joes 9.97 at walmart wtf

xhairs

And I do feel bad about it because I am worried about the comic industry, but I am sorry, I can't pay 4 bucks for comics.

I'm not worried about the industry, they're digging their own grave. I am worried about the store I've been buying from for over 15 years, run by great people, with the number 4 comic store in America 5 minutes down the road from them....I want to help keep them in business! But I've had to stop buying books that are $4, which means having to drop Captain America (an awesome book), Action and Detective Comics :(

I'm not trying to kid myself that comics will NEVER rise in price again, they've done it gradually through the decades...but that was by nicles, dimes and quarters. This is a $1 jump! For what???!!!!

I was just about to post a topic about this when I saw it. Talk about complete B.S.! Could it have been a mistake, possibly. Am I about to walk around and hunt for a scanner to see if it was...HELL NO! Mistake or not that is the price and it first glance who in their right mind would buy it for $10 if it was not a mistake. I can blame Walmart and/or Hasbro if there is an increase. I will not blame myself for saying no to a line that had maybe one or two figures worth getting. This is just a bad thing, again mistake or not, for everyone. I can only imagine what a parent or casual customer thinks when they see that price. I even not think they would bother to scan it. All can say is $9.97...No Joe!

I was just about to post a topic about this when I saw it. Talk about complete B.S.! Could it have been a mistake, possibly. Am I about to walk around and hunt for a scanner to see if it was...HELL NO! Mistake or not that is the price and it first glance who in their right mind would buy it for $10 if it was not a mistake. I can blame Walmart and/or Hasbro if there is an increase. I will not blame myself for saying no to a line that had maybe one or two figures worth getting. This is just a bad thing, again mistake or not, for everyone. I can only imagine what a parent or casual customer thinks when they see that price. I even not think they would bother to scan it. All can say is $9.97...No Joe!

i agree wit you 100%

I'm not trying to kid myself that comics will NEVER rise in price again, they've done it gradually through the decades...but that was by nicles, dimes and quarters. This is a $1 jump! For what???!!!!

yeah, I worry about the guy I used to buy comics from, but he seems to be doing ok from yugi-oh cards.

When I started buying comics, they were a buck. Then some of them went to 1.25. This was the 90's, when books like Namor, Ghost Rider (dan Ketch version), Dark Hawk, New Warriors, and X-Force were starting up.

yeah, I worry about the guy I used to buy comics from, but he seems to be doing ok from yugi-oh cards.

When I started buying comics, they were a buck. Then some of them went to 1.25. This was the 90's, when books like Namor, Ghost Rider (dan Ketch version), Dark Hawk, New Warriors, and X-Force were starting up.

Same here Clam, I had to give up just like you did for the same reasons. I was buying books I didn't even like to keep up with story lines and the prices just kept jumping higher and higher.

Now as far as the Wal-Mart thing I believe what you are all saying but here in MA at the North Adams and Pittsfield stores they are still $6.88 and Star Wars figs are $4.50, every time a line gets good or I get into it, the line gets killed by movie toys, price or change in manufacturer. I am about to drop toys from my final piece of collecting. I've always been a toy collector and I have seen it at it's best in the 80's it's worst in the 90's and it's resurgence in the 00's and I'm afraid it will die in the 10's just as it could have been it's best.

Back in Ky my local shop went bankrupt. It was very sad :(. I had some clues it was coming, but he was hoping to sale and i didn't expect to drive up one day (actually to pick up the last issue of the DDP run of Joe) and see a closed sign :(

Toys though, aren't in the hands of specialty shops. That comes with pros and cons i'll admit. You can't talk about the hobby as much in a mainstream store, but the prices are usually better and there is a better chance to reach new customers or casual fans. Part of the downfall of comics is the loss of casual or new fans.

I've had to give up comics almost completely. I do buy a few trades here and there. JJlecaros hooked me up with some comic stuff recently! i appreciate that! but i always have to order etc, cause there is no comic shop here and i'm not going to find them in wal-mart.

For me here in Alaska, Joes are already 9-10 at one store(fred Meijer), and the only other store in town (wal-mart) stopped caring them awhile ago. I'm hoping they come back of course, but i'm not sure. They only have 1/2 an isle of action figures! they do have corps though, plenty of those. I have to confess i loath that line these days and strongly wish it's end. It shouldn't be the thorn in joes side that it is. But they have more consistent with proportions, marketing and shelf presence than joes for many years now. But that is a tangent!

