Thundercats Toys Return With Bandai

well i'm for one am excited. sure its bandai, but hey, least we're getting new toys eh? be greatful for that i know i am. if they make 3-4inch figures, well...least they could be the same size as my marvel universe/dc infinite heroes/GIJOE/ATEAM figures.

they could go for the 5inch or 6inch scale. hopefully.

Here's a question , if the toys suck scrotum will you still buy them? Because beggers can't be choosers lol or will not get them even though you are a hard core fan.

I made this mistake with the salvation playmates. I ended up returning all the figs except for marcus and the T-600. Thank God Wal-mart takes everything back.

Here's a question , if the toys suck scrotum will you still buy them? Because beggers can't be choosers lol or will not get them even though you are a hard core fan.

I made this mistake with the salvation playmates. I ended up returning all the figs except for marcus and the T-600. Thank God Wal-mart takes everything back.

no, I won't. I don't like to buy bad toys, no matter what character they are or how much I love that character

Well some of those ben 10 figures arent bad, and a few look downright cool. I dont buy the line, watch teh show or have any idea what is what but im sure if I was a kid I would dig on them. Lets hope that group does the Thundercats and not the group that did Kamen rider, man did that line stinkl.

well I'm trying to keep an open mind. I guess you never really know whats going to happen until its done. But from judging by what Bandi had done in the past, I have a very strong feeling this line will be very disappointing. I sure this line will end up being VERY kid oriented, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (Sigma 6 was kid oriented and was an incredible line). I've been lured in by Bandi a couple of times on other toy lines and ended up disappointed. I collected Ben 10 for the first several waves before I got so frustrated be scale issues that I gave up and sold them on ebay. The scale issues are horrendous. The sculpting on each individual figure is great (incredible even. Bandi does an amazing job of replicationg a cartoon character in great detail in toy form) but every single figure is exactly 4" tall. This means you have one character who is supposed to be 4 feet tall that is exactly the same height in toy form as someone who is 7 feet tall. The result is you have two figures that look stupid next to each other because the 7 foot tall one has a pea head and the 4 foot tall one has a head the size of a beach ball. Very frustrating.

Also I fear for Characters like Cheetara, Wily Kit and Pumyra to ever see figure form. Bandi left out the main female character (Gwen) from their Ben 10 lines. At least they never Made a figure of how she appeared in 95% of the episodes. I know they made her in her "Charmer" costume and they recently made one of her as some alien form she took on on time, but they have to my knowledge never made one of her in her plain clothes the way she appears in almost every episode. I know its that philosophy that toy companies have that boys don't want girl figures but.... eh... I'm about to go on an unrelated rant... lol.

Any way, I am a little undecided on whether or not I think they'll do the T-cats justice BUT if they can pay attention to scale and make EVERY character including all females then I will have high hopes for this line.

I'll reserve judgment until I see some photos but yeah, I don't have the highest hopes either. Do you remember their Astro Boy line? (shudders) I remember their Astro Boy line.

As for Bandai and females in their lines, I recall Bandai not being afraid of using Starfire, Raven, and the bee girl (can't remember her name). I think Qwen's issue wasn't just that she was a female but she was a female that rarely fights. (At least i don't think she does. I've rarely watched the show ^^; ) I wouldn't be worried about Cheetara but Wiley Kit may be an issue since she doesn't do much as a fighter. Pumyra, I don't know what they plan for Pumyra in the series so I can't say about her

Bandai? I don't think I have ever seen a Bandai toy that I liked...

can anybody tell me of a good toyline they have done?

I'll keep my hopes high though

They dont really have a good one... Power Rangers and Kamen Rider looks like crap... I wouldnt keep my hopes high...

They make good figures, actually. For example,they made some excellent Gundam models, as well as the super articulated Dragonball Z line. Their Japanese sic Kamen Rider figures (not talking about the american made Dragon Rider Kamen Rider figs) are good too however, all those were made by Bandai of Japan, not Bandai of America. Dunno if there are any good Bandai of America figures - most of the bandai crap you see at retail are made by Bandai of America.

ban962338_4.jpg

ban959912_3.jpg

Since the new Thundercats is animated by a Jpnese studio (before anyone #@$#@ and whine that the cartoon might end up looking like Teen Titans, remember that the original Thundercats series was also animated by a Japanese studio,) Bandai of Japan (rather than Bandai of US) might sculpt the figs, that is if the series is shown in Japan; the original cartoon was never shown there.

