Who should play Superman?

yojoebro82

...in the new movie? Should it be an actor we know? If so, who? Should it be a no-name?

I have two picks and unfortunately, neither of them will ever happen:

Brandon Routh-should be given another shot, definately. In a cooler Superman movie, opposite a better Lois Lane, fighting a powerful villian, I think he'd kill it.

Tom Welling-I'm a Smallville fan and I know there are a ton of haters here, but I have yet to see one person deny that he's done right by the character. Say what you will about Smallville continuity and storylines, but he sells you on the fact that he will become Superman.

But like I say, neither of those will ever happen.

What do you think?

I'd choose Brandon Routh.

He channelled a lot of Chris Reeve playing Clark Kent, but less so as Superman. Given a different script and story......I think he can step up to the role properly.

Tom Welling sits in the same category for me as Dean Cain......... a choice made for TV casting, but not a "serious" contender--mostly because of looks.

Welling looks too.......what is the term......."baby-faced", too soft in his features. Granted, I've not seen a image of Welling coifed with a short hair-cut......so he MIGHT just be able to pull off the look. His playing the part for several years doesn't really sway me at all because I've never bought into what Smallville was selling......the adventures of Clark Kent having ALL his adventures before he even becomes Superman. There's nothing about him that has sold me that he's a fledgling Superman. Yeah......I'm a Welling-hater.

• Like 1

I for the ever loving life of me cannot fathom why people like Brandon Routh.........he has a weak chin and a personality that says nothing like, "I'm Superman". That entire crew should of been flushed down the toliet for being so terrible. Forget Lois Lane, they need to remove the Superman character...ughhh

Tom Welling is the best known actor who fits the bill. He has the looks but I don't know about the acting chops. Chris Reeve was the first to play Superman and Clark differently but he did it so well, even in how he stood, talked and walked. How his voice changed was awesome when you consider it had never been done before for the Superman character, people played both of them straight. After Chris the game changed, even the 1988 Superman voice actor changed voices. Welling has the look and build but may or may not have the acting ability.

I personally want an unknown who is a classically trained actor like Chris was, someone who could really go the measure and make Superman seem like a real character and not some actor playing pretend.

• Like 1

Chris Reeve was the first to play Superman and Clark differently but he did it so well, even in how he stood, talked and walked. How his voice changed was awesome when you consider it had never been done before for the Superman character, people played both of them straight.

Uh, you really don't know your Superman terribly well. Chris Reeve wasn't the first to play Clark Kent/Superman with two different pitches of voice, Bud Collyer was the first to play the character's speech patterns that way--back in 1940!. Everyone playing the role after Collyer took their cues from him. Collyer's distinctive delivery was also used as the characterization for Clark Kent/Superman in the Filmation animated series The New Adventures of Superman--where Clark Kent was played considerably meeker than Superman. This was also true of the Fleischer Superman cartoons--so there's a lot of precedents of the two personas being played differently.

• Like 2

I do like Routh as Supes.... I thought he did it great. I also like Tom Welling, but they really need to have taken Smallville to more of a Superman show...

I hear alot of people are saying it will be John Hamm from "Madmen".... and I think he might be kinda old and cheesy

I hear alot of people are saying it will be John Hamm from "Madmen".... and I think he might be kinda old and cheesy

Seriously?

Folks calling John Hamm "old" - well, I'll be here to laugh at your asses when you're "old". @loll@

I wouldn't mind an older Superman.

Look at previous Supermen.

It's not Superboy. I'm not going to fall for some wet behind the ears 22 year old wearing the tights.

Chris Reeve was the first to play Superman and Clark differently but he did it so well, even in how he stood, talked and walked. How his voice changed was awesome when you consider it had never been done before for the Superman character, people played both of them straight.

