or super heroes... who hate their own code-names. For much of this, "Scarlett" was an insubordinate slur.

4. Yeah. That's the Ripcord from the movie. Apparently Hasbro is still in denial about Ripcord being the Jar Jar Binks of that film.

5. Snake-Eyes isn't even pretending to be a commando anymore. Now he's just the over-the-top too-cool-to-be-believed super ninja!

6. Phantom of the Opera Cobra Commander.

7. Nice backgrounds.

8. A few nice vehicles I wouldn't mind seeing as toys like the trucks and the choppers.

9. I have no interest in any of these character designs as figures. It's too bad after that great recent POC spurt.

10. Are those Wolverine chops on Roadblock??? Ugh!

ANyone know when they will put this online so I can watch it?

Yeah, I've nopt been able to watch it yet either. I guess WOW cable in Columbus Ohio has no HUB network, and it's not showing online yet?

A more in-depth observation...

1. As I alluded above, the GI Joe premise is needlessly complicated here. Wasn't the "Army vs Terrorists" a substantial enough of a concept? Did it really need to be bogged down with this tired fugitive rebel angle?

2. The faces are all heavily stylized and not in a pleasant way. I realize it's a style choice but everyone's features were rough and crude. Facial expressions were limited.

3. I HATE HATE HATE characters... be they GI Joes operatives or super heroes... who hate their own code-names. For much of this, "Scarlett" was an insubordinate slur.

4. Yeah. That's the Ripcord from the movie. Apparently Hasbro is still in denial about Ripcord being the Jar Jar Binks of that film.

5. Snake-Eyes isn't even pretending to be a commando anymore. Now he's just the over-the-top too-cool-to-be-believed super ninja!

6. Phantom of the Opera Cobra Commander.

7. Nice backgrounds.

8. A few nice vehicles I wouldn't mind seeing as toys like the trucks and the choppers.

9. I have no interest in any of these character designs as figures. It's too bad after that great recent POC spurt.

10. Are those Wolverine chops on Roadblock??? Ugh!

Sounds like issues I'll agree with you on once I see it, but I'm all about the toys, and not the cartoons to promote them or amuse those that always want an alternative version of these characters. If the toys are cool, I'm all for it.

I had a list floating around somewhere on this board in a renegades topic a bout how stupid some of the changes were. Even designs alone could have helped, just replace there hawk with the real one, make mindbender bald, and take off the chops on roadblock, and give CC a traditional facemask and bam it would bring about a lot more nostalgia.

I too doubt ripcord is dead, but if he is... I'd be sooo happy!

I'm also really pleased they have listened to us about the machiner gunner role, no Heavy Duty!

Field medic training (Some) is not the same as being a lifeline replacement. Hasbro made RB a pilot at one point (scarlet too i think) so it's just another training he had. This helps it a little as initially i was worried this would play a bigger role.

anyone else notice, despite being called Hauser, Duke was still a prior used name. Not sure I dig that.

• Like 1

Sometimes, certain materials need mood specific elements to thrive. The 80's (under Reagan) was PRIME for such a material like ARAH. I don't think that "mood" exists anymore. Hell, just the name in itself "A REAL AMERICAN HERO seems to annoy people and comes across too bold and arrogant in a politically correct world.

Now it's the "anti-government/anti-hero" types, that revolt against the establishment, that are popular with the pop culture of today. G.I.Joe doesn't fit in that world and probably shouldn't be forced. I mean REALLY? A REAL American HERO has been reduced to "renegades"? <_<

It's like watching Darth Vader get punked out and ruined all over again in a crappy prequel of a GREAT story.

• Like 1

I'm also really pleased they have listened to us about the machiner gunner role, no Heavy Duty!

Well, there appears to be no rhyme or reason to when or why they use HD instead of roadblock, so I'm sure HD will rear his head again in the future in some incarnation of GI Joe.

Still waiting till I see it to form my own oppinion of renegades...

To be completely fair? I didn't hate it. It definitely seems that they are shooting for a younger audience and also de-aging the entire cast (aside from General Abernathy) quite a bit. A lot of the characters are purely what we know in name and general aesthetics only, but obviously they were going to revamp the concept for a new generation.

As far as Cobra being seen as a good guy? I like it! It's a nice new spin. Instead of every episode being an oddball attempt at world domination - it will be a rogue group of Joes trying to bring down a world renowned and loved corporation that has some shady operations underneath the surface. I wonder if killing off Weems in the first episode was a little wink to the fans with a silent "yeah, sorry about that" or... if he will come back (I hope not)?

The angle of Flint hunting down our on-the-run Joes is an interesting take and blends in old "who do you like as Joe leader better?" mentality from the first cartoon and, assuredly, will allow for other Joes to be brought in to help try and take them down.

• Like 2

To be completely fair? I didn't hate it. It definitely seems that they are shooting for a younger audience and also de-aging the entire cast (aside from General Abernathy) quite a bit. A lot of the characters are purely what we know in name and general aesthetics only, but obviously they were going to revamp the concept for a new generation.

As far as Cobra being seen as a good guy? I like it! It's a nice new spin. Instead of every episode being an oddball attempt at world domination - it will be a rogue group of Joes trying to bring down a world renowned and loved corporation that has some shady operations underneath the surface. I wonder if killing off Weems in the first episode was a little wink to the fans with a silent "yeah, sorry about that" or... if he will come back (I hope not)?

