Todd Rice?!?!

CaptainTriumph

A licensing thing perhaps?

Like Autobot Jazz, Marvel's Sunfire, etc.

I thought about the licensing thing but he's a published character of D.C. I would have to assume that D.C. has the rights to his name locked up as a result.

I thought about the licensing thing but he's a published character of D.C. I would have to assume that D.C. has the rights to his name locked up as a result.

They have to call Captain Marvel "Shazam" on his packaging due to conflicts with Marvel...Motu 200X had to rename Fisto to "Battle Fist" due to Star Wars' Kit Fisto....etc etc.

Copyrights are a tricky business.

From what I read from Facebook is that Hasbro own the name Obsidian wish is a Beast Machine or a Veicon name that is use. So that is why they can't use his name.

They have to call Captain Marvel "Shazam" on his packaging due to conflicts with Marvel...Motu 200X had to rename Fisto to "Battle Fist" due to Star Wars' Kit Fisto....etc etc.

Copyrights are a tricky business.

Captain Marvel can't be used because of a lawsuit from many years ago won strangely enough by D.C.....Fisto hadn't been used by Mattel for years and his name lapsed...

Obsidian(Todd Rice)on the other hand has been a created and published character by D.C. since the 80's. He has never had a significant time as a non-published character that would allow his copyright to lapse.

Maybe there's some clause if he's used as a toy?!? That would seem weird to me.

This is what Matty said on Facebook.

Mattycollector.com Hey, hey, it's your friend Matty here! For everyone wondering why the figure is named "Todd Rice", it's because the name "Obsidian" is owned by another toy company.

Hey all! Newbie here! I couldn't care less what they call him, as long as I can get him! :D

Not a huge fan of the character in the comics (never read him), but wow, what a cool costume! I hope the Walmarts near me carry him. Will these also be available at mattycollector.com?

Sometimes copyright rules make no sense to me. It's sort of like the World Wildlife Fund vs World Wrestling Federation, even though the wrestling organization was more commonly known as WWF, they lost the rights to use it. Now with Obsidian, they lost the rights. If he was a new character with that name then it would make sense, the fact that he is this character for X amount of time should validate them being able to use his name.

In regards to his JLU figure, I am almost certain he used the name Obsidian, so maybe the rights were bought after his JLU release. It's amazing how copyrights work in regards to toys vs comics......so its ok for him to be Obsidian in the comics but not in figure form.

Also the crap with Captain Marvel is another annoyance, though DC does get away with calling him Captain Marvel in print most of the time.

I know what you guys are talking about take Firefly. He is a G.I. Joe character or should I say Corba and he is also a Batman enemy name and here both Mattel and Hasbro can use his name that is so weird. As well as the Mad Hatter. With Batman having a Mad Hatter and Disney have a Mad Hatter. But names like Hot Rod,Bluestreak and Bombshell for Transformers they can't use there names other then comics or Statues copyrights don't make sends??

I thought DC Direct used the name "Obsidian" for their Dr. Impossible from the Justice League America wave 2 line. I'm no expert on either character, I just thought they were the same guy (?)

Don't worry about the name on the package, DCUC fans. GI Joe fans have put up with trademak technicalities for years. To my knowledge, there is still no one who has the answer for why Roadblock is sometimes "Heavy Duty", sometimes not....

I know what you guys are talking about take Firefly. He is a G.I. Joe character or should I say Corba and he is also a Batman enemy name and here both Mattel and Hasbro can use his name that is so weird. As well as the Mad Hatter. With Batman having a Mad Hatter and Disney have a Mad Hatter. But names like Hot Rod,Bluestreak and Bombshell for Transformers they can't use there names other then comics or Statues copyrights don't make sends??

Well Firefly has been labeled as Cobra: Firefly several times and since the Mad Hatter is public domain (at least I'm pretty sure) those both have solid reasons. Could also be that this is a mass release figure were the JLU or DCD were for specific stores or markets. Personally I'm surprised they didn't go the Hasbro route and call him Todd "Obsidian" Rice.

I do have trouble in spelling. Spelling has never been my subject. I always got D's and F's in it so sorry it was mis spell.

Behold! The awesome power of... er, Todd Rice? Doesn't have quite the oompf that a name like Obsidian has does it.

I guess at some point we'll all be buying Freddy Freeman action figures too. DC Direct got around this a couple of years ago by calling their Captain Marvel Jr. figures "CAPTAIN JR" on the package.

I guess at some point we'll all be buying Freddy Freeman action figures too. DC Direct got around this a couple of years ago by calling their Captain Marvel Jr. figures "CAPTAIN JR" on the package.

I hope at some point we all do get a chance to buy DCUC Freddy Freeman action figures! With a likeness based on classic Mac Raboy art. The "Captain, Jr." part isn't completely groan inducing... I've read several instances where people often abbreviate the character's name to Cap, Jr. online and in print.

Hmm, in light of my disappointment with this month's matty listings, I'm going to change that from "get a chance to buy" a figure to "actually purchase" a figure.