Jedi Luke Skywalker drawing WIP

NewGuy

Here's a sketch of Luke I'm working on.. Eventually I'll add a good background but I don't know what type to draw yet! haha

Anyway, I hope you all like it and any construction criticism or ideas welcome! :)

Jedi_Luke_Skywalker_by_Lazy_Doodler.jpg

• Like 1

I really like your artwork a lot, NewGuy. I honestly think you've got the talent to go pro, no kidding. Are you just starting out in your art career, or are you an old hand at this? I mean, obviously you didn't just pick up your first pen yesterday, but I'm just kinda curious about how long you've been at it.

Do you ever put that artistic talent to use customizing some action figures?

I do recommend that anyone who likes Star Wars or GI Joe click on NewGuy's links, his stuff is enjoyable.

I really like your artwork a lot, NewGuy. I honestly think you've got the talent to go pro, no kidding. Are you just starting out in your art career, or are you an old hand at this? I mean, obviously you didn't just pick up your first pen yesterday, but I'm just kinda curious about how long you've been at it.

Do you ever put that artistic talent to use customizing some action figures?

I do recommend that anyone who likes Star Wars or GI Joe click on NewGuy's links, his stuff is enjoyable.

Hey man thanks a lot! I need all the encouragement I can get some days! (Especially days like today) hahaha

I used to ALWAYS take art electives but I got my BA in History.. (I fell for the bullsh*t that men had to go into a "manly" profession instead of going with the gifts they were born with you know? Family thing... :rolleyes:)

While I don't regret my old career - I did get disillusioned with it. So recently quit my old job and am making a stab at trying to be an artist. And since I took like ten years off from art I have a sh*tload to catch up on, especially with digital media and making business contacts.

As to customs - I used to do them a lot. Don't have the time to as much now b/c my hours are crazy but here's my old site: http://whoflungpoo.t....com/my_weblog/

Unfortunately, I haven't updated it for a while, I haven't added some of my new stuff and haven't replaced some of the pics of the customs I tweaked! haha

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words - it really helps!

PS: If you do customs please post a link! ;)

Hey! Finally Photoshopped up my Luke Skywalker drawing! Not sure if I'm going to add a background or leave it be.. Anyway, thanks for all the kind constructive criticism and hope you all like it! :)

Jedi_Luke_Skywalker_Color_by_Lazy_Doodler.jpg

We don't need two topics on the same thing so I merged it with your orogional topic

Anyways That looks great I wouldn't know how to paint like that

Oops! My bad - didn't realize..

And thanks for the nice comments again! :D

Hey Everyone,

So i thought i would give some constructive points.

You've already identified the main problem with the drawing. No Background... instead of thinking of it as "background," Think of it as environment.

We all love to draw torsos and figures but they don't really work so well without an environment to give context.

I like that you've put the cloak on the floor because at the least it shows that he is standing on ground.

What I suggest you do, is to work on a background seperately. Approach it as a separate drawing, pay attention to perspective and the horizon line, as well as the architecture or landscape. It doesn't have to be detailed but it does have to establish a space for points of reference.

THe space must be convincing on in its own right. Then you just pluck the figure into the composition.

What makes drawings work, especially in comics, is that at some point there is a well established environment that provides a convincing context.

Your figure drawing is fine, everything is in proportion well enough that it's not an issue. Also, I feel a style that is independent of photographic reference (which I consider a good thing). It doesn't feel heavy handed.

The coloring is fine... I just have a problem with computer coloring as a personal preference.

Lastly, fool around with compositions... the figure doesn't always have to be in the center.

Keep it up.

regards

Joshua

Sorry for another post so soon, I saw the rest of the drawings on the link above.

Make sure you include peoples lower legs and feet... people tend to cut of feet and hands. Your Cap and Snake eyes are great examples of the direction to move in.

Play with your composition.

regards

Joshua

Sorry for another post so soon, I saw the rest of the drawings on the link above.

Make sure you include peoples lower legs and feet... people tend to cut of feet and hands. Your Cap and Snake eyes are great examples of the direction to move in.

Play with your composition.

regards

Joshua

Thanks so much for the kind words! :) Compliments from an artist feels good! haha (I've also been out of art for almost a decade so it keeps me encouraged!)

And thanks for the pointers.. I totally agree with what you said about backgrounds also!

I too start out with the focal point at an angle I like:

GI_Joe_Scarlett_by_Lazy_Doodler.jpg

And plug it into the rest:

GI_Joe_Scarlett_2_by_Lazy_Doodler.jpg

I agree with what you say about traditional media - everyone seems to be using it today and I kinda' want to set my art apart from them in the future. I do prefer to only use Photoshop for inking, coloring, and effects though.. (I wish to work either in the comics field or as a designer and digital inks and colors get are so much faster and scan and send so much better for me, of course I could just suck @ss with a scanner! hahaha But like you I prefer traditional media for everything else in the process.. (I just noticed I cut her feet off in this piece! HAHA <groan>) And also I prefer to use my eye, a ruler, and a pencil with backgrounds (environment as you said :) ) instead of digital programs as I think the parts mesh together better..

Again thanks for the compliments and pointers! Please keep the constructive criticism and pointers coming also - as I badly need them! LOL! :D