Marvel Legends Returns!!!

Nguyen_Dragon

I'm interested to see how they are going to approach this. Starting over as a line or just a continuation after this break in time?

To me, there is no starting over. No matter what they do going forward, those old 6" figures still exist, and are still influencing people's buying decisions. If they want to make a new 70's/80's Hulk, that figure probably won't sell super well, since there are so many people who are happy with their Face Off Hulk. They will have to focus on characters that were not done or were poorly done in the old line.

They can call it a reboot, or a relaunch, or they can call it Al if they want to, but any 6" line is a continuation, not something new.

Really, the closest thing to a relaunch has already been done. They went from the BAF format to the two-pack format. That was a pretty major decision. All they are really talking about now, as far as I can tell, is simply making some new 6" figures.

Oh God, please no more movie figures in Marvel Legends line make them separate like they did with Iron Man.

Agreed. It just doesn't go on the shelf with the rest of the collection. It's a collection all to itself.

While we're at it, I'd prefer to keep Ultimate stuff to an absolute minimum.

How about some Noir stuff? As much as I am focused on the 616 stuff, I would buy a Noir Spidey for sure, and IM as well. Noir IM and Spidey two pack? Sold!

I'm interested to see how they are going to approach this. Starting over as a line or just a continuation after this break in time?

To me, there is no starting over. No matter what they do going forward, those old 6" figures still exist, and are still influencing people's buying decisions. If they want to make a new 70's/80's Hulk, that figure probably won't sell super well, since there are so many people who are happy with their Face Off Hulk. They will have to focus on characters that were not done or were poorly done in the old line.

They can call it a reboot, or a relaunch, or they can call it Al if they want to, but any 6" line is a continuation, not something new.

Really, the closest thing to a relaunch has already been done. They went from the BAF format to the two-pack format. That was a pretty major decision. All they are really talking about now, as far as I can tell, is simply making some new 6" figures.

prepare to be disappointed. they already stated they would redo characters that have been done in 6".

prepare to be disappointed. they already stated they would redo characters that have been done in 6".

As a corporate entity, it makes sense for Hasbro to NOT discount any character just because Toybiz already made a crack at it. They have the license, they should be able to make the Hawkeyes and Cyclops and Nightcrawlers if they want to. Knowing Hasbro, I can see waves that are heavy on A-listers and have multiple Wolverines, Hulks, Spider-Mans and Iron Mans. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I've been collecting Legends (and the off-shoot "Classics" lines) since the beginning, so seeing yet another Wolverine figure doesn't excite me as much as the possibility of a more obscure as yet unreleased figure.

The optimist in me hopes they are doing serious research into wave breakdowns and looking at Mattel's DCUC as a template. DC anchors each wave with an A-lister and then spreads it around giving us one or two villains associated with the Anchor, maybe a supporting hero associated with the anchor, but then tossing in an obscure c- or d-lister, and a member of a smaller team. Let us complete Alpha Flight for example.

I'm fine with an A-list anchor in every wave. Even if its somebody we've seen a dozen times already. This might be some other collector's first Legends purchase and I certainly wouldn't to deprive them of a chance to own a Captain America or a Daredevil because they weren't collecting five years ago. But each wave doesn't need three or four rehashes of the main characters because Hasbro is afraid to take a chance on more obscure characters. Spread it out. We want to see more Inhumans, and Defenders, and New Warriors, and all the myriad X-Teams over the years. We want Iron Man villains. And Thor villains. And Cap villains. We want to EXPAND our current collection, not go back over our own footsteps. We don't want two versions of every character we already purchased. And I'm not saying they can't revisit every single Toybiz character at some point down the road, I'm saying if they really want collectors to get excited about the relaunch, offering a large variety of NEW figures is much more appealing. for the first few waves at least.

And for me, a good place to start would be to look at all the Marvel Universe figures they've made that don't have a Legend counterpart yet. Figures like Modern Luke Cage, Modern Iron Fist, the Wrecking Crew, 90s Jean Grey etc etc. They are aware these are fan faves because they already made them, so it would stand to reason Legends collectors would want them as well.

