Captain America Movie...

Nguyen_Dragon

Tell me, do you guys think this movie will conclude with Cap sacrificing himself? Or will it end on him being found by SHIELD?? I think the regular film will end on the sacrifice and fall out, and the extra snippet at the end will show him found alive by SHIELD!! Agree or disagree??

The extra should tie him to The Avengers movie... Thats how I would do it...

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great way to bring about the retrieving of Cap!!! I hope they do a good job of telling the story, so it's not hokey!!

So if that's the case, I wonder what the extra tidbit will be at the end??? Them all assembled?? Ohh nice!!!

That's a great way to bring about the retrieving of Cap!!! I hope they do a good job of telling the story, so it's not hokey!!

So if that's the case, I wonder what the extra tidbit will be at the end??? Them all assembled?? Ohh nice!!!

That would be badass even for a second...

That would be badass even for a second...

that would be epic I think the extra tibit will be Shield finding the Cosmic cube there was a hidden ending for thor where Nick Fury shows the cosmic cube to Jane foster's dad who is posessed by Loki

I think that would be going backwards!!! If not officially assembled in uniform, then perhaps they show em together getting to meet each other!! That would be awesome!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Bought this on DVD today! Watching the commentary by Joe Johnston they said that wasn't a body double when Steve is a skinny 90 lb weakling, but Chris Evans just digitally tweaked and some LOTR style camera angles. And in some cases, people standing on apple boxes to look taller than him.

how screwed up is it that we get Star Wars figures of EVERYONE who ever appeared on screen for any length of time, including that one guy with the ice cream maker from Empire who appeared for about a second and a half

That guy had no business being an action figure. Leaving him on the shelf was a pleasure. :)

I used to collect star wars figs intensely I have a very sizable collection needless to say things like the Ice Cream maker guy action figure was one of the reasons I quit(the other being being the constant rehash of action figure/characters). Back to Captain America I agree more figures are needed Red Skull, Howling Commandos and Bucky with sniper rifle goes without saying.

Rented it last night!! Enjoyed it this morning again!!! Such a great film!! Action, humor, even a bit o' romance thrown in!!!

If they had just gotten that one dance...

That's what makes it all dramatic and good and stuff.

When Steve Rogers and Carter are sat in a bombed out pub in London during an air raid, a rather modern sounding two tone emergency services vehicle siren can be heard outside. Emergency vehicles during the 1940s used bells and this type of siren was not used until the 1970s.:P

• Like 1

Well, I finally got around to watching this not too long ago. It wasn't horrible. Not really my thing, though. Found it a bit rushed, kinda sloppy with some story telling elements, and hard to get through the first half hour or so. I wouldn't call it the worst comic book movie, but I think it's far from the best. At least Cap didn't have a life altering epiphany all in one day's time while out drinking...ahem...Thor, I'm looking at you. I just feel like th ecloser they are getting to the Avengers movie, the more they are trying to rush through guy's stories to get to the next chapter in building the Avengers.

Sorry, I never understand the whole "they're just rushing it through to get to the Avengers" criticism that's aimed exclusively at the Marvel films. Virtually every movie in existence "rushes" the character beats in a similar manner because they're limited by their running time. Were people expecting that there would be three or four Captain America movies meticulously chronicling the entirety of World War II before they brought him to the modern day? Were they expecting the Marvel movies to be four or five hour marathon films so things weren't "rushed?" Did they think Marvel was going to spend twenty years building up the Avengers before they made the film (by that point with the second or third set of actors in all the lead roles)?

What, to the minds of those criticizing it for being "rushed" could have been done better if they were not "rushed?" What would have been significantly and inarguably better about the movie? More importantly, how much time do they need to be "not rushed?" What's the arbitrary number that means it's "not rushed?" Bearing in mind the Marvel movie production timelines have thus far not been particularly unusual for modern filmmaking.

• Like 3

Okay, I loved The Cap film and I think Marvel is doing a bang up job on each and every one of these Avenger films.

