The next Superman movie: would you be mad if...?

yojoebro82

...they changed the costume? Even a little bit? Some were mad because they made the cape and boots a slightly darker red in Superman Returns. What's your threshold? Must it be the exact blue, red, and yellow spandex Chritopher Reeve wore? Can you handle some minor color changes? Do you want something totally new?

Personally I think it's time for an update-an update, mind you, not an overhaul-both for the movie and for the comics. The movie would be a good place to get the ball rolling.

I'll be the first one to say that the look takes a back seat to good creators with a good story to tell and I still think it's true here. I also know there are some who are already scrolling down to the "reply" button ready to drop a knowledge bomb on me with an essay on how the costume must never be changed in any way, but hear me out:

Keep the S shield, keep the blue, red, and yellow, keep the cape. Those things are all an essential part of the Superman look. But can we get some revisions? Something new, intersing to look at, exciting, that is still immediately recogniseable as Superman? I think so! It is 2010 (will be 2012 when the movie comes out), are we still going to try to sell him to kids and hope they think he's cool with underwear on the outside?

Batman's loosing the undies in his book in a few months, Wolverine's lost his about 10 years ago! This hasn't/won't affect those characters. The Superman costume can work without the red trunks.

How about gloves? All that's ever needed to be done was to wait for Supes to touch a podium or microphone, wait for him to go away, and get his prints! Hey, he's Clark Kent!

I'm just throwing this out there, I have no specific idea in mind, and I hate to use the word "sell" like I did up there, but it's true. Kids need to find him interesting if Supes going to have any kind of future in movies. His look needs an update. Alex Ross may swear never to paint the new costume, it may be looked at by the babyboomer who's never read a Superman comic and says, "Well that's not how I remember him". In the meantime he'll look new and exciting to a new generation who will be needed to keep Supes alive.

Like I say, the look is meaningless without a good creator, a good story. Keep the origin the same, keep who Superman IS the same. He will easily survive a costume tweak.

Thoughts?

If Spider-man gets to keep the red and blue pajamas, then Superman can keep the underwear. :P

I would be mad if they changed it. The only change that I'm OK with would be a black background on his shield instead of yellow.

Other than that, history has shown that you don't mess with a classic. Leave it the same.

You called them both underwear and trunks.......they are trunks only, sort of like wrestlers and boxers from wayyyy back when.

I think the colors should remain the same, the only thing I can see working is the material. The material used in his costume can change and not that leatheryplastic crap used in Superman Returns, he cape looked a dirty piece of thick heavy plastic.

Like many have said, Superman is a classic, leave it as is.

Sadly super heroes are the only genre out there so disrespected and loathed... even by its own so-called fans... where these fans as well as creators within the genre constantly want to strip away and diminish the elements that make the genre what it is.

Imagine someone wants to make a western but they decide that they don't want to deal with gunfights, horses, indians, bar room brawls, wagons etc and they don't want their characters wearing cowboy hats, spurs, gunbelts etc... The end result is somewhere along the line, they've stopped making a western. Super heroes are creeping towards this. The costumes are gone or changed into something supposedly "believable" or "modern" but usually something as ridiculous as the original design. Powers are stripped away or diluted. Remember how Bryan Singer professed to be a fan of the X-Men, but hated their costumes, found some of their powers to be ridiculous, and hated their villains. Ultimately he reduced them to gangs with powers fighting each other for personal reasons rather than some greater good.

I truly doubt we'll ever see a great super hero movie again. No one has the courage to make one.

• Like 3

Sadly super heroes are the only genre out there so disrespected and loathed... even by its own so-called fans... where these fans as well as creators within the genre constantly want to strip away and diminish the elements that make the genre what it is.

Imagine someone wants to make a western but they decide that they don't want to deal with gunfights, horses, indians, bar room brawls, wagons etc and they don't want their characters wearing cowboy hats, spurs, gunbelts etc... The end result is somewhere along the line, they've stopped making a western. Super heroes are creeping towards this. The costumes are gone or changed into something supposedly "believable" or "modern" but usually something as ridiculous as the original design. Powers are stripped away or diluted. Remember how Bryan Singer professed to be a fan of the X-Men, but hated their costumes, found some of their powers to be ridiculous, and hated their villains. Ultimately he reduced them to gangs with powers fighting each other for personal reasons rather than some greater good.

I truly doubt we'll ever see a great super hero movie again. No one has the courage to make one.

Wow,....I agree with you there.

It WILL be slightly modified.

It will NOT look like Christopher Reeve's costume looked.

SUPERMAN's costume is one of those weird ones that looks fantastic on paper and action figures, but absolutely horrible on a real person. It's underwear with a cape.

I agree.

It WILL be slightly modified.

It will NOT look like Christopher Reeve's costume looked.

SUPERMAN's costume is one of those weird ones that looks fantastic on paper and action figures, but absolutely horrible on a real person. It's underwear with a cape.

Case in point.

The moment you start to believe this is the moment you've probably outgrown Superman.

Unfortunately, so many people writing super heroes these days are in denial about having outgrown the characters they're writing. Instead of acknowledging that they're probably writing for an audience they are no longer a part of, they try to transform the character into what THEY want to read about. "I'm bored with stories about Superman fighting Bizarro. I want to write a story where Superman goes for a walk and philosophizes about being a super hero."

The moment you start to believe this is the moment you've probably outgrown Superman.

Unfortunately, so many people writing super heroes these days are in denial about having outgrown the characters they're writing. Instead of acknowledging that they're probably writing for an audience they are no longer a part of, they try to transform the character into what THEY want to read about. "I'm bored with stories about Superman fighting Bizarro. I want to write a story where Superman goes for a walk and philosophizes about being a super hero."