However, because it is done by Bandai (me assume it would be their american division that are doing the figs) the figures might end up looking the anime-inspired american style like in Ben10 and Teen Titans.

i have no hate for bandai. while they are not the greatest. i know they will focus on kids. collectors? not so much. granted they MIGHT try to make a collectors line. but this is pretty much this generations thundercats. as for mattel...they handled the motu from the 2002 line terrible. *shudders* better for bandai to get the license and actually getting some toys on the pegs than not getting them at all.

who knows, maybe they'll surprise us. i'm probily gonna jump into this line like a cat on catnip.

i have no hate for bandai. while they are not the greatest. i know they will focus on kids. collectors? not so much. granted they MIGHT try to make a collectors line. but this is pretty much this generations thundercats. as for mattel...they handled the motu from the 2002 line terrible. *shudders* better for bandai to get the license and actually getting some toys on the pegs than not getting them at all.

who knows, maybe they'll surprise us. i'm probily gonna jump into this line like a cat on catnip.

I really wanted the 4HM doing the figures... Honestly I think it was a dream for us to think Mattel will do TC in the same level of MOTUC if they did the toys... That being said I am jumping all over this line...

I really wanted the 4HM doing the figures... Honestly I think it was a dream for us to think Mattel will do TC in the same level of MOTUC if they did the toys... That being said I am jumping all over this line...

And you know what is kind of said, is I would bet dollars to doughnuts that there is a 4H Scuplt of Lion-O out there. If they did a He-Man just for fun and that is how MOTUC took off, it's safe to assume that there is a Lion-O somewhere, done maybe for fun or maybe for an internal thing to try and get the line, I dunno. Like I said, I am just assuming so. I know Mattel really wanted the line, and I'd bet that they had the 4H do one up at some point.

Bandai? I don't think I have ever seen a Bandai toy that I liked...

can anybody tell me of a good toyline they have done?

I'll keep my hopes high though

They dont really have a good one... Power Rangers and Kamen Rider looks like crap... I wouldnt keep my hopes high...

They make good figures, actually. For example,they made some excellent Gundam models, as well as the super articulated Dragonball Z line. Their Japanese sic Kamen Rider figures (not talking about the american made Dragon Rider Kamen Rider figs) are good too however, all those were made by Bandai of Japan, not Bandai of America. Dunno if there are any good Bandai of America figures - most of the bandai crap you see at retail are made by Bandai of America.

ban962338_4.jpg

ban959912_3.jpg

Since the new Thundercats is animated by a Jpnese studio (before anyone #@$#@ and whine that the cartoon might end up looking like Teen Titans, remember that the original Thundercats series was also animated by a Japanese studio,) Bandai of Japan (rather than Bandai of US) might sculpt the figs, that is if the series is shown in Japan; the original cartoon was never shown there.

However, because it is done by Bandai (me assume it would be their american division that are doing the figs) the figures might end up looking the anime-inspired american style like in Ben10 and Teen Titans.

I am with Doom Saber, I think that if Bandai takes this seriously and they do what they are saying they are going to do, appeal to the collector as well as the newcomer, we may see more than just a kiddie line of figures, they are well versed in doing both as seen in the Gundam series of models and toys, they had a SD (Super deformed) Gundam series of figures for kids along with their awesome models and action figures for collectors. And these new Dragonball Z Kai figures that are supposedly coming out in the US for the new Nicktoon show look to be promising so I will reserve my judgment until I see a figure. I was hoping to see something at Comic Con, but I looked at the roster the other day and they are not on the list.

Here is further proof that Bandai can make some pretty cool stuff. Granted he is around 8 inches tall, but he is decked to the nines and has a collector quality that is freaking awesome.

post-8649-12764448106977_thumb.jpg

Here is the Amazon link to this figure.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BW4WVY/ref=asc_df_B001BW4WVY1141521?smid=AVB9VPPZMOOT8&tag=dealtmp462099-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B001BW4WVY

I freaking want to get this Batman Figure with the Batpod but I am a little more concerned with saving money for the ThunderCat figures when they come out. If they are in good shape and appeal to me, I will not hesitate to pick up the first lot of figures when they arrive.

post-8649-12764453575255_thumb.jpg

Theres also no guarantee the figures/show will even have the majority of the old characters. Im sure they will have the Thundercats and Mummra & the Mutants but its possible we wont see the Lunatics or Bezerkers.

While I dont hold hope, I really hope we get a 7' line like MOTU because we fans of the 80s have lumped TC and MOTU together (although they never officially were) and now it appears they will be ripped apart.