And if the Iron Man 6" news is any indication, I forsee them expanding on that and making Cap Classics, and Thor Classics as well to ride the excitement of the upcoming films. if they want to make film versions, thats fine, but its a perfect opportunity to give us some comic accurate characters at the same time. Cater to both sets of fans rather than betting on one or the other, and perhaps if its done correctly you can sell ALL the figures to more people.

As far as BAFs are concerned, I'm fine with not having them. And I'm fine with having them. Some people see it as a marketing ploy to get you to buy the whole wave. And it is, but I see it as a cool way to get yet another figure we might not otherwise get. And if they decide it's not feasible or its time has passed, I'm okay with that too because I'm just glad we're getting new Legends.

This is the point when they need to be listening to fans the most. Before they've commited to anything and all ideas are welcome.

• Like 1

As a corporate entity, it makes sense for Hasbro to NOT discount any character just because Toybiz already made a crack at it. They have the license, they should be able to make the Hawkeyes and Cyclops and Nightcrawlers if they want to.

Yeah, I saw that they plan to redo some characters, and that's fine. The ones you mention in particular could use a redo, so I welcome that.

The point I was trying to make was that this is nothing new. The upcoming Black Widow is a redo of a figure that Toybiz had done poorly. Deadpool is a redo, Nick Fury, classic Iron Man... the list goes on and on. So when people say "relaunch", I just don't know what they mean by that.

I guess the fact that CaptainTriumph asked the question means that there is a distinction in some people's minds, but there isn't one in mine. How would it be different if it's a "relaunch"? More emphasis on the A list characters? Marvel Legends has always featured at least one A-lister per wave.

I like the occasional marvel figure so this is good news, hope to see the following in 2012

Gladiator

Constrictor

Wrecking crew

Magneto

Original blue and yellow Xmen team

Those are all good choices, and I'd like to see those, too. The 12" Icons Magneto released in Marvel Legends scale would probably be ok. I just hope it's more than hype. From what I have read, it seems it will be a complete relaunch, which if so means yet another Spider-man, Hulk, Wolverine etc before any other characters are even considered. I hope they do this only if they've made an effort to deliver definitve versions, comparable to MOTUC. Paying attention to things such as Iron Man's waist should not look as small as a thin girl's while wearing armor, not making any more figures using that Bullseye/Banshee body, etc.

That is why I can't buy the Iron Man figures, he is so thin in his armor no less. I like the regular Iron Man design and could of used it as a definitive Iron Man but its total garbage to me. I will ignore any releases of Marvel's big three, I have enough versions the only sad one is the two pack Legends Hulk with the 1970's head doesn't have fists but I doubt they will re-release that one. Oh and for sure they need to retire that bogus thin male buck for Legends. The entire design from the terrible hands to the awful feet and the slight hunch in the back. Lastly they really need to get rid of those swivels in the chest area, seriously who likes that over waste articulation???? I really wish all the people who buy Hasblow stuff,....joes, marvel, etc would complain enough for them to change it, but no, your all so silent and the madness continues.

As a corporate entity, it makes sense for Hasbro to NOT discount any character just because Toybiz already made a crack at it. They have the license, they should be able to make the Hawkeyes and Cyclops and Nightcrawlers if they want to. Knowing Hasbro, I can see waves that are heavy on A-listers and have multiple Wolverines, Hulks, Spider-Mans and Iron Mans. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I've been collecting Legends (and the off-shoot "Classics" lines) since the beginning, so seeing yet another Wolverine figure doesn't excite me as much as the possibility of a more obscure as yet unreleased figure.

The optimist in me hopes they are doing serious research into wave breakdowns and looking at Mattel's DCUC as a template. DC anchors each wave with an A-lister and then spreads it around giving us one or two villains associated with the Anchor, maybe a supporting hero associated with the anchor, but then tossing in an obscure c- or d-lister, and a member of a smaller team. Let us complete Alpha Flight for example.

