Custom Venice Library and Catacombs

Stay_Dread

I'm pleased with how the Grail Temple is coming along so I decided to start work on the Venice library. The scene was shot at the church of San Barnaba in Venice, so I had plenty of reference photos to use.

San-Barnaba-di-Venezia-Venice.jpg

I cut out a sheet of greyboard for the facade and sketched on the details to get the proportions right:

CIMG6743.jpg

Here are a few details assembled:

CIMG6767.jpg

A few more details on the surface:

CIMG6775.jpg

• Like 1

I've also started work on the catacombs, which will fit below the church. Here are two coffins made from card with ribbon glued on for detail. They still have to be painted:

CIMG6745.jpg

Back in the library, I've decided to the make the floor as a decal, so I went on the web and downloaded a photo of some marble, then changed the colour and made a decal on photoshop. Feel free to use it if you want:

churchfloor2.jpg

Working on the interior again. Here's a reference photo.

111.jpg

Thought I would work on the bookshelves next. I made them out of card, with wooden sticks for the shelves, then I glued on some corragated card for the books.

CIMG6764.jpg

I glued on some wooden architraves from a doll's house shop and painted them with woodstain.

CIMG6776.jpg

Then I made the signs on photoshop and printed them out on gold paper. The first two sings are accurate to what's in the movie. I had to make up the last sign because you never get a clear shot of it.

librarysigns.jpg

CIMG6791.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Holy cripes!!!! This is phenomenal!

You REALLY need to post these at some other forums, like The Raider.net and the Rebelscum/Cool Toy Review forums.

This INCREDIBLE work needs to be seen by the whole world!!!!

EXTRAORDINARY!!! Can't wait to see the end result!!!

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on the library:

I needed to make the floral decoration at the top of the building, so I made a latex mould of a piece of decoration on our mantelpiece and reproduced it in PVA glue.

CIMG6808.jpg

Here it is glued in place:

CIMG6828.jpg

Below ground, I decided to make the knight's body. I bought two Army of Darkness figures, which are great for IJ skeletons etc, and swapped the hands and face over:

CIMG6811.jpg

Here's the finished figure:

CIMG6816.jpg

Here he is in his coffin, which is still unpainted:

CIMG6818.jpg

Now I'm feeling giddy as a schoolboy. I'll add the knight's shield eventually, but in the meantime I need to find more skeletons and skulls to put in the catacombs.

A few more details added to the facade:

CIMG6829.jpg

I bought the niches in a doll's house shop. They're not totally accurate to what's in the film and I was going to mod them a little, but I decided they look pretty good they way they are and I don't want to risk messing them up. They also have lion's heads on them, which links up with the Grail Temple pretty well.

nice. this will look amazing in the end. are you the same guy who wanted to do an x-mension once? i never heard from him again. cant wait to see more.

That wasn't me, I mostly just make Indiana Jones dios, and a few Star Wars and Lord of the Rings ones.

I would love to see your Lord of the Rings dios do you have any pictures of them?

nice. this will look amazing in the end. are you the same guy who wanted to do an x-mension once? i never heard from him again. cant wait to see more.

That wasn't me, I mostly just make Indiana Jones dios, and a few Star Wars and Lord of the Rings ones.

You must post your Star Wars dios I would love to see them

woah star wars and lord of the rings. you have to show them, please. lol. lol.

The LOTR and Star Wars dios need more work before I can post them. I was working on a Lars Homestead and a wampa's cave. I'll get round to finishing them one day, but at the minute I'm still occupied with Indiana Jones - it helps make up for the disappointment of Hasbro killing the line off.

There's a guy called Niubniub who makes great Star Wars dios.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...