25th Dial Tone; Collectors Club Exclusive

yojoebro82

Here's what you ladies need to remember:

ANY FIGURE THE CLUB PRODUCES IS A FIGURE THAT HASBRO HAS TOLD THEM (OR BY PERMITTING THEM TO MAKE) THEY HAVE NO PLANS TO MAKE THEMSELVES.

So, it's this - Dialtone with the Club or NO DIALTONE.

You "25th Anniversary!!!" champions who hate anything new should be thanking the club, since Hasbro won't have anything to do with this figure.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but think about it and know the situation before you complain.

Tom

You've hit on the greater question though and that is:

WHY DOES HASBRO HAVE NO INTENTION OF MAKING THESE FIGURES? Sorry, I just thought I'd shout too. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I'm not suggesting or even expecting that Hasbro goes back to a purely 25th aesthetic, but how can they act surprised by fan demand for Slaughter when he was asked about in nearly every QnA? Likewise, I'm sure they'll act surprised that some might be frustrated about Dial Tone being an exclusive as well despite his being asked for in numerous QnAs.

I understand that Hasbro is moving on with the whole Pursuit of Cobra look, but it's their universe/continuity. How hard is it to slip in a character per wave and continue the updates? Make up a back story. Isn't the current gal DT the original's daughter or something? Have a flashback of the original Dial Tone on the card back - I don't care. Would it really be that detrimental to the line to only put out a different Snake Eyes every other wave and do someone else instead?

Ah well, maybe it'll motivate me to get busy on my custom version.

Good question Dake, but i'm not sure we will ever know or like the answer. With slaughter, it had to do with WWE but with dialtone i'm unsure. THe female dialtone came from renaming a new character for IDW (which was assinine should have been Firewall at the least) but for some reason Hasbro rolled with it. Maybe there is something we are missing about the character that we don't know.

I often wonder about the things that do get out. The last wave of the 25th being an obvious wtf ? Did we really need a blue stormy that was barely released? the repainted dreadnoks? how about using the slots for a kitbash of someone? or a Crimson Shadow Gaurd etc. At some point in ROC why on earth did we not get a Desert looking Duke or a PP scarlet ? it could have been done. But we got some really weird ones in ROC, like the strange Grandslam or Night adder. Even some of the ones I really liked didn't seem to come from the movie at all. I just can't always follow their logic.

• Like 1

Here's what you ladies need to remember:

ANY FIGURE THE CLUB PRODUCES IS A FIGURE THAT HASBRO HAS TOLD THEM (OR BY PERMITTING THEM TO MAKE) THEY HAVE NO PLANS TO MAKE THEMSELVES.

So, it's this - Dialtone with the Club or NO DIALTONE.

You "25th Anniversary!!!" champions who hate anything new should be thanking the club, since Hasbro won't have anything to do with this figure.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but think about it and know the situation before you complain.

Tom

You've hit on the greater question though and that is:

WHY DOES HASBRO HAVE NO INTENTION OF MAKING THESE FIGURES? Sorry, I just thought I'd shout too. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I'm not suggesting or even expecting that Hasbro goes back to a purely 25th aesthetic, but how can they act surprised by fan demand for Slaughter when he was asked about in nearly every QnA? Likewise, I'm sure they'll act surprised that some might be frustrated about Dial Tone being an exclusive as well despite his being asked for in numerous QnAs.

I understand that Hasbro is moving on with the whole Pursuit of Cobra look, but it's their universe/continuity. How hard is it to slip in a character per wave and continue the updates? Make up a back story. Isn't the current gal DT the original's daughter or something? Have a flashback of the original Dial Tone on the card back - I don't care. Would it really be that detrimental to the line to only put out a different Snake Eyes every other wave and do someone else instead?

Ah well, maybe it'll motivate me to get busy on my custom version.

Here's my guess at the main question:

Based on snippets said by Hasbro over the years, they have a core roster of characters they like to revisit over and over again,mostly because they sell.

That is the Snake-Eyes, Duke, Cobra Commander, Storm Shadow etc. group of characters--there's about 12-14 of them, iirc.

Hasbro has said they will ALWAYS make iterations, new or otherwise of these characters, because both consumers and retailers demand them--they sell--and they are the core of the GIJOE product concept as far as Hasbro is concerned. They will not change appreciably as time progresses.

The OTHER characters are used as needed, but who/what they are is not as set in stone as the others. Duke is still the leader, Snake-eyes is still the dark commando/ninja guy, CC is still the enemy leader etc--but characters like Dial-tone......they can be mucked about with.

To the point of even having a sex change.

Hasbro keeps a grip on the trademark/copyright of the name and BASIC concept of the character. The rest is mutable.

To that end, they probably truly do not have any plans for the figure for the next several years--as far as their plans have been forecast ahead.

Now, this is where the club comes in. With Hasbro having no plans to use the character (and presumably other characters), the Club is clearly being allowed to create this figure (via kitbashing parts) and presumably will be allowed to create other secondary/minor characters later on.

I'm thinking the Bullhorn/Rampart, Topside, Lightfoot variety of characters are likely or possible here.