Oddly enough, I agree with your response, RASH & MJ. Hollywood will make a movie, whether we like it or not. IF they make it more to the classic COMICBOOK sense of what made this character, then it will stand the test of time. If they change Superman too much, then they will lose because,.... well they suck at new creations. You can't change a classic.

We may lose the look we loved in the first place. The underwear and a cape still looks good on camera, so why are you opposed to it?

Why do people keep saying, "underwear".........they are trunks....TRUNKS.

I think because it's a difference that is so minor any yet annoys certain people so much

@smilepunch@

I think a lot of people link the Superman costume too much with who Superman IS...they can't see the difference.

You can't change who Superman IS, that would be wrong. You need to keep the origin, the basic story, the supporting cast, and he needs to fight for Truth, Justice and the (ah-hem) AMERICAN way.

The costume is just a costume. It's a classic costume, but a costume none the less. Keep the elements that make it immediately identifiable as Superman, but other things could be changed.

When Wolverine first appered, Dave Cockrum drew him in underwe....ummmm, TRUNKS. Recently, Wolverine got a new suit but the CHARACTER is still the same and when you see it, you have no doubt it's wolverine. Heck, even if you hate the movie costumes, that was still the Wolverine character on the screen, and that's what matters.

The movies need to capture the essence of the character. That is the theing that makes them unique and stand up over time. The costumes can change.

If some kid walks out of a Superman flick thinking 'wow. That wouldve been an awesome movie except for the fact that Superman was wearing red underwear...' Then either the kid totally missed the point or the filmmakers are serious FAIL at their jobs. Superman' skivvies should NOT be the central debate of whether a film is good or not.

In supes returns they did tweak the suit and i was fine with it,Although the raised superman s did bother me cause if you touched him on the chest you would feel it under his shirt. And no s on the cape sucked. I wouldn't do much more changeing to the suit really,That is what is iconic about superman. So imo i say don't change it up to much.

I can't see superman with plates like the batman suit or no cape at all. If anything give superman somebody worth fighing. darkside,doomsay,parasite,ect. i personally am just tired of lex luther

Knowing that comic book characters seem to always get some design tweaks when going to the big screen, would you rather Superman's costume be altered (retaining the classic color scheme) or the color scheme be altered (retaining the classic costume design e.g. black-suit Superman with silver logo)?

PharmV

Why do people keep saying, "underwear".........they are trunks....TRUNKS.

I think because it's a difference that is so minor any yet annoys certain people so much

smile2.gif

I think a lot of people link the Superman costume too much with who Superman IS...they can't see the difference.

You can't change who Superman IS, that would be wrong. You need to keep the origin, the basic story, the supporting cast, and he needs to fight for Truth, Justice and the (ah-hem) AMERICAN way.

The costume is just a costume. It's a classic costume, but a costume none the less. Keep the elements that make it immediately identifiable as Superman, but other things could be changed.

When Wolverine first appered, Dave Cockrum drew him in underwe....ummmm, TRUNKS. Recently, Wolverine got a new suit but the CHARACTER is still the same and when you see it, you have no doubt it's wolverine. Heck, even if you hate the movie costumes, that was still the Wolverine character on the screen, and that's what matters.

The movies need to capture the essence of the character. That is the theing that makes them unique and stand up over time. The costumes can change.

1. Yes it does get to me. My love for Superman is no big secret and when people say underwear on the outside it makes him sound nothing short of a weirdo pervert.

2. I have not seen Wolverine but the truth be told, the reason why its ok to change his costume is because it isn't as classic as Superman's costume. Wolverine is one of those characters who looks good in his various outfits, I personally like the brown as my favorite and then his black and grey one. Superman is a timeless character whose current costume if still fine with the times.

The movie should not try to reinvent the character. No sickly kids, no costume changes that offer no improvement over the classic design.

The costume needs to be bright and full of primary colors, unlike the X-men Superman is known to even someone who has never picked up a comic book or watched a tv program based on him. If you say the name the classic costume is usually what you think of. Drastically changing it, which is what I feel they did in Superman Returns (there is very little play area with a character as iconic as Superman), and you have people focusing on the suit instead of the movie.

Keep the costume simple, its worked for decades and is one of the most reconnized costumes in comics.

What they need to do is focus on the movie itself. I rather they stay away from any cheap ploy to beat Superman...like a mountain of floating kryptonite, and have a villain that is Superman's physical equal or better on Superman's best day.

If you want the movie to work though you must respect the source material far more so then really any other hero. I think you could put Batman in a urban camo ninja outfit with no cape or bat eared cowl and fans would be more ok with that then turning Superman's primary suit color from blue to black or even navy.

The movie should not try to reinvent the character. No sickly kids, no costume changes that offer no improvement over the classic design.

The costume needs to be bright and full of primary colors, unlike the X-men Superman is known to even someone who has never picked up a comic book or watched a tv program based on him. If you say the name the classic costume is usually what you think of. Drastically changing it, which is what I feel they did in Superman Returns (there is very little play area with a character as iconic as Superman), and you have people focusing on the suit instead of the movie.

Keep the costume simple, its worked for decades and is one of the most reconnized costumes in comics.

What they need to do is focus on the movie itself. I rather they stay away from any cheap ploy to beat Superman...like a mountain of floating kryptonite, and have a villain that is Superman's physical equal or better on Superman's best day.

If you want the movie to work though you must respect the source material far more so then really any other hero. I think you could put Batman in a urban camo ninja outfit with no cape or bat eared cowl and fans would be more ok with that then turning Superman's primary suit color from blue to black or even navy.

Words of wisdom.