Push for a black Spider-Man

yojoebro82

In my opinion if they want a strong black super-hero. They should make a static shock movie, or create a new one. It cheapens the impact in my mind.

Luke Cage?

Exactly!! If they want to use introduce african american superheroes why not use the ones you got already. There is no reason why a Luke Cage movie wouldn't work if done right, you can introduce a new superhero into the fold to the people that weren't familiar with it and have another Marvel Character movie win-win. For example I'm pretty sure that the average moviegoer wasn't familiar with Iron Man but they got it so right that they took a Superhero not widely known outside of comic book fans and turned them into a successful movie and suddenly people who didn't know who or what Iron Man was were asking me about the character since they enjoyed the movie. The same thing can happen with a Luke Cage movie just keep it right and cast an actual african american to play him.

Oh gee, I almost spilled my Starbucks latte all over my sweater vest as I was reading this from my Macbook Pro! I am soooo uber excited for this movie guys. Did you know that Marc Webb will be directing this? Marc Webb directed the smash hit 500 days of summer. This is the indie spider-man flick I have been DREAMING of!! Making him black is a stroke of genius, its a kick in the face to all the mean ole racists out there.

Getting a guy who started out in the indy movie scene worked pretty well for Batman (Goyer did Memento first), the first round of Spidey movies (Raimi's Evil Dead series), and Iron Man (Favreau did Swingers). You know, the movies that are typically considered some of the best super hero stuff of all time. So I'm not really sure why you're bashing Webb for being indie.

• Like 1

In my opinion if they want a strong black super-hero. They should make a static shock movie, or create a new one. It cheapens the impact in my mind.

Luke Cage?

Exactly!! If they want to use introduce african american superheroes why not use the ones you got already. There is no reason why a Luke Cage movie wouldn't work if done right, you can introduce a new superhero into the fold to the people that weren't familiar with it and have another Marvel Character movie win-win. For example I'm pretty sure that the average moviegoer wasn't familiar with Iron Man but they got it so right that they took a Superhero not widely known outside of comic book fans and turned them into a successful movie and suddenly people who didn't know who or what Iron Man was were asking me about the character since they enjoyed the movie. The same thing can happen with a Luke Cage movie just keep it right and cast an actual african american to play him.

Can those of you who object to this try to articulate for my why it's a problem for you? I'm having a hard time understanding. Have you seen Donald Glover in anything? I've watching him in Community this year, and I think he'd be great in the role. He'd give Peter Parker some real personality... he's just a funnier guy than Tobey. It's really not about his being black. It's about Tobey being sort of a boring actor, and Glover having a lot more energy. The skin color... I just don't see what is fundamentally Caucasian about Spidey.

For instance, Peter Parker is brown-eyed in the comics. Tobey has blue eyes. So, they changed eye color, and no one said boo. But they change skin color, and it's a big problem for some people? Why is that again?

In the comics, Iron Man's origin story takes place in Vietnam. In the movies, it's Afghanistan. No one complained about that change. So why is it that details like that can be changed, but not the character's skin color?

Oh gee, I almost spilled my Starbucks latte all over my sweater vest as I was reading this from my Macbook Pro! I am soooo uber excited for this movie guys. Did you know that Marc Webb will be directing this? Marc Webb directed the smash hit 500 days of summer. This is the indie spider-man flick I have been DREAMING of!! Making him black is a stroke of genius, its a kick in the face to all the mean ole racists out there.

Getting a guy who started out in the indy movie scene worked pretty well for Batman (Goyer did Memento first), the first round of Spidey movies (Raimi's Evil Dead series), and Iron Man (Favreau did Swingers). You know, the movies that are typically considered some of the best super hero stuff of all time. So I'm not really sure why you're bashing Webb for being indie.

The difference with those guys is that they actually have more films under their belts. Plus those films are enjoyable and considered cult classics.

500 days of summer on the otherhand was an IFC borefest.

For instance, Peter Parker is brown-eyed in the comics. Tobey has blue eyes. So, they changed eye color, and no one said boo. But they change skin color, and it's a big problem for some people? Why is that again?

Pause for a minute, shall we............and ask.........why have none of these dissenting voices ever complained about..............this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiderman_Japan

Spider-man.......was JAPANESE in this.

I guess its because people thought that they can just ignore it if they do not like how different something is.

If that's the case, then what is the problem with ignoring this new version of Spider-man--if it gets made?? LOL!

Luke Cage?

Can those of you who object to this try to articulate for my why it's a problem for you? I'm having a hard time understanding. Have you seen Donald Glover in anything? I've watching him in Community this year, and I think he'd be great in the role. He'd give Peter Parker some real personality... he's just a funnier guy than Tobey. It's really not about his being black. It's about Tobey being sort of a boring actor, and Glover having a lot more energy. The skin color... I just don't see what is fundamentally Caucasian about Spidey.

In the comics, Iron Man's origin story takes place in Vietnam. In the movies, it's Afghanistan. No one complained about that change. So why is it that details like that can be changed, but not the character's skin color?

