HOW and WHEN Should STAR TREK Return to Television?

I AM SCI-FI

HOW:

As an anthology series.

Every two episodes would revolve around a different ship/station and crew. The ships/station crews can be from any era during any pre-existing STAR TREK series. From Starfleet ships to Klingon ships to Romulan to Vulcan to Borg to etc. There can even be 1-2 two parters each season devoted to any of the pre-existing franchises.

A couple of seasons could play out like:

SEASON 1

Ep. 1; Random Era & Starfleet Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 2; Random Era & Starfleet Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 3; Random Era & Klingon Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 4; Random Era & Klingon Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 5; Random Era & Vulcan Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 6; Random Era & Vulcan Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 7; TOS Era & ENT-(pre)/A Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 8; TOS Era & ENT-(pre)A Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 9; Random Era & Romulan Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 10; Random Era & Romulan Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 11; Random Era & Dominion Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 12; Random Era & Dominion Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 13; Random Era & Orion Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 14; Random Era & Orion Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 15; Random Era & ENT-C Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 16; Random Era & ENT-C Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 17; Random Era & Gorn Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 18; Random Era & Gorn Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 19; Random Era & Andorian Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 20; Random Era & Andorian Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 21; Random Era & ENT-B Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 22; Random Era & ENT-B Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 23; Random Era & Borg Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 24; Random Era & Borg Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 25; TNG Era & ENT-D Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 26; TNG Era & ENT-D Ship/Crew: Part 2

SEASON 2

Ep. 1; Random Era & Starfleet Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 2; Random Era & Starfleet Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 3; Random Era & Klingon Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 4; Random Era & Klingon Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 5; Random Era & Vulcan Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 6; Random Era & Vulcan Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 7; Random Era & Breen Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 8; Random Era & Breen Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 9; Random Era & Reman Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 10; Random Era & Reman Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 11; DS9 Era & DS9 Station/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 12; DS9 Era & DS9 Station/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 13; Random Era & Selay Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 14; Random Era & Selay Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 15; Random Era & Starfleet Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 16; Random Era & Starfleet Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 17; Random Era & Hirogen Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 18; Random Era & Hirogen Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 19; Random Era & Species 8472 Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 20; Random Era & Species 8472 Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 21; Random Era & Section 31 Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 22; Random Era & Section 31 Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 23; Random Era & Borg Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 24; Random Era & Borg Ship/Crew: Part 2

Ep. 25; VOY Era & VOY Ship/Crew: Part 1

Ep. 26; VOY Era & VOY Ship/Crew: Part 2

WHEN:

ASAP

That would be interesting for us ST fans but on a practical level it would never work. The producers would have to at least TRY to make it appealing to the non-Trek fan (though that almost never seems to work out) and to do that they would have to give us a show with a consistant cast of characters...someone the audience can have a chance to identify with and care about over the course of a season. It looks like you're talking about giving us new characters every two episodes. On top of that, money wise, they would also have to build new sets for these alien ships and environments that would constantly be coming along. That would cost tons of money.

(sorry, I know this is just throwing ideas out there, not trying to crap on your ideas :) )

For a ST TV show I would want it to take place in the good old 24th century...maybe move us ahead to the 25th century by now, but keep it in the continuity that we've known for the past 40 years. I always wondered what a show about Captain Riker on the Titan would be like but the time to do that would have been right after Nemesis (which is now an 8 year old movie!) I think the best bet would be an all new crew, not tied to anyone we knew before. If the writing is smart and the characters are interesting, it would work.

OR, my OTHER idea.....

Make a show about Data. This would require the bold move of replacing Brent Spiner with a new, younger actor. No offence to Spiner, but he old, and Data doesn't age. Data being ageless and his friends growing older around him was something that was hinted at here and there during TNG but now you could really get a chance to explore that. Also, you could make him captain of the Enterprise E and give that set constant exposure on TV. If you wanted you could have Spiner as a recurring guest star in the form of a holographic projection of Noonian Soon (or something) giving Data info and advice every now and then...kinda like Jor-El to Superman.

The best bet for Star Trek on TV would be an animated series similar in approach to Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The movies of JJ Abrahams should be the only live action Star Trek for at least the next few years. With a good animated show actor age is irrellevant. So is set design and speacial effects budget. There would be no timeline restrictions either so any of the crews in any of the time periods of the history of Star Trek would be fair game! Realistically animated characters in a Star Trek show would be awesome. Good examples are- The Clone Wars, Beowulf, The Final Fantasy movie, Pixar Movies. Some of these may be more cartoony than others, but I think Star Trek would be really popular as an animated series and being an animated series would really help to get more product out there too.

