Anyone know about old Tonka's?

Praxus2007

My friends Mom gave me two old Tonka trucks to find out what they might be worth, but knowing absolutely nothing about them, and finding zilch on the net, I figured I'd try asking here.

The one is a Tonka Trencher, no id# other than an imprint of "Pat Pend" on the scoop's arm, and it says "Mound, Minn" on the Tonka logo.

The second one is a Tonka Shovel Truck. It has 52900 pressed on the bottom, and has rx-101 on the tires. One site says it's from 76-77, but no other info on it. And when I search those numbers I come up with a forklift, not a shovel truck.

Any info would be appreciated....

• 11 months later...

Like most collectibles, these are only worth what you can get someone to give you for them. In pristine condition, there still isn't much of a market for them. These things were made in HUGE numbers, and nearly every kid from the late 70's to early 80's had them. I personally had four different ones. They are tough to find in good condition because they took a ton of abuse. I remember riding mine down the sidewalk. That's when toys were toys, and Tonka Tough actually meant something. You can usually find small lots of these on eBay in various condition selling for fairly low values. Were I to try and sell one, I would seek out someone that was a collector looking for the exact ones that I had. Even then, the condition is always going to be a big concern. These things were metal, which any time there was a paint chip meant there would be rust. These were also often times left in sandboxes or outside on the porch exposed to the elements. The typical yellow paint has a tendancy to fade after long term exposure to the sun. And the metal axels and hubs that kept the wheels on rusted usually after the first time being rained on.

Bottom line, if you have one in great condition, you are best off trying to find a collector looking for what you have. Otherwise, you're probably looking at a yard sale toy, unfortunately.

• 7 months later...

and nearly every kid from the late 70's to early 80's had them. .

You got that right.. I had 2 in the 79'...