Anyone else sick of seeing G.I. Joe have to start from scratch again?

DRACOREX

I have to say I was not inmpressed with the Renegades teaser trailer and not blown away by the character sketches. I think Hawk deserves better that what they did to him. I do kind of like Baroness' hair being short. What really bothers me is that the basic start over/reboot. Seems to me G.I. Joe is not something you have to keep explaining the origin of. You can just jump in the middle and go with it. Then again, I am probably the only person who hated Resolute and got sick of it in the middle the thing.

Well somewhere along the line companies (esspecially Hasbro) got in their heads that a brand need to be reinveted/reintroduced/rebooted every couple of years. I'm not sure why. It could just be sales, it could be that they think that no one what to collect something unless they're there from the beginning or they're trying to reach a new bunch of kids every couple year. But most toys brands do it (TF, Different Spider-man cartoons, TMNT, etc).

Sales of action figure toys are not as strong as they use to be in the 80's. It's been a constant guessing game as to why and how to bring it back up in popularity. The quickest and easiest excuse is always to claim that kids don't like their "Daddy's" kind of (insert item of choice here) so they address that, and keep trying to change everything a little bit, and then the next obstacle they have to hurdle, is now that they've made the claim that G.I.Joe isn't your daddies G.I.Joe, just whose G.I.Joe is it, and what makes it better than daddies?

Artsy fartsy, over stylized appearances and characters full of sh!tty attitude seems to be what's "cool" these days? If they keep changing up things though, you have to wonder if that's true or not? Maybe Daddy's isn't so bad after all, except to those kids that hate their dads? Is that who Hasbro is trying to pander to? The generation of angst riddled young'ins? :(

• Like 2

Why rehash the same thing over and over again? Its boring, and staid. Nostalgia not withstanding here, constant reinvention/rebooting keeps trademarks fresh and properties vital and topical.

If you look at the original GIJOE cartoon, Hawk, Duke and Flint were pretty much interchangeable. This new take on Hawk, for one, gives the character a chance to stand apart and be different. A general with a eye-patch and a cane is going to act, and sound, quite a bit different than a young strapping fully-able sergeant, and there's the reason for making the change.

GIJOE never had an origin in the cartoons--its never been explained, outside of Sgt. Savage or GIJOE Extreme--and those are considered apart from GIJOE.

• Like 1

Why rehash the same thing over and over again? Its boring, and staid. Nostalgia not withstanding here, constant reinvention/rebooting keeps trademarks fresh and properties vital and topical.

If you look at the original GIJOE cartoon, Hawk, Duke and Flint were pretty much interchangeable. This new take on Hawk, for one, gives the character a chance to stand apart and be different. A general with a eye-patch and a cane is going to act, and sound, quite a bit different than a young strapping fully-able sergeant, and there's the reason for making the change.

GIJOE never had an origin in the cartoons--its never been explained, outside of Sgt. Savage or GIJOE Extreme--and those are considered apart from GIJOE.

This might all make good sense if it weren't for the fact that they can't seem to get a good hold on the "kids" attention for it? We can either assume they're changing it all the time, because it is successful and they want to "keep it fresh" for them, or that it's not grabbing hold just yet and they're trying something that will....constantly? :(

They say "this isn't your Daddy's G.I.Joe" what they should be saying is..."This IS your Daddy's G.I.Joe, but how Daddy wants it to be now that he's all grown up".

Viewing some of the recent examples of the attempts (failures) to take a popular story and do PREquels or "origins" for it, we'd have to figure that it's not exactly a proven successful formula for breathing new life into a property?

• Like 1

I have to say I was not inmpressed with the Renegades teaser trailer and not blown away by the character sketches. I think Hawk deserves better that what they did to him. I do kind of like Baroness' hair being short. What really bothers me is that the basic start over/reboot. Seems to me G.I. Joe is not something you have to keep explaining the origin of. You can just jump in the middle and go with it. Then again, I am probably the only person who hated Resolute and got sick of it in the middle the thing.

