Being a completist

cjflan32

So I took an inventory of my collection today to get a ballpark figure of how much I've actually spent on my high end collectibles over the past few years. After years of collecting everything under the sun these past few years I've spent my money on Sideshow and Hot Toys products.

Needless to say, there's a lot of expensive stuff in that room and some of it has to go. BUT, I have this voice in my head.

Example: I have all nine pieces of the Hot Toys Dark Knight collection. When I first got The Joker and the original costume Batman I thought they were cool. Since then the Bank Robber Joker, Two-Face and the two DX figures have come out and to be honest the originals just don't hold up well. Logic would say if you don't want something anymore then get rid of it.

Then that voice comes in my head and says "COMPLETIST. You have the entire Dark Knight collection and its cool."

I was wondering if anyone else has these "urges", for lack of a better term, to buy or keep figures they didn't really want and just kept them for "completists" sake.

I figured I'd bring this up here because of DCUC's growing list of obscure characters making their way into the line and possibly your homes.

I never could be a completist.Either I had dislikes about some figures or didn't care for them.Plus there were some figures I wanted but never could find.So I usually collect about 3/4 of the lines.

Well like I said I don't want to keep those two figures I mentioned because I have a better Joker and after having it for two years I can't stand that Batman anymore.

But my head keeps telling me to save them because the collection is complete. It's weird.

Why does it "have to go"? Do you need the money? or just the space?

If its the money, and you already have a better version that you enjoy more, you might as well sell it.

If its the space, just take it out of the case, store it, and make room for something else. Who knows. In a few months or years you might decide you want to display it again. Or if you take it out of the display area, it might make it easier for you to part with it.

And NEVER be a "completist". It adds too much pressure to an already nerve-wracking hobby that is supposed to be enjoyable and often is not.

So I took an inventory of my collection today to get a ballpark figure of how much I've actually spent on my high end collectibles over the past few years. After years of collecting everything under the sun these past few years I've spent my money on Sideshow and Hot Toys products.

Needless to say, there's a lot of expensive stuff in that room and some of it has to go. BUT, I have this voice in my head.

Example: I have all nine pieces of the Hot Toys Dark Knight collection. When I first got The Joker and the original costume Batman I thought they were cool. Since then the Bank Robber Joker, Two-Face and the two DX figures have come out and to be honest the originals just don't hold up well. Logic would say if you don't want something anymore then get rid of it.

Then that voice comes in my head and says "COMPLETIST. You have the entire Dark Knight collection and its cool."

I was wondering if anyone else has these "urges", for lack of a better term, to buy or keep figures they didn't really want and just kept them for "completists" sake.

I figured I'd bring this up here because of DCUC's growing list of obscure characters making their way into the line and possibly your homes.

I've gone through all the trends and phases in my 25+ year "career" as an adult collector, including completist.

A completist mentality......okay let's use "philosophy" for the sake of politeness......is an expensive way to collect,and less satisfying in the long run because you end up felling saddled with a lot of stuff you do not want.

Been there, done that, have the WHOLE collection of coffee mugs.

I used to collect them all when it came to toys, and I was buying all kinds of stuff....and frankly, some of it was crap.

One thing that has kept me sane, and kept me from accumulating a MASSIVE collection is that I like the "newest, shiniest thing", in that if something better comes along in my field of collecting, I usually invest in it--because I like better sculpts, articulation, paint apps etc.

So I'm always retiring or letting go of older toys that no longer have the lustre in my eyes that something new will have ( and conversely,if I really like something "older", I'll keep it and pass over something newer. Sometimes they nail it right the first time --ML series 1 Iron Man is a good example. Nowadays, I'm a decided "cherry-picker" when it comes to collecting and to that end, I do not mind if I have "holes" in my collection.

There's a great deal of peace of mind that comes with having a streamlined collection, in the midst of a mental culture of thinking/behaving like a pack rat. Just having "stuff" isn't enjoyable for me.......it becomes baggage, stuff for the sake of stuff. I'd rather collect JUST the stuff I know I'll enjoy, rather than collect more just to be able to say I have them all.

With something like DCUC, the key line of thinking for me is relevancy.

If I've read about them in the comics, if I have an association of any kind, yea, I'll usually welcome the characters into my collection.

Heck, Conan and Howard the Duck were not comics I read any great number of, if any at all--but I sure saw a LOT of ads for both in the Marvel titles I did read. That's all I need for relevancy.

Now, back with Marvel Legends, I collected a lot of characters I did not care for. Some were characters that ended up having nice figures made of them, and thus were eventually welcome in my collection because they were just great toys. Other characters I bought simply for the BAF figure, and tossed the featured character into a storage tub or gave them to my kids because I simply did not care much for them. The characters that are irrelevant to me, are not wanted, and I have passed on a few as a result.

DCUC is turning out slightly different for me: I'm only buying the characters I really give a hoot about. Mr. Terrific is an example--nice looking figure, not a character I know a lot about so I'm not interested in the toy. I could buy the figure for the C&C part, but then I have more clutter that just doesn't mean anything to me.

So I have the same voices in my head. I'd rather have a collection that means something to ME, and addresses MY reasons for collecting, than have a collection that is warranted by the "collect them all" by-line on the packaging of a box. I have found I enjoy my collection more when I pick and chose the terms by which I collect, and when I feel I'm in control of the collection, rather than feeling obligated to buy everything.

Why does it "have to go"? Do you need the money? or just the space?

If its the money, and you already have a better version that you enjoy more, you might as well sell it.

If its the space, just take it out of the case, store it, and make room for something else. Who knows. In a few months or years you might decide you want to display it again. Or if you take it out of the display area, it might make it easier for you to part with it.

And NEVER be a "completist". It adds too much pressure to an already nerve-wracking hobby that is supposed to be enjoyable and often is not.

Both. I have some university to pay for and as I'm sure you know you can never have enough space. "Need" might have been the wrong phrase though.

I've gone through all the trends and phases in my 25+ year "career" as an adult collector, including completist.

A completist mentality......okay let's use "philosophy" for the sake of politeness......is an expensive way to collect,and less satisfying in the long run because you end up felling saddled with a lot of stuff you do not want.

Been there, done that, have the WHOLE collection of coffee mugs.

I used to collect them all when it came to toys, and I was buying all kinds of stuff....and frankly, some of it was crap.

One thing that has kept me sane, and kept me from accumulating a MASSIVE collection is that I like the "newest, shiniest thing", in that if something better comes along in my field of collecting, I usually invest in it--because I like better sculpts, articulation, paint apps etc.

So I'm always retiring or letting go of older toys that no longer have the lustre in my eyes that something new will have ( and conversely,if I really like something "older", I'll keep it and pass over something newer. Sometimes they nail it right the first time --ML series 1 Iron Man is a good example. Nowadays, I'm a decided "cherry-picker" when it comes to collecting and to that end, I do not mind if I have "holes" in my collection.

There's a great deal of peace of mind that comes with having a streamlined collection, in the midst of a mental culture of thinking/behaving like a pack rat. Just having "stuff" isn't enjoyable for me.......it becomes baggage, stuff for the sake of stuff. I'd rather collect JUST the stuff I know I'll enjoy, rather than collect more just to be able to say I have them all.

With something like DCUC, the key line of thinking for me is relevancy.

If I've read about them in the comics, if I have an association of any kind, yea, I'll usually welcome the characters into my collection.

Heck, Conan and Howard the Duck were not comics I read any great number of, if any at all--but I sure saw a LOT of ads for both in the Marvel titles I did read. That's all I need for relevancy.

Now, back with Marvel Legends, I collected a lot of characters I did not care for. Some were characters that ended up having nice figures made of them, and thus were eventually welcome in my collection because they were just great toys. Other characters I bought simply for the BAF figure, and tossed the featured character into a storage tub or gave them to my kids because I simply did not care much for them. The characters that are irrelevant to me, are not wanted, and I have passed on a few as a result.

DCUC is turning out slightly different for me: I'm only buying the characters I really give a hoot about. Mr. Terrific is an example--nice looking figure, not a character I know a lot about so I'm not interested in the toy. I could buy the figure for the C&C part, but then I have more clutter that just doesn't mean anything to me.

So I have the same voices in my head. I'd rather have a collection that means something to ME, and addresses MY reasons for collecting, than have a collection that is warranted by the "collect them all" by-line on the packaging of a box. I have found I enjoy my collection more when I pick and chose the terms by which I collect, and when I feel I'm in control of the collection, rather than feeling obligated to buy everything.

If I was still collecting DCUC (and there are days like yesterday with the announcement of WV 15 I wish I still did) I could live with a few figures I didn't want.

Right now I collect Sideshow Star Wars and G.I. Joe, HT Iron Man and I collected TDK until its completion. So far I've been a completist of those four lines except for the Gunmetal Grey IM, which I just gave up on. It meant something to me to have every figure from those lines. I guess it still does.

You'd think with the rising prices of these figures it would be enough to get you to slow down. Not. I know what I'm gonna do now but I made this thread to see if anyone else had that same kind of mentality.