Does anyone think we'll ever see a surprise wave of DCUC?

HarryWildman

... if they were strictly aimed at the collector market they'd be sold in comics shops only like DC Direct.

If Walmart is willing to give this line peg space, Mattel isn't going to say no. That said, Mattel is definitely aiming this line at collectors. You don't stick 80's Vigilante in a toy line aimed at the mass market.

Well, yeah, no sh!t. That's pretty much what I already said.

No. You said some nonsense about Mattel only selling these things in comic shops if they were aiming them strictly at collectors. Check the quote above.

Lol ok Internet Tough Guy. I guess the way I said it was stupid compared to your superior wording. It's "nonsense" because you don't agree. We DID both say that Mattel is obviously aware that older collectors purchase most DCUC figures, and that they cater to that market. So you can save that pretentious "nonsense" crap and cut out the bullying. You're another one of these idiots who always have to have the last word or your fragile ego won't survive.

At any rate, it's a pointless argument. On the original DCUC packaging prior to Wave 12, and on the packaging of the previous DCSH figures, they clearly put the "4+" labeling on there. They did remove it on the packaging redesign that began with Wave 12 and replace it with the "adult collector" wording. So at least SOME of DCUC are intended for an all ages market, right? To argue anything else would be to suggest that Mattel was originally trying to mislead consumers, and despite my disappointment with some of their business practices, I don't think that is the case here.

• Like 2

Lol ok Internet Tough Guy. I guess the way I said it was stupid compared to your superior wording. It's "nonsense" because you don't agree.

No. It was nonsense because it wasn't true. It wasn't about the wording. I had the opposite and correct viewpoint.

You're another one of these idiots who always have to have the last word or your fragile ego won't survive.

You're the one throwing the hissy fit because I corrected you.

At any rate, it's a pointless argument. On the original DCUC packaging prior to Wave 12, and on the packaging of the previous DCSH figures, they clearly put the "4+" labeling on there. They did remove it on the packaging redesign that began with Wave 12 and replace it with the "adult collector" wording. So at least SOME of DCUC are intended for an all ages market, right? To argue anything else would be to suggest that Mattel was originally trying to mislead consumers, and despite my disappointment with some of their business practices, I don't think that is the case here.

That copy on the packages is meaningless. Just about ALL toys have some sort of age guideline on them because after all, these are toys and they might catch the eye of some kid somewhere along the line. As I said before, Mattel will take their money too. With the new packaging and the "adult collector" tag though, Mattel is dropping any pretense that these figures are aimed at kids or even the general public. If you're trying to reel in non-comic book fans, you don't do so with Jemm the Son of Saturn or Kamandi. Sure. If some kid buys one along the way, great, but Mattel knows damn well who they're going after with a Golden Pharaoh.

Harry Wildman said:

"Yeah if they were strictly aimed at the collector market they'd be sold in comics shops only like DC Direct. They wouldn't put an ages 4+ label on the packaging and sell them in retail stores.

However, they DO know that they are being purchased mostly by older collectors."

Master Jailer said:

"If Walmart is willing to give this line peg space, Mattel isn't going to say no. That said, Mattel is definitely aiming this line at collectors. You don't stick 80's Vigilante in a toy line aimed at the mass market."

Sounds like you both think Mattel is aiming the line at collectors. Master Jailer selective editing strikes again.

Feel free to respond to prove this Harry statement correct as well:

"You're another one of these idiots who always have to have the last word or your fragile ego won't survive."

• Like 1

Harry Wildman said:

"Yeah if they were strictly aimed at the collector market they'd be sold in comics shops only like DC Direct. They wouldn't put an ages 4+ label on the packaging and sell them in retail stores.

However, they DO know that they are being purchased mostly by older collectors."

Master Jailer said:

"If Walmart is willing to give this line peg space, Mattel isn't going to say no. That said, Mattel is definitely aiming this line at collectors. You don't stick 80's Vigilante in a toy line aimed at the mass market."

Sounds like you both think Mattel is aiming the line at collectors. Master Jailer selective editing strikes again.

Feel free to respond to prove this Harry statement correct as well:

"You're another one of these idiots who always have to have the last word or your fragile ego won't survive."

This was your big "GOTCHA" moment? All you did was to underscore how you missed my point... and you even used boldfaced type to make sure everyone knew you missed my point! Good one!

Naah.

The ARES WAVE of HASBRO LEGENDS was merely a way to suck more $$ out of LEGENDS fans who still craved 6" plastic-goodness. It was also kind of a swan-song to any real innovation in the LEGENDS line.

