25th Dial Tone; Collectors Club Exclusive

yojoebro82

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=16317

I'm going to make it known: I HATE exclusives. I have no interest in tripping over fellow collectors and/or scalpers to get my hands on one. I have no interest in going to ebay and paying through the nose for one. I have no interests hearing companies "answer" angry fan questions about availability.

That said, I hope this Dial Tone turns out nice and I hope everyone that wants one gets one! #US1#

I'm going to make it known: I HATE exclusives. I have no interest in tripping over fellow collectors and/or scalpers to get my hands on one. I have no interest in going to ebay and paying through the nose for one. I have no interests hearing companies "answer" angry fan questions about availability.

That said, I hope this Dial Tone turns out nice and I hope everyone that wants one gets one! #US1#

This is going to be the "free" club figure--just sign up for a paid membership and you get it. Probably would be one of the easiest exclusives to get.

• Like 1

I like Dial tone as a character and wouldn't mind having one, however I completely agree with you yojoebro82. I miss the days when you could go to either Toys R Us, Kay-Bee, Lionel Toys, Zayres, K-Mart, Sears or Woolworths and find whatever toy you were looking for. You were certain to find whatever toy/figure you wanted in at least one of those stores...sighs I miss the 80s.

This is going to be the "free" club figure--just sign up for a paid membership and you get it. Probably would be one of the easiest exclusives to get.

Well crap, if I'd have READ the article I could have saved mysef a mini-rant :)

After dealing with the Sgt. Slaughter fiasco...Dialtone doesn't even phase me.

• Like 3

Well crap, if I'd have READ the article I could have saved mysef a mini-rant :)

Aaaah, its easy to make that kind of mistake with so many exclusive items all over the place, and the usual thing being they are hard to get.

The thing about the Club exclusive is that if you sign up before the deadline, and choose the 4" exclusive(usually around the middle of March) then you get that exclusive. They make to the subscribers numbers, plus some extras.

• Like 1

So buying the club "freebie" Doesn't that make him 40 something dollars?

Well, that is the thing about the club.....you pay $40 for the newsletter and other club info, and the figure is free.

If you are okay with what the club publishes, then its a good deal.

If you are not a fan of the material, find it boring, inadequate, or what-have-you......then its a $40 figure and some extra paper that comes every month.

Not to toot the club's horn too loudly, or too much, but I do know they try to do something with the publication, and its always striving to improve the product.

In any case, this is a figure that is going to be accessible to ANYONE who wants it, albeit at the price the club offers for membership. You will not have to run the scalper/fellow collector gauntlet, worry about a retail chain near you carrying it, or the usual search hassles. Sign up for a paid membership and its yours.

• Like 1

Here's what you ladies need to remember:

ANY FIGURE THE CLUB PRODUCES IS A FIGURE THAT HASBRO HAS TOLD THEM (OR BY PERMITTING THEM TO MAKE) THEY HAVE NO PLANS TO MAKE THEMSELVES.

So, it's this - Dialtone with the Club or NO DIALTONE.

You "25th Anniversary!!!" champions who hate anything new should be thanking the club, since Hasbro won't have anything to do with this figure.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but think about it and know the situation before you complain.

Tom

So buying the club "freebie" Doesn't that make him 40 something dollars?

Well, that is the thing about the club.....you pay $40 for the newsletter and other club info, and the figure is free.

If you are okay with what the club publishes, then its a good deal.

If you are not a fan of the material, find it boring, inadequate, or what-have-you......then its a $40 figure and some extra paper that comes every month.

Not to toot the club's horn too loudly, or too much, but I do know they try to do something with the publication, and its always striving to improve the product.

In any case, this is a figure that is going to be accessible to ANYONE who wants it, albeit at the price the club offers for membership. You will not have to run the scalper/fellow collector gauntlet, worry about a retail chain near you carrying it, or the usual search hassles. Sign up for a paid membership and its yours.

I don't consider myself a "hater" when it comes to the club. I just assign a certain value to a small plastic army man. That value is well below 40 $. I don't care to read Big Lob adventures either.

There is one more option. I'll make a custom that's total cost is much less. I've had the parts ready for ever but all my paints etc. are still in a box in ky. FOr those that can afford it etc. it's a good chance to save time on making one. Since it will have a new head and be official, it will likely be better than most customs. I just don't see a reason to pay the amount on figure i could buy a 100 hour game with (like elder scrolls four , or 2/3rds of call of Duty black ops) It is a very poor value.

ANY FIGURE THE CLUB PRODUCES IS A FIGURE THAT HASBRO HAS TOLD THEM (OR BY PERMITTING THEM TO MAKE) THEY HAVE NO PLANS TO MAKE THEMSELVES.

