Superman/Shazam Return of Black Adam

Superpowers1980

Sorry to inflame that certain someone guys.

It's not like I go into these things expecting to dislike them, in fact it's that pitiful sliver of optimism I haven't eradicated that keeps me coming back.

In this instance it was the reduced running time, Black Adam, and Arnold Vosloo (been a fan since Hard Target) that piqued my nerd interest.

Hopefully Black Adam gets some screen time in Young Justice. If for no other reason he's an awesome character and those teen twits can use a magical beat down. :D

Sorry to inflame that certain someone guys.

I think that certain someone has chronic natural inflammation going on. Like a bad gland or something.

It's not like I go into these things expecting to dislike them, in fact it's that pitiful sliver of optimism I haven't eradicated that keeps me coming back.

I'm a harder critic than most, but I can relate to this thinking. I've seen pleasant surprises ( Hulk vs.) that people panned, and utter dogs ( New Frontier) that people praised--so I'm largely jaded going in.

Its takes certain things for me to come on board and LIKE a film, and I can waive things like weak characters of a weak story as long as the feeling ( aka "heart") is there. And a little heart goes a long way if its there.

SP - you are the one starting something. you apparently can't handle it when someone has an opinion that differs from your own. take a step back and realize that their opinion doesn't harm you whatsoever. if they want to watch dc movies even tho they don't like them, it doesn't hurt you.

It doesn't hurt me and I take no personal offense. What is surprising rather than placing the looking glass on top of me is that no one acknowledges the insanity of a person who would constantly watch something they clearly do not like. Seriously, I stopped liking Family Guy so I stopped watching it, its just that simple if they constinually fail you then why subject yourself to continuous disappointment. It's total insanity.

great. but what does that have to do with the topic at hand? nothing. so why even bring it up?

• Like 1

SP - you are the one starting something. you apparently can't handle it when someone has an opinion that differs from your own. take a step back and realize that their opinion doesn't harm you whatsoever. if they want to watch dc movies even tho they don't like them, it doesn't hurt you.

It doesn't hurt me and I take no personal offense. What is surprising rather than placing the looking glass on top of me is that no one acknowledges the insanity of a person who would constantly watch something they clearly do not like. Seriously, I stopped liking Family Guy so I stopped watching it, its just that simple if they constinually fail you then why subject yourself to continuous disappointment. It's total insanity.

great. but what does that have to do with the topic at hand? nothing. so why even bring it up?

Again what does a person get out of constantly trashing something and bringing nothing to the table. Everyone doesn't have to like everything but if all or most of thes movies bother you then just stop watching them. If this movie was ANOTHER one to toss aside then stop watching them and go away, seriously if you always hate everything then don't bother watching and certainly don't bother commenting.

He cites a really bad example as well.

The DC videos aren't comparable to Family Guy as these videos are constantly rotating creative teams. Much like a comic book. In which case if you dislike one creative team or character, eventually one may come along that you do enjoy.

Visually I have enjoyed Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Black Adam. Unfortunately it all falls apart at the story level. They're generally not interesting enough to merit the running times. Unlike JLA/U which was incredibly well written and after a 22 minute episode I was ready to dive into another episode straight away. Not groaning in anticipation of the ending.

I'm also not burning a ton of calories with these videos. It's gotten to the point that I just let them run when I'm doing something else in the house. If it doesn't grab me within 10 minutes, I'll soldier through and fold clothes or browse the Internet.

Animation and vocal talent has all been great. Unfortunately the writing is threadbare on a lot of them, and offensively boring on a lot of them.

This extends to a lot of animation these days as well. Both Western and Japanese. As I get older the more jejune tropes of animation writing become more glaringly obvious. Perhaps if I were 10 years old again these things would wow me, but that's an insult to my childhood as Jim Henson was a wonderfully talented contributor to my youth and I can still pop in The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth and enjoy those in my mid-30's.

I just finished watching it and found it quite entertaining. To me it was a barebones essence of what these movies should be: Get to know the characters, put them in a situation where they must confront each other, and have a heck of a fight seen. If they would of drawn this out to a feature length film, I am sure they would of had the classic Superman fighting Captain Marvel, only to realize that they are on the same side against a common foe, Black Adam. I am glad they chose not to go down this road because I have seen that so many times before (the Hero A fights Hero B, Stop, Make Up, and Team up against the Villain).

The DC videos aren't comparable to Family Guy as these videos are constantly rotating creative teams. Much like a comic book. In which case if you dislike one creative team or character, eventually one may come along that you do enjoy.

Visually I have enjoyed Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Black Adam. Unfortunately it all falls apart at the story level. They're generally not interesting enough to merit the running times. Unlike JLA/U which was incredibly well written and after a 22 minute episode I was ready to dive into another episode straight away. Not groaning in anticipation of the ending.

I'm also not burning a ton of calories with these videos. It's gotten to the point that I just let them run when I'm doing something else in the house. If it doesn't grab me within 10 minutes, I'll soldier through and fold clothes or browse the Internet.

Animation and vocal talent has all been great. Unfortunately the writing is threadbare on a lot of them, and offensively boring on a lot of them.

This extends to a lot of animation these days as well. Both Western and Japanese. As I get older the more jejune tropes of animation writing become more glaringly obvious. Perhaps if I were 10 years old again these things would wow me, but that's an insult to my childhood as Jim Henson was a wonderfully talented contributor to my youth and I can still pop in The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth and enjoy those in my mid-30's.

blah, blah, blah...don't watch them......nobody is interested in your continual downplay of the movies. It's simple if they are so boring then don't watch them....we don't want to hear about how its just another boring, mundane, inane DC animated movie.

Again what does a person get out of constantly trashing something and bringing nothing to the table. Everyone doesn't have to like everything but if all or most of thes movies bother you then just stop watching them. If this movie was ANOTHER one to toss aside then stop watching them and go away, seriously if you always hate everything then don't bother watching and certainly don't bother commenting.

what do you get out of pointing it out? why do you care if someone is, in your opinion, wasting their time?

• Like 1

blah, blah, blah...don't watch them......nobody is interested in your continual downplay of the movies. It's simple if they are so boring then don't watch them....we don't want to hear about how its just another boring, mundane, inane DC animated movie.

we? you are the only one complaining dude.

i want to hear everyone's opinion.

• Like 1