Thundercats Toys Return With Bandai

Bandai? I don't think I have ever seen a Bandai toy that I liked...

can anybody tell me of a good toyline they have done?

I'll keep my hopes high though

Bandai? I don't think I have ever seen a Bandai toy that I liked...

can anybody tell me of a good toyline they have done?

I'll keep my hopes high though

They dont really have a good one... Power Rangers and Kamen Rider looks like crap... I wouldnt keep my hopes high...

Figured they'd get it and I can hear collectors groan all over the world. Obviously they are aiming this at kids and kids want to play with their toys, so I see this as a good fit. While I think the Power Rangers stuff has been so-so for a while now their Ben 10 lines have been very well made witha great selection of the shows characters. Not to mention they actually produce figures based on female characters and playsets/vechiles. It won't compare to the DCUC or MotU lines, but hopefully the show and toys will get kids interested in the show. All in all I think it ok and I'm sure when we see stuff at next springs Toy Fair we'll get a better idea of how this will all play out.

• Like 1

Maybe they can release 2 lines, one for the kiddos to enjoy, and one for the old school kids too!!! That way we can get figures based on the characters we remember from our youth and they can too!! I doubt it'll happen, but we can only hope!!!

Oh man, really was hoping for 4 horsemen but at at least it's not playmates though I'm sure the toys like the future cartoon will only loosely resemble the old cartoons.

Ugh - you and me both. I had been hoping to see 4 Horseman Thundercats figures for a while now.

The press-release seemed to indicate they would be working on stuff from the original animation as well, so we might wind up with new versions of old figures, but Bandai does not warm my heart in the least.

There's only one of two ways this can go. One, it's Bandai's chance to break out of their cheap mold and blow everyone's minds or two - it'll be just as bad as everyone thinks.

Well since I didn't know anything about Bandai products I checked out their home page and I'm not exactily thrilled with what I see. Looks like they are way into the 4 inch line over there, which is not really ideal to me. The sculpts are ok, but I will wait till I see a figure before I make a call on that. This will definately be a line driven to kids, which is totally cool, I mean they are toys so kids should come first, but just don't leave us collectors out in the rain. All I want is a new classic designed Lion-O that stands about 6 inches tall, I don't think it's too much to ask, maybe Bandai will be nice to us adults and throw us a bone or two. Either way, it's just great to be hearing about new Thundercats toys, no matter the company.

Bandai can make some pretty cool sci-fi ship models, but I've never been impressed with their action figures.

I'll stay optimistic until I see at least one prototype. They are very capable of making some great toys, but will Thundercats look more like Power Rangers? <_<

Yeah I imagine that most of us collectors feel the same way about Bandai, but lets try to stay positive about all this. We've got a brand new cartoon coming, new figures based on that cartoon, not to mention all the statues and stactions headed our way too. This is the most TC has done since the mid 80's and I am glad to see it finally happen.

We've still yet to see any figures, prototypes, or a single frame from the new show, no idea on looks, scale, availability, nothing. I'm sure not everyone will be happy with it all, but we've gotten great TC news these past few days and I hope we'll have more to follow. I can't imagine SDCC going by this year without any new TC news. Hopefully we'll see some prototypes and more conceptual art.

Yeah I imagine that most of us collectors feel the same way about Bandai, but lets try to stay positive about all this. We've got a brand new cartoon coming, new figures based on that cartoon, not to mention all the statues and stactions headed our way too. This is the most TC has done since the mid 80's and I am glad to see it finally happen.

We've still yet to see any figures, prototypes, or a single frame from the new show, no idea on looks, scale, availability, nothing. I'm sure not everyone will be happy with it all, but we've gotten great TC news these past few days and I hope we'll have more to follow. I can't imagine SDCC going by this year without any new TC news. Hopefully we'll see some prototypes and more conceptual art.

Your right, let's stay positive and hopefully Bandai will shock us all.

wtf.gif Bandai is the cheapest toy company next to Playmates.........they never push the limits of what could be done, instead they opt for simple designs and poseability. I just can't imagine Bandai producing anything worthwhile. This is sore news rundum.gifrundum.gifrundum.gifrundum.gif

To be fair, Mattel's kid oriented stuff (which Thundercats would be marketed as) don't exactly aspire to greatness either. Brave and the Bold, Justice League, the first YEAR or so of DCIH were all 5 POA basic-as-you-can-get action figures. Outside of their meager collector offerings, I've never really seen Mattel do anything worthwhile with their media tie in toys.

With Bandai, I KNOW we'll get figures with a solid range of posability (not superarticulated, but more playable than most of Mattel's stuff), cartoon accurate (for good or ill), available at retail with relative ease, AND that all the major characters (even villians and females) will end up being made and not packed to one per case of 12 in the off season.

I'd rather deal with Bandai than Mattel anyday of the week.

wtf.gif Bandai is the cheapest toy company next to Playmates.........they never push the limits of what could be done, instead they opt for simple designs and poseability. I just can't imagine Bandai producing anything worthwhile. This is sore news rundum.gifrundum.gifrundum.gifrundum.gif

To be fair, Mattel's kid oriented stuff (which Thundercats would be marketed as) don't exactly aspire to greatness either. Brave and the Bold, Justice League, the first YEAR or so of DCIH were all 5 POA basic-as-you-can-get action figures. Outside of their meager collector offerings, I've never really seen Mattel do anything worthwhile with their media tie in toys.

