Let's Just Talk Football

Dragon66

The NYG deserved to win because they scored more points then the 9ers. Williams is a 9er (probably not for long though). Who cares if one guy messed up? Like I said losers always look for an excuse or a scapegoat. If you want to do this you can go back through the film for the season and discount numerous wins and losses from teams where one guy or one call or one this or one that screwed things. All it amounts to is whining.

I did watch the games. Did you see the final scores? What else do you need? I really don't understand the "deserve to win" mindset. If they didn't outscore their opponents they didn't deserve to win. If they lost than yes that means that New England BEAT Baltimore and NYG BEAT San Francisco. Don't believe me? Turn on the Superbowl in a couple of weeks (not for long because I know you are protesting) and see who is playing. They will be playing because they BEAT the other teams and thus DESERVED to go on to the Superbowl.

Are you telling me SF deserved to win because they scored less points than NYG and their player screwed up? Well hell then if we aren't counting people screwing up against other teams and scoring fewer points = wins than I think my Raiders will be in the Superbowl against your Bears.

On a side note...yes I was very happy SF didn't make it! Now I can walk around without 9er propaganda everywhere! You must know what I mean being here as well. Suddenly the 9er fan population just skyrocketed!

I am not protesting the Superbowl, just not interested in seeing 2 teams that should NOT be in it.

I read the NFL.com article where Belichick talked about how he saw the confusion and scrambling on the Raven's part to get the field goal off and decided not to ice Cundiff. If there was that kind of chaos why wouldn't they call time out and let the field goal unit relax and prepare for the kick properly?

Also while Kyle Williams messed up SF going 1-13 on 3rd downs didn't help them either.

I read the NFL.com article where Belichick talked about how he saw the confusion and scrambling on the Raven's part to get the field goal off and decided not to ice Cundiff. If there was that kind of chaos why wouldn't they call time out and let the field goal unit relax and prepare for the kick properly?

Also while Kyle Williams messed up SF going 1-13 on 3rd downs didn't help them either.

The field goal fiasco was definitely a head scratcher...

The effort the players gave in the first five minutes of the Pro Bowl reminds me of why I hate All-Star Games.

it was a frickin joke this year, even more than usual. I agree, I usually hate all-star games in the NFL and NBA (but I have seen some good probowls). The players don't even try to take them seriously. Which I don't understand... because you are going against the other top players, why wouldn't you want to do your very best and show something to the fans? I remember when we had all-star games in my league... we took the game more serious than the rest of the season regular games.. I mean the all-star game was the most important game besides the league championship... I was like, I am here because some people think I am one of the best, so I am going to make sure I don't end up looking like a chump going against the top competition

In the MLB, it's not like that. Those guys do take the game seriously.. but that goes for just about everything in regards to baseball and the other sports. Baseball players seem to have much more respect for their game and their fans. Football players usually have some... but the NBA is a complete joke

The effort the players gave in the first five minutes of the Pro Bowl reminds me of why I hate All-Star Games.

it was a frickin joke this year, even more than usual. I agree, I usually hate all-star games in the NFL and NBA (but I have seen some good probowls). The players don't even try to take them seriously. Which I don't understand... because you are going against the other top players, why wouldn't you want to do your very best and show something to the fans? I remember when we had all-star games in my league... we took the game more serious than the rest of the season regular games.. I mean the all-star game was the most important game besides the league championship... I was like, I am here because some people think I am one of the best, so I am going to make sure I don't end up looking like a chump going against the top competition

In the MLB, it's not like that. Those guys do take the game seriously.. but that goes for just about everything in regards to baseball and the other sports. Baseball players seem to have much more respect for their game and their fans. Football players usually have some... but the NBA is a complete joke

All-Star games has always been more for show than anything... I suggest they play for the chance to host Super Bowl similar to what baseball is doing...

Did you guys see Antonio Smith go hard against Cam Newton?... He was talking sht about Texans D during the regular season and I am sure that had something to do with it...

Well, Cam Newton's performance showed why they should of selected someone else to be the alternate. Using the fan vote is great and all, but that is why Yao Ming was the top vote getter every year even if he was hurt the whole season.

Well, Cam Newton's performance showed why they should of selected someone else to be the alternate. Using the fan vote is great and all, but that is why Yao Ming was the top vote getter every year even if he was hurt the whole season.

thats what I am sayin... he didn't deserve to be in the game, period. he should be embarassed. All 5 of the other QBs had ratings in the 130's or something crazy lol... his was like 40 yesterday. And he threw 3 picks! wow

I don't understand why he was put in as the alternate. He should have been behind several of the other QBs in the NFC.. Mathew Stafford, Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler (if he was healthy enough to go), even Tony Romo, Alex Smith, and Mike Vick.

I was happy with the result... Patriots didn't look like a very good team at points in the game.. and Brady didn't play very well when they needed him to the most

What the heck were the Patriots thinking at the end of that game? Just let the Giants score a touchdown?

Time management. 60 seconds to score a TD vs 20 seconds to get within Field Goal range. Neither was a great choice, but they were preparing for either outcome. Screwing around and trying to stop them from scoring would've eaten up even more time that Pats couldn't afford.

