Batman: Under The Red Hood Review

JayC

I am in the process of downloading it to watch, will add my two cents in a few.

Finished downloading it, starting to watch it.

SPOILER********

15 mins in an already its awesome, 15 mins and you have Batman, Ghul, Nightwing, Robin, Joker and now Amazo....the colors are rich and vibrant, I hope the rest of this pans out.

Just finished and all I can say is that IMO it is perfect. JayC gives it a B+ for me it is an A all the way. Its gritty and tough, nothing for the kids to watch at all. It's serious and manages to fit so much detail into a short movie. Now I am wondering if it replaces WW as my favorite animated movie....its that good. This movie is better than most live action superhero movies.

Edited by Superpowers1980

SPOILER********

15 mins in an already its awesome, 15 mins and you have Batman, Ghul, Nightwing, Robin, Joker and now Amazo....the colors are rich and vibrant, I hope the rest of this pans out.

Just finished and all I can say is that IMO it is perfect. JayC gives it a B+ for me it is an A all the way. Its gritty and tough, nothing for the kids to watch at all. It's serious and manages to fit so much detail into a short movie. Now I am wondering if it replaces WW as my favorite animated movie....its that good. This movie is better than most live action superhero movies.

i agree!

SPOILER********

i agree!

Man, I am really blown away by how amazing it is. This movie is simply another milestone for DC.......it was much better than Ironman 2 as an example. I really can't believe how much story they packed in an hour and fifteen minutes. I didn't even mind the voice being different, everything just hit on all cylinders. Here are some other notables:

1. Nightwing and Batman each jumped differently which I liked

2. The Joker was amazing, I love when either comics, TV, and movies when they get him right and the depth of his madness and his cunning.

3. The story was amazing

4. The action was amazing

I can't wait to hear the people who don't like this, I want them to explain how they could NOT like this.

This is the best DC animated movie I've seen to date without a doubt. Normally I find myself making excuses for these "cartoons", saying this or that as to why something wasn't so bad. But this was just about perfect. The action was great, the pacing was great, the emotions were all there. For me the only thing that would have made it better was if Mark Hamill voiced Joker. But other than that it was AWESOME.

This is the best DC animated movie I've seen to date without a doubt. Normally I find myself making excuses for these "cartoons", saying this or that as to why something wasn't so bad. But this was just about perfect. The action was great, the pacing was great, the emotions were all there. For me the only thing that would have made it better was if Mark Hamill voiced Joker. But other than that it was AWESOME.

They weren't excuses, the other movies are good, its just that this one takes it all to a whole new level. As most I would of prefered Mark as the voice, but this guy got the laugh down which was perfect. The art combined with the voice almost made it seem like an older Joker, I just took it as if he had aged. It was just about perfect, after this movie I was thinking of the following films I would love to see.

Aquaman

Doom Patrol

Wonder Woman -- another one

They weren't excuses, the other movies are good, its just that this one takes it all to a whole new level.

Honestly, I only found them ok, not bad, not good, not great....just ok. Fun in spots, weak in others, quite often rushed. This movie however was just plan AWESOME....everything just worked.

Thanks to superpowers for the link to the download... now onto the complaining.

Well I watched almost 20 min... put it on hold to watch later.

Here's the problem I have:

1) Why is Jason wearing Tim Drakes new costume? I know it's because of branding,... but it really is terrible. IT's like if in the comics everytime they did flashbacks of Joker killing jason, he would be wearing whatever new version of the Robin costume that would be out that decade. It actually is kinda insulting to fans, like i don't know what a robin costume looks like?

2) Why can't Jason have his reg. background story? Oh, I know the answer again... political correctness. I guess DC is feeling appologetic about having the Joker originally aligned with Muslim terrorists when he killed Jason in the freaking desert. They also have a problem with Ras Al Ghul being depicted as Muslim despite his name is arabic for "head of the demon." So they decided to place it outside the ME.

3) Also, Jason was killed while running a renegade mission to find his real mother, that's how he was lured into the factory to begin with and betrayed. It wouldn't take much to add in a couple vague reference lines.

Other than that the directing/ voice acting is fine. They seem to have the Batman/Nightwing relationship down. Never liked Black Mask (but i'm not holding it against the movie, it's just that he's a 90's red skull ripoff). It was good to see amazo, although I don't think batman should be able to beat amazo w/o the JLA- I mean what kinda danger does amazo pose to the whole team, if just one non-powered member can beat him.

I don't think my opinion will change, but i'll let yall know when i'm finished.

regards,

Joshua

PS- Thnx again for the link

I'm just gonna throw this out there. I hope you all who are talking about downloading movies aren't referring to illegal downloading. First I hope you wouldn't be dumb enough to admit on a public forum that your doing something illegal and second just as a FYI. Companies are really starting to crack down on that type thing, by subpoenaing ISP for people's IP address of people who access those sites and download illegal content. More and more I'm reading how these big studios are filling law suits against regular Joe Blows on the net who are doing that stuff. If you ask me the couple dollars you save isn't worth the legal hassle you could be bringing on to yourself, but either way I just thought I would pass on the FYI.

