Star Wars in 3D in 2012

Wheeljack35

http://heatvision.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/09/star-wars-movies-coming-in-2012.html

Big news on the 3D front.

Sources indicate that George Lucas is set on re-releasing the entire “Star Wars” franchise in new 3D conversions beginning in 2012. Though the 3D versions have been rumored for some time, Lucas was purportedly waiting until there were enough 3D screens available to make the release a sizable enough event.

Fox, which released all six of the original “Star Wars” films, would also release the 3D versions.

Part One, “The Phantom Menace,” would be first out of star-dock in the early months of 2012. After that, each of the films would be released in order at the same time each consecutive year, depending on how well the first re-release does.

Each conversion takes at least a year to complete, with Lucas personally overseeing the process to make sure each one is as perfected as possible. Lucas has said that the “Avatar” experience convinced him that “Star Wars” was ready for the state-of-the-art 3D treatment.

Also pushing the timetable is a potential breakthrough in 3D television technology. With Samsung penetrating the market with 50,000-plus 3D-equipped televisions and Sony sending its version to market in recent months, the home-viewing experience could be primed for 3D DVD versions of the classic films by the time the new 3D series runs its course.

Lucas is purportedly cuing up the theatrical re-releases as a lead-in to the ultimate home viewing experience. Beyond that, the property would launch to all other 3D media.

I skoffed at this at first, but then I thought how cool it could be to watch a 3D Xwing fight in ANH, a 3D asteroid chase in ESB, or a 3D ROTJ rankor reaching out at you...IF it's done right. Some how I have a feeling things like that asteroid space worm will be made "better" by being turned into some bug-eyed, drooling, technocolor CGI cartoon.

And if they are just doing one a year, wake me in 2015. No way am I paying for the prequils again.

Not into this at all. I just don't get a kick out of seeing any movie in 3D, to me it's just really pointless.

And yes...given a choice, if a movie is offered in 2D or 3D in the same theater I always pick the 2D version.

And I'd hardly call 3D tv's "penetrating" any market. There are over 300 million people in the US, 50k is barely a small chunk.

ways to ruin starwars

1.remaster the original trilogy too many times check

2.create an annoying character who every fan wants to strangle with piano wire check

3.make the original series 3d check

god damnit (spits on floor)

• Like 1

ways to ruin starwars

2.create an annoying character who every fan wants to strangle with piano wire check

Agreed! At this point Lucas has over milked the crap out of this franchise. Lets just get the Saga out on Blu-Ray and be done with it unless new movies and or series is made. Especially having to wait an entire year for each film in 3D to come out in theaters. Dumb!

Agreed! At this point Lucas has over milked the crap out of this franchise. Lets just get the Saga out on Blu-Ray and be done with it unless new movies and or series is made. Especially having to wait an entire year for each film in 3D to come out in theaters. Dumb!

I assume the rationale for one a year is to alleviate options. If they were bi-annual or quarterly someone may skip The Phantom Menace or another movie less desired to watch because "Episode X" is only a few months away. But make them a year apart and it may bring more people to the lesser enjoyed of the franchise.

And it's not like they are new movies we are waiting on pins and needles to see. You can always pop the others in the ol' DVD player. I think it's an awesome idea. I'll be glad to take my son to see the entire saga on the big screen.

ways to ruin starwars

I don't really care for blu-rays myself but I know a few people who do want Starwars on Blu-ray

I assume the rationale for one a year is to alleviate options. If they were bi-annual or quarterly someone may skip The Phantom Menace or another movie less desired to watch because "Episode X" is only a few months away. But make them a year apart and it may bring more people to the lesser enjoyed of the franchise.

And it's not like they are new movies we are waiting on pins and needles to see. You can always pop the others in the ol' DVD player. I think it's an awesome idea. I'll be glad to take my son to see the entire saga on the big screen.

According to the article that Wheeljack posted "Each conversion takes at least a year to complete". If it takes a year to make them RotJ won't be ready until 2017 anyways so they might as well release them as they finish them instead of holding them back to release them closer together.

According to the article that Wheeljack posted "Each conversion takes at least a year to complete". If it takes a year to make them RotJ won't be ready until 2017 anyways so they might as well release them as they finish them instead of holding them back to release them closer together.

I'm still suprised it only takes a year to convert a film to 3d you'd think it would take longer