I don't know what Bandai will come up with for this line, however I have a feeling whatever it is, you all won't be happy. See what you call cheapness, I call making toys for kids, and that's what Bandai America does. They don't really make their lines for collectors or even really pretend to, like some companies. Ben 10 or even Power Rangers are kids lines, and from the amount of product I see on all the different retail shelves, I would say are pretty successful ones. Now if collectors choose to buy them, so much the better, but when they design and make these things, I don't think its really with the collector in mind, it's with the parents and kids, and it seems to be a fairly successful strategy. The toys are made more cheaply and durably because that's what kids need and want, and you can't blame a company for not catering to what is essentially a very small group who tends to be very picky and is never happy, no matter what a company does. Thundercats are returning for kids, not adult collectors, and yeah maybe we will get a few gems mixed in, but you would do better to remember that these are kids toys we choose to collect (or not collect), and not a collector line made with us in mind. If the cartoon is a hit and brings kids into the fold, this will probably be a successful and long lived line, if the show bombs and kids don't get into it, then I suspect the line will have a short life, regardless of what we adult collectors think of it.

I think we gotta wait and see. From the tone of the press release, it sounds as if WB and Bandai are at least keeping the old school fans in mind:

Warner Bros. Consumer Products (WBCP) announced today a powerhouse partnership with Bandai America Incorporated, as the global master toy licensee for the animated series, ThunderCats. Under the new agreement, Bandai and their international affiliates
will create and distribute products worldwide that will complement both the classic brand property, as well as Cartoon Network’s fresh take on the animated series
, with new television episodes set to air in 2011.

----

“ThunderCats have been a cult pop culture phenomenon for the past 25 years, and Bandai America looks forward to developing modern and engaging toys for these beloved characters,” said Masayuki Matsuo, chairman and chief executive officer, Bandai America Incorporated. “Through the Bandai America and Warner Bros. Consumer Products partnership,
die-hard devotees as well as a new generation of fans will be introduced to quality, innovative toys
that will create magical playtime experiences capturing the adventurous spirit of the brand.”

An all-new animated series, based on the iconic 1980s action classic, ThunderCats, is currently in production at Warner Bros. Animation. The new ThunderCats, a 21st century reimagining of the series that will air on Cartoon Network,
will appeal to viewers who have loved the characters all their lives as well as young newcomers to the franchise
. A sweeping tale combining swords and science and boasting ferocious battles with the highest of stakes, the grand origin story of Prince Lion-O’s ascension to the throne – and of those who would thwart his destiny at any cost – takes on epic dimensions in this sharp new telling. As the forces of good and evil battle each other in the quest for the fabled Stones of Power, Lion-O and his champions learn valuable lessons of loyalty, honor and mortality in every episode.

Bolded the significant portions. =)

Time will tell what it all means exactly. Whether the animated line of toys is going to try and crossover between kids and adults, or whether there will be a separate "Classics" line of Thundercats toys. I know that fan reaction to the Bandai news has been mixed, but I think it's incorrect to assume that whatever Bandai puts out will be hated by collectors. I think it will all come down to quality of toys. Good toys will win people over. Bad toys will not convert anyone. I'm neutral at this point, but I'm eager to see Bandai comes up with.

What I get from those releases is that they hope that the TC name will bring back older fans, no that they will do anything for those fans. Any time your trying to bring back something that was popular at one time it doesn't help to confuse people by having to many different types of product. Just look at similar lines done by other companies. I'm not saying that is what will happen, but I'm willing to bet that is what will happen. Either way I'm still thinking we're not seeing anything toy wise until TF in Feb 2011, maybe we'll see a teaser for the cartoon at SDCC but I would be surprised if we did.

I really hope to see something at comic con. Cartoon, figures or both would be nice, but something to let us know what to expect. We may be seeing something only based on the Cartoon, but if it looks anything like that art, then Bandai better really put some work into the figures. I have a hard time believing that WB would just say, "Bandai, you are cheaper and more interested in doing what we want with the line, you get the contract" without some samples of the figures mocked out and designed. I mean if some dude on the ActionFigureInsider.com forums predicted that Bandai would get the contract back in January of this year, there has to have been some wheeling and dealing going on well before the announcement was made.

Here's to hoping for some semblance to the original Cartoon for the new toys.

i came back from a toy hunt, and while i was at walmart i checked out the 4inch (3inch?) Ben 10 line, and then i turn to look at the power rangers 4inch line. i look back at the ben 10 and i look closely at the articulation and i was looking at one of those knight villians, well, i thought the articulation looks decent. and i can imagine a lion-o in that size with the same basic articulation.

i mean if you think of it, the figures will be 3 to 4inches because of the price in todays world and the cost of plastic. if they do create a 6inch figure line, it be a lil bit more cash... but eh.

i'm willing to bet that the thundercats figures will be in 4inch scale with the ben 10 and power rangers figures. for me, if they do its not a problem.

because i collect GIJOE, MARVEL UNIVERSE, DC INFINITE HEROES, i already got the whole set of the POWER RANGERS line.

