Does anyone think we'll ever see a surprise wave of DCUC?

HarryWildman

I thought the Ares Wave from ML had a lot of early notification--I don't think it was just sprung on all of us.

In any case......nope. I don't think a surprise wave would happen. Companies like Mattel seem to like having the build-up in interest to a wave, and the info usually gets leaked early anyway.

I thought the Ares Wave from ML had a lot of early notification--I don't think it was just sprung on all of us.

In any case......nope. I don't think a surprise wave would happen. Companies like Mattel seem to like having the build-up in interest to a wave, and the info usually gets leaked early anyway.

Agreed also we the collectors will hound mattel till they give us a peek lol. Although the toys r us exclusives are the answer to this question.They just seemed to start popping up

I guess not...The possible new info we could look forward to is the rumored GL sub line, maybe a 5 pack and some matty collector news. Wave 15 could have been the main news, but we already know Martian Manhunter is coming.

With Mattel's distribution??? Could you imagine???

Matty: "Hey, Everyone! We JUST released a surprise Classic Robin Wave! It's out there RIGHT NOW! Go get it!"

The Fans: "REALLY??? WOW!"

The One WalMart in Peoria to get this wave: "We've sold out and we're not getting anymore."

The Fans: "Gee, Matty! Help us out! Will we ever see this surprise wave again?"

Matty: "Well, we have to see. We can't say right now. If there's enough fan support, but we can't say anything just yet. It's all in WalMart's hands, so check with them. We have no control over this. It's up to the fans, but we're looking at how we could do this, if there's enough fan support... The numbers just aren't there..."

• Like 1

Matty: "Hey, Everyone! We JUST released a surprise Classic Robin Wave! It's out there RIGHT NOW! Go get it!"

The One WalMart in Peoria to get this wave: "We've sold out and we're not getting anymore."

Matty: "Well, we have to see. We can't say right now. If there's enough fan support, but we can't say anything just yet. It's all in WalMart's hands, so check with them. We have no control over this. It's up to the fans, but we're looking at how we could do this, if there's enough fan support... The numbers just aren't there..."

Pretty much!

Have you ever wondered why you never see a DCUC commercial, or print-ad, or even see a sale listed in a store circular?

Mattel also realizes that this line is strictly aimed at a very, very exclusive niche market and such advertising would be a waste.

Some good replies so far. Thanks.

The Ares wave was kind of a surprise to me. I think it was a surprise for a lot of people in the sense that I think most people expected to see the Nemesis wave released before a new assortment of figures was revealed. That is the context in which I meant it was a surprise.

I agree that it is something that we are more than fifteen assortments into this collectible toy series, and there's not even been a Super Powers tribute style print ad in the modern comics! Not one advertisement, that I'm aware of anyway. There's people that would probably buy a copy of a random book just for that advertisement. By this point DCSH/DCUC has to have generated millions of dollars. You'd think there might be an ad to showcase them, even if they didn't need to spend the money on advertising.

The only fault I find in the "no sense in springing a surprise wave on us" logic is that, if they WERE to announce a surprise wave at SDCC or whatever, because of all the fervor created by all the "leaked"rolleyes.gif information, the excitement generated by an assortment that no one already knew about might cause several collectors to spontaneously combust, therefore hurting sales. But not by much, because any extras left behind by the collectors who spontaneously combusted would probably be swooped up by a local scalper.

Anyway, what noname said about the All Star repaints kind of qualifies as a surprise wave. They also somehow managed to keep the nude Cheetahs under wraps. Or accidental early shipment of more to come, or whatever.

Have you ever wondered why you never see a DCUC commercial, or print-ad, or even see a sale listed in a store circular?

Mattel also realizes that this line is strictly aimed at a very, very exclusive niche market and such advertising would be a waste.

I disagree. Yes the DCUC line is aimed at us the adult collector but i think marketing to the younger generation would not only help sales but keep dc viable for many years to come.

Thats one thing that got me into the DC line. Watching the commericals for the super powers batmobile crashing through the wall and grabbing the joker Or superman punching lex. And i think the kids today could benifit from more ads like that.

I disagree. Yes the DCUC line is aimed at us the adult collector but i think marketing to the younger generation would not only help sales but keep dc viable for many years to come.

