Superman/Shazam Return of Black Adam

Superpowers1980

Currently watching the movie now, so far so good.

Well it was good and of course just too short. Never reviewed the other shorts on the other DVDs but they are good we well.

Spectre - good and surprisingly creepy

Jonah Hex - better than the film..lol...but it really is, feels like a real western

Green Arrow - my favorite short because he is like Batman but at 1/3 the skill. His short was funny and entertaining

Return of Black Adam - Good voices, good action, too short. An extra 15 mins would of been nice.

• Like 10

I wont be buying this one. I bought the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse blu-ray and was really let down. It's not that it was bad, but the writing quality was more akin to a Justice League Unlimited episode than something you would expect from a full blown animated movie. Nothing really made sense, everything that happens just seems to be an excuse to have another fight. After Under the Redhood I thought the DC animated movies had turned a corner and then Superman/Batman brought me back to reality.

I wont be buying this one. I bought the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse blu-ray and was really let down. It's not that it was bad, but the writing quality was more akin to a Justice League Unlimited episode than something you would expect from a full blown animated movie. Nothing really made sense, everything that happens just seems to be an excuse to have another fight. After Under the Redhood I thought the DC animated movies had turned a corner and then Superman/Batman brought me back to reality.

I really don't get how critical people are......comic fans and the like seem to just hate everything or seem to hate more than they love. I don't see how SB Apoc was any different in terms of style and substance to any other DC movie aside from UTRH and WW. Also that was pretty much the plot of the book, seriously Darkseid takes Supergirl and comes back to taunt Superman.

Hey Pooda, did I beat you to it this time???

• Like 9

I really don't get how critical people are......comic fans and the like seem to just hate everything or seem to hate more than they love. I don't see how SB Apoc was any different in terms of style and substance to any other DC movie aside from UTRH and WW. Also that was pretty much the plot of the book, seriously Darkseid takes Supergirl and comes back to taunt Superman.

What the hell dude.....where were you pulling all that BS from? Are you for real? I spent $25 for the blu-ray and it wasn't worth $25, it was like a 3 part JLU episode, do you think 3 episodes of JLU is worth $25? Considering a whole season of JLU is $30 I would say no. Whether the plot was the same as the comic or not, doesn't change the fact that the story telling in the movie was weak. As I said, it wasn't bad.....just not what I would expect from a full length animated movie. Honestly why would Wonder Woman and Batman attack two of the most powerful beings on the planet, one of which is their fried? To prove Supergirl is dangerous? Really? If you enjoyed it that's fine, I'm not telling you not to like it. For me the writing was Saturday morning cartoon caliber and not worth my $25.

Next, I don't know where you got that whole comic book fans BS, cause I hardly read comics. And beyond a few major story arcs, I have no clue what is going on in any comic series. Don't assume things bro, its not cool.

• Like 1

What the hell dude.....where were you pulling all that BS from? Are you for real? I spent $25 for the blu-ray and it wasn't worth $25, it was like a 3 part JLU episode, do you think 3 episodes of JLU is worth $25? Considering a whole season of JLU is $30 I would say no. Whether the plot was the same as the comic or not, doesn't change the fact that the story telling in the movie was weak. As I said, it wasn't bad.....just not what I would expect from a full length animated movie. Honestly why would Wonder Woman and Batman attack two of the most powerful beings on the planet, one of which is their fried? To prove Supergirl is dangerous? Really? If you enjoyed it that's fine, I'm not telling you not to like it. For me the writing was Saturday morning cartoon caliber and not worth my $25.

Next, I don't know where you got that whole comic book fans BS, cause I hardly read comics. And beyond a few major story arcs, I have no clue what is going on in any comic series. Don't assume things bro, its not cool.

Calm down dude........I am just saying and maybe it doesn't apply to you, if it doesn't then my apologies.

It just seems like whenever a new movie comes out, especially the DC animated one, there are just so many complaints, some worthy others totally superficial. If it's based off a book people complain to no end because it isn't a direct translation. Second people just seem not to enjoy anything and it boggles my mind.....then why bother. Not saying you specifically and again my apologies, it just annoys me that these movies are trashed every time and I wonder why do people even bother.

As for SB Apoc...in my personal opinion, yes it is worth 25 bucks. This new DVD though it is good is not, just because it has a few extended shorts and one new one.

Also they attacked SM and SG to prove a point, she needed training. As for the story overall, again it was a translation from a poorly written comic. I read the story when it first came out and didn't care much for the plot either, when that happens I pick out something to enjoy such as the action and if they nail character development. In this movie the story is fairly simple, nothing of course of the level of UTRH but not every story needs to be. These are action movies, this doesn't mean they should be dumbed down, but at the same time people just really want to see superhero's do superhero stuff. It seems if the story is simple and the action is high people lowbrow it which is totally unfair.

Again, I didn't mean to offend.

• Like 10

Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but since this review is probably from an illegal download, the mods should seriously consider deleting it.

