Sports Stars are BIG Targets for Sexuall Harrassment Suits.

Capt.S.G.Wiseman

Wilt Chamberlain wrote a book on how many women he had sex with. Babe Ruth was a known womanizer. In fact most major sports stars were very promiscuous, and they still are.

So when did it become WRONG for them to be this way?. I mean in a way that we actually look at them with disgust and judge them. I'm not talking about REAL CRIMES here. Not proven rape or murder or dead hookers kinda stuff. I'm just talking about Sports Stars being promiscuous or unfaithful to their trophy wives and being pursued buy money hungry b!#<%@$.

Ben Roethlisberger was charged with sexual assault by Andrea McNulty, 31, in June 2008. She had no physical evidence. Nothing was ever collected, however months later witnesses claimed that she was bragging about having sex with him. She admitted that her hope was to get pregnant from him.

In march of this year, some drunken 20 year old girl from Georgia College & State University claimed Roethlisberger sexually assaulted her, all though apon physical examination buy TWO nurses, no evidence of any sexual assault was found.

I'm no fan of Ben Roethlisberger, but I smell BS.

In the Kobe Bryant case back in 2003, they found THREE different types of semen in the "victim" when she decided to be examined. At that point they also found some vaginal bruising and tearing. That's it. No slaps to the face. No clothing was torn. No hard fingerprints due to tight gripe was found on her body at all. I'm just assuming that if you are 19 and have sex with 3 different guys with in 12 hours, you may be a little sore. My point here is that he was a target from a 19 year old nobody that came on strong, giving him oral sex and everything, then tries to get money by falsifying evidence later,...which she did because he was a married man. A seven-year, $136 million contract. Wow.

Tiger Woods.

Man, all anyone can say is that he cheated on his wife. ....ALOT!! And his wife was FINE. However, I could not and still can not stomach the pathetic stance Tiger took on this whole thing. I would have came out and said. "It is true I cheated on my wife. For her sake I should not have gotten married at this stage in my life. I have caused damage to her and my children. ... Other than that, I'm now a single man and I'm going to keep on screwing as many hot women and legal hookers from Nevada as I can because that's what I want. Judge me all you want. You just wish you were me. :P "

And recently there is "controversy" over Brett Farve and text messages to other women.

I don't give a rat's a$$ about Ben, Kobe, Tiger or Farve, but this whole turning them into "ugly public figures" because they chase women is dumber than a soup sandwich. #WTF#

I agree!

It's all political now though.

If our "role models" are going to be judged harshly for their drug addictions, then drug addicts are going to be upset and want to have "role models" judged on their infidelities, then the people committing infidelity don't want to be singled out, so they start dropping dimes on people that embezzle and on and on it goes, with everyone being little tattle tales on each other, because they don't think they should be judged on their vice when others are getting away with theirs, so it's now politically correct to report on everybodys misdeeds or no ones.

If a homosexual makes headlines for coming out of the closet, then that homosexual wants some other high profile person to get called out for his affair, and then the person having the affair wants the drug user hassled, and somehow, they all think this will eventually numb our sensations to all of it and they can all go about their vices without having it be a big damn deal. ^_^

How's that logic work for ya? B)

I agree!

It's all political now though.

I don't see it as a political issue. Even if the current forum was open, I would have still posted it here. ;)

I just see it as it is, BS. Whatever the average depressed soul needs to feel better about them selves, then the trend is to point fingers at those who have it better.

If our "role models" are going to be judged harshly for their drug addictions, then drug addicts are going to be upset and want to have "role models" judged on their infidelities, then the people committing infidelity don't want to be singled out, so they start dropping dimes on people that embezzle and on and on it goes, with everyone being little tattle tales on each other, because they don't think they should be judged on their vice when others are getting away with theirs, so it's now politically correct to report on everybodys misdeeds or no ones.
Harmful drugs and steroids are illegal and have always had a bad influence on those who take them. If the habit or drug is harmful and a roll model does it, then it sends a wrong message. That is easy to understand. However in today's society pro athletes have to deny their basic instincts and say NO to any women throwing themselves at them. That's BS.

