Which Story Line Do You Perfer? Batman...

Capt.S.G.Wiseman

Under The Red Hood was very well done. Slick animation and over all a great movie that gives closure to the mystery of what happened to Jason Todd (besides HUSH). The end battle with him and Batman is legendary to say the least. One of the best cartoons ever made for kids and adults alike.

Return Of The Joker is in continuity with a long running series and gives the BEST (If not the ONLY) Death of the Joker. It is sick and twisted and draws you in, still wondering what mysteries the future may uncover.

However these two stories totally contradict each other. For your own continuity, which version of the Batman time line do you prefer?

I liked Under The Red Hood, but I consider it (and all the recent DC Animated Movies) their own individual stories. Especially in this case, since Jason Todd was never even in Batman: TAS. So for continuity sake, I vote Return of the Joker.

As much as I liked the Batman Beyond series, that universe is such a crappy future for Bruce Wayne. I guess I would vote for Under the Hood by default. UTH missed a chance to be a really crazy story when Jason Todd decided not to kill the Joker, though. (If he did kill the Joker, it would've taken the story to a whole new level, with Batman being forced into a dilemma whether or not he should take lethal force against his former protege to stop him from killing more villains.)

PharmV

well for me it is mask of phantasm. i know he is not listed but come what will, i just love that movie. red hood is a close second. an iconic master character like the joker can not be killed with a simple bullet. he has to be there forever. he will never die. as mako said, the ending set up to a great dynamic scene. i realy loved it that way.

RETURN OF THE JOKER, by a mile.

Agreed! Return of the Joker was so much better (unrated version, of course). A gripping story that blended perfectly with continuity that's over a decade old.

MOST important, Return of the Joker is an ORIGINAL story. It's not rehashed, rewritten or reused, from a comic storyline.

Red Hood was ok, in terms of animation and acting, ... not all that original and not all that different from a comic that came out only a couple years ago.

Let's see some original stories already... enough with rehashing comic storylines.

Hate to break this to you bro', but ROTJ was a fairly pale rip-off of the whole Death of Jason Todd storyline. Come to think of it, The entire character of Tim Drake in the DCAU was just Todd with a name change.

So much for an original story.

As for the segments that take place in BB's time, they just reused the "I'm Batman now" theme that had already been well covered on the show.

Don't get me wrong, it was a compelling movie, but nothing to write home about.

Mako,

I didn't know we were "bro's." I guess you must've not read Batman 426-429, because it's nothing like ROTJ at all...unless you just can't read?

Synopsis of Death in the Family: Robin becomes more unhinged and leaves gotham to search for mother, after several different leads he finds his mother who is secretly working for the joker. The mother betrays Robin to the Joker after revealing his secret ID. Joker blows up mother and Todd as batman is arriving too late to the scene. Robin and mother are dead, Joker seeks political immunity and plans to be Ambassador to UN. Superman shows up to keep Batman from going after the Joker, Joker plans to Gas the entire UN. Batman/Supes foil plan and the Joker gets away.

Yes, Timm used Jason Todd's basic Character structure for Tim Drake (ie, Poor Orphan Kid from the streets)but that's about it. In the batman stories leading up to Death in the family, Todd was obviously becoming more and more unwound and even killed someone, Timm's animated Drake was very similar to the Tim Drake comics version...(ie, saavy, upcoming detective, and voice of moral reason).

Sorry Mako, but ROTJ was nothing like Death in the family and followed an original story. Under the Red Hood IS a previously written comic story translated to animation. So let's not pretend that it's anything more than Timm following an already written script.

regards

Joshua aka the champ

I liked Batman Beyond in general, but I'd rather not see much more done with it. However between the two I LOVED Return of the Joker. It was one of the first times in animation that my jaw hit the ground and I literally said out loud "No way!! Damn!!". :o

My favorite part is the fact that the Joker is buried somewhere beneath the original Arkham Asylum and only Batman, Jason, Batgirl and Jim Gordon know where. That's just too cool.