Apparently, it depends on the skin color. For example, there is a controversy over the castings in both Prince of Persia and Avatar: The Last Airbender. I don't see anybody on this forum being as pissed off as they are with donald Glover being a candidate for Spiderman. If Peter Park were written as a minority that isn't African American, I doubt people would complain if a caucassian actor plays Spiderman. Another example would be the Superman debate. People would be pissed if they cast an Asian American with asian traits (I know Dean Cain is like 1/4 asian, but he doesn't look asian) to play The Man of Steel, but would not care if Leonardo Dicaprio plays Kanada in the (rumored) upcomming Akira movie.

Honestly, if Hollywood changed the race because of ratings, I would have a problem with it. However, if they change the race because of the actor is a talented C lister, than I doubt I would.

I mean, for me it depends on the context. Hollywood loves to change race for ratings. This just seems like a reverse to me since first of all, the fans are demanding Donald Glvoer to play as Parker, not Hollywood. Secondly, when it comes to ratings, race changing often occurs with a character whose ethnicity isn't really depicted in American movies/TV.

I am all for black characters, what I am not for is reinventing an existing character. It almost like pandering. The soluition is to introduce more black characters and/or develop existing ones. It doesn't need to be forced. As an example DC has a great character in Icon....he just needs to be developed into mainstream DC stuff. Leave Spidey as is.

With all that, I do enjoy Turkish Superman and Indian Superman/Indian Spider Woman.

What would happen if a male, white actor campaigned for the role of say, Black Panther? Personally, I think all heck would break loose, and we'd be stuck with Al Sharpton on TV doing protests and such.

Aside from that note, the concept of a black Spider-man is kind of interesting. As a comic book, it could be very intriguing to see what the writer's could come up with.

As for the guy who's pitching this, I seem to remember someone doing a similar stunt in an effort to win the role of Cat-woman in Batman Returns, and she was all but dismissed as a bad joke. This seems julst like the same stunt, just updated with the new technology of the day.

Y'know once he puts on the costume it becomes a bit of a non issue, but I see way too many things popping up becuase of the issue of the characters skin color. It shouldn't be an issue, but someone out there will always make it and issue. After talking about it with some people let me give you a couple things that came to our minds, granted some of this stuff is out there but have you watched Fox News lately? First Parker was a bit of a nerd and was bullied by people (and I apoligize in advance for any of this that people might not like or my wording). If you have some big white kids picking on the little black kids you'll have people claiming racism, same thing would go if you had him fighting the Green Goblin (rich white man fighting against the poor black youth. His love interest might still be Mary Jane, which some would claim is symbolizing the drug problem in America. You can go on and on like this.

• Like 1

Luke Cage?

Apparently, it depends on the skin color. For example, there is a controversy over the castings in both Prince of Persia and Avatar: The Last Airbender. I don't see anybody on this forum being as pissed off as they are with donald Glover being a candidate for Spiderman. If Peter Park were written as a minority that isn't African American, I doubt people would complain if a caucassian actor plays Spiderman. Another example would be the Superman debate. People would be pissed if they cast an Asian American with asian traits (I know Dean Cain is like 1/4 asian, but he doesn't look asian) to play The Man of Steel, but would not care if Leonardo Dicaprio plays Kanada in the (rumored) upcomming Akira movie.

Actually tons of weaboos freak out when a white actor is casted in a role they think should be reserved for an asian. Last year people were freaking out over a white guy being Goku in the Dragonball movie, the character is supposed to be an alien right? :huh:

I've stated it before but the problem with those kinds of examples is that hollywood really lacks asian american actors. I remember some people joked about Street Fighter the legend of chun li and called it Street Whiter because Kristen Kreuk was not asian enough. If she wasn't casted you know damn well they would have got Maggie Q (who is the go to asian chick for action movies)

As for the Akira movie it was never stated that Dicaprio would be Kaneda, Dicaprio was just involved with the film itself. Last I heard the movie is being handled by the guys who did Book of Eli and Dicaprio isn't even involved anymore.

I seem to remember someone doing a similar stunt in an effort to win the role of Cat-woman in Batman Returns, and she was all but dismissed as a bad joke.

Until Halle Berry (a blck woman) came along and really DID get the role of Catwoman...that really WAS a bad joke.

• Like 1

As for the guy who's pitching this, I seem to remember someone doing a similar stunt in an effort to win the role of Cat-woman in Batman Returns, and she was all but dismissed as a bad joke. This seems julst like the same stunt, just updated with the new technology of the day.

You are thinking of Sean Young.

The difference with those guys is that they actually have more films under their belts. Plus those films are enjoyable and considered cult classics.

500 days of summer on the otherhand was an IFC borefest.

I haven't seen 500 days, so I don't have an opinion on the director or the movie. I'm just saying that his indy background should not be an issue for anyone.

And as for their resumes... what, the fact that Webb made "Jesse McCartney: Up Close" isn't filling you with confidence? Me either, to be honest. But I won't condemn him or his movie until I see it. Chris Nolan had a very brief resume (2 full features, compared to Webb's 1) before making Batman Begins, but he still did a great job.