I'm just gonna throw this out there. I hope you all who are talking about downloading movies aren't referring to illegal downloading. First I hope you wouldn't be dumb enough to admit on a public forum that your doing something illegal and second just as a FYI. Companies are really starting to crack down on that type thing, by subpoenaing ISP for people's IP address of people who access those sites and download illegal content. More and more I'm reading how these big studios are filling law suits against regular Joe Blows on the net who are doing that stuff. If you ask me the couple dollars you save isn't worth the legal hassle you could be bringing on to yourself, but either way I just thought I would pass on the FYI.

Can't squeeze blood from a stone.

regards

Joshua

Thanks to superpowers for the link to the download... now onto the complaining.

Well I watched almost 20 min... put it on hold to watch later.

Here's the problem I have:

1) Why is Jason wearing Tim Drakes new costume? I know it's because of branding,... but it really is terrible. IT's like if in the comics everytime they did flashbacks of Joker killing jason, he would be wearing whatever new version of the Robin costume that would be out that decade. It actually is kinda insulting to fans, like i don't know what a robin costume looks like?

2) Why can't Jason have his reg. background story? Oh, I know the answer again... political correctness. I guess DC is feeling appologetic about having the Joker originally aligned with Muslim terrorists when he killed Jason in the freaking desert. They also have a problem with Ras Al Ghul being depicted as Muslim despite his name is arabic for "head of the demon." So they decided to place it outside the ME.

3) Also, Jason was killed while running a renegade mission to find his real mother, that's how he was lured into the factory to begin with and betrayed. It wouldn't take much to add in a couple vague reference lines.

Other than that the directing/ voice acting is fine. They seem to have the Batman/Nightwing relationship down. Never liked Black Mask (but i'm not holding it against the movie, it's just that he's a 90's red skull ripoff). It was good to see amazo, although I don't think batman should be able to beat amazo w/o the JLA- I mean what kinda danger does amazo pose to the whole team, if just one non-powered member can beat him.

I don't think my opinion will change, but i'll let yall know when i'm finished.

regards,

Joshua

PS- Thnx again for the link

Man you should be over this by now. Everyone who has watched any of the DC cartoons in the past 15 years know that they create their own history from the original story. Why would you expect a direct translation, that is your stumbling block from the first 20 mins.

1. The costume doesn't matter, I mean seriously who cares? Secondly it makes sense to give him a mature costume, why would he still run around in that ridiculous outfit at the age he was. Think about it, they change costumes all the time, in the JLU cartoon, they made Amazo all grey, looked nothing like the original, they always change it up.

2. Having joker aligned with Ghul makes sense, they offered a good storyline and added to why and how Jason came back. It worked perfectly.

3. That wasn't needed and again they needed to connect the resurrection of Jason so they made a perfect move by putting in Ghul.

I liked that Batman took out Amazo. Amazo isn't all powerful and invulnerability may not of been a power he picked up which how Batman gained the advantage.

Man you should be over this by now. Everyone who has watched any of the DC cartoons in the past 15 years know that they create their own history from the original story. Why would you expect a direct translation, that is your stumbling block from the first 20 mins.

1. The costume doesn't matter, I mean seriously who cares? Secondly it makes sense to give him a mature costume, why would he still run around in that ridiculous outfit at the age he was. Think about it, they change costumes all the time, in the JLU cartoon, they made Amazo all grey, looked nothing like the original, they always change it up.

2. Having joker aligned with Ghul makes sense, they offered a good storyline and added to why and how Jason came back. It worked perfectly.

3. That wasn't needed and again they needed to connect the resurrection of Jason so they made a perfect move by putting in Ghul.

I liked that Batman took out Amazo. Amazo isn't all powerful and invulnerability may not of been a power he picked up which how Batman gained the advantage.

So, I rewatched the first 20 min. last night before going to sleep. Hopefully tonight I can get through it.

If this was the Timm-verse, I wouldn't have a problem... BTAS created a problem by mixing contemporary with classics stories, this forced them to adapt classic stories (TwoFace, Ra's Al Ghul) into the storylines for the series. I wouldn't have as much a problem if this was the Timm-verse because everything would make sense in relation to its own history.

But this is not the Timm-verse. Under the Red Hood is supposed to be an adaption of a specific comicbook story; if it was an entirely new story that featured the red hood... that would be different.

I don't understand what the point is to adapting a comicbook but then deliberately not following the comicbook. There would have been nothing lost to have Jason in his actual costume or have the scene set in the desert.

Frankly, I was confused at first while i was watching the beginning scene because I thought that it was Drake. IT just doesn't make sense.

I don't mind Joker and Ra's whatever their retconned story is,... at least not yet. I don't really have a problem with Amazo, it's just odd that he's supposed to be a big deal JLA villain that somehow batman can defeat in 10 minutes.

