Sign in to follow this  
PhoenixSword

college Financial aid question

I got accepted to Regent University starting in the fall (woo yay for me) anyway... I was already registered at another college for classes in the fall. I was on the phone all day today with people from the financial aid office, admissions office, and the registration office (UGHHH) I got everything cleared up except for the financial aid. They said I need to fax them a letter to cancel my financial aid. I know I had a state grant and everything else was just federal loans. What exactly should I put in this letter? The financial aid office wasn't very helpful. And really, what 20 year old prospective student even has a fax machine????

I have no idea what to put in the letter. They just kept telling me to make sure it was dated and signed so here it is???

06/12/2010

Cancel my financial aid

Jimmy

the whole process seems silly and unnecessary. Looking around online, other colleges just cancel everything for you as long as you don't withdraw a few weeks into the semester.

I hate how all the people at this particular college talk to you like you should know everything >.<

Why is this hard??

You have a grasp of high school English, do you not?

"

To: Their addresss info.

To whom is may concern-

My name is Jimmy XXXX.

I am writing to request the cancellation of my financial aid application for enrolment at College X for the 2010/2011 term. I have been accepted and secured enrolment at Regent University instead.

Please accept this fax letter as my intent and request to withdraw and cancel the requested aid.

If there are any questions or additional information needed, please contact me at (phone number.

Thank you.

Signature"

Go to a Staples store or Office Depot--as they will have fax services.

You fax that with a cover letter indicating the number of pages in the fax and who it is being sent to and who it is from. If its critical call them just before you send the fax to let them know, and then send the fax, then call then about 15 minutes after to make SURE they got the fax.

Easy peasy.

Thanks Arrow! That's what I was looking for. I wasn't sure how to word it. I always make these kind of things harder then they need to be.

You should have seen how long it took me to write a transcript request letter :) (the actual writing took me 5 seconds. It was the day of "is this how I should write it?" thinking that took the longest)

Thanks Arrow! That's what I was looking for. I wasn't sure how to word it. I always make these kind of things harder then they need to be.

You should have seen how long it took me to write a transcript request letter :) (the actual writing took me 5 seconds. It was the day of "is this how I should write it?" thinking that took the longest)

Seriously consider practising stuff like this a bit more, because college can be a whole different ball-game from high school. The students around are no longer really just classmates, but will become your competition when it comes to hunting jobs after college.

That means that ANY skill that you have, but they don't, can give you a leg up over them.

Letter writing is really basic stuff, but when I was teaching at the college-level, I was dismayed as to how many students lacked the skill.

Good luck in college!

Thanks! I've never written any type of formal letter until recently. Most of the writing we did in high school was to prepare us for the state tests.(mostly all essay writing.) We did have some short story and article writing at one point, but that didn't last very long.

I've never written any type of formal letter until recently. Most of the writing we did in high school was to prepare us for the state tests.(mostly all essay writing.) We did have some short story and article writing at one point, but that didn't last very long.

Its a life skill that I think students need, because let's face it..... state tests are for post-secondary education qualifications, and not everyone is going to have the grades to go onto college/university.

But being able to write a decent letter, resume', invoice or even a fax would serve anyone with just a high school diploma.

They would not even need to have a class in it, just hand out a package with some style templates to consult, and tell the students what its for.

All I wrote was some verbiage with some politeness and structure to it-- says the same thing as what you initially thought of.

• Like 1

so Regent University seems really hard to get into or what?

lol @smilepunch@