The Patriots really killed themselves. They had so many dropped passes, especially on what should have been a game winning drive. Guys were wide open, getting hit in the hands, and dropping passes. On the drive prior to the Giants TD drive, had the Patriots caught a very catchable pass from Brady, the game's over. Instead, it was dropped, Patriots punt, and the rest was history. Brady is not to blame for this loss. He wasn't spectacular, but his game should have given them the win if guys could do what they were paid to do and catch the ball.

And don't even let me start on the stupid penalties that came back to haunt the Patriots.

As for the Pro Bowl, and All-Star game comments, I have to disagree about baseball. Keep in mind, the baseball all-star game was such a joke at one point that they introduced the rule of the winning team's league would have home field in the Series just to get guys to actually play. Before that, it was just as bad. And I really don't see how baseball players have more respect for their fans. That's something that would be hard to back up, and even harder to measure to say that one sport does care more than another. Sounds like you are a baseball fan. I'm not, and I just don't see it. I think baseball players are more money hungry than any other sport, and give back the least amount of effort than any other sport. But, that's probably because I am not a fan of a sport where more than 75% of the guys are just standing around for half the game. To each his own.

And as for football, I can't see them ever going as hard as they did in the past any time soon. Your career can end on one bad play at any time in any game in football. And what does the Pro Bowl matter in the long run? It has no bearing on anyone's season. Heck, they put it the week before the Superbowl to get more players to actually show up because after the Superbowl many guys were headed off to whatever off season life they have. It's hard to get someone to give 100% for a game that means nothing to their team, nothing to them financially, and they could get seriously injured, or possible have their career's ended. All for what? For the fans? Isn't that what a 16 game season is for? Does that one extra game mean that much more?

The NBA all star game is a whole different animal. You get 12 guys coming from different team, different offenses, different defensive schemes, you get about 3 days to practice together, and then you throw them out there to entertain the fans. There is seldom any defense played. Mostly because the offense turns into isolation offenses, so it's a one on one game with whoever is guarding them. These are the best players in the league, and one on one, they are going to score regardless of who is in front of them. But, basketball has been moving towards and offense driven sport for years now, and those guys give the fans a great offensive showing. In the grand scheme of things, again, the game doesn't mean anything. It is a showcase. A chance for people to pay crazy prices for tickets to see a ton of stars in one spot. They're not going to the game thinking it's going to be a defensive showdown with the score in the low 70's. They want to see flashy dunks and raining three pointers. So, the NBA gives the fans what they want.

I went in not caring less about who won or lost. I thought it was a good game so that's all I cared about. There was also good food, good company at the party and I didn't have to work the next day!

None of the commercials really stood out for me. The SW cantina thing was cools but it seemed like it was tacked on to the end of a different commercial (?) Maybe I wasn't paying that close attention. It was cool seeing the GI Joe trailer (all eyes were on me during that time because eveyone at the party knew I was the "GI Joe guy").

Roger Goodell did say on Mike & Mike yesterday, that if they can't come up with a better product than this year's Pro Bowl, they could get rid of it altogether.

Last night's game was a fun watch and a great end to the season. Now onto All Peyton, all the time, until they get that worked out.

What the heck were the Patriots thinking at the end of that game? Just let the Giants score a touchdown?

Time management. 60 seconds to score a TD vs 20 seconds to get within Field Goal range. Neither was a great choice, but they were preparing for either outcome. Screwing around and trying to stop them from scoring would've eaten up even more time that Pats couldn't afford.

They also saved a timeout...

As for the Pro Bowl, and All-Star game comments, I have to disagree about baseball. Keep in mind, the baseball all-star game was such a joke at one point that they introduced the rule of the winning team's league would have home field in the Series just to get guys to actually play. Before that, it was just as bad. And I really don't see how baseball players have more respect for their fans. That's something that would be hard to back up, and even harder to measure to say that one sport does care more than another. Sounds like you are a baseball fan. I'm not, and I just don't see it. I think baseball players are more money hungry than any other sport, and give back the least amount of effort than any other sport. But, that's probably because I am not a fan of a sport where more than 75% of the guys are just standing around for half the game. To each his own.

And as for football, I can't see them ever going as hard as they did in the past any time soon. Your career can end on one bad play at any time in any game in football. And what does the Pro Bowl matter in the long run? It has no bearing on anyone's season. Heck, they put it the week before the Superbowl to get more players to actually show up because after the Superbowl many guys were headed off to whatever off season life they have. It's hard to get someone to give 100% for a game that means nothing to their team, nothing to them financially, and they could get seriously injured, or possible have their career's ended. All for what? For the fans? Isn't that what a 16 game season is for? Does that one extra game mean that much more?

What I don't get is why play so soft in the Pro Bowl? They don't worry about it in preseason games. I can understand if they do it then before the season starts but not when the season is over.

Actually, most pre season games, they do play softer, and often not nearly as many minutes. It's more about getting timing down, and getting used to any new editions (players, coaches, different offensive and defensive schemes). Even during the season, guys were taking it easy down the stretch and resting guys. That's why they had to change the season to have divisional games at the end of the season. Those games could end up deciding the division in some cases, and guys would have to play more. Football is a very violent sport that doesn't really look after it's guys for the long term. They chew guys up and spit them right back out once they are done. You gotta stay healthy to stay relevant, or there will be a new guy ready to take your spot. I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the probowl game itself, and just named players to like an all NFC or AFC teams at the end of the season.