If a homosexual makes headlines for coming out of the closet, then that homosexual wants some other high profile person to get called out for his affair, and then the person having the affair wants the drug user hassled, and somehow, they all think this will eventually numb our sensations to all of it and they can all go about their vices without having it be a big damn deal. ^_^

How's that logic work for ya? B)

Um, not my category. Maybe someone else might have an opinion on that. :)

It's the whole "role model" thing, and if people who get caught abusing drugs and steroids are made to feel like they've damaged their character and maybe even their careers, then they're going to look to point their fingers at other peoples vices as ANOTHER character and career ending personal flaw, and infidelity has fallen into that category. It wasn't all that big a deal in the past, but it is now, and that's my reasoning for it.

If we don't think it's such a big deal, then why is it constantly in the news, like this newest fiasco surrounding Favre? Somebody's pushing it and making it a big deal, whether we care about it or not, so that's why I called it "political" more like office politics.

:EDIT:

I should have added, that I personally do NOT think it's such a big deal (these affairs of athletes) and that I think it's being MADE a "big deal" by the media, just for the controversy of it. I mean, most everyone I talk to, think the same way about it as you and I Captain, so that's why I have to wonder why it's being pushed so much by the media, unless it's "political" and petty?

The earliest biggest case I can think of offhand is Mike Tyson/Robin Givens.......but I'm certain there are prominent cases that go back before that.

A quick check on-line says there's scandals that go back to 1910, but honestly most I have never heard of.....and its not surprising since I don't pay much attention to sports to begin with.

http://www.alternet.org/sex/144409/10_biggest_sports_sex_scandals_of_all_time:_how_does_tiger_woods_rate?page=3

One thing that seems to be consistent is the sense of outrage and shock occurs with every scandal that cracks open--so it looks like its ALWAYS been wrong for athletes to behave this way.

If the habit or drug is harmful and a roll model does it, then it sends a wrong message. That is easy to understand. However in today's society pro athletes have to deny their basic instincts and say NO to any women throwing themselves at them. That's BS.

I agree with the first sentence here, and disagree with the last for the same reasons. I think it is harmful and that it does send the wrong message. I don't think these guys would have had the problems they've had if it were otherwise. I think in the end these guys made bad decisions that got them bad results. I agree that it's a natural instinct to want to bed as many women as possible, I think every guy has that in them to some degree, but I don't think that's any reason for an individual to allow themselves to be so dominated by it. I think that's a clear decision some guys make, and some guys pay the price for choosing poorly.

I think about it this way: they're not making the choice to have encounters with these women out of some noble or honorable intent so there's no reason to expect any from the women either. To me that's just common sense. I think they should be aware of the risk they're taking beforehand and be aware of the consequences those risks might have. They're perfectly free to start making better decisions at any time, there's nothing stopping them but themselves and for that I have no sympathy for them. I do have some sympathy for guys like Magic Johnson though, he got dealt a rough hand. I think we all make questionable decisions at various points in our lives and we all should face the consequences for them so that at least we have the choice to learn from them if we wish to do so. Whether or not we wish to do so is another matter, and probably a much more serious one in environments that exalt other qualities more than intellectual prowess.

If contemporary reactions seem stronger than they might have been in previous times, I think it's at least partly because attitudes have been affected by the social changes that occurred in previous decades. Thanks in part to the "free love" culture of the 60's and 70's STDs have become deadlier and more prevalent to the point that now it almost seems like you have to wrap yourself in a tire before you can even touch a woman. It's for that very reason that I still giggle a little whenever I see the "full body condom" scene in The Naked Gun.

I think they are easy Targets because now they want to maintain an image that they are good guys because of endorsements and what not.

Tiger can come out and say, "hey, I cheated on my wife alot, and I like to have sex with lots of different women".. but while some people would think its good for him to talk straight, lots of other people would judge him (I know I am) and he would lose endorsements for being such a jackass (he has lost many, but not all because he tried to be all "Im sorry"..)

With Big Ben, it's obvious he is a pig and messes with lots of slags... its just backfiring on him because some of them want money from him now. easy blackmailing there...

and with Favre now its the same thing. I have no doubt that he banged this girl and sent her the pics and whatnot. But I am sure it was consensual. She was probably more than happy to have the affair... and now 2 years later she is accusing him of sexual harassment? (the pics she is claiming he harassed her with were sent in 2008). She got him right where she wanted, and now she is going for the big bucks.