I'm fine with an A-list anchor in every wave. Even if its somebody we've seen a dozen times already. This might be some other collector's first Legends purchase and I certainly wouldn't to deprive them of a chance to own a Captain America or a Daredevil because they weren't collecting five years ago. But each wave doesn't need three or four rehashes of the main characters because Hasbro is afraid to take a chance on more obscure characters. Spread it out. We want to see more Inhumans, and Defenders, and New Warriors, and all the myriad X-Teams over the years. We want Iron Man villains. And Thor villains. And Cap villains. We want to EXPAND our current collection, not go back over our own footsteps. We don't want two versions of every character we already purchased. And I'm not saying they can't revisit every single Toybiz character at some point down the road, I'm saying if they really want collectors to get excited about the relaunch, offering a large variety of NEW figures is much more appealing. for the first few waves at least.

And for me, a good place to start would be to look at all the Marvel Universe figures they've made that don't have a Legend counterpart yet. Figures like Modern Luke Cage, Modern Iron Fist, the Wrecking Crew, 90s Jean Grey etc etc. They are aware these are fan faves because they already made them, so it would stand to reason Legends collectors would want them as well.

And if the Iron Man 6" news is any indication, I forsee them expanding on that and making Cap Classics, and Thor Classics as well to ride the excitement of the upcoming films. if they want to make film versions, thats fine, but its a perfect opportunity to give us some comic accurate characters at the same time. Cater to both sets of fans rather than betting on one or the other, and perhaps if its done correctly you can sell ALL the figures to more people.

As far as BAFs are concerned, I'm fine with not having them. And I'm fine with having them. Some people see it as a marketing ploy to get you to buy the whole wave. And it is, but I see it as a cool way to get yet another figure we might not otherwise get. And if they decide it's not feasible or its time has passed, I'm okay with that too because I'm just glad we're getting new Legends.

This is the point when they need to be listening to fans the most. Before they've commited to anything and all ideas are welcome.

I am not opposed to them re-doing some TB figures, if anything I am all for it. Not everything that came through the pikes at TB was so great as people think.

Magneto - awful, every single version they made is terrible. He needs a proper figure that is good character representation

Toad - can we get a regular toad up in there with nice articulation?

Storm - another terrible TB that needed a rehash

Iron Man - a decent classic sculpt is needed, the original TB version was poorly designed

Brown Wolverine - only because its my favorite version and I don't have the TB version.

Almost any of the female figures are due to be rehashed...Rogue, Scarlett Witch, any of them.

I am not opposed to them re-doing some TB figures, if anything I am all for it. Not everything that came through the pikes at TB was so great as people think.

Magneto - awful, every single version they made is terrible. He needs a proper figure that is good character representation

Toad - can we get a regular toad up in there with nice articulation?

Storm - another terrible TB that needed a rehash

Iron Man - a decent classic sculpt is needed, the original TB version was poorly designed

Brown Wolverine - only because its my favorite version and I don't have the TB version.

Almost any of the female figures are due to be rehashed...Rogue, Scarlett Witch, any of them.

Oh Toybiz didn't hit a home run every time, no doubt. I think we can all agree on that, even the most ardent TB lover. I mostly agree with your list...

Magneto - I actually like this figure. I like the way his cape is the same height as him, and can be used to make him stand up. His artic is fine, the sculpt is not bad. There are a lot more figures who could use a redo before him, but... I would almost certainly buy a redo anyhow. Mags is one of the most important villains, and I could use two of him. One can go in my 60's display, and one can be the more modern Mags. So I say, yes, give us a new Magneto, please.

Toad - I want a Kirby style Toad! In fact, my custom is nearly done. I used the same recipe as everyone else - Doc Ock base. So really what I'm saying here is please make any type of Toad you want. I'll buy it.

Storm - She's not so awful in my book, but she's also not the classic look I grew up with. So I want a First Appearance Storm. The one we have is fine, but it goes with the Lee era figs.