Uh, you really don't know your Superman terribly well. Chris Reeve wasn't the first to play Clark Kent/Superman with two different pitches of voice, Bud Collyer was the first to play the character's speech patterns that way--back in 1940!. Everyone playing the role after Collyer took their cues from him. Collyer's distinctive delivery was also used as the characterization for Clark Kent/Superman in the Filmation animated series The New Adventures of Superman--where Clark Kent was played considerably meeker than Superman. This was also true of the Fleischer Superman cartoons--so there's a lot of precedents of the two personas being played differently.

I have heard them all and I disagree.

• Like 1

You disagree with an historical fact??? Oooooookaaay..........

• Like 1

No I love historical fact, I disagee with your claim as to what is historical fact. Ooooooookaaay..............

I'd choose Brandon Routh.

He channelled a lot of Chris Reeve playing Clark Kent, but less so as Superman. Given a different script and story......I think he can step up to the role properly.

Tom Welling sits in the same category for me as Dean Cain......... a choice made for TV casting, but not a "serious" contender--mostly because of looks.

Welling looks too.......what is the term......."baby-faced", too soft in his features. Granted, I've not seen a image of Welling coifed with a short hair-cut......so he MIGHT just be able to pull off the look. His playing the part for several years doesn't really sway me at all because I've never bought into what Smallville was selling......the adventures of Clark Kent having ALL his adventures before he even becomes Superman. There's nothing about him that has sold me that he's a fledgling Superman. Yeah......I'm a Welling-hater.

I completely agree with this statement.

As for actors I think they should give Nicholas Cage a chance he's a big fan of the character I mean he named his son Kal-L that shows dedication to the character. lol

No I love historical fact, I disagee with your claim as to what is historical fact. Ooooooookaaay..............

Well, let's see here......Chris Reeve wasn't even BORN when Bud Collyer was doing the voice of Clark Kent/Superman on radio in 1940 and in the Fleischer cartoons, and Reeve was only in his early teens when Collyer again did the voice for the Filmation cartoon. Collyer was noted for his vocal delivery with the character, dropping his voice an octave when saying the lines that heralded Kent's change to Superman.

The information is available on-line for you to check....and confirm whether its correct or not.

So by all means don't take my word for it, go ahead and look up the easily-found information yourself.

Here, I'll help:

http://www.supermansupersite.com/bud.html

A master of radio acting, Bud Collyer easily won both roles with his ability to differentiate the two characters vocally, using his training as a singer to create distinct vocal registers for the mild-mannered reporter and for the powerful Man of Steel. The difference between Kent and the Man of Steel was unmistakable, yet there was no doubt that both voices came from one man.

As the first actor to portray Superman and Clark Kent in any medium, it was up to Bud Collyer to create the audio shorthand that would define the character to the listening audience. Collyer explains, "I played Clark Kent just a little bit higher to give my self somewhere to go with the 'UP, UP AND AWAY!'" Collyer portrayed Clark Kent as a tenor; dropping an octave in mid-sentence into Superman's deep baritone as he proclaimed: "This looks like a job - FOR SUPERMAN." Bud Collyer's portrayal of the Man of Steel remained the definitive interpretation throughout the 1940s.

So, what was this about Chris Reeve being the first to play the voice of Clark Kent and Superman differently again? @loll@

• Like 3

Well, let's see here......Chris Reeve wasn't even BORN when Bud Collyer was doing the voice of Clark Kent/Superman on radio in 1940 and in the Fleischer cartoons, and Reeve was only in his early teens when Collyer again did the voice for the Filmation cartoon. Collyer was noted for his vocal delivery with the character, dropping his voice an octave when saying the lines that heralded Kent's change to Superman.

The information is available on-line for you to check....and confirm whether its correct or not.

So by all means don't take my word for it, go ahead and look up the easily-found information yourself.

Here, I'll help:

http://www.supermans...te.com/bud.html

A master of radio acting, Bud Collyer easily won both roles with his ability to differentiate the two characters vocally, using his training as a singer to create distinct vocal registers for the mild-mannered reporter and for the powerful Man of Steel. The difference between Kent and the Man of Steel was unmistakable, yet there was no doubt that both voices came from one man.