Nope I didn't like it either.

On one hand i understand it, on the other i simply don't. As a kid i never saw an origin for G.I.Joe or cobra. The 90's batman or spiderman toons didn't start with origins, and many villians were pre-established before you even stepped into the universe. But i know there must be some clues to let a fan come in and be absorbed. I really don't like the constant contradictions etc though. Transformers is much worse. Trying to figure out their origins gives me migranes. I hope Joe doesn't get that bad.

That being said, if we are going to do , why not plan a head this time? Plant seeds, and tell a long story, try to make a universe that can stay cohesive for 10 years.

I also see no reason to change some of the things they are changing. Why does Abernathy need an eye patch? Why does scarlet need to be recruiting them? Stay true to the Lore for that.

personally I want a sequel instead of a reboot series

I agree. I would much rather see a continuation of the original series with some updates of course. As far as an origin, they may have never really had one but I do not see the point of having them rounded up and just put on a team. I have always liked the fact that the Joes were the best in their respective fields and were battle hardened. Much of what sucks to me today is this incessant need to "youthanize" every character, especially just to appeal to a younger audience. As a kid I had no problem that I was watching a team of people in their thirties. The first X-Men cartoon was awesome and then we got that crap X-Men: Evolution. Just my opinion but when you have something that has stood the test of time then it is not broke and there is no need to fix it.

Larry Hama gave us all we ever really needed to know about these guys, and that left the door of our own imaginations open a bit, to fill in the voids as we wanted to.

Now it's going to be more solidified and shoved in our heads, and it's going to be just one or two peoples imaginations dictating it to us. "How Duke got his scar"..??? Really? This is even treading on my youth with the original 12" Joes and how they all had the classic scar. Dukes scar was pretty much a homage to that, and now it's going to be explained once and forever to me?

What if he got it fighting with Snake Eyes over Scarlett or slipped in the bathtub, or the Baroness sucker knifed'em? <_<

Not so sure if I'm really wanting all these open avenues cutoff and permanently rerouted to a one way street? :(

• Like 1

man i think we all have had our fill of it. they need to go back to how the 80s did the figs. have new guys in the line up not the same old 5 guys in dif out fits. this sucks the 25th was the best thing to happen in joe in the last 5-10yrs. they had to drop it for roc with was a failure hasbro them selves said it. now we have poc witch is a filler line till the toon line hits. Res was the best update to the line as they could have done so much wit that line and made the toon last longer then it did. but roc killed that. now we have the new toon and it looks like crap. they look 12yrs and the animation sucks.

hasbro wont give us 2 lines cuse we dont have the fan backing for it. why is that cuse hasbro revamps the line every yr now. i think it is the higher ups at hasbro who do this. as the design team had some killer stuf that has not got a chance to get made. cuse the heads think they know best. also the change of the lead guys dont help like stall loved joe and did alot of good things for it. then they moved him to SW.

they could do so much more for the line but they wont do it. joe to them is just to make some extra cash. they dont put the "love" in the line like they do wit TF or SW. yes SW dose have an advantage as lucas controls what they do and dont do.

i know wit the price hike, the lack of a steady line for more then a yr now im getting sick of it. i hate SE,Duke,CC,SS& destro. i never did before but im burnt out on them now. i want some fresh faces in the line. like the new poc duke could of been muskrat instead of another duke. it is getting nuts how many of those 5 guys do we need.

it is getting nuts how many of those 5 guys do we need.

Every time they reboot, re-invent or restart...we have to get the same damn characters intially. Of course, in their defense, when they do create a new character or update an old one we haven't seen a version of in years, another segment of the community b!tch about that.

If they want to bust a few nuts within the fan community, they should just do 1985 over and over and over again, every single bit of it, from character to vehicle, and they'd win over the biggest chunk of them. That seems to be when ARAH reached it's climax and then slowly went downward?

• Like 2

What's with all of the negatives on this thread?