Iron Man classic - I don't see this happening any time soon. Hasbro just did one. It's a flawed figure, with the too-thin waist and the unpainted yellow areas, but it's still a good figure in my book. No way they spend the money to retool this anytime soon. They might reissue this same figure, though.

Brown Wolvie - It seems like almost a certainty that they will do a new Wolvie body, and that he'll come in both yellow and brown versions. I'd bet cash money on that.

Mystique, Scarlett Witch - Since the redone Black Widow has been so well recieved, it seems very likely that new versions of these two will come out. Let me add Spiderwoman to that list! And, I'd just love to see some new Wasps as well. How about a nice first appearance version, with the customer service headset? Put out a really awesome box set of the first Avengers team, the way you're doing with MU, and I'll buy two! Throw a classic Loki into that box while you're at it, mkay?

The Bullseye body - I'm with you, I'll be happy to see this buck go the way of the dodo. Yeah, it is awesomely poseable, that's cool. I don't really have a problem with the feet like you do, although the toe hinge is silly and makes it not stand up as well. But the hunched back you mentioned just stinks. I've corrected that bad posture on a few customs by sawing the head off, and resetting it at a more natural angle. Save me the trouble next time, Big 'Bro!

I also agree about the chest artic. I prefer a waist swivel, and a (functional) chest hinge. There are a few characters where the other style works ok... some of the newer Iron Man suits don't lend themselves to a waist cut.

I think there's plenty of room for Hasbro to do the following:

1) New characters - there have been TONS of new characters introduced just in the last couple years

2) Re-do of Popular characters - Let's face it, they are going to re-do Cap, Wolverine, Iron Man, Spidey etc. But for some of these, there have been costume changes. Iron Man just got a new armor after his reboot. Then you got CapBucky and Steve Rogers. And Wolverine has an X Force costume.

3) Re-do of other poor TB/Hasbro figs - There are some figs (like Scarlet Witch) which need to be redone just because the original is just poor.

4) New costumes - as stated above, there are tons of new costumes. We need an updated Luke Cage badly for example.

I'm looking forward to this new line.

I think people should be happy because this is what everyone has been asking for. Is Hasbro going to do a good job? Really depends. The upcoming 2-packs look awsome but thats ONLY because they were being displayed at SDCC. And then theres the topic of whether or not it'll actually happens in 2012...

I think people should be happy because this is what everyone has been asking for. Is Hasbro going to do a good job? Really depends. The upcoming 2-packs look awsome but thats ONLY because they were being displayed at SDCC. And then theres the topic of whether or not it'll actually happens in 2012...

The last 2 sets of 2 packs were pretty awesome (if you can get past Sue Storms giant hand) and looked pretty much like the ones Hasbro displayed at various toy shows before hand. There's no reason the next wave won't look just as good.

So Someone above reminded me that Hasbro is infact a corporate entity focussed on maximum $. One of the "Smart" buisness practices that occurred when DC Animated lines switched from Hasbro to Mattel, was that Mattel resized their scaling to be a tiny bit shorter than Hasbro's. This way all the Hasbro animated figures would have to be redone in the new Mattel scale (ie, Superman, batman ect...)and collectors would have to rebuy many characters they already had from Hasbro for the new scaling system.

If Hasbro adopted this approach with ML, then say the average figure was scaled down .25" or something- there would be alot of collector making hard decisions to replace TB scaled figures.

Just a thought

regards

THe CHamp

If Hasbro adopted this approach with ML, then say the average figure was scaled down .25" or something- there would be alot of collector making hard decisions to replace TB scaled figures.

Just a thought

regards

THe CHamp

A 1/4" difference wouldn't matter to me, because Marvel Select is much more disparate than that, and several of their items work just fine with Marvel Legends. Seeing the design aesthetic difference from Marvel Universe to Iron Man 2 figures makes me interested to see how the more updated sculpting aesthetics would interpret some of the mainstay characters.