So even though I am sure that all Bret Favre did was cheat on his wife.. it does indeed hurt my opinion of him. I used to like him alot.. even though I am a diehard Bears fan, I have always appreciated Bret Favre, the way he played the game, and also thought he was a genuinely good guy.. but now I don't like him anymore because I know he cheats on his wife.

these guys... they are just so greedy. I would give up anything and everything to be a professional athlete. Not for the money or the fame, but because I LOVE to play sports. I am sure that one day these guys were all like that too.. but once they reach the highest level, all they care about is money, hoes, more money, being praised, more money, more sluts, drugs.... they think they are above normal people and deserve anything they want...

If I ever got to be a pro athlete, I would just be so grateful to be able to do something I love and not have to worry about money.. I wouldn't ever do any drugs or get drunk.. wouldn't ever mess with lots of dirty women.. wouldn't ever walk out on my team because I didn't think I was getting paid enough... none of that... these guys are jerkoffs.

I try not to be too judgmental on these guys (which I know is going to get a laugh from some folks here), because I haven't lived that kind of life. I can't even begin to imagine living amidst all the temptation that these guys are continually exposed to. Drugs, women, alcohol...I don't think it's so much that these guys necessarily think that they're above everyone else so much as "everyone else" put them there via their actions and by spending billions of dollars on sports-related merchandise, etc... every year. These guys (the big stars, that is) live in a different world. The world of the very wealthy and famous that most of us will never break into. I would imagine it's very easy to lose perspective when you're living in that "bubble" and start to feel like you're invincible. Heck, most of these guys have probably been in the "bubble" since their late teens when scouts started recognizing their talents and they started getting special treatment because of it.

Still, like I said, these are creatures of our own making. We (the general public) are the ones that idolize and patronize them, enabling a system where even the lowest-level pro athletes in the "big" sports make many times what schoolteachers, policemen, or soldiers make (in terms of pay). For playing a game. Sure the game itself can be difficult, but it's still a game.

I think in the end these guys made bad decisions that got them bad results.

Like anyone else, they make their decisions based on their values, and their values derive from the references they have around them. Those references and mental associations come from what people around them are PERMITTED to do ( and get away with) and the immediate culture that supports that. Where the public trips up in this is in their own associations to these athletes--they see them largely only in the arenas of their triumphs ( and defeats) so their references for these folks is limited only to the grand dramas therein. They only see the player at the game, and on their game, which is kind of a role they play and not necessarily who that person really is.

Accordingly, this leads to a peculiar kind of idolatry towards athletes, and skews public perceptions to broader extremes when the truth comes out.

A guy like Tiger Woods was very likely ALWAYS a creep and a lecher, but because he was winning, a lot of people tended to look the other way.

He's clean-cut, he's focussed in what he does....and he wins spectacularly........so people naturally assume he's virtuous.

Obviously the reality is he's far from it.

I recall there being rumblings that Tiger Woods was far from the shining paragon of moral and virtue that people ascribed him to be well before the revelations of his marital infidelities, but none of it was even close to the scale of what eventually came out. That, and Tiger had a multi-million dollar media team carefully tailoring his image to the general public. Still, I think even Tiger himself had said long ago that he shouldn't be considered a role model (as have many other athletes...but it's often ignored), or at the very least had made it reasonably clear he wasn't comfortable with that position...however he was perfectly comfortable with Nike and Tag Heuer and whoever else paying him hundreds of millions to fill it. Who wouldn't be?

I think (not to get too political, I hope) it really just plays into the whole "American Dream" mentality. We see folks being successful and moving well up the economic ladder, so we automatically assume that they must be good people who are working hard to get what they deserve, in accordance with that idealized "American Dream" that so many of us have been programmed from birth to believe so strongly in. Then again, I dunno that it's exclusive to America. How are the big-time Soccer stars treated in European and Latin/South American countries?

How are the big-time Soccer stars treated in European and Latin/South American countries?

Like Gods.

I know only from what my colleagues at EA would worked on the FIFA Soccer game series that the athletes they did mo--cap for were treated like royalty everywhere they went, not just at EA but throughout the city.

I think we naturally want to look up to and idolize people like this, that are successful, talented, attraction, wealthy and all the things we're probably not, be it athletes, celebrities, musicians or even leaders in the political world. I think MOSTLY...it's athletes though.

One segment looks up to these people, another segment wants to exploit that attention and another segment wants to tear down the facade.