The plan when HASBRO acquired the license was ALWAYS to convert MARVEL figures to a 3-3/4" line. They just didn't want to do it right away, and risk alienating too many fans. So they did the ARES WAVE to cover for the anticipated shortfall in sales that resulted from the switch-over.

Of course, it makes one wonder why they never thought that mediocre sculpts, piss-poor paint apps, and too-small figures would alienate fans - like me, for instance.

I tried to like HASBRO LEGENDS - I really tried - but they sucked. In fact, by the time HASBRO finally released the NEMESIS WAVE, I had lost all interest in them.

Personally, I'd love it if MATTEL issued a "surpise!" wave...I just don't see it happening.

I like how inventive they(mattel) have been. I agree kids are about viedo games and what not but I feel your talking about kids who are older 11 12 an on. If the dc brands was aimed at the 6,7,8 year olds, start them early like they did with us.

How cool would it be to see a DCUC batman slideing down a zip line and knocking joker off the roof. Or gentelman ghost. Superman (being held by the foot) flying into lex from the 5 pack. Get kids jazzed about this stuff again. To hell with pokiemon or yugo etc. Where did this crap come from anyway.

Lets get back to basics. Boys like action figures lets get them back on tv.

definately not! With all the complaining about not being able to find what is announced, do you really think Mattel want to piss off collectors further with a wave they dont know about and most likely will never find?

Some of you guys are misinterpreting the idea of this topic. I didn't ask, "Do you WANT to see a surprise wave of DCUC", I asked if you think they'll ever spring a surprise "bonus" wave on us. I still think it could happen. And who knows, it might not even be hard to find. I hate that I went to so much trouble early on to get Wave 10... look how easy it was to get later on. Many people can still go get a Wave 10 Power Girl from a nearby Walmart if they wanted one.

And yeah, I kinda think they do want to get people into a fit over these things sometimes lol. I mean, to be serious about it, it's a really tough call. But yeah, sure, why the hell not. As many people say over and over, no matter how upset they make us, we'll still buy stuff most of the time. I mean, are you really gonna be upset if around the holidays they stock up Walmart good with an entire "surprise" wave? You know, a few early posters on a site or two report seeing them and eventually those reports are confirmed and people are excited about figures they can actually easily find. That would be some cool sh!t to happen man, I don't see why anyone would be down on that idea. I mean wow being able to buy some silly toys without developing high blood pressure or ulcers, damn that's terrible.

And as for knowing about it all well in advance, what the hell difference would it make? Is knowing somehow increasing your chances of adding them to your collection? If so, explain how it works to me, I need all the help I can get. The people who have said that advanced hype is a form of viral marketing were right on the money as far as that's concerned. And let's get something out of the way right now... if you somehow think that I'm a corporate Mattel stooge who's testing the waters to see how people feel about an unnanounced wave, hahahah, that's rich. Oh man, nothing could be farther from the truth. There may be posters here that have inside knowledge, I know a lot of the regulars at this and other boards work at retail and in the industry but I'm certainly not one of them.

I dig the sentiment that has been expressed about wanting younger audiences to enjoy DCUC figures. That's cool. But to tell you the truth, I could care less if younger people are interested in DCUC. I do kind of think of them as being for "adult collectors", older teens on up to those of us in our fifies or sixties or beyond. However they are for anyone to enjoy. They're not Revoltechs or Hot Toys. But as for stuff for younger consumers, that's exactly what DC Super Friends, Batman The Brave and the Bold and such lines are created for; younger consumers. Of course, anyone of all ages can collect them too if they want too. I don't really want any of the Super Friends stuff I've seen but I get some of the Batman Brave and the Bold figures if I think they did a good job with them. I bought Plas, Grundy and Joker from that line and I'd like to have one each of all of the main good guys. I'd like to see a Ted Kord in that line.

As for the Marvel Legends stuff, I certainly agree that they dropped the ball and cut corners in a lot of ways, but that seems bizarre and nonsensical to me that Hasbro would put millions of dollars of Marvel Legends into production just to see it fail so they can persuade people into getting into the 3.75 scale. Not everything Hasbro has done with ML so far has sucked. But it would be nice as the original creator of action figures if they'd take a little more pride in the ML property. 3.75 might be their specialty and not 6" scale, but they've got Legends and have had it for a while now so restore it to its former glory or make it even better than it was hahah.

And as for knowing about it all well in advance, what the hell difference would it make? Is knowing somehow increasing your chances of adding them to your collection? If so, explain how it works to me, I need all the help I can get. The people who have said that advanced hype is a form of viral marketing were right on the money as far as that's concerned.