Thats one thing that got me into the DC line. Watching the commericals for the super powers batmobile crashing through the wall and grabbing the joker Or superman punching lex. And i think the kids today could benifit from more ads like that.

Yeah if they were strictly aimed at the collector market they'd be sold in comics shops only like DC Direct. They wouldn't put an ages 4+ label on the packaging and sell them in retail stores.

However, they DO know that they are being purchased mostly by older collectors.

I fear toys aren't really super relevant to most kids these days, much like comic books.

They've been replaced with video games, which no longer engage self created narrative and theater of the mind.

Comics flounder despite the success of movies and video games.

Hell, just look at how prevalent licensed Lego is these days. The ultimate imagination toy pigeon holed by licensing. Blech!

The times they are'a changing.

• Like 1

Ha ha! Kudos to you sir!

I fear toys aren't really super relevant to most kids these days, much like comic books.

They've been replaced with video games, which no longer engage self created narrative and theater of the mind.

Comics flounder despite the success of movies and video games.

Hell, just look at how prevalent licensed Lego is these days. The ultimate imagination toy pigeon holed by licensing. Blech!

The times they are'a changing.

That is the result of a media-saturated society. Toy companies have observed for years now that the play patterns of the toys they make are heavily influenced by the media kids are exposed to--so much so that if the kids haven't seen a show about the characters, they tend to not know how to play with the toy.

Its a shame really, given that one of the biggest communication tools in a child's life these days is a computer, and it takes just seconds to find information on these characters.

The funny things is that kids DO know prominent mainstream characters like Batman of Spider-man, but that knowledge doesn't seem to be affecting the growing lack of interest in action figures of those characters.

Kids simply get more stimulus from living vicariously through the characters via video games, than they do their own imagination and playing with the toys in their own play scenarios. Our modern culture seems to offer no encouragement or incentive to exercise one's own imagination.

As a creator always coaching the upcoming generation in creative arts, I find that unsettling.

• Like 1

Kids simply get more stimulus from living vicariously through the characters via video games, than they do their own imagination and playing with the toys in their own play scenarios. Our modern culture seems to offer no encouragement or incentive to exercise one's own imagination.

As a creator always coaching the upcoming generation in creative arts, I find that unsettling.

On the up side, that will leave the door wide open for the remaining creative types. Though the persons holding the purse strings will likely be doofuses like Michael Bay who's more interested in trashing established franchises (Transformers) and doing redundant remakes of classic horror flicks.

Keep those old franchises and trademarks alive. To hell with new ideas, or say adapting other novels to film. :P

Fan1: Line has been cancelled

Fan2: Let's all send hate emails to Matty and stop buying their toys!!! That'll get them to release more and couldn't possible cause them to cancel the line altogether!!!

Fan3: I'm selling off entire collection!!!!!!!!!!

Fan4: DC sucks, marvel rules! Hasbro never has these problems and TB figs were cheaper with larger BAFs!

Fan5: Can't find em, guess I missed em. That sux.

Fan5 1 week later: Can't find em, guess I missed em. That sux.

Fan5 1 day later: Found em. Delete this thread now.

• Like 1

... if they were strictly aimed at the collector market they'd be sold in comics shops only like DC Direct.

If Walmart is willing to give this line peg space, Mattel isn't going to say no. That said, Mattel is definitely aiming this line at collectors. You don't stick 80's Vigilante in a toy line aimed at the mass market.

Mattel should just do a surprise wave of figures based on the Grand Theft Auto games or Call of Duty, I'll bet ya kids of all ages would be lining in the stores for these. That would make Mattel some profits.

... if they were strictly aimed at the collector market they'd be sold in comics shops only like DC Direct.

If Walmart is willing to give this line peg space, Mattel isn't going to say no. That said, Mattel is definitely aiming this line at collectors. You don't stick 80's Vigilante in a toy line aimed at the mass market.

Well, yeah, no sh!t. That's pretty much what I already said.

Well, yeah, no sh!t. That's pretty much what I already said.

No. You said some nonsense about Mattel only selling these things in comic shops if they were aiming them strictly at collectors. Check the quote above.

• Like 1