But if I can play devil's advocate on the 'rushed' thing, I think part of it stems from viewers and fans who are familiar with these stories, be it Cap, or Thor, or whomever. And as such, if you think about it, there is almost a 'checklist' of events that have to happen in the film in order to satisfy it as an origin tale and encompass the character for new fans.

You have to introduce Steve and his motivations.

You have to introduce Red Skull.

You have to give Skull a macguffin doomsday device for Cap to save the world from.

You have to have the whole Super Soldier Serum origin.

You have to have the Costume origin.

You have to introduce the Shield.

You have to have a Cap/Skull Meeting before the finale.

You have to introduce Bucky, and Peggy, and the Howling Commandos, etc.

You have to work a romance subplot in.

The list goes on and on. And NOT having these elements in a Cap film would be noticed and commented and complained about. And each item on the list takes up precious screentime. Eventually, it can feel like you're just bouncing from one 'moment' to the next so you can get them all in the film. hence, it feeling 'rushed' to some because you're waiting for something 'new' to happen and it never does, because you know this story already.

Personally, I think the movie balanced all that out very well and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I can see how some people might feel like there could've been more.

• Like 1

That's a pretty good explaination of how I felt about the movie. It did feel more like a checklist that didn't really flow very well together. And I'm tired of two minute montage being used to tell months worth of story telling. I know they have to do it to keep it from being a movie that goes on forever, I just hate it when it is used. It almost cheapens it for me.

Also, I didn't like how in the Thor movie, Thor went from being the super ego driven character from the beginning of the film, to being the selfless hero in one night's time. If there was ever a need for one of those two minute montages, it was there.

Another rushed element all in the name of the Avenger movie was the so called introduction of Hawkeye. Here's your 15 seconds of fame. Now, Marvel fanboys knew that was Hawkeye, and thought it was a pretty cool throw in. But the thousands of people that don't know the Avengers outside of these movies were probably wondering what the heck that guy was doing with a bow and arrow instead of a rifle. No backstory, no further mention in the movie, just a 15 second scene that really didn't explain anything to the casual fan. Even Ironman 2, for all that people hated about it, did a better job of fleshing out additional Avenger characters (Black Widow and Fury). Hawkeye just seems like a throwaway character here.

I don't expect to see 3-4 Captain America movies about his exploits in Germany before an Avenger's movie (though from what I've heard, his sequels will more than likely take place in the WWII era). I just didn't want to watch a typical origin checklist film. I didn't really feel like he was the iconic Cap we all know. It may just have been Chris Evans acting, but he seemed a bit stale and his character kinda fell flat. Those are just my opinions on it. I'm sure some people thought Evans did a great job as Cap. That's great. I'm not trying to convince them otherwise. I just didn't like it. And I felt like these last two movies have been rushed in the story telling department.

That's a pretty good explaination of how I felt about the movie. It did feel more like a checklist that didn't really flow very well together. And I'm tired of two minute montage being used to tell months worth of story telling. I know they have to do it to keep it from being a movie that goes on forever, I just hate it when it is used. It almost cheapens it for me.

Also, I didn't like how in the Thor movie, Thor went from being the super ego driven character from the beginning of the film, to being the selfless hero in one night's time. If there was ever a need for one of those two minute montages, it was there.

Another rushed element all in the name of the Avenger movie was the so called introduction of Hawkeye. Here's your 15 seconds of fame. Now, Marvel fanboys knew that was Hawkeye, and thought it was a pretty cool throw in. But the thousands of people that don't know the Avengers outside of these movies were probably wondering what the heck that guy was doing with a bow and arrow instead of a rifle. No backstory, no further mention in the movie, just a 15 second scene that really didn't explain anything to the casual fan. Even Ironman 2, for all that people hated about it, did a better job of fleshing out additional Avenger characters (Black Widow and Fury). Hawkeye just seems like a throwaway character here.

