G.I.Joe: Renegades Voice Cast Breakdown

The Wire

I always had the feeling that Renegades would be Cobras hunting the Joes but it sounds like its Joes hunting Joes and Cobra is pulling strings that kinda sucks but it will be interesting to see how the pull it off.

I'm actually curious who the guy standing next to Hawk is? first thought was Beachhead but I'd think they would keep his balaclava if it was (also noticed the MP badge after a few seconds).

I always had the feeling that Renegades would be Cobras hunting the Joes but it sounds like its Joes hunting Joes and Cobra is pulling strings that kinda sucks but it will be interesting to see how the pull it off.

I'm actually curious who the guy standing next to Hawk is? first thought was Beachhead but I'd think they would keep his balaclava if it was (also noticed the MP badge after a few seconds).

I think it's a "greenshirt" or one of Flint's team members (probably mostly generic guys.

So let's go over all the problems shall we....

1. Flint's a bad guy. Yes he isn't in cobra, but if he doesn't trust Duke and as out to catch him this puts him as a non member of G.I.Joe.

2. CC is revealed. That's right, in case you didn't bother to read the cast list CC's name is Adam DeCobray. Finally completing the lame cartoon villian version by giving him a snake theme name :( The basically made CC and Cobra, Destro and Mars. W/ Destro being a corprate hostage. I'm sure it's normal for a corporate bussiness practices that after a hostel take over, you force the newbies to wear metal masks.

3. AND THIS WOULD MAKE A GREAT Q AND A: Is hasbro trying to make some kind of political statement by turning Cobra (G.I.Joe's long time TERRORIST enemies) into corporations (specifically pharmaceutical ones ) or maybe they are making a statement by making:

4. The U.S. Government the other major Enemy of G.I.Joe It hardly seems like a "G.I.Joe" at all when the U.S., is the Enemy. Way to go, first it's international, then it's having the U.S. as the Bad Guy.

5: Hawk is white fury. Way to continue the originality parade that is Renegades.

6. there is more, but i don't have the time (who likes rock n roll music? whose the team medic? i bet your answers are wrong : O )

But to end things on a little more positive note:

I like the fact that The Baroness and SS get their cooler more realistic DDP names.

Complete agreement on the Lady Jaye bastardization.

And you know who's getting the shaft? Stalker. Rather than using the original Af-American Joe with a rich back story and history with many of the main characters, they gotta use the guy that was originally a WHITE GUY.

Complete agreement on the Lady Jaye bastardization.

And you know who's getting the shaft? Stalker. Rather than using the original Af-American Joe with a rich back story and history with many of the main characters, they gotta use the guy that was originally a WHITE GUY.

Ripcord is a easier code-name to work with, because the modern connotation of "stalker" is just plain awkward. The average person would not fully connect the military context of a stalker being a tracker or point-man, and neither of those terms make for as good as alternate code-names. So they dump Stalker, pick Ripcord and change his race.

Something else I just noticed. They left Lady Jaye's real name the same. Allison Hart-Burnett seems kinda WASPy Mcwhitywhite for a 'scrappy Latina'. And will she pronounce her own codename Lady Haye?

Honestly, they coulda just made up a brand new character. Its not like potential new fans wouldve appreciated the brandname recognition of someone like LJ.

A tough and scrappy "one of the guys" type latina !?! They killed it for me right there. You can make Roadblock a head-banging guitarist, you can make Ripcord a black guy, I don't even mind you gave Tunnel Rat an out of left-field specialty that makes no since even within the universe of your own show, but leave Lady Jaye ALONE.

While we're on the subject, what kinda crap stereo-type is that? Why are all latinas tough and scrappy types?

How much you wanna bet that they are eyeing Michelle Rodriguez for the movie version. Or that its coming down the line. More Joes changing backgrounds and such. Its not just changing white characters to minorities that makes me say "Really!?" I'd be equally pissed if they made Roadblock a white head-banger.....(Just like that TERRIBLE "Michelangeo" Beachhead from Spytroops")Put Jinx in there or something.....or even the female Dial-tone.

Wow talk about a lot of negativity.

Once again for everyone. This isn't ARAH!!!! It seems that TF fans finally figured it out and enjoy the new versions they get every couple of years. We need to start doing the same.

I'm actually glad to see that the show isn't going with the one dimensional Cobra vs. Joe. Having the government after them, using other Joes basically, should make for some interesting stories. As long as they don't dumb it down too much for kids. It makes sense the governemnt would want them to come in and if they don't follow orders then they would send people after them. Granted, it may not make for good long term story telling, but we have to wait and see.

Also, the characterization/backstory behind each character seems like more actual thought was put into each character than was put into the whole line of characters for most of the past 10 years. Some will work, others won't, that's just the way it goes. However it looks like at least it won't be for a lack of trying. Voices could really make or break some of the characters. Cobra Commander is still going to be a masked man behind the scenes with a "fake" Adam Decobray character. That makes infinitely more sense than a masked man who is always seen trying to run an organization behind a mask.

Cobra also has a more realistic goal. Rather than world domination, or power through money, it seems to be more along the fanatical side with the desire to rebuild the world in their image (much like certain terrorist groups today).

I'm hopeful for the new series. The art design doesn't move me, but it doesn't look awful either.

Some stuff sounds cool(Cobra pulling strings to have Joes V.S. Joes), others a bit iffy for me(Tunnel Rat being a Medic as well?). All in all, will have to wait and see. Sometimes, changes could actually make things work better, so long as the story is written well. So long as they are doing changes for the sake of good story telling and to make it fresh telling, and not changes for the sake of changes or just so that it can be different from pervious Joe cartoons just to justify the changes.

