If you're still looking for the new POC Cobra Commander...

Devilbat

...take heart. I walked into my local Walmart yesterday, and to my suprise I found the pegs full of POC figures. I really couldn't afford them, but I found two particular ones that I absolutely could not pass up; I actually scored two Cobra Commanders!! That's why I say take heart...if I have scored a rare figure, then it's probably not rare. (lol) Seriously, there have been times in the past when I've scored something I think is extremely rare, and then it starts showing up everywhere...

I would like to know what the deal is with this figure. How rare is it? Is it packed only one or two per case? Is it indeed a bonafide chase figure? I just never score chase figures, let alone two at the same time at retail. The only other time something like this has happened to me is years ago when the Power of the Force 2 line came out and I accidentally scored the tan-vested Jedi Luke; I walked into a K-Mart I used to frequent between classes in college, and I found it. I promptly snagged it of course. At the time I was buying up any POTF2 figures I could find, and I hadn't heard of any "tan-vested" variant. Only later did I find out about it, from Toyfare Magazine I assume, or some related publication, and when I checked out the one I had, it indeed was a tan-vested specimine when I compared it to a second black-vested one that I had bought. I was all about buying doubles back then, which I still am to an extent now, when I can afford it, but anyway...

I absolutely love this figure. I don't care that it's simply a ROC Cobra Commander repainted with a new chrome mask, and I don't care that it's a shade of Darth Vader; I love the ROC version to begin with, and the new colors on the POC one just make it look even better. The mask reminds me of a cross between Destro and Ghost Rider. It's very wicked-looking and intimidating, and I love it for Cobra Commander. It is now my favorite Cobra Commander mask. I also love how it comes on a variant cardback; it almost reminds me of the vintage Takara cardbacks, but I love how it has "Cobra" emblazoned on it instead of "G.I. Joe". It's just a great variant figure and I'm thrilled beyond words that I actually found it. I had already accepted the fact that I wouldn't find one at retail, and that if I wanted one I was gonna have to pay a premium for one on eBay. I truly hope everyone that wants one finds one at retail, and if not, I hope they can find it for a reasonable price on the secondary market.

He is one per case. The fact he was suppose to be a chase and mail away too at one point has caused a lot of confsuion and I think scalpers are grabbing him for that very reason.

Draven

(lol) Okay...that's what I thought. But that's a good thing; it just means more people will be able to get them. I'm not necessarily one of those collectors that just has to have something that nobody else has. I mean, that would be kinda cool, but I'm more interested in just having simply what I like, not what's limited or super rare, although I understand collectors that make limited collectibles a priority.

See? I told you it wasn't rare if I could find it. (lol)

Well Hasbro had said it would be rare at Joecon, but at 1 per case he seems to be showing up pretty steadily. I saw 1 at TRU, 1 at Target and 2 at Wal-Mart today, so anyone buying these simply to try and resell at a higher price I think is in for some disappointment.

yeah he aint rare. just 1 to a case like some of the others. not a bad figure if you like the movie style cobra commander. the staff is all sorts of awesome. i wish they had the mail away going on. the little hiss drone that he came with was awesome.