Knowing in advance lets you plan your strategy to get the figures. Really no other way to say it than that. You can let friends now that you want the figures and when they are due to appear so they can jump on them for you.

Communication is a two-way street though....what serves you, also serves your "competition", be them casual consumers, other collectors, or scalpers, and the latter two definitely make note of the same info.

Knowing in advance does help, because if you are not aware of the figures you can easily miss them. The Walmart 6" Iron Man figures came up here, but I was fortunate to get to a local Walmart here to buy one--a trip I make only about once a month. As in many place, the War Machine figure sold out quite quickly, and if I had not know it was up here.....I would have missed out.

As for the Marvel Legends stuff, I certainly agree that they dropped the ball and cut corners in a lot of ways, but that seems bizarre and nonsensical to me that Hasbro would put millions of dollars of Marvel Legends into production just to see it fail so they can persuade people into getting into the 3.75 scale. Not everything Hasbro has done with ML so far has sucked. But it would be nice as the original creator of action figures if they'd take a little more pride in the ML property. 3.75 might be their specialty and not 6" scale, but they've got Legends and have had it for a while now so restore it to its former glory or make it even better than it was hahah

ML is far from dead, imo. The aforementioned Iron Man 2 figures are in ML 6" scale, and they are excellent product. They may as well be Marvel Legends, and I personally choose to consider them as such, even if they are not labelled specifically as such. Hasbro brought their A-game to those figures for sure--I think they really are that good.

ML is just taking second place to MU--and it makes sense why. The options for talked-about vehicles, the comic packs.....they are getting good mileage out of essentially re-treaded character in the smaller scale. I always thought the addition of comics just plussed the value of the figures, and lamented Toy-Biz's decision to bin the comics. It works great with the two packs, and off-sets the higher price-point.

But for me......ML is still the king. I'd like to see more.....but I'm okay with the amounts coming out.

• Like 1

And as for knowing about it all well in advance, what the hell difference would it make? Is knowing somehow increasing your chances of adding them to your collection? If so, explain how it works to me, I need all the help I can get. The people who have said that advanced hype is a form of viral marketing were right on the money as far as that's concerned.

Knowing in advance lets you plan your strategy to get the figures. Really no other way to say it than that. You can let friends now that you want the figures and when they are due to appear so they can jump on them for you.

Communication is a two-way street though....what serves you, also serves your "competition", be them casual consumers, other collectors, or scalpers, and the latter two definitely make note of the same info.

Knowing in advance does help, because if you are not aware of the figures you can easily miss them. The Walmart 6" Iron Man figures came up here, but I was fortunate to get to a local Walmart here to buy one--a trip I make only about once a month. As in many place, the War Machine figure sold out quite quickly, and if I had not know it was up here.....I would have missed out.

Well, that's valid. But you said it exactly, though; what serves you, also serves the competition. I'm talking more of like a fantasy scenario where there'd be so many of each figure at any given store that even a well funded scalper couldn't take all the local stock in one swoop. You wouldn't have to worry about networking, unless one simply liked doing so.

As for the Marvel Legends stuff, I certainly agree that they dropped the ball and cut corners in a lot of ways, but that seems bizarre and nonsensical to me that Hasbro would put millions of dollars of Marvel Legends into production just to see it fail so they can persuade people into getting into the 3.75 scale. Not everything Hasbro has done with ML so far has sucked. But it would be nice as the original creator of action figures if they'd take a little more pride in the ML property. 3.75 might be their specialty and not 6" scale, but they've got Legends and have had it for a while now so restore it to its former glory or make it even better than it was hahah

ML is far from dead, imo. The aforementioned Iron Man 2 figures are in ML 6" scale, and they are excellent product. They may as well be Marvel Legends, and I personally choose to consider them as such, even if they are not labelled specifically as such. Hasbro brought their A-game to those figures for sure--I think they really are that good.

ML is just taking second place to MU--and it makes sense why. The options for talked-about vehicles, the comic packs.....they are getting good mileage out of essentially re-treaded character in the smaller scale. I always thought the addition of comics just plussed the value of the figures, and lamented Toy-Biz's decision to bin the comics. It works great with the two packs, and off-sets the higher price-point.

But for me......ML is still the king. I'd like to see more.....but I'm okay with the amounts coming out.

That's me, as long as they continue to release something. I'd hate for there to have been all that hype around the upcoming box sets and then they never release the damn things, or leave them in limbo like the Nemesis wave was.