How do you know? I didn't post a link or anything so why do you care so much? Let me ask you, I bought a DC Universe Ultra Humanite from China and the figures haven't been released, so should my review also be deleted...they haven't hit yet I had mine for months now and they haven't showed up at Walmart which essentially is the only place you should find them. Oh and what about the TNI members who posted pics of the figures they bought from China that were sold outside of Mattel and Walmart, remember when they posted pics of Guy Gardner months before they came out at the stores?

• Like 10

Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but since this review is probably from an illegal download, the mods should seriously consider deleting it.

How do you know? I didn't post a link or anything so why do you care so much? Let me ask you, I bought a DC Universe Ultra Humanite from China and the figures haven't been released, so should my review also be deleted...they haven't hit yet I had mine for months now and they haven't showed up at Walmart which essentially is the only place you should find them. Oh and what about the TNI members who posted pics of the figures they bought from China that were sold outside of Mattel and Walmart, remember when they posted pics of Guy Gardner months before they came out at the stores?

I'll tell you why I care so much: video piracy affects my livelihood.

The rates I get paid to do storyboards DROP because studios compensate for losses to piracy by making production budgets smaller.

The 'boards on the shows I work on pay out $12,000 to $10,000 these days (storyboard artists actually get paid less than that because the studios take a slice off the top for their overhead).....and 10--15 years ago, it was $15,000 plus. Its due to video piracy and it impacts just about everyone making these kinds of shows.

It also raises the price on the DVDs sold in stores as well, because the studios insist on making up for lost sales.

Its far from a "victimless" crime, and it IS a crime.

Do think about that the next time you bit torrent something......

• Like 1

What ?!? Another one ?! Again I knew nothing about it till its out! Are there any other dc movies coming out I need to know about ?! @loll@ Say GL & I will smack you @smilepunch@ @loll@

The rates I get paid to do storyboards DROP because studios compensate for losses to piracy by making production budgets smaller.

The 'boards on the shows I work on pay out $12,000 to $10,000 these days (storyboard artists actually get paid less than that because the studios take a slice off the top for their overhead).....and 10--15 years ago, it was $15,000 plus. Its due to video piracy and it impacts just about everyone making these kinds of shows.

It also raises the price on the DVDs sold in stores as well, because the studios insist on making up for lost sales.

stir.gif

• Like 1

Not to be a dick or anything, but in the past, you either provided a link or bragged that you downloaded one of the earilar DC movies (I remember JayC calling you out on it), so it is safe to say that you have seen the other movies early via streamming or bit torrent.

I guess it is different from buying a prototype from china since those cannot be reproduced easily unlike movies. Normally, such a review would encourage others to go and find the download link online. For instance, I wasn't aware the movie was out to torrent until readin this topic. Protoypes, however, are different - they cost money, which is around twice as much as it would cost in stores; most ppl wouldn't be encouraged to go on ebay to buy a 14 dollar toy for 30 dollars after spotting an early review.

• Like 1

Not to be a dick or anything, but in the past, you either provided a link or bragged that you downloaded one of the earilar DC movies (I remember JayC calling you out on it), so it is safe to say that you have seen the other movies early via streamming or bit torrent.

I guess it is different from buying a prototype from china since those cannot be reproduced easily unlike movies. Normally, such a review would encourage others to go and find the download link online. For instance, I wasn't aware the movie was out to torrent until readin this topic. Protoypes, however, are different - they cost money, which is around twice as much as it would cost in stores; most ppl wouldn't be encouraged to go on ebay to buy a 14 dollar toy for 30 dollars after spotting an early review.

Ok, so the moral police want to call me out and I addressed this the last time.

1. All I did was post a review. You have no idea how I viewed the movie, I happen to run a radio program who is to say when didn't or don't get advanced copies of things....I didn't (for this movie) but I do have access to promotional items. Also liked I stated last time, I am the type of collector that even if I do download a movie or cd from the internet that does not affect if I buy it in the stores. I happen to like to have the original box for these things. As a collector a copy of something means NOTHING to the hobby whatsoever.

2. Also there is no difference. If people buy something from China Mattel is NOT getting paid, neither the stores, especially the exclusives like Walmart who are the sole sellers of the item.

• Like 1

No one here is advocating piracy. Like I stated people should not always assume the worse. As example I am a collector and this includes DVDs and CDs. For instance I am a MJ fan and collector, it means nothing to have a downloaded copy of Off the Wall (his album from1979) instead the worth is to have the actual original pressed CD before they did the redesign or even the original pressing of the redesign. Even if I rent the movie and watch it, it does not affect if I buy it or not. People are assuming the worse and trying to make this into something bigger and they shouldn't because they don't know all the facts.

Lastly no one wants to take money out of your pocket. Fans should support the hobby, and people should get paid properly for their work.

i really like the DC movies overall. As a comic fan, I'm not as crucial at the movies because DC has really bad continuity.

Everything here seems to turn into a off topic argument, lately . I think we should take the "off topic" arguments to PMs instead of putting on a show @smilepunch@ @loll@

• Like 1

i really like the DC movies overall. As a comic fan, I'm not as crucial at the movies because DC has really bad continuity.