I'm picky as it is now, but i'd be completly out at 10.00 a fig. I guarantee it would be 10.00+ for me cause i'm either buying shipping or a living in the boonies mark up.

As stoked as I am for POC I can't do $10 toys. I would have gladly paid $10-15 for MOTUC or Ghostbusters but unfortunately for every few people like me there was a person willing to spend $28 after shipping for ONE figure that is maybe 20% original parts. And Mattel can rot for that, making less and less original product for a higher cost that only increasingly devoted fans will buy.

The simple fact, from an economic standpoint, that I haven't really heard anyone put forward is this...

The difference may seem marginal and even be explainable BUT

When I see $10 figures I am probably only there to buy the 3 or 4 I want most, even then if it's been a rough week I may take a serious look at putting one back... looking at 4 lonely figures and knowing I spent $40+ on them after tax is depressing, it devalues them in my mind

When I see $6 figures I am probably there to buy avocados or Windex & think.. why not pick up a toy while I'm there.

It doesn't equal out to buying more or less for a certain amount... most people don't have a set toy specific budget....

When the price is lower I will spend more because I see the value, the fair value, and can buy what I really want AND pick up a few extra for customs because I don't feel like I'm wasting money.

Well, $10.00 is the now usual Canadian price for approx 4" figures since around 2007 in Crazy Canuck Land. That said, if the U.S. is indeed charging these figures $10.00 now, I hate to see what it's going to be when they arrive in Canada.

Or it could just be U.S.A. Wal-mart's screwing with you all, by overcharging them for the 1st few weeks, and then lowering down the price afterwards so that customers will be like "Oh, they've now lower the price, like how they always avertised. They've given me a break on my wallet now that it's cheap, so I'll buy a few", unaware that the price shouldn't be at $10.00 to begin with. Course, for people who only buy stuff to sell on eBay and what not, if they currently buy them for the current U.S. price of $10.00, then it could give them a even more incentive to raise the prices the figures they bought when they sell them("Oh, so it's $10.00 bucks now? No problem. I'll start the bid at $20.00, instead of $10.00 like I got it for. Sounds reasonable, since Hasbro has now raised the price even more. Mo Money, Mo Money").

I checked the Wal-Mart here in Vicksburg and they are now at $9.99. They've jumper $3 since last week. Do they honestly think that they can sell ROC wave 1 figures for that price when they couldn't even get them off the shelves at $5? The crazy thing is that I went to Big Lots yesterday and picked up some 25th Para-Vipers & Eels for $4 each.

As stoked as I am for POC I can't do $10 toys. I would have gladly paid $10-15 for MOTUC or Ghostbusters but unfortunately for every few people like me there was a person willing to spend $28 after shipping for ONE figure that is maybe 20% original parts. And Mattel can rot for that, making less and less original product for a higher cost that only increasingly devoted fans will buy.

The simple fact, from an economic standpoint, that I haven't really heard anyone put forward is this...

When I see $10 figures I am probably only there to buy the 3 or 4 I want most, even then if it's been a rough week I may take a serious look at putting one back... looking at 4 lonely figures and knowing I spent $40+ on them after tax is depressing, it devalues them in my mind

When I see $6 figures I am probably there to buy avocados or Windex & think.. why not pick up a toy while I'm there.

It doesn't equal out to buying more or less for a certain amount... most people don't have a set toy specific budget....

When the price is lower I will spend more because I see the value, the fair value, and can buy what I really want AND pick up a few extra for customs because I don't feel like I'm wasting money.

All true, word for word!

When you have to bend over that far to get a figure, even if you think it's a COOL figure, the joy is just not there for me. And the hobby should be FUN. I look at motu fans updating their status with woes about the Matty site being down, or the new ____ figure sold out in X-number of seconds and I think, "Really??"

I'll be done if this price sticks.

All true, word for word!

When you have to bend over that far to get a figure, even if you think it's a COOL figure, the joy is just not there for me. And the hobby should be FUN. I look at motu fans updating their status with woes about the Matty site being down, or the new ____ figure sold out in X-number of seconds and I think, "Really??"