You "25th Anniversary!!!" champions who hate anything new should be thanking the club, since Hasbro won't have anything to do with this figure.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but think about it and know the situation before you complain.

Tom

Yep, the ugly truth about it. In a way, the club is the last chance for some of this stuff: the Adventure Team, certain RAH characters & vehicles(in any form), and some foreign characters. The club DOES listen to what the fans/members want. The secret to getting what you want from the club is to make it easy for them.

Hasbro is going to always look at the mass-market when deciding what kinds of characters or vehicles they want to do, but the club can do the more esoteric stuff.

Want another MASK member in Joe-form? The club could probably do that kind of thing, within reason.

The reality is: think of the club as a bigger "kitbash" service--putting together a figure you probably could put together yourself, but with maybe a custom head of part, and probably better paint apps.

The subtle difference is that because of the club's affiliation with Hasbro, their Joe stuff is official-its "canon". That means that Dial-Tone is "officially" one of the 25th Ann. items--which might be the selling point for some folks.

• Like 1

I don't consider myself a "hater" when it comes to the club. I just assign a certain value to a small plastic army man. That value is well below 40 $. I don't care to read Big Lob adventures either.

And that's fine. Its the nature of an exclusive offering, its not going to be for everyone ( in some fashion or another)

There is one more option. I'll make a custom that's total cost is much less. I've had the parts ready for ever but all my paints etc. are still in a box in ky. FOr those that can afford it etc. it's a good chance to save time on making one. Since it will have a new head and be official, it will likely be better than most customs. I just don't see a reason to pay the amount on figure i could buy a 100 hour game with (like elder scrolls four , or 2/3rds of call of Duty black ops) It is a very poor value.

Value is relative AND subjective though. Its your call.

Most club items you can kitbash yourself, albeit maybe less one or two parts. If you can cast parts, or rework them and paint well, then what the club usually offers is something you could churn out in a weekend.

And you save the cost of the membership.

If that small labour is not for you though, then the value of the club starts to increase.

For me, getting a figure like Dial-tone, with a stand with a properly embossed code-name on it, and properly applied factory paint, accessories and file card for $40 (actually around $80 for a CDN subscription--ouch!) and a years worth of monthly newsletters/club reading material........yea, its about worth it to me. Especially if a character like Dial-tone ( who I think is kind of cool) is on my want-list.

But like Tom said.....if the club is offering it, Hasbro is NOT interested in doing the character for the foreseeable future--this might be the only chance buying one, outside of making it yourself, or having one made.

• Like 2

Or the people that aren't Club members could wait that it goes on sale on the site and ask a fellow member to get one for them for around $20.

It just looks like people like to complain about almost everything these days. I'm just happy to get a Dail-tone on a 25th card.

EM

I've been on the fence for a while now with joining the club.....The Dial-Tone just might get me to fork over my money. I really like the idea of being able to "complete" a Joe line. This is a reason I was so mad over the Slaughter fiasco. But I always liked Dial-Tone.....I'm probably going to wait until I see some pictures before I make my final decision.

I tell ya what though.....he better come with his signature backpack. #US1#

Tom

What about those champions of whatever just got cancelled that just hate everything, is it still cool for us to complain...twak.gif

Right now just about every one of the past several year's membership figures are for sale at $15. That's not too bad.

but aren't those all older style? Which would be why they have depreciated, nobody wants "new" sculpted things, they want the "25th" style.

After dealing with the Sgt. Slaughter fiasco...Dialtone doesn't even phase me.

This had me laughing out loud. XD

The SDCC Slaughter crowd are like Viet Nam vets... nothing can shake us after that.

Tom

@haha@ The Chuck Norris's of G.I.Joe Collectors?

btw...I have something for you. X2 ;)

• Like 3

What about those champions of whatever just got cancelled that just hate everything, is it still cool for us to complain...twak.gif

You mean like the Wave 14 Red Star and Scrap Iron? Or the Nano-BAT? I guess it's okay to complain about those... I mean, if you HAVE to complain? XD

And Dan! That's AWESOME! I'll send you a message on ye ole' Facebooke tonight after my class is over! : )

Tom

You mean like the Wave 14 Red Star and Scrap Iron? Or the Nano-BAT? I guess it's okay to complain about those... I mean, if you HAVE to complain? XD

And Dan! That's AWESOME! I'll send you a message on ye ole' Facebooke tonight after my class is over! : )

Tom

No no, you know the rule around here. We arent allowed to actually complain about somthing that makes sense. I mean come on man, youve been a member long enough to know the rules....lol