Let's Just Talk Football

Dragon66

Now we get to listen to the poor millionaire players argue about how unfair the billionaire owners are and vice versa. Just get a deal done and move on. The NFL is the most popular sport in our country and just recieved the highest rating EVER for this weekend's Super Bowl. Don't screw it up like the MLB, NBA, and NHL and go on strike/lock-out the players. In our current economy, neither side is going to find any sympathy from Joe Q. Public, so they need to find a way to get a deal done.

Agreed.

"OH, POOR ME! I only get paid 3 million dollars a year to catch a football."

Ya...they get no sympathy from me...

Now we get to listen to the poor millionaire players argue about how unfair the billionaire owners are and vice versa. Just get a deal done and move on. The NFL is the most popular sport in our country and just recieved the highest rating EVER for this weekend's Super Bowl. Don't screw it up like the MLB, NBA, and NHL and go on strike/lock-out the players. In our current economy, neither side is going to find any sympathy from Joe Q. Public, so they need to find a way to get a deal done.

Agreed.

"OH, POOR ME! I only get paid 3 million dollars a year to catch a football."

Ya...they get no sympathy from me...

HAH! That's no guarantee either! All that money and how many times do we see them NOT catch the damn football? <_<

Animal Planet's Puppy Bowl had 9.2 million viewers. That many people to watch a bunch of dogs running around a fake stadium?

I wish I had watched the Puppy Bowl instead of the BVlack Eyed Peas at half time. I wonder if the Puppy Bowl ratings got higher as the Peas set went on?

So the owners canceled a meeting with the NFLPA today after the players asked for a 50/50 split of all of the profits. I can't think of any business where the owner pays half of all profits to the employees, especially with the money the players make.

So the owners canceled a meeting with the NFLPA today after the players asked for a 50/50 split of all of the profits. I can't think of any business where the owner pays half of all profits to the employees, especially with the money the players make.

the players must be thinking that THEY are the reason why the NFL is so popular... but it isn't that way at all. Not even close. Sure, the NFL makes a buttload of money off of the action the players provide... but the players are failing to recognize that the fans will support ANY person wearing that jersey... they will watch ANY NFL game that is interesting to them, with or without star players... they will go to a game with any nameless, faceless guys playing for their team... and there are millions of men in the country who would love to have their job for far far less money.. even for free. It's not the players that make the NFL, it is everything else.

If the NFL lost all of their players today... they wouldn't really lose a step with replacement players and guys from other leagues or coming up from college. Other guys would step up to become people that we would root for. Nike and Gatorade would find other guys to promote their product.

We don't need the players at all. Every year the Chicago Bears change some players, and I root for the new ones just the same. So if next year they have to use replacements, I will still tune in to watch every Bears' game and cheer my heart out for those guys, my team.

We definitely need the owners and the league... and what they have done for the game.

the players should realize that many fans are just as happy to watch college games.. and those players don't get a dime.

I (and hundreds of thousands of other fans)would play in the NFL for free.. actually I would give everything I own to play, as long as they would give me a place to sleep and food!

• 2 weeks later...

Great job, Ohio State! At least you recruited someone with good hands. At least character isn't on Jim Tressel's agenda this year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Offensive-lineman-recruit-Chris-Carter-has-joined-Ohio-State-class-022511

COLUMBUS, Ohio

Chris Carter, a highly-touted offensive lineman out of Cleveland's John F. Kennedy High School, has signed his national letter of intent to play football at Ohio State University, The Columbus Dispatch reported Friday.

Carter, 18, put pen to paper 22 days after high school recruits were officially allowed to finalize their commitments.

"I am glad to be a Buckeye" Carter told The Dispatch.

Carter's decision was delayed after he was arrested earlier this month and accused of fondling as many as eight female classmates while he was measuring them for ROTC uniforms.

But the Cleveland prosecutor's office said there was not enough evidence of sexual contact to charge the 6-foot-6, 350-pound Carter with a crime.

The Buckeyes re-issued their letter of intent to Carter after looking into the situation, according to The Dispatch.

"He has had a great support system at home, as well as at his high school," Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said. "They truly believe that Chris will have great success on and off the field at Ohio State."

• 2 weeks later...

Tiki Barber announced he is coming out of retirement today. Is he still under contract with the Giants?

It sounds like the Giants are going to release him. ESPN quoted "It does not appear that Barber will return to the Giants. The team retains his rights, but multiple media reports say that the Giants will release him, making Barber a free agent. Lepselter told FOXSports.com that "there are interested parties."

It looks like Ohio State may have reasonable cause to get rid of Jim Tressel,

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-athletic-director-Jim-Tressel-allegations-030811

it will be interesting to see what Ohio State will do. Maybe they will only suspend him for the first five games if he promises to come back next year.

Tiki Barber announced he is coming out of retirement today. Is he still under contract with the Giants?

It sounds like the Giants are going to release him. ESPN quoted "It does not appear that Barber will return to the Giants. The team retains his rights, but multiple media reports say that the Giants will release him, making Barber a free agent. Lepselter told FOXSports.com that "there are interested parties."

Yeah, I don't se him playing for the Giants again. I thought his issues with Tom Coughlin and team management were the real reasons he retired in the first place.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-athletic-director-Jim-Tressel-allegations-030811

it will be interesting to see what Ohio State will do. Maybe they will only suspend him for the first five games if he promises to come back next year.

http://redwhitebluenews.com/?p=16749

I don't have an issue with these kids selling their memorabilia, or Ohio State. I just think it is funny how large institutions such as OSU will overlook transgressions of their respective programs as long as they keep winning. Unfortunately, Tressel has had questions about issues like this in the past (Maurice Clarett, for example).

FYI, I just read that Tressel got suspended for the first two games next year pending the outcome of an NCAA investigation.

I don't have an issue with these kids selling their memorabilia, or Ohio State. I just think it is funny how large institutions such as OSU will overlook transgressions of their respective programs as long as they keep winning. Unfortunately, Tressel has had questions about issues like this in the past (Maurice Clarett, for example).

FYI, I just read that Tressel got suspended for the first two games next year pending the outcome of an NCAA investigation.

I tend to think that Ohio State gets just a little MORE attention paid to it, over this kind of crap, because they are winning....not overlooked. This kind of thing probably goes on in 9 out of 10 colleges but with little to no "investigation" done, simply because they're not on the radar. Controversy is much spicier when it surrounds people and places we know and people at the top.

• 1 month later...

Texans draft was solid... I wish they would gamble on players with character issues like Fairley once in a while though...

If the Texans receive more revenue from ticket and merchandise sales in the future, they just might. ;) I would love to see the Texans win a Super Bowl.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright, the lockout is over, free agency has begun, how is your team making out?

There are trades to make (Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb), free agents to sign (Santonio, Hasselback, etc.), and players to cut, making them free agents( Todd Heap, Willis McGahee, Reggie Bush, Marion Barber), so what does your team do?