Ds9 part 2 :)

But seriously that time has come and gone, but maybe ,just maybe not Titan's time... or at least not Riker's. Maybe Riker could head back to the Enterprise w/ Data/B4 ina new body (to accomedate that he was two merged individuals, he changes his body/actor) and an almost completly new crew.

I'm picky, i loved TNG and Ds9 imo is the best of Trek and one of my fav shows of all time. But voyager was only so-so, and i didn't like enterprise. I'd want this to be in the "old" continuity. But it could be vague, because whatever changes the timeline switch caused had already occured. (spock is gone, vulan we know is really new vulcan etc.)

• Like 1

I'd like to see a show that explores the future right when Spock and Nero left before the timeline was altered maybe show how the destruction of Romulus affected the surviving Romulans and Remans and how the universe felt during the Blackhole's existence and also a bit of a prequel of what happened before the Blackhole arrived like what happened to Starfleet. maybe show a civil war between Romulans or something

Myself, I would place it between ENT and TOS. I would only want minimal "design retconning" from ENT to be present, though (meaning where we see more spherical primary hulls than the convex saucer sections that were supposed to be the next evolution in Starfleet vessel design for that time, but with the Pasteur being present in "All Good Things", I guess that point is moot and it is what it is).

I don't know if I really want to see the "Clavicle" or "Cabbage" type Romulan ships, though. :rolleyes::P

I'd like the look to be somewhere between ENT and TOS as well as some design element nods to "The Cage". Maybe the ENT-styled jumpsuits in tan and grey to resemble the outfits in "The Cage" as well as "Where No Man Has Gone Before", and details like that, just to show off the evolution from the midway point between the other two series, rather than to dismiss some elements the way I felt it was sometimes done on ENT. (This is just my personal opinion.)

As far as story, I think that the tensions between Earth/Federation and the Romulans, and then leading to the first Romulan War should end up being the more forward-present theme as the Dominion War became for DS9, with a good Romulan villain as the foil, something akin to Gul Dukat's machinations during the entire DS9 series. As the U.S. is still at war, it would be a good commentary opportunity as is the tradition of Star Trek.

I know, it sounds like I want an amalgam rehash of DS9 and TOS with different furniture, but this is the 'Trek' era I most want to see.

As far as what the name should be, I have no idea. Something with the word "Frontier" would be cool.

(Not to dismiss anything from the Abrams movie, but I haven't seen it yet, so I can't take any suggestions from there, not yet anyway.)

As far as story, I think that the tensions between Earth/Federation and the Romulans, and then leading to the first Romulan War

The first war with the Romulans take place before the Federation was founded.

It took place a few years before the final episode of Enterprise was set.

Ds9 part 2 :)

But seriously that time has come and gone, but maybe ,just maybe not Titan's time... or at least not Riker's. Maybe Riker could head back to the Enterprise w/ Data/B4 ina new body (to accomedate that he was two merged individuals, he changes his body/actor) and an almost completly new crew.

I'm picky, i loved TNG and Ds9 imo is the best of Trek and one of my fav shows of all time. But voyager was only so-so, and i didn't like enterprise. I'd want this to be in the "old" continuity. But it could be vague, because whatever changes the timeline switch caused had already occured. (spock is gone, vulan we know is really new vulcan etc.)

Hell I'd watch one with riker in charge & a b4 ... That would be complete awesome :) I think anything labeled "trek" Wouldn't be startrek as we know it it would be something totally different really ...

Also ds9 2 @loll@ :wub:

I was thinking something like from enterprise the time ship relativity or some such... Time travel based trek adventures ?! :o Most likely would not work though ...

As far as story, I think that the tensions between Earth/Federation and the Romulans, and then leading to the first Romulan War

The first war with the Romulans take place before the Federation was founded.

It took place a few years before the final episode of Enterprise was set.