I don't expect to see 3-4 Captain America movies about his exploits in Germany before an Avenger's movie (though from what I've heard, his sequels will more than likely take place in the WWII era). I just didn't want to watch a typical origin checklist film. I didn't really feel like he was the iconic Cap we all know. It may just have been Chris Evans acting, but he seemed a bit stale and his character kinda fell flat. Those are just my opinions on it. I'm sure some people thought Evans did a great job as Cap. That's great. I'm not trying to convince them otherwise. I just didn't like it. And I felt like these last two movies have been rushed in the story telling department.

You're entitled to your opinion, but would the addition of a two-minute montage of Thor being happy-smiley cuddly with the people of Puente Antigua New Mexico have made his transition really feel any less "rushed" to you? I mean, yeah, it takes place over a couple days at most, but people can and do have epiphanies in shorter amounts of time...that's the whole point of epiphanies in the first place...they're sudden and momentous, like a light switch being turned on in your head. It's the "a-ha" moment. For Thor, it's (ironically) Loki's lying to him about Odin's death and Thor's "perma-banishment" following his inability to lift Mjolnir that finally makes Thor realize, "Damn...I really have been an ass and deserve this punishment." So from that point forward...he tries to do something about it.

Oh, and they already confirmed most of the next Cap movie takes place in the present day, though i believe they've said there will be WW II flashbacks as well.

I can get the Hawkeye criticism, but I also think from a filmmaking perspective it was done in the manner it was because Renner was cast after most of the filming for Thor was already done. They knew they wanted an "Avengers" cameo so they filmed it after the fact and that's why the Hawkeye stuff does seem "detached" from the rest of the film. So to an extent I agree with your criticism there, but also see why (for example) he didn't show up to get blasted aside by the Destroyer later on in the film, since that would have required additional re-filming and editing. Personally I could have done without the Hawkeye cameo, but ehn...some folks liked it and Marvel Studios wanted to get Renner's face out there in front of the cameras. Hardly a deal-breaker as the rest of the movie goes, just as I said, weirdly detached from the rest of the film.

As for Evans, well...he's -not- the iconic Cap yet, and shouldn't be. The iconic Cap is the Captain America that's been running around in the "present day" for 10+ years and is the veteran leader of the Avengers, etc... He does seem more authoritative by the end of the film, though, and from the previews for the Avengers seems a little more assertive there, as well (though we'll see). I do agree that Captain America could have done with at least one more fully fleshed out "mission/action" scene to show a little more of Steve progressing as a leader, but again...the constraints of running time often aren't even in the hands of directors, but mandated by studios that want the movie to be shown as many times per day on a screen as reasonably possible.

Thor didn't change because of all of those things. Thor was still the same arrogant bastard all the way up until he couldn't lift the hammer. And then he was moping around for about an hour, had a drink or two (dozen) with one of his new earth friends, had a cuddly moment with a hot chic that same night, and the next day he was all about selfless sacrifice for the human race. That is why I said it happened in one day. And yes, I did watch the movie. Him getting "stripped of his goddly power, exiled from his home, hit by a hot chick in her beat-up van (twice), tasered, drugged" didn't do anything to change who he was. The Thor that went into the SHIELD compound was no different than the one that went after the frost giants. And then "only to learn he isn't worthy to lift it, being told his father is dead, said death was his fault, and oh yes, learning his beloved brother was lying to him from the get-go, plans to start a war, destroy an entire realm. and has sent The Destroyer to kill Thor and everyone around him" this all takes place in the span of 24 hours. So his epiphany of "the poor fragile humans who despite their powerlessness are capable of the very acts of bravery, selflessness, and kindness that Thor seemed in capable of showing" came in one day's time. Which was my point exactly. I'm not saying it's impossible. As was noted, the whole idea behind the epiphany is that it's almost like a light swith turning on. But it just seemed rushed that he went from being solely focused on trying to get his hammer and get back home, to being so concerned about the well being of earth realm with very little true interaction other than one night's campfire book reading session.