My thoughts on the "New" Trilogy

ExultedUnicron

I was in TRU this week, looking over the new figures they had in. I picked up some of the 2010 ESB figures and some 2010 Saga legends figures. But as I was looking over them, these kids came over and like usual, started picking up and going crazy for the Clone Wars animated figures and the remnants of the Legacy Collection and 30th Figures that were prequel trilogy or clone wars related.

One of them moved closer to me and picked up the 2010 Saga Legends Hoth Han figure and looked confused. He turned to his buiddies and said "who in the blue hell is Han Solo? I've never hjeard of him" One of his buddies piped up "dunno who he is either. I don't ever remember seeing him in episode 3 or the clone wars toon"

I felt so disheartened. It also proved to me that thanks to Lucas ramming the prequel trilogy and the Clone Wars down our throats, he's consigning the OT and OT EU to the history books.

No, its just once again the populist individual conceit at work -- the egocentric belief that history begins when we are born.

Kids will tend to only associate with what THEY can emotionally relate to.

If they have not experienced it, it tends to either not exist at all, or it falls by the wayside.

If they remain Star Wars fans they will tend to discover, and likely appreciate, all of the older characters from the OT in due time.

They just haven't been exposed to the origional trilogy yet

Or else they HAVE been and they're just not flashy or special effects-filled enough to hold their attention. I mean, let's face it, my favorite SW--the Empire Strikes Back--dares to go long stretches of time with just Luke and Yoda talking in the jungle. I mean...there was an actual STORY and characterization going on and everything! Not a green screen in sight!

My friend's 6 and 8 year olds were over and I asked if they wanted to play Lego Star Wars or Lego Star Wars II, they went for the first one (based on the prequils) because they didn't KNOW any of the characters in LSWII.

In one of the classes I substitute taught at, I gave a fun little trivia question to 4th graders, "Which Star Wars character is on the t-shirt that Mr. Sattler is wearing under his teacher shirt?" I did multiple choice and made the mistake of putting Lando Calrissian as one of the choices. No one knew who that was :)

That's just how it is with kids today. It's too bad, but I don't think it's anyone's fault. To a lot of them, the OT are just some old movies.

This is Lucas's fault by not wanting to do ant stoires about the origional trilogy

I actually think there's something to be said for stories that have a begining, middle, and end like the OT does. I don't really WANT to see them try to shoehorn in any more new stories in with those characters. I don't care if the kids don't know who Lando is.

Wow unless your parent is like us these kids won't have no idea about the origionals.

This is Lucas's fault by not wanting to do ant stoires about the origional trilogy

I don't understand why you thin he should propagate those older characters so much? They are still there for anyone to discover them as they wish.

I mean, if one needs to find "fault" with George Lucas for not pushing the OT, then why not find fault with the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate for not pushing Tarzan?

Kids will discover these stories and characters in their own way and in their own time--and they will become relevant (or not) to them accordingly.

This is what the problem with Star Trek had/has...........kids simply do not give a crap about Star Trek. The new movie didn't make a dent in kid interest on the property, and the toys were serious shelf-glue as a result.

Star Wars keeps itself relevant by keeping SOME stories in the public eye. Clone Wars is the current story arc they are following, and so kids step on at that point. If they get into it enough, they'll discover a couple of decades worth of other stories and parts to the Star Wars Universe that they can explore and have fun with. But like many folks, they'll tend to stick by only what they know.

If you want proof of that.......try selling a RAH GIJOE fan on the 12" Vintage military Joes and Adventure Team stuff that came out before.

You'll get a loud chorus of dissension because the older stuff is "not their GIJOE".

To kids today, the OT is not "their Star Wars".

Wow unless your parent is like us these kids won't have no idea about the origionals.

I don't understand why you thin he should propagate those older characters so much? They are still there for anyone to discover them as they wish.

I mean, if one needs to find "fault" with George Lucas for not pushing the OT, then why not find fault with the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate for not pushing Tarzan?

Kids will discover these stories and characters in their own way and in their own time--and they will become relevant (or not) to them accordingly.

This is what the problem with Star Trek had/has...........kids simply do not give a crap about Star Trek. The new movie didn't make a dent in kid interest on the property, and the toys were serious shelf-glue as a result.

Star Wars keeps itself relevant by keeping SOME stories in the public eye. Clone Wars is the current story arc they are following, and so kids step on at that point. If they get into it enough, they'll discover a couple of decades worth of other stories and parts to the Star Wars Universe that they can explore and have fun with. But like many folks, they'll tend to stick by only what they know.

If you want proof of that.......try selling a RAH GIJOE fan on the 12" Vintage military Joes and Adventure Team stuff that came out before.

You'll get a loud chorus of dissension because the older stuff is "not their GIJOE".

To kids today, the OT is not "their Star Wars".

Their Star Wars or not when the don't know who Han solo is it disturbing

Plus Star Trek shot itself in the foot they talk ,talk ,talk, when these kids are used to video games were you blow things up

i dont bash the new trilogy because its starwars, in a different way,the same way the old republic starwars is, different and in a different era. i LOVE the clonewars tv series, hell i love those clones! the new stuff just completes the original. sure it ain't perfect but man did episode 3 really set things in place.

anyways. if i had a kid he or she will watch the original three, before the new, and than the clone wars series.

i embrace all things starwars.

this review says it all:

Episode 1:

Episode 2:

If I were to critique that guy's critique I would say he spends way too much time trying to go off track with his own "humor" (the girl in the basement) and he could have easily trimed down his reviews to one part instead of 7.

That said, his actual comments on the movies themselves were hilarious and he was spot-on in pointing out the MANY flaws. It actually made me want to purge anything prequil related from my collection. Everything he said about the movies were--unfortunately--true.

anyways. if i had a kid he or she will watch the original three, before the new, and than the clone wars series.

i embrace all things starwars.

I have a five year old son. And he knows the Original Trilogy as well as the Prequels. And he watch the Clone Wars series every week. He's on a big Boba Fett kick currently, but generally sticks to armored type character. They are, after all, the coolest aesthetically.