so, its only logical that the figures will be in that size if it were 6inches i'd imagine the price would be...steep....if thats the right word for it.

i came back from a toy hunt, and while i was at walmart i checked out the 4inch (3inch?) Ben 10 line, and then i turn to look at the power rangers 4inch line. i look back at the ben 10 and i look closely at the articulation and i was looking at one of those knight villians, well, i thought the articulation looks decent. and i can imagine a lion-o in that size with the same basic articulation.

i mean if you think of it, the figures will be 3 to 4inches because of the price in todays world and the cost of plastic. if they do create a 6inch figure line, it be a lil bit more cash... but eh.

i'm willing to bet that the thundercats figures will be in 4inch scale with the ben 10 and power rangers figures. for me, if they do its not a problem.

because i collect GIJOE, MARVEL UNIVERSE, DC INFINITE HEROES, i already got the whole set of the POWER RANGERS line.

so, its only logical that the figures will be in that size if it were 6inches i'd imagine the price would be...steep....if thats the right word for it.

See this is something I don't want. I know most lines are in that small form now, but I am by far a 6" collector, I dont own any smaller scale just because I want everything the same size. All of my figures stand side by side, ML, DCUC, MOTUC, NECA TMNT, all done in the same basic scale, so I really have little to no interest in the smaller size, even if it is my beloved Thundercats. We will see what the future holds, its just great to see TC getting ready for a comeback!

They only way to judge on what they will look like is to see what the characters are going to look like in the toon.We can't go by the way they looked back in the day the toon possibly will update and change there looks around a bit.

Bandai usually makes kids themed toys. When collectors complained about the Dragon Ball line and how cheap they were, Bandai listened and revamped the line. I love that line! Hopefully they will get it right the first time and people will want them so the line continues for a while and we get a lot of characters. For those who have the old line, now is the time to sell them if you don't love them. Like most lines, once new sculpts are released the old ones tend to be forgotten about and the value will go way down. That can also be good for those who have wanted to collect the line but have always thought it to be to pricey. Here are some picks from the older line.

DBZ-Goku1.jpgDBZ-Trunks7.jpgDBZ-Vegeta1.jpgDBZ-Krillin3.jpg

Bandai usually makes kids themed toys. When collectors complained about the Dragon Ball line and how cheap they were, Bandai listened and revamped the line. I love that line! Hopefully they will get it right the first time and people will want them so the line continues for a while and we get a lot of characters. For those who have the old line, now is the time to sell them if you don't love them. Like most lines, once new sculpts are released the old ones tend to be forgotten about and the value will go way down. That can also be good for those who have wanted to collect the line but have always thought it to be to pricey. Here are some picks from the older line.

DBZ-Goku1.jpgDBZ-Trunks7.jpgDBZ-Vegeta1.jpgDBZ-Krillin3.jpg

I still have all of my DBZ figures from the first line, they are my favorites. I just did not like how Krillin did not match the size of the figures. I even have a few of the oversize figures.

My biggest fear with Bandai getting the line is that the smaller characters will be around the same size as the bigger characters. Bandai always seems to have a problem with Scale. They need to set up the smaller characters, like Snarf or the Berbils and then design the line with them as the base size so that they do not make Lion-o and Snarf the same size. I am sorry, but I just really get OCD when it comes to scale in a line. I want my figures to be in scale with each other if they are from the same line of figures.

I'll reserve judgment until I see some photos but yeah, I don't have the highest hopes either. Do you remember their Astro Boy line? (shudders) I remember their Astro Boy line.

As for Bandai and females in their lines, I recall Bandai not being afraid of using Starfire, Raven, and the bee girl (can't remember her name). I think Qwen's issue wasn't just that she was a female but she was a female that rarely fights. (At least i don't think she does. I've rarely watched the show ^^; ) I wouldn't be worried about Cheetara but Wiley Kit may be an issue since she doesn't do much as a fighter. Pumyra, I don't know what they plan for Pumyra in the series so I can't say about her

I do watch Ben 10 & she does Fight, though Gwen got cooler in Alien Force. The other thing is that Gwen (plain clothes) is coming, I think the problem with Ben 10, was that they had so MANY alien versions of Ben to do first. Now With Thundercats, I for one am excited & hope the line is 3-4 inches. I don't buy 6 inch lines(Can't afford them.)

Also I keep hearing you guys say how you weant Mattel to do the line, but as others have mentioned we most likely would have gotten JLU or Brave & the Bold figures & not MOTUC. We have to remember that this is happening cause of a cartoon, maybe some day down the line we'll get Thundercats Classics but for now I don't think so.

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE