Trek Movie News

Wheeljack35

Here are the latest news bits I found out concerning the next Trek film

http://trekmovie.com/category/startrek12/

Simon Pegg Doesn’t Know When Star Trek Sequel Will Start Shooting May 27, 2010

Last night Simon Pegg, Star Trek’s new Scotty, presented at National Movie Awards in London. While there he answered some questions on the red carpet about his upcoming projects, including the Star Trek sequel, if only to express his lack of information.

Pegg: I don’t know anything

From the red carpet, Pegg said his is definitely coming back for the Star Trek sequel, but is short on info, telling the Press Association:

Hell yeah! Of course, I’m Scotty – but I don’t know yet, [we'll start] probably end of the year or beginning of the next

While this may not be new info, it does reveal that the actors have not yet been told specifically when to set aside time in their schedules for filming. This could indicate that producer JJ Abrams has yet to lock down a schedule for the film. It was recently reported that Abrams would begin shooting his mysterious alien movie Super 8 in the fall. It could be that they are trying to make sure the productions on these two films don’t overlap, which would allow for Abrams to direct both. As reported before, the team has some wiggle room as the Star Trek sequel is due to be released June 29th 2012, which is 25 months away.

Oscar-winner Rachel Weisz Wants In On Star Trek Sequel May 29, 2010

The film isn’t yet in pre-production, but there is already a big name actress who wants in on the Star Trek sequel. In an interview promoting her new film, Academy Award winner Rachel Weisz (Constant Gardener, The Mummy 1 & 2) expressed her love JJ Abrams 2009 Star Trek movie and her desire to appear in the next Trek.

Weisz wants to Trek

In an interview with Collider promoting the Roman historical drama Agora, the subject moved on to if the actress would be interested in returning to the world of big effects movies, and she had one in mind. Here is an excerpt:

Weisz: Yeah. You know what? I loved Star Trek. I mean, I couldn’t even believe how great, I meant to write (Star Trek director) J.J. Abrams a letter. I haven’t written it yet, though. I just thought- Didn’t you think it was tremendous? … And I’m not a Trekkie. I mean, (Weisz’s longtime fiancé) Darren (Aronofsky) took me thinking, he says, “You’re gonna hate this.” Cause I didn’t grow up watching Star Trek. I mean, I, Dr. Spock, I mean, I vaguely know. But, I loved it. I absolutely—I thought the acting was just phenomenal. Really, really great. So, yeah! No, I’m totally open to doing a big, big blockbuster.

What about the sequel? is Weisz interested, the answer is yes:

Weisz: Me? I would LOVE to be in the Star Trek sequel! Yeah! I would love to! I better write that letter to J.J. ….I was really, wildly impressed by that. I thought it was an incredible piece of work. Yeah. It just had such a freshness and the acting was, the acting blew me away.

Deep Roy Hopes Keenser Will Return For Star Trek Sequel June 7, 2010

Keenser, Scotty's little loyal alien sidekick in 2009's Star Trek, was played by veteran genre actor Deep Roy. And in a new video interview, Roy talks about working with director JJ Abrams and his hopes for Keenser to return in the 2012 star Trek sequel. Watch it below.

Deep Roy on Keenser in the sequel

Deep Roy's long career includes many genre roles. Perhaps most famous for playing the many different Oompa-Loompas in Tim Burton's Willy Wonka, he is the only actor who has appeared in the Star Wars, Doctor Who and Star Trek franchises. Roy was recently a guest at the Sci-Fi Expo in Richardson, Texas where he was interviewed by the My Free Netflix Blog. The interview covers some of his roles and upcoming work. Regarding Star Trek. Here is what Deep Roy had to say about working with JJ Abrams and the sequel:

JJ Abrams is another talented director, writer, creator. I love him. And hopefully I will be in the sequel of the Star Trek, which is still writing at the moment. I am glad he put me on the starship, on the Enterprise. And let's see what happens in the sequel.

As noted by Roy, the final moments of Star Trek show Keenser on board the USS Enterprise in uniform, as a member of Scotty's engineering team. If we see Keenser in the sequel, perhaps we will learn more about him, like where he is from and how he ended up exiled with Scotty on Delta Vega.

• 1 year later...

http://enewsi.com/movies/190-20372.html

Star Trek 2 Six Months Behind Schedule According To Abrams

Reported by Jay Cochran - 03:39 PM 2011.06.15

Though it has been previously hinted by Abrams that the Start Trek 2 release date which was originally slated for June 29th, 2012 could be delayed. We now know thanks to an interview conducted by Howard Stern on his radio show that in fact Star Trek 2 is six months behind schedule, and it could be because the director is spread himself to thin. Here are some quotes from the interview put online by the folks at TrekMovie.com:

Stern: Are you spreading yourself too thin? Because Super 8 took so long to make, you had to push off Star Trek 2, which you are the director of and everyone is waiting for. How far behind are you on Star Trek 2?

Abrams: We are probably six months behind.

Stern: What does that mean? Have you begun principle photography?

Quivers: Is the script done?

Abrams: No. I am not writing the script, but we are working on it.

Abrams never really addresses Howard's question about what being 6 months behind actually means, but Abrams has stated previously he is intent on not rushing things and plans to put out a good movie. So more and more it seems like Star Trek won't see release till at the very least Christmas 2012 and perhaps not even until the Summer of 2013.

This is because Abrams took his sweet ass time

Rather him take his time than put out a crap movie. WHile I do think he's somewhat to blame, I blame the Studio more for deciding that a movie has to hit a certain date that they have picked before anything is really worked on. I can't think of how many time within the last five years I've seen a studio declare a date for a movie before any real work on it is done.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'd rather wait too!!! X3, classic example if rushing to get a movie out instead of waiting!!! Had they waited for Singer to be done with the crapfest that was Supes, we might have gotten a satisfying ending to the first trilogy???

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=48877

Zoe Saldana Excited For Star Trek Sequel, Which Apparently Won't Be Called "Star Trek 2"

The gorgeous actress speaks to Access Hollywood about reprising her role as Uhura in J.J Abrams' sequel to his hit reboot. Plus the site claim to have some info on the movie, including what the title WON'T be...

Zoe Saldana spoke to Access Hollywood at Monday night’s Glamour Reel Moments premiere in Los Angeles and expressed her excitement at returning to the role of The Enterprise's Communications Officer Nyota Uhura in the sequel to J.J Abrams' Star Trek reboot. She also revealed that the cast have yet to see a script for the movie which was recently officially confirmed to have Abrams back on board as director. Here is an excerpt from the article which also claims the sequel won't be carrying the most obvious title..

“I know it’s gonna be amazing. We still haven’t gotten a script yet,” she said of progress on the film, which Access has confirmed with a source will begin shooting in mid-January, and won’t be called “Star Trek 2.” “We’re very excited to read it and get back into space.”

I think we might have figured the sequel wouldn't just have went by "Star Trek 2" and had some kind of subtitle, but it sounds like it might go a completely different way. Saldana was also asked about whether her character's romance with Zachary Quinto's Spock would continue in the sequel to which she replied: “I’m really curious and I’m pretty sure that Zach is as well,”

• 3 weeks later...

I can't wait!!! One of the best re-boots, updates, continuation of a franchise ever!!!

If only this could have come out before Episode 1!! Then maybe Lucas would have seen what it is to make a good movie, again!!! He did it once!!!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MovieMaster/news/?a=49813

Star Trek 2

Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman recently offered brief updates on the latest installments in three of Paramount Pictures cash cows, the rebooted Star Trek saga, the Transformers franchise and the Paranormal Activity series.

Star Trek 2 is finally starting to pick up and get itself together, following a year of slow developments. Work on the fourth installments of the Transformers Franchise and the Paranormal Activity Franchise has (reportedly) begun, but both are all-but-guaranteed to come to fruition eventually.

Dauman told THR that previous reports about director/producer J.J. Abrams being committed to Star Trek 2 were indeed correct– and that the filmmaker is currently focused on developing the next installment in the science fiction franchise. However, those who were still holding out hopes that the Star Trek sequel –which may feature Benicio Del Toro as its mystery villain– could pull a First Class and get it's self together for a late 2012 release will be dissappointed to know that that's not happening.

Paramount now has a potential 2013 release in mind for Star Trek 2. While Summer 2013 seems the obvious route to take, there are already several significant Geek Franchises flicks scheduled to arrive throughout that season, which are Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, Pacific Rim and Oblivion.