My 2 cents, I might actually hate this more than the movie and until now I did not think such a thing was possible. I understand making some alterations to appeal to a new audience but this is too much. I noticed the when changing races no minorities became white. That seems pretty messed up in its own right. I also would rather see Stalker that "fake" Ripcord any day. Plus, if they are trying to cover ra...err, bases then where the hell is Spirit? What, he can get a new figure(totally ripped from Predator) bujt he cannot get in the new cartoon? After reading the short bios I am just disappointed with all of it.

My 2 cents, I might actually hate this more than the movie and until now I did not think such a thing was possible. I understand making some alterations to appeal to a new audience but this is too much. I noticed the when changing races no minorities became white. That seems pretty messed up in its own right. I also would rather see Stalker that "fake" Ripcord any day. Plus, if they are trying to cover ra...err, bases then where the hell is Spirit? What, he can get a new figure(totally ripped from Predator) bujt he cannot get in the new cartoon? After reading the short bios I am just disappointed with all of it.

Wasn't Tunnel Rat a white guy in Sigma Six? If ya meant in television remakes in general, minorities do get changed into caucassians, but it depends on the race

Wasn't Tunnel Rat a white guy in Sigma Six? If ya meant in television remakes in general, minorities do get changed into caucassians, but it depends on the race

Didn't seem to a white guy to me, just had brown hair. It's hard to tell in that style anyways. Of course Stormshadow did have blue eyes in JVC.

Once again for everyone. This isn't ARAH!!!! It seems that TF fans finally figured it out and enjoy the new versions they get every couple of years. We need to start doing the same.

I'm actually glad to see that the show isn't going with the one dimensional Cobra vs. Joe. Having the government after them, using other Joes basically, should make for some interesting stories. As long as they don't dumb it down too much for kids. It makes sense the governemnt would want them to come in and if they don't follow orders then they would send people after them. Granted, it may not make for good long term story telling, but we have to wait and see.

Also, the characterization/backstory behind each character seems like more actual thought was put into each character than was put into the whole line of characters for most of the past 10 years. Some will work, others won't, that's just the way it goes. However it looks like at least it won't be for a lack of trying. Voices could really make or break some of the characters. Cobra Commander is still going to be a masked man behind the scenes with a "fake" Adam Decobray character. That makes infinitely more sense than a masked man who is always seen trying to run an organization behind a mask.

Cobra also has a more realistic goal. Rather than world domination, or power through money, it seems to be more along the fanatical side with the desire to rebuild the world in their image (much like certain terrorist groups today).

I'm hopeful for the new series. The art design doesn't move me, but it doesn't look awful either.

I really can't agree with a single thing your saying. Yourr comment about Cobra makes no sense, it's the same goal they always have had, except now they have been blurred with MARS. Fake or not, Adam Decobray is a name, and a silly one. How can more thought have been put into these characters when despite my objections on most of the alterations, most still have a bassis in that history? How is ripping off the plot from A team a lot of thought? fmost of the alterations aren't new, justing swapping out parts of characters for other characters. Maybe cobra vs. joe is one deminsional, but it's pretty much always been that. You can sneak in other factions (and they have) w/o making the U.S. government an enemy!

Of course there is negativity. Joe is getting changed even more than TF. TFs can't really changes races etc. But you haven't seen Bumbleblee blue have you? or Ironhide as a medic? Megatron with a very public human personality? or maybe TFS as a bussiness etc. Not to mention Tfs have had more shots than Joe has. this a little closer to Joe than Sigma or ROC but still doesn't hit the mark. I'm not expecting Resolute part II, but this is crap :(

I really can't agree with a single thing your saying. Yourr comment about Cobra makes no sense, it's the same goal they always have had, except now they have been blurred with MARS. Fake or not, Adam Decobray is a name, and a silly one. How can more thought have been put into these characters when despite my objections on most of the alterations, most still have a bassis in that history? How is ripping off the plot from A team a lot of thought? fmost of the alterations aren't new, justing swapping out parts of characters for other characters. Maybe cobra vs. joe is one deminsional, but it's pretty much always been that. You can sneak in other factions (and they have) w/o making the U.S. government an enemy!

Of course there is negativity. Joe is getting changed even more than TF. TFs can't really changes races etc. But you haven't seen Bumbleblee blue have you? or Ironhide as a medic? Megatron with a very public human personality? or maybe TFS as a bussiness etc. Not to mention Tfs have had more shots than Joe has. this a little closer to Joe than Sigma or ROC but still doesn't hit the mark. I'm not expecting Resolute part II, but this is crap :(

The way I see this is that they need a new story direction from the previous staid incarnations.

Its still GIJOE versus COBRA, but this time around COBRA starts with the façade of being morally ascendant. Right away there's instant drama and NEW story potential here. Its like in wrestling....the good guy, the one they want you to root for is the one who is chasing the belt, not holding it. This time around, Cobra is the heel who is holding the belt and GIJOE is trying to gain (regain) it.

The story point that has other Joes chasing the renegades is a great twist, because again it gives some of the characters a moral quandary when they actually do catch up with the fugitives. Its not just the "how does COBRA vex the Joes this week" sort of storyline we've had in the past.

Hasbro has a plan for the series, that much is clear.

My take is that the first seasons intent is the "renegades" theme, where COBRA is built as an organization that is seen as powerful, but benevolent, but who are secretly plotting and scheming to do evil deeds. The Joes are trying to gather intel, while thwarting COBRA when they can.

Along the way, the various set pieces of the stories give us background on the various players, letting us get to know just WHO these Joes and COBRAs are.

I think this is more about the fall of COBRA as a seemingly benign entity and into a evil organization, and the counter ascendency of the Joes as true hereos.

I mean, other than just TELLING US that COBRA are bad guys, and the Joes are good guys ( boring) like they have in the past, this time around they can SHOW US why they are the way they are.

Lotta potential there.