The 6" Iron Man 2 figures are just excellent examples of that new aesthetic at work, so seeing that applied across the board could pique me to buy characters I already have.

So Someone above reminded me that Hasbro is infact a corporate entity focussed on maximum $. One of the "Smart" buisness practices that occurred when DC Animated lines switched from Hasbro to Mattel, was that Mattel resized their scaling to be a tiny bit shorter than Hasbro's. This way all the Hasbro animated figures would have to be redone in the new Mattel scale (ie, Superman, batman ect...)and collectors would have to rebuy many characters they already had from Hasbro for the new scaling system.

This has already happened with the spiderman classics line (with the exception of scorpion tail venom) all of the current and upcomming figures are undersized(not to mention under articulated)compared to the previous offerings, and the same happened with the last two exclusive ml waves (nemesis, ares)again with a few exceptions. I for one will not buy redone characters if they are greatly reduced in size, even if they have great sculpts like the nemesis daredevil (I got him for the BAF part), unless they bring back the BAF concept in which case I will probably sell the smaller figures. And if they start over in the new reduced scale I will probably only pick the larger characters that actually fit with my existing collection.

Meh! I am pretty much, at this point with the " I will believe it when I see it crowd ". I have an amazing Toy Biz Marvel Legends collection already and I dont think that Hasbro will even come close to touching it IMOP. Just look at how some of the Toy Biz figures have already begun go way up in value within the " collectors " market. To a lot of collectors out there, including myself the Toy Biz line is the definitive Marvel action figure collection. I'm really happy with what I have. I started to collect the MU line but quit at the end of series 2. I thought, " whats the point in collecting a smaller line of all the same old characters I already have in a much better quallity 6" version?" Plus I agree with most when it boils down to the sub par quallity of Hasbro's MU line. I do have a select few of the Hasbro Marvel Legends but I still don't think that they match up to the majority of the Toy Biz figures. Time will tell with me, I guess. I may end up collecting a few of the new Hasbro 6" inchers in the near future if they imrove quallity wize and they make some of the other characters we dont get too often. We already have enough Wolverine's, Spider-Man's and, well you know.

Meh! I am pretty much, at this point with the " I will believe it when I see it crowd ". I have an amazing Toy Biz Marvel Legends collection already and I dont think that Hasbro will even come close to touching it IMOP. Just look at how some of the Toy Biz figures have already begun go way up in value within the " collectors " market. To a lot of collectors out there, including myself the Toy Biz line is the definitive Marvel action figure collection. I'm really happy with what I have. I started to collect the MU line but quit at the end of series 2. I thought, " whats the point in collecting a smaller line of all the same old characters I already have in a much better quallity 6" version?" Plus I agree with most when it boils down to the sub par quallity of Hasbro's MU line. I do have a select few of the Hasbro Marvel Legends but I still don't think that they match up to the majority of the Toy Biz figures. Time will tell with me, I guess. I may end up collecting a few of the new Hasbro 6" inchers in the near future if they imrove quallity wize and they make some of the other characters we dont get too often. We already have enough Wolverine's, Spider-Man's and, well you know.

I guess the Marvel Universe line of figures is a line for new Marvel fans , like me .

I want to see some Protos before I make any decision I'm not just going to go"o my god Marvel Legends are back" and snag them out of a kids hand for no good reason :P

For newer collectors like me who want to get in to Marvel Legends , that is just fantastic news ! But the bad thing is , 2012 will take a while to finally come around . So new collectors will be waiting .

For newer collectors like me who want to get in to Marvel Legends , that is just fantastic news ! But the bad thing is , 2012 will take a while to finally come around . So new collectors will be waiting .

Consider this a warning & start SAVING UP $$$$ now a head of time so you all are not bitching about how damned broke you are from buying these things @loll@

• Like 2

Consider this a warning & start SAVING UP $$$$ now a head of time so you all are not bitching about how damned broke you are from buying these things @loll@

Yeah... I started my ML fund... LOL