It’s possible that Paramount will decide to delay the sequel until the winder, possibly just before The Hobbit: There and Back Again storms into theatres worldwide. If that is the case, then I think that is a very bad decision on their part, as The Hobbit could fill the Fantasy gap in the market now that Harry Potter has ended.

Latest Star Trek 2 Villain Rumor, This Might Surprise You...

The Klingons play a prominent role in Star Trek 2. The angle, according to our sources, plays up them up as a Nomadic sect of warrior aliens causing trouble for the Federation — think an intergalactic Taliban with their home-planet overrun by Tribbles. Yes, those Tribbles, here in the newly rebooted continuity viewed as "furry carnivorous creatures."

check out more here

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=49950

Ughh, not the Tribbles!!! Please say that's just some dumb fanboy story!!! Sounds horrible!! The Kilingons roaming the Galaxy sounds ok, but you already have a whole race who's planet has been destroyed!! Been there, done that!!!

Oh and was reading the comments on that link, and it reminded me, we've seen a Tribble already in the first one!!! Keep em cute and cuddly, and not the downfall of a race!!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32551

Star Trek 2 Warps In On May 17, 2013

Now that Paramount has finally turned the electricity up high enough on the electrodes attached to JJ Abrams’ sensitive parts and made him commit to directing the Star Trek sequel, the pieces are slowly beginning to fall into place. For one thing, the movie might not have a title yet, but it has a schedule, with the studio targeting a May 17, 2013 release date with its torpedoes.

Deadline reports that the executives took swift action after Sony shoved Roland Emmerich’s Singularity off that date, zeroing in on the time slot and stuffing Kirk, Spock, Sulu and co into place.We assume it'll be day-and-date over here, given that's what happened with the first one.

Now, of course, it’s up to Abrams to make the thing, working from the script he’s been overseeing by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof (who tweeted the news with “You have boldly waited this long... We shall do our very best to make it worth that wait.”)

The big news on the Trek front is that Abrams will be making it his first stab at 3D filmmaking, which means the Enterprise will be warping RIGHT INTO YOUR FACE. Okay, hopefully not: Abrams knows what he’s doing. But we are little concerned about 3D lens flare burning our retinas out.

In related news, there’s still no official word on Benicio Del Toro signing on as a villain (Abrams will only cagily say that they’re still in discussions) but one person who will really, truly be contributing is composer Michael Giacchino. Yeah, try to look surprised.

You guys don't think Del Toro is going in to play Khan, do you??? If so, how do you think he'll be portrayed??

Also, do you like the idea of other OS actors to star and or cameo???

I don't want anymore stories to include OS actors!! It's the new guys time to shine and do well on their own!! The first movie had a great nod to the OS, but that's enough!!!

Peter Weller just joined the cast. No word on who he's playing yet, but here's hoping its the villain. Weller has a great 'villain' voice.

Abrams also said Benecio is NOT playing Khan in the film, but that could just be misdirection.

On the one hand, I can see Abrams not wanting to retread ground with a Khan story. On the other hand, not having DelToro as Khan is a wasted opportunity, both in terms of a great character and a great actor.

Peter Weller just joined the cast. No word on who he's playing yet, but here's hoping its the villain. Weller has a great 'villain' voice.

Abrams also said Benecio is NOT playing Khan in the film, but that could just be misdirection.

On the one hand, I can see Abrams not wanting to retread ground with a Khan story. On the other hand, not having DelToro as Khan is a wasted opportunity, both in terms of a great character and a great actor.

Peter Weller Boards Star Trek 2

http://enewsi.com/movies/190-21508.html

Benicio Del Toro Drops Out Of 'Star Trek' Sequel

View the full article

They were kinda vague, except to say it was a monetary issue. I think it went something like this.

BDT(or more accurately BDT's agent): "I want $XX.xx to be in this film. I'm a big time movie star."

JJA: "Well, first, this is an ensemble film. Second, the draw isn't the actors, it's the brand name of Star Trek. And third, your last big budget film was Wolfman, which sucked ass out of a straw. So how about $xx.xx instead."

BDT's agent: "No."

JJA: "Okay. Buh bye."

Well not a comparison as far as quality, but being able to jump into the action right off the bat without having to set up a thing!!!

I'm on pins and needles, can't wait for this friggin movie!!!