20 members have voted

1. 1. Which toyline should I choose?

• Marvel Minimates
    • Marvel Universe and other 4 inch scale Marvel lines
    • Continue buying the occasional DC Universe classics figure
    • Wait for Hasbro Marvel Legends to possibly return
    • Petition for SOTA to make Marvel action figures
    • Marvel Selects

Before I begin, I should let you know that my favorite Marvel characters are 80-90's era xmen, and Spidey.

I can't choose what to spend my money on, so I haven't bought anything in a while. I'm thinking I may finally cave soon, but I cant choose which scale I should resume collecting in. I only purchased a few Mini-mates sets (archangel vs apocalypse, spidey and shocker, spidey and venom) but I have been pleased with all of them. I feel like I could collect complete teams from different eras if i collected Mini-mates. Also, every time I see a new set appear I usually like the choice of characters and they are always done well. However, I feel like they a cost a bit much for what they are, considering I would be buying them from online retailers.

My second obvious choice would be Marvel Universe figures. I only have 2 4-inch scale figures, and both of them are sort of disappointing in my eyes. I purchased the movie series Iron Man MK IV (or VI, I cant really tell the difference), and the comic series War Machine. I am really regret buying the iron man, while I am only partly satisfied with War Machine (his articulation is hindered by Hasbro's weird one direction at a time ball joints and his should pads). This makes me weary of buying any other MU figures, since War Machine is supposed to be one of the best from what I have read. I have seen the recent Juggernaut, Colossus, and Archangel figures, and they look like they may be alright, but I really don't want to start a new collection and be disappointed by the majority of the figures I purchase..

I started collecting DCUC figures when they were first released, but I stopped at around wave 6, since I didn't really like enough of the character choices to warrant purchasing a whole wave. Before you ask, yes, I can't resist completing the BAF if I own even just one piece. Should I just sporadically buy the one figure from every few waves that I like, and melt the baf pieces? Should I just give up on Marvel?

Last real option is to go with Marvel Selects. Yes they cost more, and fewer are released each year, but they do have amazing detail, and the articulation has been getting better. I own a Daredevil, Bucky Cap, Cyclops, and Sabretooth, and am looking into possibly getting Juggernaut, Unmasked Wolverine and Deadpool. The larger figures from this line especially look great on a shelf.

Or I could just quit collecting figures. So considering the factors Ive named and your own opinions, what do you all think I should start/continue collecting? Also, would anyone be willing to petition with me to get SOTA to do some Marvel figures?

From your choices, the one I'd pick would be to wait for the occasional 6'' ML figure to trickle out.

They already have most, if not all of the 80s and 90s era X-Men and Spidey figures you like as well as most of the MU already in 6'' form. Of course, we're probably not going to see modern versions of charaters from ML any time soon, but I would imagine 6'' versions will probably be made some day...either by Hasbro getting off their @$$ or by the license going to another company (Toy Biz!!!)

I'm not a fan of any of the other lines you mentioned. Marvel Select gives you maybe a half dozen figures a year at $20 each(!)which is not worth it to me, MU is OK but you're basically buying all your Marvel Legends over again only this time you're paying the same price for a figure 1/4 the size, and mini mates are just dumb (IMO).

If nothing else, wait for GI Joe to come back! Some good stuff on the way :)

• Like 2

From your choices, the one I'd pick would be to wait for the occasional 6'' ML figure to trickle out.

They already have most, if not all of the 80s and 90s era X-Men and Spidey figures you like as well as most of the MU already in 6'' form. Of course, we're probably not going to see modern versions of charaters from ML any time soon, but I would imagine 6'' versions will probably be made some day...either by Hasbro getting off their @$$ or by the license going to another company (Toy Biz!!!)

I'm not a fan of any of the other lines you mentioned. Marvel Select gives you maybe a half dozen figures a year at $20 each(!)which is not worth it to me, MU is OK but you're basically buying all your Marvel Legends over again only this time you're paying the same price for a figure 1/4 the size, and mini mates are just dumb (IMO).

If nothing else, wait for GI Joe to come back! Some good stuff on the way smile.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself!! very well put, points up to you.lol

• Like 1

My advice:

What do you enjoy the most? What gives you the greatest pleasure and satisfaction in collecting?

Stick with that.

Don't collect just for the sake of it--that's a hollow pursuit. Collect what stimulates you.

Don't stop collecting either, because that's not win-win and there's just no fun it it.

Spread things out, go slower and enjoy it all more.