Its doubtful that Hasbro will revisit such characters any time soon, because......hey, just how many voices out there are clamouring for a Topside figure? ( We get Icestorm or Kickstart instead, oy!)

In a way, letting the club make the character still keeps the trademark active for Hasbro so it helps them keep the mark active, but since the club is a licensee they bear the cost and the risk.

( We get Icestorm or Kickstart instead, oy!)

And i think the reason we got those particular names is they want to keep trademarks for transformer names, right? I recall hearing something to that effect. That's also the reason Joe's shockwave is now shockblast but Tf's shockwave is back to the correct name. Now they get to keep TMing both names!

• Like 1

We all keep buying these core characters over and over and over again, because it's been instilled in our brains that if we don't ("support the line") it will all be cancelled. So now that we've all purchased every multiple version of about 5 core characters all these years, in hopes to keep the line alive (supported) long enough to get that rare, often ignored, but much loved and desired cool character, we've created the impression that the core characters are the most popular, because no matter how many versions they put out, we always buy them?

Seems we might have screwed ourselves? @haha@

• Like 2

( We get Icestorm or Kickstart instead, oy!)

And i think the reason we got those particular names is they want to keep trademarks for transformer names, right? I recall hearing something to that effect. That's also the reason Joe's shockwave is now shockblast but Tf's shockwave is back to the correct name. Now they get to keep TMing both names!

Yep, I think a lot of it has to do with keeping trademarks active, but also abiding by retailer requests. They have a part to play in this, from what I understand. There's probably really only so many new and old characters they want to handle in a given period of time, so some get dropped over others. I guess the club is in the position to pick up the "dropped" ones.

We all keep buying these core characters over and over and over again, because it's been instilled in our brains that if we don't ("support the line") it will all be cancelled. So now that we've all purchased every multiple version of about 5 core characters all these years, in hopes to keep the line alive (supported) long enough to get that rare, often ignored, but much loved and desired cool character, we've created the impression that the core characters are the most popular, because no matter how many versions they put out, we always buy them?

You know Dan, it's funny - I'm usually one of those people who go "Another God Damned Duke?! Snake Eyes?? Seriously? Forget these guys." But you know what? I end up with almost all of them every time. I can't explain it! I don't think I ever consider 'will this put Hasbro out of business' or 'will this hurt the line' when I buy a figure... but there IS some overriding desire to "catch 'em all." Completism? Not having the figures I wanted as a baby? Who knows, all I know is there's a ROC Desert Ambush Duke, POC Duke (Jungle Attack) and soon to be POC Duke II (Missile System) in plain view in my room.

I don't know if I'm the problem, but I DO know I HAVE a problem. XD

Tom

PS - Hey Dake - sorry if the 'shouting' offended you, as evidenced by your rolling-eyes emoticon. I just get tired of the same "I'll wait for Hasbro's version"/"Why does the CLUB have to TAKE AWAY our CHANCE to own a popular figure!" It's just ungrateful, and it grates on me. So, I'm sorry if I grated on you. : )

• Like 1

You know Dan, it's funny - I'm usually one of those people who go "Another God Damned Duke?! Snake Eyes?? Seriously? Forget these guys." But you know what? I end up with almost all of them every time. I can't explain it! I don't think I ever consider 'will this put Hasbro out of business' or 'will this hurt the line' when I buy a figure... but there IS some overriding desire to "catch 'em all." Completism? Not having the figures I wanted as a baby? Who knows, all I know is there's a ROC Desert Ambush Duke, POC Duke (Jungle Attack) and soon to be POC Duke II (Missile System) in plain view in my room.

I don't know if I'm the problem, but I DO know I HAVE a problem. XD

Tom

You know, I don't really think too many of us buy these figures with the motive in our minds that it's really "supporting the line" but we buy them because we think they're cool. ^_^ As a matter of fact, I passed on many of the ROC figures and almost ALL the lame vehicles from it, but this POC stuff has all been very nice and I haven't passed on any of it.....Duke, Snake Eyes, Destro, Storm Shadow or even the repainted ROC CC.

I think the figure sells and not just the "character". That's probably just me, but with this new style, I think Hasbro could take a few more chances on adding more obscure characters.

• Like 1

That's the problem really. I know the reasons Hasbro gives - they just don't make much sense to me. I know they pay people to figure this sort of thing out for them, but I still can't understand how giving up one Snake Eyes slot to a Dial Tone for example, would cause the line to fail.

Now, I'll give them one thing and that is the current PoC line is almost entirely all-new sculpts. As such, they're investing a lot at the start of it. And yes if I'm honest, a 25th-styled Dial Tone would not really fit in with the current look at all.

But it still doesn't excuse the end of the 25th line when, as mentioned, we got numerous random repaints over some figures that could've been put together with simple kit-bashes.

PS - Hey Dake - sorry if the 'shouting' offended you, as evidenced by your rolling-eyes emoticon. I just get tired of the same "I'll wait for Hasbro's version"/"Why does the CLUB have to TAKE AWAY our CHANCE to own a popular figure!" It's just ungrateful, and it grates on me. So, I'm sorry if I grated on you. : )

Oh no - it didn't grate on me. The rolly eyes were meant more tongue-in-cheek. I actually agree with you on the whole, we in the fandom complain way too much. It's just there are a few situations, be it Slaughter, Dial Tone or even the old Classics Thundercracker Transformers drama from a few years ago where I actually sort of agree with the complaints.