This particular director does seem to signal an emphasis on emotional storytelling rather than action. After Spidey 3, I'm not sure that's a bad thing at all. Give me a story that makes sense and resonates (Iron Man, Batman Begins) instead of a movie with no particular story and too many characters (X-men), and the action will be fine, I'm sure.

• Like 1

What would happen if a male, white actor campaigned for the role of say, Black Panther? Personally, I think all heck would break loose, and we'd be stuck with Al Sharpton on TV doing protests and such.

It's a little different, because being African if fundamental to the character. The tribal culture is a big part of the hero's identity. He even has "black" right there in the name. But Peter Parker is a kid from NYC, and those most definitely do come in black as well as white. There's also nothing particularly Caucasian about a spider.

We have had black super heros already in movies, such as Hancock and Blade, but those movies were geared toward teens and adults. It would be nice to have an A-list costumed hero in a PG movie who was not white.

• Like 1

Luke Cage?

Actually tons of weaboos freak out when a white actor is casted in a role they think should be reserved for an asian. Last year people were freaking out over a white guy being Goku in the Dragonball movie, the character is supposed to be an alien right? :huh:

I've stated it before but the problem with those kinds of examples is that hollywood really lacks asian american actors. I remember some people joked about Street Fighter the legend of chun li and called it Street Whiter because Kristen Kreuk was not asian enough. If she wasn't casted you know damn well they would have got Maggie Q (who is the go to asian chick for action movies)

As for the Akira movie it was never stated that Dicaprio would be Kaneda, Dicaprio was just involved with the film itself. Last I heard the movie is being handled by the guys who did Book of Eli and Dicaprio isn't even involved anymore.

True, Goku is an alien but as I have said before, people would get pissed if Hollywood cast Superman as a minority. The last time I've checked, Superman is an alien just as well. The alien excuse doesn't work too well since most people who sees Superman sees him as a caucassian guy, not some colorless guy who can be played by an asian or a latino.

Like you stated, only weeabos really cared about Goku being white whereas if Spiderman is turned black, there would be non comic readers being pissed about it; I didn't read Goku being white on Yahoo news yet people wanting Spiderman to be played by Glover was in the top headline. It depends on the race of the actor and the character.

Check the Thor thor thread here about one of the Vikings being played by a black guy and you see what I mean.

Even though Dicaprio may not star in Akira, it has been stated that the movie will take place in New York. That said, it is more than likely that they will replace some of the actor's ethnic group, possibly the main character. It is like what they did to the movie 21. In real life, the majority of the cast in 21 were asian, but in the film they were mostly caucassian. They replaced two of the actors to asian once there were complaints about the film.

You don't seem to understand that there isn't a lack of asian actors (there are tons of asian actors out there,) but what the audience wants to see; if Hollywood cast a movie filled with a mostly asian or latinos cast, the audience would think that the movie is too ethnic for them. It's all about profit. Hollywood can easily get hundreds of asian actors to play gangster roles as in seen in various films. If you want a lot of independent films, you can see there are some good asian actors.

As for Krueks playing as Chun-li, the role was originally offered to Keira Knightely, Jessica Alba, and then Jessica Biel (all three of which aren't chinese,) to play as Chun-li. (ref=http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/09/rumor-jessica-biel-as-chun-li-in-street-fighter-flick/) Who is to say they would get Maggie Q get the role if Kreuk's turned it down? There is no definite proof that she would.

I specifically said Asian American not asian. Hollywood could have got an actual Chinese actress to play Chun Li but how many of them speak almost fluent english?

Hollywood wants actors that can speak almost fluent english like a dubbed anime. Race is not the issue here. Whoever wanted those white actresses for Chun Li was stupid. I understand that some anime characters look white but her name and everything is too chinese to change her race.

#$## no enough is @##@@ Enough no more @##@@ RACE CHANGING YOU MIGHT AS WELL MAKE SUPERMAN GAY OR A ROBOT! I will never support this idea to hell with it Spider-man will never be a Nick Fury

#$## no enough is @##@@ Enough no more @##@@ RACE CHANGING YOU MIGHT AS WELL MAKE SUPERMAN GAY OR A ROBOT! I will never support this idea to hell with it Spider-man will never be a Nick Fury

Like I said.........an apoplexy.

No, no, no, this is all wrong!

Spider-man should be a Asian guy! Whether it be Indian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Taiwanese, or Tibetan.

ASIAN!

African American is so passe. Really flip the script, Vote Asian.

Spider-man should be a Asian guy! Whether it be Indian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Taiwanese, or Tibetan.

ASIAN!

Didn't they made him asian in the old japanese show?

If Marvel decides to makee Spiderman asian in an american movie, they would most likely make him a sultry chick; According to hollywood, asian women are more bankable than asian guys.

That would turn heads

ASIAN!

Didn't they made him asian in the old japanese show?

If Marvel decides to makee Spiderman asian in an american movie, they would most likely make him a sultry chick; According to hollywood, asian women are more bankable than asian guys.

That would turn heads

I vote Gianna Jun... But seriously... I am Asian and I dont want to see an Asian Spiderman...