Where have the veterans gone?

RoyalZarak

I found the boards b/c of Joe, RodimusPrimal. He brought me here a month after we started dating and I was hooked! haha

I find it amazing that I've been on here almost 6 years. You guys are almost like family to me now. Crazy!

I just realized you back on... LOL

I love this thread XD

This will be 9 years for me this september according to my "Nope" account, which was my original account that got messed up. I kinda miss Crazy Drummer, I should go back to it :P

Since you are an '03, I bet you still get crap from the '02 guys, ey? @smilepunch@ (Ya, ya. "I was a member before, but then I lost my license and......THUNK!!") @smilepunch@ @smilepunch@ @loll@

You know I'm playin. I know who you are. :P

@loll@

Anyone remember back when you could post a topic on ADC and wait an entire day to get a reply? ;) @lol@

Sometimes it seems like it's like that around here these days with the way all of the forums are split up into multiple sites.

That "Split /multi web sight /"we are the world" decision was the worst thing to happen to this web sight. @grumpy@ Sorry JayC, but the days of getting that record members online of 943 at once will never happen again. -_-

Well I hate to burst the ol' forum bubble and add a dose of reality to the picture, but the multi-website decision is the only reason this website is still here. If I had tried to survive off these forums, these sites would have closed up a long time ago. The only reason that record you mentioned was set is cause we had posted something for news on the forums for some reason as opposed to the main site and drove the traffic here. These forums have never been the focal point of these sites when it comes to traffic. ADC/TNI/ENI is a news website. The intention and purpose of these forums was always to serve as a vehicle to discuss that news, not be a website unto itself, and now days there are better ways accomplish that, like comments sections on the individual news stories or things like Twitter and Facebook.

As for the "veterans," as others have pointed out, many of the ones you mentioned have moved on with there lives or run off and tried to start their own websites. Others still lurk but refrain from posting mainly cause it seems like most people who do post on forums now days do so to #@$#@, complain or just to pick a fight with others, and in truth who really wants to be part of that? Personally I hate the whole term "veteran" cause that usually translate to an attitude of elitist, like some how you're more special than the next guy cause you've been here longer which in turn doesn't encourage growth or new people to join and become part of the community and that in-turn results in stagnation.

Sure on a personal level, I miss the days when the site was smaller and there was a more tight-nit community. When people seemed to actually enjoy the hobby instead of running off to try and start there own websites. For me, now days when I come on the forums its to spend it cleaning out all the spam either from spambots spamming crap like shoes, people from competing websites running over trying to promote their own website or people who try to play internet reporter by seeing if the can race over and post a link to something on some site who might have posted news 5 mins before us. You know how many times I come on here to find someone has run over here and posted a link to some other site with the same news you can find right here on these sites? Then when I'm done cleaning out the spam, I get to play babysitter to the latest batch of people who seem to want to act like their 2 years old and fighting with one another. I'll be completely honest with you, it's not a lot of fun.

I keep these boards open mainly for nostalgia purposes but the reality is that technology and the times have moved on to what it was 10 years ago when I first opened these boards and social media is the new way for people to express themselves and that is what they gravitate to more and more.

Since you are an '03, I bet you still get crap from the '02 guys, ey? @smilepunch@ (Ya, ya. "I was a member before, but then I lost my license and......THUNK!!") @smilepunch@ @smilepunch@ @loll@

@loll@

Anyone remember back when you could post a topic on ADC and wait an entire day to get a reply? ;) @lol@

Sometimes it seems like it's like that around here these days with the way all of the forums are split up into multiple sites.

That "Split /multi web sight /"we are the world" decision was the worst thing to happen to this web sight. @grumpy@ Sorry JayC, but the days of getting that record members online of 943 at once will never happen again. -_-

Well I hate to burst the ol' forum bubble and add a dose of reality to the picture, but the multi-website decision is the only reason this website is still here. If I had tried to survive off these forums, these sites would have closed up a long time ago. The only reason that record you mentioned was set is cause we had posted something for news on the forums for some reason as opposed to the main site and drove the traffic here. These forums have never been the focal point of these sites when it comes to traffic. ADC/TNI/ENI is a news website. The intention and purpose of these forums was always to serve as a vehicle to discuss that news, not be a website unto itself, and now days there are better ways accomplish that, like comments sections on the individual news stories or things like Twitter and Facebook.