The angle of Flint hunting down our on-the-run Joes is an interesting take and blends in old "who do you like as Joe leader better?" mentality from the first cartoon and, assuredly, will allow for other Joes to be brought in to help try and take them down.

^^ completely aggree

They said from the begining that this would be a revamp. I remember them saying it at JoeCon, also to include SE and SS past.

I liked it, maybe I watched it with an open mind not comparing it with the Sunbow series. Hope it takes off and we get lots of stuff because of it. I for one can't wait for friday to watch the new ep.

Friday was a great cartoon day. Started off with Transformers Prime, then GI Joe Renegades finishing off with Young Justice. Felt like a wittle kid again.

EM

• Like 1

So how is "SUPER DUPER UBER TECHNOLOGICAL BEST OF THE BEST MILITARY TEAM FIGHTING TERRORISTS" any less "tired"?

As CapnJeffro said, I thought this was quite timely in it's remaking Cobra into an evil Corporate Conglomerate. Yes, we obviously still have terrorists, but it seems like in this day and age, the shadowy corporation controlling all is a bigger bogey-man than a bunch of nutters trying to "take over the world". Here, Cobra already has taken over the world! This certainly ads an extra level of difficulty to the situation.

I also kind of like the idea that Joe does not appear to have the biggest guns. At one point in the fire fight at the plant someone says, "Where did they get lasers?!" or something to that effect, leading one to believe the Joes still use conventional ammo.

As for the characters... eh, not bad, not great. I like Lady Jaye, Flint's a douche, Duke's the goodey-two-shoes. Tunnel Rat is totally Beast Wars "Rattrap" - all he needs to say is "We're all gonna die." to make it a lock.

Snake Eyes is almost a parody of himself. You could get hammered in a drinking game in which you take a shot every time he slices something and then... puts his swords away standing dramatically.

Mindbender was annoying - I kept expecting him to say, "HAW PWND!" at some point.

I was never offended by Ripcord being made black and actually liked his character in the film, but this one was too obnoxious. Since they killed off Cliffjumper in the first Transformers ep and he appears to be gone for good, I'm guessing Ripcord was the sacrifice for this. Of course now, how will others get their names? :D

In any case, nothing shouted wow for me but I'll keep watching.

• Like 1

pass for me i understand they want to start fresh but man we have 30yrs of history so its hard to watch this. the animation is very choppy alot of the things felt forced to e. i dont like the ateam idea i mean this is joe. so i dont think i will watch this agin. i hope it gets kids involved. they look like skaters not a military unit. im glad rip cord die. the thing i find funny is the caned resolute cuse it was to graphic for kids while renegades had sheep skinned and bones showing still alive.

so how many revamps is this now with g i joe i think 7 just on the toons and movie. why cant they just build on what is already there add new members to the team..

• Like 1

so how many revamps is this now with g i joe i think 7 just on the toons and movie. why cant they just build on what is already there add new members to the team..

Again, still haven't seen it, but I don't think I need to in order to state that I agree with you and think this is a real problem.

GI Joe, like anything else, needs an IDENTITY. Who are they? Are they a Real American Hero? Are they an international unit? Are they the A Team? NO new audience is going to be able to identify with them if they keep changing with each new incarnation. The producers behind the scenes need to figure out what they want to run with and stick with it. Heck, even IDW doesn't know what they want to go with with GI Joe. They currently have two continuities going becasue they can't decide (it might be three, I'm not sure).

That's not good.

Again, still haven't seen it, but I don't think I need to in order to state that I agree with you and think this is a real problem.

GI Joe, like anything else, needs an IDENTITY. Who are they? Are they a Real American Hero? Are they an international unit? Are they the A Team? NO new audience is going to be able to identify with them if they keep changing with each new incarnation. The producers behind the scenes need to figure out what they want to run with and stick with it. Heck, even IDW doesn't know what they want to go with with GI Joe. They currently have two continuities going becasue they can't decide (it might be three, I'm not sure).

That's not good.

man i hear ya hasbro says they need to have duke,SE,CC & SS in every way cuse the kids know who they are. by look yes maybe but not as who that character is or his background. yes this is for the kids are joes are long gone but the problem i see is what roc did to the fandom this will do the same. its like hasbro wants to push out the old fans(well some of us) with these revamps. dose the brand need a revamp every once in awhile sure u need to keep it fresh and in line with today's world. i think resolute was the best they have done in along time.

also with all these revamps they lose more kids and fans then they bring in. i dread joe 2 the movie cuse i know it will have to stick with 1 in ways and that movie was so bad. i have said this before joe is the red headed step child of hasbro. when it was there first and best creation of its time. then Tf came and then SW and after 88-89 it went down hill and died. we are lucky it has come back but with all the revamps of the toys hasnt helped either. the 25th was a home run and they could of built off that where we could of had 2lines going under the same name. look we had 25th and res at one point. till they killed off res for ROC witch even hasbro has said sucked.

now we have poc the filler line and now renegades and if they go off the toon look joe will be over. time will tell but the fans all over the place have started to trim back on what they buy and how much they buy of the brand.

sorry for the long speech lol.