Annoyed by JvC/VvV/Spytroops......

So I recently just moved into a bigger place with plenty of room for showing off my goods. (Joes) Anyway.....I have stuff all over the floor in the Office/Joe room. Since I have all this room now I was going to display my Joes by line....RAH separate from JvC and so on. Previously, everything had been just displayed together. They were split up Joe/Cobra before. So I have a tub full of JvC/VvV/Spytroops stuff and it really annoys the crap out of me.....some of the figures are downright fugly......Maybe I've just grown in the past 5 years or so from when I first started picking up the stuff.....or the 25th/Modern era stuff is SOOOO above and beyond what JvC only wished it could have been.

The bottom line is every time I look in that JvC/Spytroops/VvV tub I want to throw it in the dumpster..... <_<

Even some of the TRU exclusives from that time are pretty ugly.....

So I recently just moved into a bigger place with plenty of room for showing off my goods. (Joes) Anyway.....I have stuff all over the floor in the Office/Joe room. Since I have all this room now I was going to display my Joes by line....RAH separate from JvC and so on. Previously, everything had been just displayed together. They were split up Joe/Cobra before. So I have a tub full of JvC/VvV/Spytroops stuff and it really annoys the crap out of me.....some of the figures are downright fugly......Maybe I've just grown in the past 5 years or so from when I first started picking up the stuff.....or the 25th/Modern era stuff is SOOOO above and beyond what JvC only wished it could have been.

The bottom line is every time I look in that JvC/Spytroops/VvV tub I want to throw it in the dumpster..... <_<

I hear ya!

That period of JOE, from JvC on thru to Spytroops, drove a huge wedge between fans and collectors of G.I.Joe, with all the bickering and complaining about how it all sucked and wasn't really very pleasing to many of us. Then it was all dumped for something totally different, Sigma Six and that just about finished us off.

I mean, there's good and bad in any of it, but mostly bad and even now, with the 25th and the ROC line, there's good and bad, but what Hasbro had going with the 25th seemed to be the best they were offering in a LOOOOOONG time, and they even cut that off prematurely.

I'm sure I'll be doing a mass inventory on my collection here soon (hang in there Doc) and getting rid of a lot of the crap from those various themes then.

I find it funny when I remember back to how much we all drooled over some of the VvV stuff like ol' Wave 7 Snake Eyes. And the newer Viper in old Viper colors. I was trading those babies away left and right and people couldn't seem to get enough of them. Now, if I were to offer them up here for $1 a pop, I'd probably have zero bites. Times change. Our expectations have changed due to what we were given at the time, and what we have now. I find it hard to look at most of my ARAH collection the same way anymore. It just looks dated and weak in comparison to some of the new stuff.

Regardless, my Crimson Army will remain the RAH molds and VvV Crimson Strike Force molds. I'm not totally sold on the 25th version of the CG. Too gangly for me.

they did have some real bad one. i like them for some parts as i customize them so i fix the ugliness out of them lol. but i do know what you mean.

I hear ya!

That period of JOE, from JvC on thru to Spytroops, drove a huge wedge between fans and collectors of G.I.Joe, with all the bickering and complaining about how it all sucked and wasn't really very pleasing to many of us. Then it was all dumped for something totally different, Sigma Six and that just about finished us off.

I mean, there's good and bad in any of it, but mostly bad and even now, with the 25th and the ROC line, there's good and bad, but what Hasbro had going with the 25th seemed to be the best they were offering in a LOOOOOONG time, and they even cut that off prematurely.

I'm sure I'll be doing a mass inventory on my collection here soon (hang in there Doc) and getting rid of a lot of the crap from those various themes then.

QFT

I liked Valor Vs Venom and spytroops toys they were actually fun but I'm from a different generation so I can understand the Hatred. but I don't like the Joe vs Cobra line well atleast 98% there was one or two I liked the rest were crap I also hate the Sigma Six toys

There are some fugly toys from all the eras.

Ice Cream Soldier, for example, worked MUCH better as Shock Viper.

As for the "new sculpt" era, there were a few good ones. Some of the ones *I* like are Dart, Ripper v2, Tele-Viper v3, Scalpel, Barrel Roll, Blackout, Burnout, Crosshair, Faces, Grunt v6, Wide Scope, Double Clutch (better than Recondo), Dr. Mindbender v5, Slip Stream v3, Bombstrike, Medi-Viper, Range-Viper v2, and Torch v2. Torpedo v4/Low-Light v6, Firefly v6, B.A.T. version 4 and Beach Head v7 weren't too bad.

The name of the game for SpyTroops/JvC/VvV was inconsistency.

There were some really fugly figures from that time (and I NEVER use the word "fugly"). Tiny heads, shrunken torsos, gorilla arms and size 20 feet all on the same figure is NOT good. The proportions on some of those figures were wack!

On the other hand, there were some good figures--Mjr. Barrage, Bombstrike, to name a couple--that make me NOT want to throw the entire line in the dumpster. Figures like those I kept, the crappier ones went to ebay a long time ago.

One good thing about vintage and modern Joes is that each line of figures is more or less constructed in the same way, the proportions are correct. That takes care of 50% of the problem.

Inconsistancy was a big issue. Jvc wave 1, 2 and 3 were all vastly different. Spytroops was different style, and all the VVV guys shrunk.

Designs on the other hand are a different story. Dart's head flopped but i still love that design, and the character still ain't to shabby either. (Isn't the DTC long haul head a good substitute? wouldn't know never got the ROCC)

Jvc wave 1 Duke, wet-suit, and stormy are some of the best designs those characters ever got. VVV stormy was pretty cool too. VVV scarlet was the first passable design aside from the original, and the blue repaint still does something for me. It looks so cool, un scarlet like, but still really great.

All 3 stalls were amazing, as was Major Barrage.

Some of the rah repaints in that line were great, they produced the best imo vipers in the green jungle vipers and those purple night vipers. and the best alley viper in that urban and blue combo. (still hoping to see each of those redone in 25th style)

Overall I think there big strength was exactly what we like in POC updating the classic looks. I like exact classic designs, sometimes, but I still want updates too, probably more so than straight classics.