Captain America's costume revealed!

Fanatic

I am so disappointed in Thor's costume. Since, when did leather become more realistic? Why does that work in movies and the traditional costume doesn't? Especially like Clam said I thought they were going to do a lotr feel, which would make sense give asgard a history and real Norse feel to it. I love the wrapped look for the boots in the comics, but instead this looks like Kevin Nash had a baby with a scyfy movie hero. I really am just very disappointed in it. I will still see the film, but I think going this rout is a huge mistake.

just based on the costumes, I am probably going to skip both of them in the theater now.

I have a theory and it hasn't been proved wrong yet: When it comes to comic movies, if they mess up the costumes, then they have no respect for the source material. And if they have no respect for the source material, then they will mess up the story and try to come up with something new. This inevitably doesn't work, and the movie sucks.

this theory has worked on the following:

X-men movies (all suck)

Daredevil (suck)

Elektra (suck)

Fantastic Four (suck)

Spiderman 1,2 (both good, except for Green Goblin's suit)

Ironman 1 (good)

Ironman 2 (kinda good)

Transformers 1,2 (suck)

GiJoe ROC (suck)

Superman Returns (kinda good except for his kid, which is when they mess the story up)

Batman Returns, Dark Kknight (both good)

Hellboy 1,2 (both good)

Hulk (suck, think of how they messed up Absorbing Man's story and appearance)

Incredible Hulk (kinda good)

the only one I can think of where it hasn't worked is Spiderman 3. Everybody looked great, but the story didn't work at all. They should have done just Sandman or just Venom.

so unfortunately, it looks like Captain America will suck, and Thor will suck even worse...

just based on the costumes, I am probably going to skip both of them in the theater now.

I have a theory and it hasn't been proved wrong yet: When it comes to comic movies, if they mess up the costumes, then they have no respect for the source material. And if they have no respect for the source material, then they will mess up the story and try to come up with something new. This inevitably doesn't work, and the movie sucks.

this theory has worked on the following:

X-men movies (all suck)

Daredevil (suck)

Elektra (suck)

Fantastic Four (suck)

Spiderman 1,2 (both good, except for Green Goblin's suit)

Ironman 1 (good)

Ironman 2 (kinda good)

Transformers 1,2 (suck)

GiJoe ROC (suck)

Superman Returns (kinda good except for his kid, which is when they mess the story up)

Batman Returns, Dark Kknight (both good)

Hellboy 1,2 (both good)

Hulk (suck, think of how they messed up Absorbing Man's story and appearance)

Incredible Hulk (kinda good)

the only one I can think of where it hasn't worked is Spiderman 3. Everybody looked great, but the story didn't work at all. They should have done just Sandman or just Venom.

so unfortunately, it looks like Captain America will suck, and Thor will suck even worse...

I actually don't mind Cap's costume. I wish it did not have all the plate looking armor and was more WWII looking material wise and I think the scales could help achieve it. I also wish it had the wings, but it does not turn me off like the Thor costume

if they mess up the costumes, then they have no respect for the source material.

That's just not true! I'm sorry.

What is "source material"? To me it means staying true to who a character IS. Meaning, if the X-Men are a group of people hated and feared bacause they were born with special powers, then they shouldn't stray from that when they do a movie about them. And they didn't. Even if you didn't like they way it turned out for whatever reason, they stayed true to the source material. They actually have done that for a majority of super hero flicks (not ALL, I'll admit). Thor not having boots as drawn by Jack Kirby does not mean they are straying from the source material, just the original look.

When it comes to costumes, it's all a matter of personal taste. Whether you're talking about these modern movie updated looks or the stuff drawn by the original artist. Someone doesn't like Thor's pants and suddenly it's: "Bwah, this movie's going to suck! I'm not seeing it!"

Most of the time, when you see these characters in action on the screen, you forget about the little qualms you have with the suit anyway. I'm not saying Thor or Cap's looks are the best thing in the world but they're both one cool trailer away from people saying, "Cool, I can't wait!"

The both look decent. Not perfect, but decent. If you painted wings on the side of Cap's helmet it'd be about as close to perfect as I'd expect from a comic book film. You want accurate? Go look at the 91 version...spot on adaptation of the "classic" costume and it looked HORRIBLE.

