Top 10 DC Graphic Novels/Trades

Dragon66

I know that this has probably been done before, but I haven't seen it in a while and wanted to get everyone's opinions. Basically, I am talking about DC proper, you know books featuring our favorite Superheroes such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, etc. Automatingly assuming the great works such as Watchmen, Sandman, and various other Vertigo type books can be looked at for great stories, I am saying that the books on this list have to include heroes that we grew up reading about. I would almost think of this list as the 10 books that you would recommend to someone who had never read anything by DC and needed the exposure to show them what DC is all about.

For me this list is very hard to whittle down to 10 books, because some of my favorite books are extended runs on various titles such as Goeff Johns initial run on the Flash and JSA and his continued great writing on Green Lantern, and James Robinson's Starman is one of my all-time favorite series, which I have the Starman:Omnibus Vol.1-4 and can't wait for Vol. 5. But I couldn't let myself put those four books on my top 10 list.

So here goes, if I had to recommend 10 books from DC, they would be:

The New Frontier, the Absolute Edition, by Darwyn Cooke-Great writing and art highlighting the Silver Age of DC

Batman: Year One, by Frank Miller and Dave Mazzuchelli-The orgin of Batman, pure and simple.

Batman: The Long Halloween, Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale-This was a toss up between this and Dark Victroy, but a great murder mystery.

The Golden Age, by James Robinson and Paul Smith-An intense story that focuses on the great heroes of DC'c Golden Age.

Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia, by Greg Rucka and JG Jones-Simply one of the best Wonder Woman stories ever.

Batman: Arkham Asylum, by Grant Morrison and Dave McKean-A wonderfully haunting insight into the Joker's Mind.

Justice, the Absolute Edition, by Jim Krueger, Alex Ross, and Doug Braithwaite-Good old Superfriends inspired fun.

Identity Crisis, by Brad Meltzer and Rags Morales-A murder mystery with great characterizations.

Kingdom Come, by Mark Waid and Alex Ross-Beautiful Art and Great Story.

All-Star Superman, the Absolute Edition, by Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly-Again a toss up beteen this and JLA:Earth 2, but this won based on being the best Superman story in years.

Let's hear your opinions on what DC GN's or TPB's that you would recommend.

does vertigo count?