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of revamping something and completely changing it around to suit the "artistic vision" of the one guy that wants to make his/her mark on an established brand (J.J. Abrams, Michael Bay, J. Michael Straczynski/Jim Lee... I'm looking at you). Why does Hawk have to be a one-eyed, old general? What was so wrong with the original GI Joe story that made them want to throw out everything?

The only things that I find myself wanting to buy are the vehicles like the new Snowcat (or whatever they want to call it), the Vamp and I'll probably pick up the new Sky Hawk (again, whatever they want to call it) even though I don't like the lack of clear canopy. Most of the figures (with the exception of Low Light) are a big pass.

My fan club. ;)

• Like 1

it is getting nuts how many of those 5 guys do we need.

Every time they reboot, re-invent or restart...we have to get the same damn characters intially. Of course, in their defense, when they do create a new character or update an old one we haven't seen a version of in years, another segment of the community b!tch about that.

If they want to bust a few nuts within the fan community, they should just do 1985 over and over and over again, every single bit of it, from character to vehicle, and they'd win over the biggest chunk of them. That seems to be when ARAH reached it's climax and then slowly went downward?

ok they revamp it what kids even know about joe to know who is who anyway lol. oh nice one hahahahhahha

My fan club. ;)

So... they just follow you around now and give you knocks on your "reputation" even when you make points that a majority of collectors would agree about? I don't even know what that's trying to prove. You and I may differ on political opinions, but I agree with every point that you have made on this thread. Man, I know that I haven't been on this site a lot lately but it seems that things have gotten worse.

But back on subject, I just saw the new Spirit and Quick Kick figures and Toys R Us. They are kind of cool but the new figures seem to lack the personality of the 1980s GI Joe series. There's no way that Bazooka would wear a jersey. Not military enough! But quirky things like that is what made the series so great.

So... they just follow you around now and give you knocks on your "reputation" even when you make points that a majority of collectors would agree about? I don't even know what that's trying to prove. You and I may differ on political opinions, but I agree with every point that you have made on this thread. Man, I know that I haven't been on this site a lot lately but it seems that things have gotten worse.

They are doing it to me to, LOL.

All its really saying is that there's a small number of petty little people, who have us taking space rent-free in their heads.

I can tell you its not going to change what I write, and it actually amuses me that I can get their goat so easily.

• Like 2

As an adult collector I agree with a lot of the points you all have made here, but on the flip side of that why not wait till Renegades actually starts before deciding it's going to suck? Not to pick but it amazes me how now that 25th is done you hear so much praise for it and how people don't understand why Hasbro stopped making them, and yet I seem to recall when 25th was going how many of the same people sat there and said it sucked.

You know when I first saw the Resolute trailer I thought it looked great but then when the actual movie aired, I was pretty disappointed. The story seemed rushed and very weak and really wasn't to impressed. I looked at TFA and thought it looked silly at first and then sat down to start to watch it and it turned out to have fairly decent stories. I agree that Hasbro seems to have dropped the ball quit a few times with Joe in recent years but before we all build up in our heads Renegades is going to suck, maybe we should wait to actually watch an episode before condemning it and looking for reason not to like it cause its different??

I have to say I was not inmpressed with the Renegades teaser trailer and not blown away by the character sketches.

With the exception of one or two, the Renegades Joes looked like a bunch of skate board punks hanging out at the mall. Those designs really didn't thrill me.

As others have said, I get tired of these regular restarts too. First most of these restarts just haven't been particularly well designed. Aside from RAH and 25th Anniversary, POC is the only other line to really thrill me again ...which is quite a feat after ROC very nearly killed ALL interest for me. Secondly, again as others have said, every time there is a new re-launch they kick it off with a "definitive" Duke, Scarlett, about five definitive Snake Eyeses and a couple of Storm Shadows! Poor second and third stringers like Admiral Keel Haul, Footloose and Leatherneck never really have a chance!