Everything here seems to turn into a off topic argument, lately . I think we should take the "off topic" arguments to PMs instead of putting on a show @smilepunch@ @loll@

Since the movie is not due out until November 9th, the question of the review being of a pirated copy becomes relevant and on-topic.

If the review was from an officially provided pre-release screener copy, the reviewer should have taken pains to declare that to legitimize their review.

The reviewer also opened up the floor on the matter with their reply to another poster:

How do you know? I didn't post a link or anything so why do you care so much?

I've made all the comments I'm going to make on the matter. I've stated what the problems are, why its a problem, and who it affects (and people seem to insist on slamming me for it).

So, by all means continue on talking about the review.

• Like 1

Since the movie is not due out until November 9th, the question of the review being of a pirated copy becomes relevant and on-topic.

If the review was from an officially provided pre-release screener copy, the reviewer should have taken pains to declare that to legitimize their review.

I've made all the comments I'm going to make on the matter. I've stated what the problems are, why its a problem, and who it affects (and people seem to insist on slamming me for it).

So, by all means continue on talking about the review.

ok

Ok, here's the deal... I'm not the biggest fan of superpowers in the least, especially when it comes to his opinions on the DC animated movies...

If you guys want to have a discussion on the ethics of filesharing then start your own thread, this thread is about the Superman/Shazam movie.

All other comments should be removed or placed in a serparate thread. I'm tired of reading crap comments, which is one of the main reasons i don't participate as much.

Get a life.

regards

Joshua aka the champ

• Like 2

It just seems like whenever a new movie comes out, especially the DC animated one, there are just so many complaints, some worthy others totally superficial. If it's based off a book people complain to no end because it isn't a direct translation. Second people just seem not to enjoy anything and it boggles my mind.....then why bother. Not saying you specifically and again my apologies, it just annoys me that these movies are trashed every time and I wonder why do people even bother.

Personally, I read very little that DC puts out. Marvel, on the other hand, is different. I read a LOT of marvel Comics. I generally don't care for DC comics; however, their animated films are a different matter. I have greatly enjoyed the majority of the animated DC films so far, and it doesn't matter if they stay close to the original stories or not. I too felt Apocalypse was a let-down. I just don't think it was well-written. Whether it was the same story as the comics or not, that doesn't matter to me as long as the elements that go into it, like plot and script, are good. Apocalypse didn't grab my interest like some of the other titles did. Hopefully the next one is better, since I'm feeling like I got ripped off a bit buying the Blu-Ray.

Ok, here's the deal... I'm not the biggest fan of superpowers in the least, especially when it comes to his opinions on the DC animated movies...

If you guys want to have a discussion on the ethics of filesharing then start your own thread, this thread is about the Superman/Shazam movie.

All other comments should be removed or placed in a serparate thread. I'm tired of reading crap comments, which is one of the main reasons i don't participate as much.

Get a life.

regards

Joshua aka the champ

Thanks

For anyone who is considering buying this, the Superman/Shazam one is really just a long TV episode. It is basically a quick introduction of Shazam and Black Adam, I know people are a lot more critical of it than I am so be careful when choosing.

1. The voice acting is really good, though Shazam (wizard) has an odd accent

2. Animation is very good, same as what we have come to expect

3. Action is also great, nothing groundbreaking but wholly entertaining

4. The story is simple and those looking for value are not recommended to buy it. Or at least the expensive version

For me, I just enjoy watching Black Adam. This is his second incarnation on the screen (Shazam cartoon 1981) this short captures how badass and just flat out mean BA can be. He is arrogant on the level of Sinestro or beyond really. I hope to see more of him in DC's animated movie line.

Personally, I read very little that DC puts out. Marvel, on the other hand, is different. I read a LOT of marvel Comics. I generally don't care for DC comics; however, their animated films are a different matter. I have greatly enjoyed the majority of the animated DC films so far, and it doesn't matter if they stay close to the original stories or not. I too felt Apocalypse was a let-down. I just don't think it was well-written. Whether it was the same story as the comics or not, that doesn't matter to me as long as the elements that go into it, like plot and script, are good. Apocalypse didn't grab my interest like some of the other titles did. Hopefully the next one is better, since I'm feeling like I got ripped off a bit buying the Blu-Ray.

Superman Batman Apocalypse wasn't great storytelling in the least bit. Its a thin and simple plot with cool action scenes. If the plot is thin or simple I tend to shift my mind just to enjoy the action. At that point I just appreciate superhero's doing superhero things which is action. All the DC movies could benefit from a longer running time. In Apoc, its all about seeing Darkseid and Superman for me.

I find it highly amusing when people complain that a cartoon movie about comic book characters is too comic-bookie!

What else should it be? Shakespeare?

I find it highly amusing when people complain that a cartoon movie about comic book characters is too comic-bookie!

What else should it be? Shakespeare?

Too "comic-bookie"? What does that even mean? What are you talking about? @smilepunch@