• Like 1

if you already collected all the MLs from Toybiz and Hasbro I say you stick with that and just wait for the occasional 2pack release.

if you start collecting Marvel Universe, you are putting yourself in a position to collect all those ML figures you already have and trying to catch up with the line. I think it's already in it's 9th wave (Juggernaut, Colossus etc). but if you're ok with that then go for it.

as for me, I'm sticking with MLs and DCU for now.

I say wait for the Marvel Legends to trickle out. You're saving money until then, and buying the inferior Marvel Universe figures only encourages Hasbro to keep making crappy, subpar toys that only less discerning collectors salivate over.

If you're jonesing and HAVE to spend money, buy the DCUC that you like. One, it lets Mattel know you appreciate they haven't forsaken the 6" collectors market the way Hasbro has, and 2. Hasbro doesn't get your money because they aren't making Marvel Legends.

If you just start collecting something random for the sake of collecting, you will look back in about a year and be like, "Wow, what a waste of money". Trust me, I have had friends do the same thing you are doing and they end up wishing they had the $1000 or so back instead of a line they really care nothing about.

With that being said, I say stick to your guns and keep going with the DC Universe, or wait for ML to release more. And if you absolutely HAVE to start collecting a different line, I say go Marvel Select. They are amazing. The Marvel Universe is also a good line. Just don't go for the Minimates lol.

Thanks for all the input. Sorry I took so long to reply, Ive been shopping. I noticed that the results were pretty even, so I pretty much dabbled in a little bit of everything. I bought a DCUC Superboy, All-Star Superman (I still had the DC Superheroes version), Mongol vs Hank Henshaw 2 pack, and Im looking for the pieces to complete my Metallo (I only found Riddler at retail way back when).

On the marvel legends side, I picked up Snap shot Spidey finally, and ML 13 Green Goblin. Not that overwhelming, I know. I'm just trying to satiate my appetite until something new comes out. I might pick up the new 6" War Machine and Iron Man if I can find them at a good price.

I was most suprised by the GI Joe stuff. I sort of have a love-hate relationship with GI Joe. Whenever there's a relaunch, I'm excited for the first 2 or three waves, but I usually get tired of it because of constant uninspired repaints. Happened with Joe vs Cobra, Valor vs Venom, and the 25th anniversary stuff. Ive avoided Joe like the plague since the first shot of the "accelerator suit" from the movie surfaced. I figured the new figures would be the same character, just with different proportions (like every joe relaunch). Boy was I suprised when I saw the new Pursuit of Cobra figures! I actually want the majority of the figures. I'm putting some on pre-order, and I am ordering a few Rise of Cobra figures (they are on clearance at bbts) to get me excited.

So, I noticed, despite my reluctance, that Universe got a few votes as well. As a test, I purchased (along with my Rise of Cobra figures) 1 secret wars two-pack. I bought the Cap vs Klaw pack. I figure if I cant like a classic Captain America figure, then I wont like any of the figures they release. If anything, I can just make all my random joes in reactive armor into SHIELD agents with Cap as their leader.

Oh, I didnt get any minmates though. I think that if I started getting minimates I would have to go all in. If I get these figures and then get buyer's remorse when I see them, then I will start collecting Minimates.

I say quit collecting. It sounds as if you can't stop yourself from it. It's one thing to be a completist or to want to have all your favorite characters in plastic form, but when you can't be satisfied when a line has put out most figures it can (marvel legends) and you just have to be buying something for the sake of it (even if you don't really like the figures as it seems to be the case), I'd say you might have a problem, of course it is your money, but I would actually try to analize the situation.

I say quit collecting. It sounds as if you can't stop yourself from it. It's one thing to be a completist or to want to have all your favorite characters in plastic form, but when you can't be satisfied when a line has put out most figures it can (marvel legends) and you just have to be buying something for the sake of it (even if you don't really like the figures as it seems to be the case), I'd say you might have a problem, of course it is your money, but I would actually try to analize the situation.

I don't think that's a very fair accusation to make at all. I hadn't bought anything in months, and most of the time I see something I like, I still don't buy it (I just save the money). I only spend around 200-250 dollars a year on figures (which is less than 1 percent of my income). I only have (high estimate) 110 figures in total. That includes all my minimates, K'NEX, sota street fighter (bought on clearance), marvel legends and spiderman classics, toybiz xmen from the 90's, 1 dc direct 13" Batman (got it for 20 bucks), 1 MEDICOM RAH Cyclops (clearance priced at 45 dollars),neca ninja turtles, old gi joes, 3 masters of the universe remake figures, mcfarlane solid snake, and dc universe. I didn't even buy any T2 figures because they didn't articulate the legs (and Terminator 2 was one of my favorite movies growing up). Im pretty sure I have self-control.