I think they should stay away from "comic book adaptations" and just make new stories with the characters.

regards,

Joshua

So, I rewatched the first 20 min. last night before going to sleep. Hopefully tonight I can get through it.

If this was the Timm-verse, I wouldn't have a problem... BTAS created a problem by mixing contemporary with classics stories, this forced them to adapt classic stories (TwoFace, Ra's Al Ghul) into the storylines for the series. I wouldn't have as much a problem if this was the Timm-verse because everything would make sense in relation to its own history.

But this is not the Timm-verse. Under the Red Hood is supposed to be an adaption of a specific comicbook story; if it was an entirely new story that featured the red hood... that would be different.

I don't understand what the point is to adapting a comicbook but then deliberately not following the comicbook. There would have been nothing lost to have Jason in his actual costume or have the scene set in the desert.

Frankly, I was confused at first while i was watching the beginning scene because I thought that it was Drake. IT just doesn't make sense.

I don't mind Joker and Ra's whatever their retconned story is,... at least not yet. I don't really have a problem with Amazo, it's just odd that he's supposed to be a big deal JLA villain that somehow batman can defeat in 10 minutes.

I think they should stay away from "comic book adaptations" and just make new stories with the characters.

regards,

Joshua

So far all their comic book adaptations have been changed and/or altered. That is the running norm now. Superman/Doomsday, Public Enemies, Crisis on two earths, even the origins of Green Lantern and Wonder Woman. Sinestro didn't get the yellow energy that way or that soon, the gelled it with what was current.

I am going to pick up the movie when it comes out to see it then, but this topic got me to go back and re-read the TPB's and Batman takes Amazo out pretty easily in the comic as well. It is explained as a possible prototype Amazo or early model.

Hey,

I saw your post about the new dc movie, I was curious where you went to download it. It sounds like i might enjoy this one.

regards

Joshua

PM'd

was wondering the same thing

I am going to pick up the movie when it comes out to see it then, but this topic got me to go back and re-read the TPB's and Batman takes Amazo out pretty easily in the comic as well. It is explained as a possible prototype Amazo or early model.

It's not out in the US as yet? Or are you in a different country?

It hits the stores on July 27 here in the US, unless the release date was changed.

It hits the stores on July 27 here in the US, unless the release date was changed.

Oh ok, I don't follow US release dates for DVDs, just action figures since we don't normally get collector geared figures here.

So far all their comic book adaptations have been changed and/or altered. That is the running norm now. Superman/Doomsday, Public Enemies, Crisis on two earths, even the origins of Green Lantern and Wonder Woman. Sinestro didn't get the yellow energy that way or that soon, the gelled it with what was current.

Yeah, I'm not exactly arguing with you on this. I had the same complaint with Superman/Doomsday. In terms of Wonder Woman and Green Lantern movies... I'm not sure they were directed at a specific storyline from the comics, but rather a nebulous origin. I can't comment on Public Enemies b/c I haven't seen it.

The problems I have are not tweaking of the story, obviously if there are 3-5 storylines in the plot then some will get dropped otherwise we would have 4 hour movies.

What i'm talking about are needless changes that contribute nothing. What was the point of putting Jason in Tim's costume? What was the point of moving the scene out of the desert? Honestly, I'm mostly frustrated over Robin costume change. It just makes no sense, other than a corporate decision to insert the new costume for brand concerns.

Honestly, i would have no problems if they just created new stories using whatever characters they wanted to use.

I guess in the end they're just lazy.

regards

Joshua

Watched it late last night and loved it! DC has been a hit to me with all but the Superman Doomsday release. Still have to watch Wonder Woman and finish Crisis on Two Earths.

Watched it late last night and loved it! DC has been a hit to me with all but the Superman Doomsday release. Still have to watch Wonder Woman and finish Crisis on Two Earths.

How do you rank it in terms of cartoon movies, like on a scale of 1 to 10?

For me I'd say a 9 out of 10. It gets a 9 and not a 10 mainly because of Nightwing. I didn't really like how they changed up his personality. That wasn't the man that would one day become Batman.

For me I'd say a 9 out of 10. It gets a 9 and not a 10 mainly because of Nightwing. I didn't really like how they changed up his personality. That wasn't the man that would one day become Batman.

Well still didn't finish the movie, but i did get up to the flashback sequence w/ jason as a young robin and liked it very much even if they still can't get the original costume right. The personality was dead on, and the riddler seemed to be more inspired by Frank Gorshin.

I actually think that the Batman/Nightwing relationship is fine, as robin Dick always had some humor so i don't mind it showing a little bit (assuming that's what you didn't like).

regards

Joshua

PS- I haven't read the comics to this storyline so if that's how amazo was taken out in the comics then i guess i have no argument here, I wish the reason for him being taken out so easily was explained by a one line reference or something like

Nightwing: well that was easy.(sarcastic)

Batman: That was only the prototype.