On the whole I really love this line. That being said, I have to draw a cautious line at being "grateful" to Hasbro. After all, we are buying their product, not the other way around. We now know that we have a greater impact on sales than we were once lead to believe as Hasbro has admitted that they've felt the drop in sales directly attributable to not just moms and pops buying less, but us crazy collectors too.

I am grateful to the designers for all their hard work and I love having this line to collect, but in the end, I'm still the consumer and there's a certain right to some frustration from time to time. ;)

Oh no - it didn't grate on me. The rolly eyes were meant more tongue-in-cheek. I actually agree with you on the whole, we in the fandom complain way too much. It's just there are a few situations, be it Slaughter, Dial Tone or even the old Classics Thundercracker Transformers drama from a few years ago where I actually sort of agree with the complaints.

Oh! My bad, then! XD I don't spend alot of time on the forums anymore, and I admit in my old age I'm far less combative then I used to be - so I tend to try to make ammends if my fat mouth gets me in hot water, instead of just sticking with it because I don't want to look stupid heh!

On the whole I really love this line. That being said, I have to draw a cautious line at being "grateful" to Hasbro. After all, we are buying their product, not the other way around. We now know that we have a greater impact on sales than we were once lead to believe as Hasbro has admitted that they've felt the drop in sales directly attributable to not just moms and pops buying less, but us crazy collectors too.

One-hundred and ten percent! : ) But I should clarify on my part that I just meant being ungrateful towards the Club irked me.

Hasbro, well... if they found out Mighty Mugs GI Joes were more popular than the Modern Era GI Joes, it's all we'd get! XD They're unpredictable and aren't working 'for us'. But with the Club, I KNOW there is a thoughtful process that goes into choosing what we get as exclusives, so to hear people act like the Club robbed them of some GREAT OPPORTUNITY (every time) when in fact they're presenting them with the only chance they'll have to own the item or character in question... I mean, it's ##$%$#ed.

For those folks who go to the conventions and attend the Club panels, they'll know these people aren't Hasbro running dogs, just using whatever they can get willy-nilly. Hasbro has officially destroyed the bulk of their RAH molds - the only reason ANY were kept was because the Club asked for specific ones - by name in many cases, because the Chinese didn't know what they had.

I am grateful to the designers for all their hard work and I love having this line to collect, but in the end, I'm still the consumer and there's a certain right to some frustration from time to time. ;)

Don't get me wrong - I still haven't forgiven Hasbro for Duke arms and the CONSTANT use of Snow Job's body as ANYONE THEY PLEASE! Hah!

Tom

PS - For the record, if I didn't already OWN a Botcon Thundercracker, I'd probably be mad about that one, if only a liiittle! XD

You know, I don't really think too many of us buy these figures with the motive in our minds that it's really "supporting the line" but we buy them because we think they're cool. ^_^ I think the figure sells and not just the "character".

You're like a GI Joe Wiseman. XD

That makes perfect sense.

Tom

Tom, you make a great point that is worth repeating (for me at least).

I have no problem with and in fact congratulate the Club(s)trying to get the best toys they can get. I'm sure they'd love to do Zandar and Zarana too if Hasbro will let them and I will be no less irritated if they DO get them over Hasbro doing a mass release! :)

But yeah, it's not the club's fault. That's just plain good business!

You know, I don't really think too many of us buy these figures with the motive in our minds that it's really "supporting the line" but we buy them because we think they're cool. happy.gif I think the figure sells and not just the "character".

You're like a GI Joe Wiseman. XD

That makes perfect sense.

Tom

It's part of it. That's why i gave in a bout ROC PP se, and will buy the upcoming wave 4 SE. I already have several a like, but the mold, paint aps, accessories etc. looks so cool!

But it's not all of it. Hasbro could put that kind of design work into a new character and please us in 2 ways. Not always but sometimes. Like the ROC duke, it sales now, but I'd be way more intersted if he was muskrat and came with a boonie hat.

Like the ROC duke, it sales now, but I'd be way more intersted if he was muskrat and came with a boonie hat.

THANK YOU for a great idea!

I present:

LBC Pursuit of Cobra Muskrat!

muskratfull.jpg

I'm far from the first to suggest that one. But thanks for the picture! i'd actually stick witht he original head if it was me, but it's true that muskrat had brown hair. I think this is the first time i've seen someone post a pic of this idea.

I'm far from the first to suggest that one. But thanks for the picture! i'd actually stick witht he original head if it was me, but it's true that muskrat had brown hair. I think this is the first time i've seen someone post a pic of this idea.

That may be, but yours was the first time I'd read it. :) I tried the hat on the Duke head, but it didn't look quite right. Plus from looking at pics, Muskrat's hair was a reddish-brown so I thought this head worked well. The added bonus is now he'll be different from future Dukes too.

• 8 months later...

I just got my Dialtone. He looks like he has a sunburn. Bad painted skin tone.