I don't know what I said that made you think I have some sort of addiction - I only wanted to get back into collecting Marvel figures again and wanted everyone's opinions on how to go about it. But I suppouse I should thank you. I realized that I don't really care about this hobby anyway; they're just toys. I can't cancel my ebay purchases, but I canceled my bbts order and didnt go through with my Pursuit of Cobra pre-orders. I can use the money to pay for my application fees.

I don't think that's a very fair accusation to make at all. I hadn't bought anything in months, and most of the time I see something I like, I still don't buy it (I just save the money). I only spend around 200-250 dollars a year on figures (which is less than 1 percent of my income). I only have (high estimate) 110 figures in total. That includes all my minimates, K'NEX, sota street fighter (bought on clearance), marvel legends and spiderman classics, toybiz xmen from the 90's, 1 dc direct 13" Batman (got it for 20 bucks), 1 MEDICOM RAH Cyclops (clearance priced at 45 dollars),neca ninja turtles, old gi joes, 3 masters of the universe remake figures, mcfarlane solid snake, and dc universe. I didn't even buy any T2 figures because they didn't articulate the legs (and Terminator 2 was one of my favorite movies growing up). Im pretty sure I have self-control.

I don't know what I said that made you think I have some sort of addiction - I only wanted to get back into collecting Marvel figures again and wanted everyone's opinions on how to go about it. But I suppouse I should thank you. I realized that I don't really care about this hobby anyway; they're just toys. I can't cancel my ebay purchases, but I canceled my bbts order and didnt go through with my Pursuit of Cobra pre-orders. I can use the money to pay for my application fees.

First of all, sorry if my comment came about as abrupt or even rude, no offense meant, just an opinion. I think it was mostly this part (I'm just trying to satiate my appetite until something new comes out. I might pick up the new 6" War Machine and Iron Man if I can find them at a good price) along with the part about buying the captain america/klaw 2 pack just to see if you like em, that gave me the feeling of addiction, because as I stated before it sounded by your comments that you were more enthused for the thrill of buying "anything new" than for the figures themselves. If my comment actually helped you realize that you really did not care for the hobby as you stated, then I am glad I made it (again no disrespect meant).

dude I get to the poin where i was buying DC , sota , mutu and other figures waiting on marvel legends !!893Grumpy-thumb.gif so I decide to sell all my collection ( more than 500 figures ) and the only stuff i keep was My ML icons thats it , I got all my favorite characters and they are fun to collect . I also got some 12'' movie figures like Marvel studios Blade and Invisible women and they look good right next to my Icons so Im pretty happy with my 26 figures collection right now . here is a video of my stuff 893USA1-thumb.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq6_xdc9AGo

same here, looking back, I wished I never bought all those Mcfarlanes/NECA/12 inch Marvels. now I'm having a hard time getting rid of them.

one thing I learned, collecting is one thing obsession is another. so now Im just sticking with DCU & MOTUC. If I see some MLs 2 pack then I'll go for it. but I won't be buying anything outside of these.

Got some of the figures I ordered. DCUC Superman is my favorite rendition of the character ever, however some of the minor changes they made from the DC Superheroes figure do annoy me (mostly the Dean Cain-ish face). I also got a Superboy from wave 13, whom I like alot. I just hope I can figure out how to get those glasses off. Last for DC, my Lex Luthor with kryptonite pieces is pretty awesome, and helps to add more color to my display. I cant wait for Mongul and Hank Henshaw to come in the mail.

On the Marvel side, I finally picked up a snapshot Spidey, a figure I had been wanting for a while. It's also my favorite figure of Spiderman yet, and I own quite a few different versions. Once my wave 13 Green Goblin comes in the mail, I'll be done with Marvel figures (at least until any new Legends I like come out).

I am altoghether satisfied with my purchases.

P.S. Anyone need Trigon's arm?

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, I would so like that arm piece for Trigon, it's the only one I need to complete Trigon!!!!! What would you want for it???

Mind you I really only get online via my iPhone, and for some reason it won't let me see my PMs, so let me know here and I'll see about getting to a computer that will allow me full access so we can finalize the deal, ie addresses and such!!! Hoping the piece is still available!!

Dude, I would so like that arm piece for Trigon, it's the only one I need to complete Trigon!!!!! What would you want for it???

Mind you I really only get online via my iPhone, and for some reason it won't let me see my PMs, so let me know here and I'll see about getting to a computer that will allow me full access so we can finalize the deal, ie addresses and such!!! Hoping the piece is still available!!

Just shipping is fine. Mind you, shipping may be like 6 dollars since I am currently in Japan.