As for the "veterans," as others have pointed out, many of the ones you mentioned have moved on with there lives or run off and tried to start their own websites. Others still lurk but refrain from posting mainly cause it seems like most people who do post on forums now days do so to #@$#@, complain or just to pick a fight with others, and in truth who really wants to be part of that? Personally I hate the whole term "veteran" cause that usually translate to an attitude of elitist, like some how you're more special than the next guy cause you've been here longer which in turn doesn't encourage growth or new people to join and become part of the community and that in-turn results in stagnation.

Sure on a personal level, I miss the days when the site was smaller and there was a more tight-nit community. When people seemed to actually enjoy the hobby instead of running off to try and start there own websites. For me, now days when I come on the forums its to spend it cleaning out all the spam either from spambots spamming crap like shoes, people from competing websites running over trying to promote their own website or people who try to play internet reporter by seeing if the can race over and post a link to something on some site who might have posted news 5 mins before us. You know how many times I come on here to find someone has run over here and posted a link to some other site with the same news you can find right here on these sites? Then when I'm done cleaning out the spam, I get to play babysitter to the latest batch of people who seem to want to act like their 2 years old and fighting with one another. I'll be completely honest with you, it's not a lot of fun.

I keep these boards open mainly for nostalgia purposes but the reality is that technology and the times have moved on to what it was 10 years ago when I first opened these boards and social media is the new way for people to express themselves and that is what they gravitate to more and more.

I don't think message boards are obsolete just yet and am glad you keep them open. To me, the forums are the focal point! i'm sure i'm not the only one.

While i don't like the forums split up, i figured it would be better ad was for you, and I'd rather have adc/tni here with multi sites then not at all. But it's your call, do what you want.

As for vets, if you don't feel like a vet yet, JayC has a point. But guys, just hang with us and slowly it won't matter. I don't select only vets to read there threads etc. But for those that do have a history together, nostalgia is darn fun.

Anyone else remember the "if adc/tni were a story thread?" That thread was insane and i wish i had saved a copy!

I feel like a vet, i think. I've been around 6 years, and didn't step out for but a few months awhile back. Needed a break but I'm glad to be back! I love these boards! Don't ever get rid of them, pleeeeease!

@loll@

I lurked on this site for many years until my oldest child urged me to sign on and be an active part of this site by posting.

JayC, I very much appreciate your efforts and look foward to many years of talking on this site.

Wow, what a nostalgic thread. Between JI (thanks Jay B) ) and Facebook, I'm not here as much as I'd like to be, but, I try to check in every day or so. I can't believe I've been part of this board for 10 years ('customer service in toys' ;) ).

Oh well I'm not planning on closing shop any time soon and also just want to clarify above. I don't like the term Veterans as stated above but I do very much appreciate all of you guys who visit us here and have been doing so for years. There are a lot of frustrating things I have to deal with in this job but one of the great things is seeing you guys, many of you who were like teenagers when you first came here now all grown up with jobs and families and stuff. Its great to know this site and these boards could be apart of your lives even if its in some small way, and it's always great when I get to meet you all at cons and stuff and put faces to the names ect ect (just ask Tom-1). I have never pretended to think what we do here on ENI is earth changing stuff or that we do Pulitzer prize journalism, but if I've been able to help you all enjoy this hobby more in some way, then I know i've done my job which always feels good. So my thanks to you all for making this one of your Cyber home all these year or even if your new to the site.

Here's some old school members I haven't seen around in a LONG time(This list is biased to the GI Joe and GD boards):

- Chazz

- SKARAPZ

- Sith

- Tank-Girl

- Darren (I think his original UN was Cobra Commander...he was Nightcreeper's brother)

- Nightcreeper

- Doc Evil

- Venal4

- DarthMaul33

- Degato

- Dustin (1846D7M8)

- Beach Head

- Blackmada

- NMX

- Catter

- HPZ

- RJBrian

- Iceman

- ladyliquid

- CCav

- CHA

- Marvel_Joe_Spider

- Cobia123

- Riker

- Mandolorian30

- Cyber Bear

- firestongue

- Koga

- Skybytethesharkiest

- halfrican3

- Samas Aran

- teelu20

- Three Storms

Sometimes I wonder if members are okay when they were really active here, and all of the sudden are just gone. Doc Evil is one I worry about in particular...