Thor's lower half does look a little too monotone. Adding the grey quilting/mail to his upper legs would've been the way I would've gone, but that doesn't work as well when you're dealing with a breastplate instead of a tunic. However the breastplate instead-of-tunic makes sense...sewing metal discs into a tunic would look kind of silly, too. He's still perfectly recognizable as the character he's supposed to be, even if the design isn't perfect (if it ever could be). Oh, and he WILL have his helmet according to comments made by the actor playing him, so that'll add to the outfit as well. He just probably won't wear it much outside of action scenes.

if they mess up the costumes, then they have no respect for the source material.

What is "source material"? To me it means staying true to who a character IS. Meaning, if the X-Men are a group of people hated and feared bacause they were born with special powers, then they shouldn't stray from that when they do a movie about them. And they didn't. Even if you didn't like they way it turned out for whatever reason, they stayed true to the source material. They actually have done that for a majority of super hero flicks (not ALL, I'll admit). Thor not having boots as drawn by Jack Kirby does not mean they are straying from the source material, just the original look.

When it comes to costumes, it's all a matter of personal taste. Whether you're talking about these modern movie updated looks or the stuff drawn by the original artist. Someone doesn't like Thor's pants and suddenly it's: "Bwah, this movie's going to suck! I'm not seeing it!"

Most of the time, when you see these characters in action on the screen, you forget about the little qualms you have with the suit anyway. I'm not saying Thor or Cap's looks are the best thing in the world but they're both one cool trailer away from people saying, "Cool, I can't wait!"

no way man.. you are trying to say that anytime they use the basic idea of a comic, they are staying true to the source material.. and that is just wrong.

lets look at one of the worst.. Absorbing man. sure, they used a guy that can absorb elements around him... but they changed the way he looked, his origins, his powers, and made him Bruce Banner's dad. How is that staying true to the source material? just because he also absorbs things?

if all you have to do is use the basic ideas, then NBC's show "Heroes" could have actually just been called X-Men, because it was about a group of people with unexplained powers that they were born with. Peter Patrelli could have been named Rogue because he absorbed powers. Nathan Patrelli could have been called Cannonball because he flies. That one blonde girl (ali larter) could have been Iceman because she freezes stuff and her body. etc etc

no way man.. you are trying to say that anytime they use the basic idea of a comic, they are staying true to the source material.. and that is just wrong.

If they stay true to WHO the character is and that character's origins, then they are, for the most part, staying true to the source material. No matter what revisions go into the costume.

You're correct about the Absorbing Man. That sucked. Also, the Doom origin in the FF movies sucked ,Deadpool in Wolverine sucked, and the Duke/Barones/Cobra Commander brew-ha-ha in GI Joe sucked. THOSE examples strayed too far away from the source material and it didn't turn out well.

But if you're just talking about the LOOK of a character being changed, that's not creating any major canonical violation. No more than if a new artist came on the comic book and put your favorite hero in a new costume you don't like. There's still a chance that the movie will be good by staying true to WHO the character is and telling a good story about the character. That is staying true to the source material.

I just seems like people are too quick to write something off when they see a new look they don't like (not just YOU necessarily. I think maybe that idotic DC movie thread may still be too fresh in my mind :) ).

How can people not like X-Men or X2?? Both were great films, especially X2!!! I think Singer's dumb ass should have finished his trilogy first!! That way he would have thought about making a better Superman!! Instead of the crapfest we got in Returns.

How can people not like X-Men or X2?? Both were great films, especially X2!!! I think Singer's dumb ass should have finished his trilogy first!! That way he would have thought about making a better Superman!! Instead of the crapfest we got in Returns.

Agreed with everything!

Agreed with everything!

I didnt like how Wolverine was handled in the first one... He didnt shank anyone with his claws until the second movie... I think an epic battle between Juggernaut VS Colossus and Iceman VS Pyro would have saved X3...

Agreed with everything!