As the first actor to portray Superman and Clark Kent in any medium, it was up to Bud Collyer to create the audio shorthand that would define the character to the listening audience. Collyer explains, "I played Clark Kent just a little bit higher to give my self somewhere to go with the 'UP, UP AND AWAY!'" Collyer portrayed Clark Kent as a tenor; dropping an octave in mid-sentence into Superman's deep baritone as he proclaimed: "This looks like a job - FOR SUPERMAN." Bud Collyer's portrayal of the Man of Steel remained the definitive interpretation throughout the 1940s.

So, what was this about Chris Reeve being the first to play the voice of Clark Kent and Superman differently again? guitar.gif

"Whomp Whomp Whomp Whomp"........for some reason that is all I read when Arrow writes in his typical condescending tone.

Let me explain it to you -- I don't care what Bud did, it wasn't enough to generate a difference for me. Secondly we are talking about physical acting along with the voice acting, the voice acting from the 88 cartoon voice actor showed the greatest range for the voice with influence from Chris Reeve.

]Now enough of this nonsense, go troll some other topics please, pretty please, pretty itty bitty please

Let me explain it to you -- I don't care what Bud did, it wasn't enough to generate a difference for me. Secondly we are talking about physical acting along with the voice acting, the voice acting from the 88 cartoon voice actor showed the greatest range for the voice with influence from Chris Reeve.

Your quote below:

How his voice changed was awesome when you consider it had never been done before for the Superman character, people played both of them straight.

In the interest of sharing factual information with fellow collectors, that would be of the most use to them, I pointed out that your claim wasn't truthful.

Your grace in accepting those facts is for you to display as you wish.

Which I think you have made plain for all to see.

• Like 2

As for actors I think they should give Nicholas Cage a chance he's a big fan of the character I mean he named his son Kal-L that shows dedication to the character. lol

HA! Well, as long as we're handing out roles to fans just because, why don't I play Snake Eyes in the next GI Joe movie. There's noting about me that says "Snake Eyes" but hey, I'm a fan :D

Nicholas Cage should NOT play Superman.

He doesn't look like Superman...at all.

Their best bet is to hold some auditions and see who wows them. Whether its a known actor or not...someone's out there that can do it.

I totally agree, even though I like Cage in a lot of his movies, he's not right for Superman. The photos of him in the costume test from the Burton attempt(real or not) are enough to turn me off him in the role.

There's plenty of other actors I'd rather see in the part before Cage would ever be considered.

• Like 1

Your quote below:

How his voice changed was awesome when you consider it had never been done before for the Superman character, people played both of them straight.

In the interest of sharing factual information with fellow collectors, that would be of the most use to them, I pointed out that your claim wasn't truthful.

Your grace in accepting those facts is for you to display as you wish.

Which I think you have made plain for all to see.

My claim is truthful I don't care about what Bud did and do not believe he played Superman/Clark Kent radically different enough to warrant any homage. Chris Reeve did it on all levels and that started the major influence. Also as a physical actor Chris WAS THE FIRST AND ONLY actor to play Clark differently than Superman so in that context I AM RIGHT. The voice actor in the 88 show, as a matter of fact the entire 88 show was lifted from the Chris Reeve performance. You always think your right and try to correct everyone but most often you look silly because you either respond out of context or are just flat out plain wrong. Go find some other person to troll off of.

• Like 1

brandon routh was good for my taste. the only thing is that you could see that he tried hard to be like christopher reeves. i think that he could have done better if he played the role how he wanted it to be. other then this i love nic cage but i cant see him either as superman. maybe a villain. lex perhaps or metallo. not so into tom welling. sorry but smallville doesn't do it for me. it takes clark ten season to finaly become superman just because he doesnt know what to do with his life. sorry but clark is more confident then this.