Doc's good! He and I have a trade workin' for about 20 years now @loll@ I've got stuffed buried in storage that he's interested in and I'm too lazy to go digging until absolutely necessary, but he keeps up with me.

• Like 4

Hazing? What kind?

Mostly verbal abuse from Clam. @lol@

I remember back in '04 if you wanted to be excepted, you had to POST YOUR PIC. Remember that thread? It still pops up from time to time.

Anyways, you had to post your pic so that some photoshop artist could mess with your pic, just to see if you would get mad. You were a victim of that several times with your three-some with Pat and Chazz.

How can I be the victim when I was the one who photoshopped those pics? ;) @loll@

I bet you still have that somewhere

Indeed.

Two's a party:

djandsslovemuffins.jpg

Three's a crowd:

djchazzandsslovemuffins.jpg

And some things make you puke in your mouth:

vhandclam.jpg

@loll@

@loll@ @loll@ @loll@ @loll@ @loll@ @loll@

Too bad we all became boring stick-in-muds! We use to have some good fun (at each others expense) and had a blast.

• Like 4

I found the boards b/c of Joe, RodimusPrimal. He brought me here a month after we started dating and I was hooked! haha

I find it amazing that I've been on here almost 6 years. You guys are almost like family to me now. Crazy!

Agreed. Even the people I argue with a lot on here I consider good friends. :P

I regret a lot of my heated arguments with everyone here, and I know I get too damn stubborn and opinionated for my own good, and have pushed a lot of people away from me for that very reason. I'm not as bad as I come across on here though, and that's the thing I regret, because I'm much more entertaining about it in person, but that's hard to translate over to the written word.

Still though, even the best of friends butt heads and have disagreements from time to time and the reason we can still call them friends is because we know we're all still human and make mistakes. :)

• Like 4

Oh well I'm not planning on closing shop any time soon and also just want to clarify above. I don't like the term Veterans as stated above but I do very much appreciate all of you guys who visit us here and have been doing so for years. There are a lot of frustrating things I have to deal with in this job but one of the great things is seeing you guys, many of you who were like teenagers when you first came here now all grown up with jobs and families and stuff. Its great to know this site and these boards could be apart of your lives even if its in some small way, and it's always great when I get to meet you all at cons and stuff and put faces to the names ect ect (just ask Tom-1). I have never pretended to think what we do here on ENI is earth changing stuff or that we do Pulitzer prize journalism, but if I've been able to help you all enjoy this hobby more in some way, then I know i've done my job which always feels good. So my thanks to you all for making this one of your Cyber home all these year or even if your new to the site.

plusonea.jpg

• Like 3

I'm just here for the chips and dip!

Wha'd you call me?? @smilepunch@

• Like 3

I don't like the term Veterans as stated above but I do very much appreciate all of you guys who visit us here and have been doing so for years.

I prefer the term Veteran to some one who has been here a few years and has contributed to this web sight with generous post. In other words ANYONE can be a Veteran. I HATE the title being used as "Elitists" myself.

I will state again that the term Veteran should be more of a pat on the back for years of contributing, not some elite society that happened to stumble here first. :rolleyes:

@loll@

I agree.

I too do not like the usage of the word "Veterans" here. As stated in my previous post, the term used in the tni forums, I assume, applies to certain people who stood out for whatever reason.

To clarify, some of the people who are considered "veterans" are simply posters who posted here for a brief time, but were loud, hence being noted. In my opinion, that makes the "Vet" title more of an elistist title. Not to name names, but what makes poster X more notable than poster Z?

I also noticed that most of the "vets" are people who post on the gi joe forums. With that said, what makes a gi joe tnier more special than a DC tnier?

With that said. I never viewed myself as a "veteran" since the word on eni applies more of an elitist rank that means nothing but to booast ego.

For the most part, I mainly lurk nowadays, but I do make some comments (maybe 10-15 a week?) whenever there is a thread that interest me, so I do agree w/ JayC that the atmosphere on tni has changed.