I didnt like how Wolverine was handled in the first one... He didnt shank anyone with his claws until the second movie... I think an epic battle between Juggernaut VS Colossus and Iceman VS Pyro would have saved X3...

couldn't agree more

I don't think anything could have saved X3 the X-men got defeated by a very powerful foe: crappy writing. They handled the Phoenix story badly, Storm fought 2 times with the same repetitive moves and choreography just becuase Halle Berry whined so she would get a bigger part, we got teased with a sentinel just to gets it head the list goes on. The only good thing was Multiple Man and he didn't get that much screen time. The first 2 were ok but the bad casting was there from the beginning, Jean Grey looked too old, Rogue was in Jubilee's role and Magneto was supposed to be old not bedridden. Anyway moving on the costumes don't look that bad, Captain America's could be better(red gloves and boots too difficult??) but I knew they were going with Ultimate route it's what they do now and we might as well face it that cancer isn't going away anytime soon. Thor's costume looks strange, when they showed the first picture I loved it, since they were going with the modern Coipel/Straczynski version, let's face it the Kirby didn't look that Nordic or godly but now it looks weird, like something out of Stargate SG1 maybe with the helmet it would look better.

My main problem with X3 was that they killed Cyclops. Zero respect for Cyke throughout the three X-movies. Otherwise I'm OK with it.

Yeah... The Cyclops character did not deserve that...

Starting the movie with a fight against the Sentinel was stupid... Movies usually build from low to high or so I thought... Damn tease...

Captain America's costume just isn't one of those costumes that hold ups over time. Superman, Spiderman, Batman and Ironman are all classic enough to warrant few changes, that does not apply to CA. The wings are lame and should be removed. Remember he is a soldier and he can't have all these things making him stand out in combat. I like the costume, I think its the best they could do with the source material.

• Like 1

Captain America's costume just isn't one of those costumes that hold ups over time. Superman, Spiderman, Batman and Ironman are all classic enough to warrant few changes, that does not apply to CA. The wings are lame and should be removed. Remember he is a soldier and he can't have all these things making him stand out in combat. I like the costume, I think its the best they could do with the source material.

I don't agree with this at all. I think his costume does stand the test of time, but at the same time I also think his Ultimates look works as well. To say that his wings are lame, but having underwear outside of your pants isn't just doesn't make any sense.

I don't agree with this at all. I think his costume does stand the test of time, but at the same time I also think his Ultimates look works as well. To say that his wings are lame, but having underwear outside of your pants isn't just doesn't make any sense.

totally agree with this man... Cap's isn't classic enough, but Batman's and Ironman's are??

Batman has had way more costume changes than Cap, and Ironman has had more costume changes than just about any other character there is... so how are their looks more classic than Cap's? He only has like 2 different looks (not counting ultimate poop)

ANY super hero costume in real life would look silly.

Superman, Batman, Wolverine, and a host of others have their underwear on the outside.

Cap, has wings.

The classic red/gold Iron Man armor had flexible metal? (How would THAT look in the movies?)

50% of the female super hero costumes have less coverage than a $5 insurance policy and would need readjustment after every punch.

A lot of those classic looks I mentioned above? I love em! On of my favorite GI Joes has a Hawiian shirt! I like a lot of the classic looks...in PRINT. On film it's something else. The best you can hope for is Christoper Reeve, who owned that costume in a way I don't think a lot of people could. Worst case scenario would probably be that guy from the Cap movie (the straight-to-video one)...you don't want your hero to invoke snickering.

you all are nuts. captain america's costume is perfect the way it is. it makes sense that it similar to 'ultimates' since nick fury is from untimates (though i perfer my nick fury white/ david hasselhoff.

i think this movie might make up for the crappy 90's film. and i pray to the lord above it'll be all american film, beating up nazi's/badguys/redskull and standing tall with old red white and blue. something that'll go with the song 'AMERICA F*CK YEAH!' X3 good ol' cap. kicking ass and taking names. as for thor. its alright. *shurgs* not great but it gets the job done.

• 1 month later...

The movie version is a hideous abomination. Hell, I'm gonna just go and call it treasonous! LOL!

Cap's costume has remained essentially unchanged for almost three quarters of a century now. You can't fix what ain't broken. But leave it to Hollywood to screw things up. I refuse to pay to see these movies since they are so disrespectful to the source material.

Worse yet, I hear now that it's going to be converted to 3D in post-production (it was filmed in 2D), which means it's gonna look like crap. Here's a link

Cap/Thor Movies Being Converted to 3D