I'll be done if this price sticks.

me too as i customize so i buy multiple of figs for parts. im am prob the only guy who bought over a 70 if not more sawvipers for there legs alone. i think i have 1 or 2 still moc lol. i dont blame hasbro i do blame walmart. as hasbro has them for 5.99 so it is not them. i just hope the other stores dont follow there lead.

hasbro said one of the reasons they thought the ROC line didn't do so well was the price point... and those were 7 bucks.

they said they were going to sell POC for 6 bucks

I don't see these new prices sticking around

The important thing to remember here, is Hasbro dosen't set price. They set the SRP, Suggested Retail Price, accent on Suggested. They have no control over what price any given retailer charges. If Wal-Mart wants to charge a BS price that not even the most rabid Joeholic would pay, they can and will.

It also dosen't help that Wally-World is the 800 pound gorilla of the retail industry, giving them a rediculous amount of influence in the action figure industry.

Really? They actually sit around and brainstorm over how to ruin the action figure industry? I know they push the Lanard line, but I'm prone to think they want action figures that SELL and the Joes sell a lot more than the CORPS and the CORPS are dirt cheap. I can't imagine the Walmart execs wringing their hands over action figures and which ones to try and influence the selling of? They probably worry more about what's selling and what's not.

That said, I noticed my Walmarts are the $9.97 price as well, but it's just the same old sh@# as before. If this price stays for when the new stuff comes out, I guess Target, TRU or Corey at Smalljoes is getting my money. :)

Don't ask me to explain it, that's just one of the many odd practices Wal-Mart has been known to employ. And just for clarification, it's not limited to Action Figures or even toys.

Well, to be honest, I don't have any insider information on Walmart and what they're agendas are, outside of selling stuff, but i know they seem to be linked to the "evil capitalistic empire" and are usually under attack for various "odd practices", namely due to the fact that they're not protected by the union, so they're fair game until they comply to the unions demands (extortion) but I guess I'm finding it hard to take, too seriously, that they're deliberately out to undermine the action figure business by jacking prices up on G.I.Joe?

Sounds like a conspiracy theory, or maybe Cobra Commander works for Walmart? @loll@

you know what is odd?

If you look at all the SDCC displays for Hasbro, they always have the little white tag that says what the item is, when it will be released, and what the prices are. However, the GiJoe products don't list the prices (the Star Wars and Marvel stuff do).

I noticed that too, very strange. 6 inch figures should sell for around 10 bucks, 3 3/4 in the 4-6 buck range. I'm not supporting the line at 10 bucks a figure. And repaint vehicles are priced too high at 20, should be 10-15 bucks. Bummer, but POC will end up like ROC, and won't be at my house unless they were clearance buys.

Yep I caught that too on the Joe stuff at the con. I am not sure that is a good sign to be honest........ @hmmm@

Draven

I'm thinking the same thing. But with a toon i'm confident something will be out. But there might be high prices and more cancellations in favor of toony figs.

you know what is odd?

If you look at all the SDCC displays for Hasbro, they always have the little white tag that says what the item is, when it will be released, and what the prices are. However, the GiJoe products don't list the prices (the Star Wars and Marvel stuff do).

That's nothing new or specific to SDCC--if you look back to Toy Fair, NYCC and even Joe Con you'll see that the tag did not always have prices or not have them. Some of the tags are made at a point in time when the price point is probably still not set, so the displays carry tags that just haven't been updated throughout many shows in the year.

But what if this isn't Wally-World's doing. What if the Has' boosted their SRP to cover the money they lost when they took the first half of this year off? Plus, as has been pointed out before, most of the new POCs are coming with butt-loads of accessories, new sculpting, plus all new vehicles. That would seem a lot for the quoted price-point. Did we really expect them to give us all that for 5 bucks?

One way or the other, I bet the next Hasbro Q&A is gonna be real freakin' interesting.

My answer, is an emphatic yes.

Because otherwise I wont buy them.

I read one theory on yojoe.com that they pumped the price so that they could price cut them right away to make Walmart "look like a hero".

We'll just have to wait....

If anything, every and ALL of my ROC Joes were bought during a 2 for ____ sale, either from the store itself or price matching with an ad. I'll do the same with POC if necessary.