Look at all these properties that get the constant rebooting: GI Joe, Transformers, Star Trek, Batman, Superman, Spider-Man....what do they have in common? They're all decades-old! As long as companies continue to use these properties as opposed to coming up with something new and interesting (ie NOT a pre-existing property from the 80s or before), I don't see how they have a choice NOT to reboot.

(And I've said it before, Star Wars too, will be rebooted soemday, you wait!)

As for Renegades, I haven't seen anything so far that leads me to believe it will suck. gotta give it a chance.

I would argue to a point that it has. The prequels, the orginal Clone Wars mini toons, the regular Clone Wars cartoon and the Special Editions of the original Trilogy have added just enough "new" idea's and characters, to me, to be as much a relaunch/reboot/reimagining as say Resolute was/is.

Look at all these properties that get the constant rebooting: GI Joe, Transformers, Star Trek, Batman, Superman, Spider-Man....what do they have in common? They're all decades-old! As long as companies continue to use these properties as opposed to coming up with something new and interesting (ie NOT a pre-existing property from the 80s or before), I don't see how they have a choice NOT to reboot.

As for Renegades, I haven't seen anything so far that leads me to believe it will suck. gotta give it a chance.

I actually think it will surprise a lot of people... I am looking forward to it...

How is it any different than say comics? or movies? I hate how with comics, a title has to start over at #1 like every year or so. Also I think you build up so much cannon it becomes very consticting to the people who work on them. Take Star Trek, I think rebooting it saved that franchise. In the end though I think these relaunches happen especially with toys because kids seem to have very short attention spans these days. I have watched my nieces grow up who are 3 and 5 and every time I see them they have moved on to something different that they like to play with. Used to be Dora The Explorer, then a few months later it s Princesses and then it was Barbie, and already the oldest is into Nintendo DS. I think these relaunches happen cause these companies are struggling with the fact that they are always having to reinvent these things to try and keep them new and fresh in kids minds. There is just so much out there these days for kids to focus on that keeping them tied into one thing for any real period of time seems almost impossible.

Sadly, most retools, re-vamps, retools, whatever you want to call them are ALL more fleeting nowadays than ever for a number of reasons...

1. They aren't very good. Unfortunately, writers today are not as creative and as original as they once were. They can't deliver a retooled concept that is anywhere as engaging as the original. Yes. There are Rare exceptions to this.

2. There's NO editorial control. Comics, movies, whatever all lack that guiding force who says, "Okay. Here's the existing concept. We're working within THESE parameters." It's a lot easier to toss away an existing concept and come up with whatever you want. Again, it's weak writing. "I can't write within the existing premise so let me turn the premise into something I can or feel like writing."

3. Writers are arrogant. "Everything that came before me sucks and is irrelevant. THIS will be the definitive version of this..." Of course the subsequent writer... who will be along in six months to a year... will be as arrogant as the current writer.

Sadly, most retools, re-vamps, retools, whatever you want to call them are ALL more fleeting nowadays than ever for a number of reasons...

1. They aren't very good. Unfortunately, writers today are not as creative and as original as they once were. They can't deliver a retooled concept that is anywhere as engaging as the original. Yes. There are Rare exceptions to this.

2. There's NO editorial control. Comics, movies, whatever all lack that guiding force who says, "Okay. Here's the existing concept. We're working within THESE parameters." It's a lot easier to toss away an existing concept and come up with whatever you want. Again, it's weak writing. "I can't write within the existing premise so let me turn the premise into something I can or feel like writing."

3. Writers are arrogant. "Everything that came before me sucks and is irrelevant. THIS will be the definitive version of this..." Of course the subsequent writer... who will be along in six months to a year... will be as arrogant as the current writer.

:rolleyes: <shakes head>

Oh and hey folks, but who do I see viewing this topic just a minute ago, and then magically I get a neg rep point: why its MasterJailer!! If you want to know who one of the petty little people on TNI are, look no further than he.

Why I betcha he can't wait to find all my posts and hit that little red button.

I'm beyond tickled to take up that much space in his head.

• Like 1