New HISS Tanks on the way from HASBRO, in BLACK!

Hammerfel

"He further described that the windowless canopy was to address the fact that glass-cockpit tanks aren't all that tough (a frequently raised point about the fragility of an original HISS tank on a real battlefield). He described that idea is that the inside of the canopy is a full video wall with a targeting HUD fed via external cameras."

Yeah, but seeing how none of this is "real" to begin with, nor should it ever be, I think a little bit of naive kid's mentality can go a long way here, and they (we) can just assume that the glass canopy is made of super futuristic unbreakable material made by MARRS?

A full video wall, with a targeting HUD fed via external camera's all SOUNDS cool, but physically empty in the grand scheme of a fun toy to play with. There's something to be said about a toy vehicle, with a driver or pilot and being able to see him at the driver or pilots station. One pinpoint strike from the Joes, and that system is knocked out and the pilot is blind and going nowhere without a peep hole for backup. ;)

It's cool they're doing a factory made Black version though.

• Like 2

"He further described that the windowless canopy was to address the fact that glass-cockpit tanks aren't all that tough (a frequently raised point about the fragility of an original HISS tank on a real battlefield). He described that idea is that the inside of the canopy is a full video wall with a targeting HUD fed via external cameras."

Yeah, but seeing how none of this is "real" to begin with, nor should it ever be, I think a little bit of naive kid's mentality can go a long way here, and they (we) can just assume that the glass canopy is made of super futuristic unbreakable material made by MARRS?

A full video wall, with a targeting HUD fed via external camera's all SOUNDS cool, but physically empty in the grand scheme of a fun toy to play with. There's something to be said about a toy vehicle, with a driver or pilot and being able to see him at the driver or pilots station. One pinpoint strike from the Joes, and that system is knocked out and the pilot is blind and going nowhere without a peep hole for backup. ;)

It's cool they're doing a factory made Black version though.

true, very true. But still i like the idea a lot. It's always a pros and cons kinda thing. Unless they have a glass windshield that has a cover over it in till needed.

I'm glad their fixing their obvious error!

Makes you wonder if the "undesirable" brown version will turn out to be an expensive rare piece down the road...

I can't help but agree with VH concerning the original H.I.S.S. canopy though. There is something to be said about seeing a pilot or driver figure actually at the controls or in the driver's seat. It's appealing from the standpoint of appreciating a toy vehicle. Although I get the notion of having the completely enclosed canopy that protects the driver, it also makes the new H.I.S.S. look like a drone or un-manned vehicle. Ahh...I actually like both new and old versions, and I'm glad they're gonna release a black POC H.I.S.S..

I think the solid canopy actually was done to save money. They saved cash by making it one solid piece instead of doing two pieces in difference kinds of plastics.

Also, if the canopy is supposed to have a giant video wall... then I must have missed it. Does the new Hiss feature that inside the canopy? It looks pretty empty to me.

and like VH said, I always just thought that all clear canopies were "super unbreakable" materials. I never let anybody get killed while he was inside of a vehicle cockpit, unless it was a plane that got shot down... and I think going for "realism" here is a mistake... when we have so many other ridiculous things in the line.

A full video wall, with a targeting HUD fed via external camera's all SOUNDS cool, but physically empty in the grand scheme of a fun toy to play with. There's something to be said about a toy vehicle, with a driver or pilot and being able to see him at the driver or pilots station. One pinpoint strike from the Joes, and that system is knocked out and the pilot is blind and going nowhere without a peep hole for backup.

Yep, but if you extend their logic a bit, the vehicle could be cheap to produce, despite having high-tech advancements. COBRA never seems to go for the armoured slug-fest kinds of vehicles that the Joe team field. COBRA seems to go for stuff that is fast, light weight (for the most part) and technologically advanced. They don't need it to be robust because chances are that by the time a HISS is hit, its probably pretty much met its objective gains.....or allowed other units to meet the objectives.

Okay....okay....a kid isn't going to think anywhere near those terms, and would want a window.....but the reasoning is still there.

I think of it as being like the Aliens--who do not have eyes to begin with. Their sightless nature males them even scarier, and window-less HISS tanks have the same feel. Eye-less, faceless, implacable foes.......scary stuff. Thankfully, GIJOE is therrrrreeeeee....... @loll@

I can't imagine anyone is surprised by this news.

As for the canopy, as much as I love the HISS, even as a kid I thought it was dumb to have a transparent canopy on a tank. No matter what it was made from, it couldn't be as strong as the rest of the tank - otherwise why not make the whole thing out of "transparent aluminum" or whatever? Slits? maybe, but I am quite happy with this new HISS honestly.

As for the canopy, as much as I love the HISS, even as a kid I thought it was dumb to have a transparent canopy on a tank. No matter what it was made from, it couldn't be as strong as the rest of the tank - otherwise why not make the whole thing out of "transparent aluminum" or whatever? Slits? maybe, but I am quite happy with this new HISS honestly.

It's cool enough, for sure, but I just don't see Cobra as being all logical and realistic when it comes to their armaments.