It did? Really? :o

Well #WTF#

Where was this mentioned? I would think that I would've caught that little nugget of info. :blink:

In this case, I would go with the tensions spanning from THAT war to the "Balance of Terror" episode as a Cold War premise. A posturing pointy-eared 'Dukat' would still work. ;)

Too bad Andreas Katsulas is gone. He was great as Tomalak, and would've worked great here.

It did? Really? :o

Well #WTF#

Where was this mentioned? I would think that I would've caught that little nugget of info. :blink:

It was mentioned several times in different series.

The first mention would be from Spock calling it the "Earth/Romulan war".

Other mentions come from different episodes of TNG.

How can it be a war when earth only has two ships ?.. Not counting all the cargo & transport stufff...

OMG your not going with "Enterprise" History are you?

In TOS the Federation and the Romulans had a war.Plus I have it in my now antique Trek Encyclepedia

How can it be a war when earth only has two ships ?.. Not counting all the cargo & transport stufff...

OMG your not going with "Enterprise" History are you?

In TOS the Federation and the Romulans had a war.Plus I have it in my now antique Trek Encyclepedia

Correction....Earth and the Romulans had a war, the Federation wasnt founded till after the Earth/Romulan war.

And may I ask......what do you find wrong with "Enterprise"'s history?

In "Enterprise", Earth and the Romulans indeed had a war. It's mentioned at least once in the series other than the series finale (the episode when Archer is sent in the future).

I really liked Enterprise and would have liked to have seen some of the stories develop... including the Romulan war. The only thing I didn't like is that it was on UPN (which is not carried on my cable service, but it was shown 2 weeks later on my local NBC station at midnight on Saturdays)and I thought that the series finale was not done very well and it showed very little respect to the cast and crew of "Enterprise". Oh, and the theme song stunk.

Below is a concept of what might have been in "Enterprise"... a new secondary hull that would have brought the imagery closer to the original series. It was in the works for the fifth season before the series was canceled.

post-14487-12835764334728_thumb.jpg

As for future a future series... I don't know what I'd like to see. I'm not really a fan of the JJ Abrams movie, but with its popularity it would seem like a good time for Paramount to launch another series. Even though DS9 was a great show, I think I'd like to see another show about a starship.

In "Enterprise", Earth and the Romulans indeed had a war. It's mentioned at least once in the series other than the series finale (the episode when Archer is sent in the future).

I really liked Enterprise and would have liked to have seen some of the stories develop... including the Romulan war. The only thing I didn't like is that it was on UPN (which is not carried on my cable service, but it was shown 2 weeks later on my local NBC station at midnight on Saturdays)and I thought that the series finale was not done very well and it showed very little respect to the cast and crew of "Enterprise". Oh, and the theme song stunk.

Below is a concept of what might have been in "Enterprise"... a new secondary hull that would have brought the imagery closer to the original series. It was in the works for the fifth season before the series was canceled.

As for future a future series... I don't know what I'd like to see. I'm not really a fan of the JJ Abrams movie, but with its popularity it would seem like a good time for Paramount to launch another series. Even though DS9 was a great show, I think I'd like to see another show about a starship.

I've seen that image before.....I believe it was proven to be fan made.

It was made by Doug Drexler and is included in the "Ships of the Line" 2011 calendar.

It was made by Doug Drexler and is included in the "Ships of the Line" 2011 calendar.

Maybe it was an other ship I'm thinking about.

There have been so many fan made ships.

The best bet for Star Trek on TV would be an animated series similar in approach to Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The movies of JJ Abrahams should be the only live action Star Trek for at least the next few years. With a good animated show actor age is irrellevant. So is set design and speacial effects budget. There would be no timeline restrictions either so any of the crews in any of the time periods of the history of Star Trek would be fair game! Realistically animated characters in a Star Trek show would be awesome. Good examples are- The Clone Wars, Beowulf, The Final Fantasy movie, Pixar Movies. Some of these may be more cartoony than others, but I think Star Trek would be really popular as an animated series and being an animated series would really help to get more product out there too.

Several years ago wasn't there plot summaries and a few pics for a potential clone wars type shorts based show? The lead characters were back in gold and it looked more "classic" but was actually further in the future?

I always wanted to see a show about the Klingons. Doing that would avoid a lot of the issues with continuity that seem to bug people. I mean, you still have issues, but less so, because this is a different corner of the galaxy. Animated would work, if live action was too expensive.