what if the 3 prequels were made in 77?

TMNTFAN85

its just a curious question what if in 1977 we gotten starwars (phantom menance) instead of a new hope? how would starwars feel then?

how would the toys look like in vintage style? like having a vintage style kenobi (young) and vintage style jango fett, jar jar binks would be a full blown puppetin the movie.

as well as yoda,

and what if the 1999 release of a new hope begin, would those who hate episode 1 hate episode 4 if made in the current time of 1999?

would we get a cartoon show inbetween 4 5 & 6?

would fans feel it doesn't feel like starwars to them? yet kids today would love it?

ya'll know where i'm getting at? its a what if things were switched around. reason why i thought of this is...well i was fiddling around with my mail away boba fett figure i got recently

and i stared at him and imagine a jango fett version. then my mind wandered....

its a fun lil topic to think of. i think anyway...

IMO a lot of the ridiculousness in SW would of been eliminated. I always thought Lucas was playing catch up with his storylines and I think some absurd things would not be in them, even though he did them latter on in life.

1. I seriously doubt Luke and Leia would be brother and sister, I believe that was not one of his original ideas

2. DV creating C3PO would never of happened and just would be sooooo stupid that Vader would not recognize him and have some impact on him in ESB

3. Fatherless birth and midiclorians would not of happened to explain vader's birth or powers, I think he was trying to add some deeper and it came off as tacky

4. No jar jar, his tone was different in the first 2 and got sidetracked by appealing to kids by the third (Ewoks)

5. Hopefully we would not of been saddled with the clone wars, personally I am more interested in Vader hunting down the remaining Jedi than Anakin during the Clone Wars.....I am sorry, I just do not like the attention the Clone Wars gets. Also I would love to see more of Tarkins story, I love the idea that he landed a crusier on a bunch of protesters....now that would be something to see in a movie.

Well if it was in 77 it would be different because back then there was no CGI and I think armys of robot would be out of the question.You might of seen the clones as the bad guys and the Jedi taking them on.Possibly we would of seen more of the Mandeloreans too.

If they did do droid armies it would of been men in costumes that sort of looked like a protocal droid

If we presume that Star Wars started with Phantom Menace instead of A New Hope, back in '77........I don't think the films would be the phenomena they are today.

In terms of story and visual iconography, A New Hope simply has the landmark touchstones that resonate with audiences. Phantom Menace's weakness is that it jumps into its story relying upon about 30 years worth of visual iconography that was laid by the SW films and the films that followed them.

The films would feel differently, by a great margin, and the charm of them would be less apparent.

The details of content......I don't think would make any difference, but there was nothing distinctive about what the Prequels did that was no present in many science fiction/fantasy themes of the time.

A New Hope was, for many people, a nigh-religious epiphany experience when the movie debuted. There was nothing quite like it in terms of a cinematic package. True that it drew from an enormous well of cinema before it, but SW gathered it together in a way not attempted before.

In a deeper way, if you look at the timing of ANH it came after a decade of nearly unbridled cynicism in movies and ANH offered a paradigm shift in tone for cinema, as a whole. TPM is not hopeful in that respect, because its got a lot of annoying elements to it ( Young Anakin, Jar Jar etc.) and its quite a bland action movie to begin with. Granted its style of action cinema also came AFTERWARDS, but AS A MOVIE, its quite tepid, despite some of the visual spectacle.

The idea of a child hero saving the day was both cloying and annoying to many back then, because TV cartoons and children's programming were still at the forefront of that kind of story element, and it would not have sold as well as a young man in the role of the hero.

I think the one saving grace about TPM is Darth Maul. I think he would have been even bigger as a character back in '77, simply because his visual presence is so striking--but that alone would not be enough to lift the film out of the mundane.

Now, granted......following up with AOTC and ROTS would have been as successful as TESB and ROTJ, because visually they hit as many visual hits as TESB did, and I think ROTS is, pound for pound, a better tie-up movie than ROTJ was. I think AOTC and ROTS have grander epic scale than TESB or ROTJ, but we have to remember that they bore the benefits of following up AFTER them. The visual settings for AOTC and ROTS would have never happened if we had not first explored the environments in TESB and ROTJ.

In a sense the films all evolved the way they did because they had to work within the limitations they had at the time. Removing that consideration, and you'd have to score eps 4,5 & 6 as lesser films because they are limited in scope.

In terms of their literal mythology.....eps 4, 5 & 6 have it all over the prequels. The stories are simpler, the character arcs are more bold, clear and defined--and the whole are just easier to follow.

The prequels have set pieces, that while spectacular......don't really do much to progress the story--while Eps 4, 5& 6 have set pieces that sell either character development or plot progression.