I also like new posters comming to the forum since they give a new perceptive about the toys they collect. I also like the posters who come here for help about identifyin a toy they had when they were younger

I don't like the term Veterans as stated above but I do very much appreciate all of you guys who visit us here and have been doing so for years.

I prefer the term Veteran to some one who has been here a few years and has contributed to this web sight with generous post. In other words ANYONE can be a Veteran. I HATE the title being used as "Elitists" myself.

I will state again that the term Veteran should be more of a pat on the back for years of contributing, not some elite society that happened to stumble here first. :rolleyes:

Or to those who post on a specific section of the message board. The forum here is very big, so having it apply to those who post on a small section of a big message board seems very elitist, imo

Or to those who post on a specific section of the message board. The forum here is very big, so having it apply to those who post on a small section of a big message board seems very elitist, imo

No no no. That's not what I mean either. There are many members that only post in the Wrestling or Joe forums. You don't have to post in the "General Argument" section to be noticed. @lol@

Doom Saber, you are a long-long time vet of TNI. Nuff said. @wink@

What's all the hub bub about "veterans"? Do people in the military get so defensive like this, when they're in the presence of other "veterans" and feel belittled by them somehow?

You guys are starting to sound a little too PC-ish on this issue over a mere word, that should have NO negative connotation to it whatsoever. What better way is there to describe the members who have been here for a long time....as "old timers"? Is that really any better?

Geeesh, you say veteran and it's like "AWW F@#K YOU man...who the heck do you think you are, you ain't nothing, take your post count and shove it!" :o huh?

I can understand the issue with the tern "NEWBIE" but how using something like the word "veteran" is sounding too "elitist" is beyond me. It's not a knock on anyone it's just a proper word to describe some of the, of the, well..of the OLD TIMERS! @haha@

I can't help it that I've been here for as long as I have, yet I see that fact of the mater used AGAINST me sometimes, as though I think I'm all that and a bag of chips because of it. Well, for everybody's information, I thought that before I even joined ADC! @smilepunch@

People are too insecure and sensitive I guess, and worry about the dumbest sh@# sometimes. Even if you go out and start a new job, you're going to be the new guy on the block and have to go thru the learning curve and get to know the lay of the land and learn about not only the job but the people you work with, and yes, it's a very nerve racking period, but once you get there and settle in, it's all good. If they have a 10 year anniversary party for one of the OLD TIMERS, does everybody get all indignant and act like "BIG DEAL, that don't mean NUTHIN!" <_<

It's like a child that doesn't like their other siblings getting special attention or something, even if it's a sweet 16 birthday party and they don't think it's FAIR that they get all this attention. Well, when the little snot turns 16 themselves, they'll get the same.

I only post in the Joes forum, the old GD forum, and now the "General Argument" (I like that) forum, so despite my tenure here, I haven't spread the wealth enough to be referred to as a ADC/TNI veteran I guess, was that the inclination?

VETERAN!! @cussing@

Jay, honestly, thank you for this post.

I was gonna reply to your first post here, as I thought it was a bit harsh towards what I thought was a pretty tongue-in-cheek attitude in this thread. I could see how why you would take a defensive attitude towards it though, as this website is your baby, and you've done all the hard work.

Thanks for giving us all a great place to come together to share our hobbies, interests, and even to argue (since some of us obviously love that too @lol@). Those of us who have been here for the better half of a decade all obviously enjoy our own little corner of the internet that you've created for us...let's hope it can continue for another decade or better.

We all might b*tch about decisions you've made, but don't take it personal, as most of us realize business is business, and you have to do what you have to do to keep things running...but it's human nature to resist change, so it's gonna happen...like I said though, don't take it personal. None of us would even be here if it weren't for your ideas and ambition. :)

Doc's good! He and I have a trade workin' for about 20 years now @loll@ I've got stuffed buried in storage that he's interested in and I'm too lazy to go digging until absolutely necessary, but he keeps up with me.

Good! Glad to hear it.

Next time you talk to him, tell him to send me a pm sometime on here...I'd love to catch up with him.

Ya, sorry, you're still not a vet Cap, so stop pushing the issue. @smilepunch@ @loll@

I kid, I kid. ;)