Two of the coolest original vehicles for them, seemed pretty outrageous for realistic application on the battlefield, and left the pilots or gunners wide open, with no cover, limited defense and weapons, and yes, a transparent canopy, that might not be as strong as the rest of the vehicle, but I say who cares? ;)

fang-and-hiss.jpg

It didn't seem to bother you kids back then all that much, so I doubt it's going to cross the minds of the youth today. Just like the foot pegs....what realistic military vehicle has foot pegs? The original team behind all this back in the 80's knew the value of having them added, as an additional play feature, for the kids to pile on their figures.

On the new HISS, having a driver figure unseen in the front is as lame as having one tucked up under the guns, lying on his back. Seeing the pilot and that gunner at his station is what made the original cool. If these guys get too technical about this stuff, the "fun" goes right out the window, and all we're left with is some anal nerds talking about how "true-to-life" their new G.I.Joe toys are. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I can't imagine anyone is surprised by this news.

Call me insane, but now i really want a transparent light blue hiss tank. I've always loved transparent toys! A logical reason could be that the transparent stuff is more expensive??

How about putting clearly visable cameras on the thing?

It's cool enough, for sure, but I just don't see Cobra as being all logical and realistic when it comes to their armaments.

Two of the coolest original vehicles for them, seemed pretty outrageous for realistic application on the battlefield, and left the pilots or gunners wide open, with no cover, limited defense and weapons, and yes, a transparent canopy, that might not be as strong as the rest of the vehicle, but I say who cares? ;)

fang-and-hiss.jpg

It didn't seem to bother you kids back then all that much, so I doubt it's going to cross the minds of the youth today. Just like the foot pegs....what realistic military vehicle has foot pegs? The original team behind all this back in the 80's knew the value of having them added, as an additional play feature, for the kids to pile on their figures.

On the new HISS, having a driver figure unseen in the front is as lame as having one tucked up under the guns, lying on his back. Seeing the pilot and that gunner at his station is what made the original cool. If these guys get too technical about this stuff, the "fun" goes right out the window, and all we're left with is some anal nerds talking about how "true-to-life" their new G.I.Joe toys are. :rolleyes:

to a point you are right, but it did actually bother me as a kid. That is probably part of why i grew up to such a nerd. There is a balance, i don't think this crosses it to far into the realism side. I don't really think you can make that argument, look at the thing!

I predict many, many repaits for POC vehicles AND figures whether they're called for by fans or not. A.) a lot of molds are too cool to only be used once. B.) This is Hasbro.

Hasbro confuses me though. There lots of repaints i would have thought logical or would have liked and never have seen. Like a sigma or liquid armor suit duke in more classic colors or a 25th pack (2nd one) baroness in blue, or even simple Frankenstein like giving Stone a bat arm and an eye patch, or giving bazooka a more military looking shirt.

But instead we get stuff like 20 versions of the old grandslam/flash armor, and strange neo viper repaints. So while yes repaints are coming, they could be terrible.

Call me insane, but now i really want a transparent light blue hiss tank. I've always loved transparent toys! A logical reason could be that the transparent stuff is more expensive??

How about putting clearly visable cameras on the thing?

I would totally buy an "invisible/stealth" HISS!

As for visible cameras, modern tech already offers fairly high-resolution pin hole cameras. There'd be no reason for Cobra/Mars' advanced tech to have anything remotely resembling lenses sticking out all over.

I agree its cool to actually see a driver inside the tank. But having a solid canopy does have its perks, and I don't just mean 'technically'. If a kid doesn't have that many troops, he/she can just pretend there is driver inside and keep all figures out in the battlefield to make his/her forces look bigger. No one would ever know the cockpit is empty since its completely covered.

But I'm guessing Hasbro is prepared for this; I wouldn't be surprised if they designed the HISS to be manufactured with either a solid or transparent canopy.

Scored a new HISS 5...and in the process of painting it Black right now.

• Like 2

Just as a FYI, this will likely be a store exclusive.

I heard it was going to be a running change (somewhere?) I'm sure we will find out once it's more concrete. hoping it's a running change though.

• 1 month later...

Finally got one. No single figs yet but the local fred Meijers had the hiss and the wolfhound (which was an easy pass) As soon as I pulled it out of the box, my wife asked why the tank was such an ugly brown. Even a non joe nerd agrees with us.

Painted it black already :)

I always liked being able to see my guy in the driver seat. i might pick up the black hiss?

TM

I had thought about waiting for one. I still have a limited toy/fun budget, but when i saw it in person i just had to grab it.

I brought back more nostalgia than any modern joe toy. I had to apply the stickers, put the parts together. There was that same frustration of trying to get the stickers just exactly right. It is probably (aside from color) the best Joe vehicle since the 80's.

I know it's been brought up before, but why does hasbro even include little posters if they are going to fold them so much as to ruin them? It's not just creases, mine has large white spots where the ink has rubbed off on the folds. Heck cut the price 10 cents and leave em out!

I brought back more nostalgia than any modern joe toy. I had to apply the stickers, put the parts together. There was that same frustration of trying to get the stickers just exactly right. It is probably (aside from color) the best Joe vehicle since the 80's.

You using tweezers to put on the stickers? That's the secret. ;)

• Like 1