With Bandai, I KNOW we'll get figures with a solid range of posability (not superarticulated, but more playable than most of Mattel's stuff), cartoon accurate (for good or ill), available at retail with relative ease, AND that all the major characters (even villians and females) will end up being made and not packed to one per case of 12 in the off season.

Well that is just silly to me. Even with the short comings of Mattel they still deliver overall better product than Bandai. If you take the collective works of Bandai versus Mattel, I think you would be in the minority who thinks Bandai is a better choice. You have a better chance at getting a decent figure with Mattel than Bandai, of course it all can go either way. The difference is that Bandai's collective works is sub-par to adult collectors while at the very least Mattel does offer figures that are the top of the line in DCUC and MOTUC. There isn't a standard figure line currently that can top DCUC and MOTUC, with the fall of ML, Mattel is the dominate force in 6 inch figures.

Also, JLU is surprisingly very strong with collectors, as for IH, well they are just trash. I actually enjoy BB figures.

Your right, let's stay positive and hopefully Bandai will shock us all.

It sucks to have to sit and wait, and yeah, my hopes aren't incredibly high for Bandai, but who knows, maybe they've got some diehard fans working for the property and it will impress us. Stay positive man, because I am sure a sh*t storm of negativity will hit this line before it even makes it on tv, that's just the way we fans are.

Too true about Mattel. I guess it's more of a pick your poison type deal, either have the 4 H locked into to this line with Mattel, making it quality but short produce the figures to ensure an early sellout, or have a crap shoot with Bandia with the scuplt and availability. I haven't gotten anything Bandia since I was a kid and my mom bought my Power Rangers, so I can't comment on how easy it will be to find, but if what you say is true then atleast these toys have a better chance of ending up in the hands of kids versus us collectors. Mattel, around my neck of the woods, is pretty hit or miss, mostly miss, so this Bandia news is, at best, a mixed blessing.

There isn't a standard figure line currently that can top DCUC and MOTUC, with the fall of ML, Mattel is the dominate force in 6 inch figures.

Too true, there isn't much to offer in way of other 6 inch figure lines, but I am not sure Bandia knows that the six inch scale exists. I just browsed their site and all I found were 4 inch figures. Again, we'll just have to sit and wait to see what they've got planned, and if someone out there knows of a 6 inch bandia line, I would like to know!

There isn't a standard figure line currently that can top DCUC and MOTUC, with the fall of ML, Mattel is the dominate force in 6 inch figures.

Too true, there isn't much to offer in way of other 6 inch figure lines, but I am not sure Bandia knows that the six inch scale exists. I just browsed their site and all I found were 4 inch figures. Again, we'll just have to sit and wait to see what they've got planned, and if someone out there knows of a 6 inch bandia line, I would like to know!

I think the big issue there is that it can be argued that the 6" figure market is really NOT that big a factor anymore. Seriously, outside of collectors, you really can't sell an action figure for $14-17 at retail with a significant degree of success. The whole reason 4" figures are dominating the aisles at the moment is because of costs, a parent is more apt to buy an action figure on a whim at $7 than $15.

Power Rangers were 5.5" inches for YEARS, they even produced some really nice 6" Super Legends PR figures over the past couple years, but changed scales so that a basic Power Ranger action figure would cost $6 rather than $8-9.

Well that is just silly to me. Even with the short comings of Mattel they still deliver overall better product than Bandai. If you take the collective works of Bandai versus Mattel, I think you would be in the minority who thinks Bandai is a better choice. You have a better chance at getting a decent figure with Mattel than Bandai, of course it all can go either way. The difference is that Bandai's collective works is sub-par to adult collectors while at the very least Mattel does offer figures that are the top of the line in DCUC and MOTUC. There isn't a standard figure line currently that can top DCUC and MOTUC, with the fall of ML, Mattel is the dominate force in 6 inch figures.

Also, JLU is surprisingly very strong with collectors, as for IH, well they are just trash. I actually enjoy BB figures.

For every DCUC or MOTUC you get from Mattel, you get a dozen Secret Saturdays, The Batman, Avatar (both Nickelodeon and James Cameron), or DCIH. In the past 10 or so years, the ONLY line Mattel has kept going in the action figure aisle has been Justice League, even then the line has been reinvented at least 3 times and I've seen a LOT of stuff dumped at Big Lots and closeouts over the years (with the "Target Exclusives" currently being dumped for half price).

DCUC and MOTUC are the exceptions, not the rule with Mattel toylines. Brave and the Bold figures may be nice....but from MATTEL'S OWN WORDS, don't expect as diverse a figure selection as what you see on the show, things are all Batman from here on out.

For every DCUC or MOTUC you get from Mattel, you get a dozen Secret Saturdays, The Batman, Avatar (both Nickelodeon and James Cameron), or DCIH. In the past 10 or so years, the ONLY line Mattel has kept going in the action figure aisle has been Justice League, even then the line has been reinvented at least 3 times and I've seen a LOT of stuff dumped at Big Lots and closeouts over the years (with the "Target Exclusives" currently being dumped for half price).

DCUC and MOTUC are the exceptions, not the rule with Mattel toylines. Brave and the Bold figures may be nice....but from MATTEL'S OWN WORDS, don't expect as diverse a figure selection as what you see on the show, things are all Batman from here on out.

All what you said is true but most are going off of chances, which is likely. Are we likely to see decent Thundercat figures with Mattel or Bandai.......well the chances are better with Mattel than Bandai. Most collectors on this board and what is clear in this forum is that people don't want Bandai to handle the line but want Mattel to handle it. Of course Mattel can screw it up, any company can screw up but its likely that if Mattel handled it, the figures would be on par with what collectors want.

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE