Thundercats "Staction"...

How do companies decide that staction figures are a better idea than regular action figures? I don't get this. I have no desire to buy a staction. I have EVERY desire to buy modern sculpted and articulated Thundercats action figures. With the old 200X line I could sort of understand - it was a way to get some things out there to follow up on an existing line; things that would never be seen otherwise, but Thundercats?

The statue market has to be about the smallest market they could possibly choose - why?

How do companies decide that staction figures are a better idea than regular action figures? I don't get this. I have no desire to buy a staction. I have EVERY desire to buy modern sculpted and articulated Thundercats action figures.

They would go this route when there's not enough money raised for tooling a line of articulated figures.

Look at it this way: They probably have enough funds from investors to do ONE fully articulated figure, or a set of, say......4-6 stactions.

It would easily cost 10 times the amount for tooling a run of different multi-part figures, than it would for a run of single casting stactions.

One figure, one character would seem hopelessly underwhelming in the marketplace, but a set of as many as 6 stactions would be a good gauge of the interest in this property. If enough people BUY the stactions, as opposed to just SAYING they would buy action figures, then the investors can get an idea that a fully -articulated line would make sense to follow.

My guess is, right now, this is the best that can be offered to see if the interest is real/genuine and not just talk.

Yeah Arrow pretty much nailed it, its almost like testing the waters. Maybe WB will just let them do the stactions, saving the fully articulated figures to be handled by a larger toy company.... Unless these are just god awful ugly figures with a huge price tag, I will get these. I was hoping we would hear something big at SDCC reguarding TC like Mattel had gotten the rights to make the figures or something, but this is still great news! Hopefully, we can see a prototype of Lion-O soon.

Yeah Arrow pretty much nailed it, its almost like testing the waters. Maybe WB will just let them do the stactions, saving the fully articulated figures to be handled by a larger toy company.... Unless these are just god awful ugly figures with a huge price tag, I will get these. I was hoping we would hear something big at SDCC reguarding TC like Mattel had gotten the rights to make the figures or something, but this is still great news! Hopefully, we can see a prototype of Lion-O soon.

Hopefully Mattel is still working on it... Imagine the Four Horsemen sculpting Thundercats Classics...

Hopefully Mattel is still working on it... Imagine the Four Horsemen sculpting Thundercats Classics...

I hold that hope everytime I visit TNI, waiting for some announcement like that. I loved He-Man as a kid, no doubt, infact I remember having He-Man and Skeletor figures "fighting" on my birthday cake one year, but for me, Thundercats was truely my favorite (until Ninja Turtles became the rage) Part of me is torn with the idea of Mattel doing it. We know it will be a quality figure, most likely sculpted by the 4H, so it's safe to assume a Lion-O wouldn't seem out of place standing next to He-Man. I am worried about the sell out times, as I am sure most of us are. At this point with MOTU, I can live without getting Optik or Tytus or even Count Marzo, but I want all of Thundercats!

I hold that hope everytime I visit TNI, waiting for some announcement like that. I loved He-Man as a kid, no doubt, infact I remember having He-Man and Skeletor figures "fighting" on my birthday cake one year, but for me, Thundercats was truely my favorite (until Ninja Turtles became the rage) Part of me is torn with the idea of Mattel doing it. We know it will be a quality figure, most likely sculpted by the 4H, so it's safe to assume a Lion-O wouldn't seem out of place standing next to He-Man. I am worried about the sell out times, as I am sure most of us are. At this point with MOTU, I can live without getting Optik or Tytus or even Count Marzo, but I want all of Thundercats!

I been waiting for reissues... That is the only way to not get fustrated at Mattel and DR...

I been waiting for reissues... That is the only way to not get fustrated at Mattel and DR...

That is true, the only figured I flat out missed and was there ready to buy was Evil Lyn, so I guess I've been lucky with it. It's a little frustrating though dealing with all of that headache, but it's well worth it for awesome figures. I guess I just want a Lion-O standing with the Sword of Omens stand side by side with He-Man, as it should be!

If actual fully articulated figures come out like MOTUC, then I will be done with collecting. I'd have all those toys my dad threw out back again. TMNT, Ghostbusters, He-Man, Toybiz Xmen, Thundercats, all got tossed in the trash when my dad had had enough of them laying around the house. I've got just about all of them back, except for my Thundercats! I can't wait to see what these stactions look like!

How do companies decide that staction figures are a better idea than regular action figures? I don't get this. I have no desire to buy a staction. I have EVERY desire to buy modern sculpted and articulated Thundercats action figures.

They would go this route when there's not enough money raised for tooling a line of articulated figures.

Look at it this way: They probably have enough funds from investors to do ONE fully articulated figure, or a set of, say......4-6 stactions.

It would easily cost 10 times the amount for tooling a run of different multi-part figures, than it would for a run of single casting stactions.

One figure, one character would seem hopelessly underwhelming in the marketplace, but a set of as many as 6 stactions would be a good gauge of the interest in this property. If enough people BUY the stactions, as opposed to just SAYING they would buy action figures, then the investors can get an idea that a fully -articulated line would make sense to follow.

My guess is, right now, this is the best that can be offered to see if the interest is real/genuine and not just talk.

Then this is why a 'real' company with production muscle should carry the brand. Clearly we see that MOTUC can work and if they can bring LEdgendary heroes to retail, then for sure they can bring the Thundercats, even if its just sold through a website.

Then this is why a 'real' company with production muscle should carry the brand. Clearly we see that MOTUC can work and if they can bring LEdgendary heroes to retail, then for sure they can bring the Thundercats, even if its just sold through a website.

MOTU underwent a series of carefully planned "reveals" after the 2000 line--and the current line was preceded by stactions itself. ToyBiz's Legendary Heroes came out without precedent and then FAILED at retail ( in fact there's a few stores STILL trying to get rid of the stuff!), something that was also noted.

Having a "real" company handle the property makes no difference--because the perception is that there IS interest, but no-one is clear just HOW MUCH interest. Its that unknown quantity that merits the cautious strategy here.

With the economy too iffy these days, no-one wants to risk launching into a big experiment, only to find out that there's not ENOUGH interest to keep a line afloat.

MOTU underwent a series of carefully planned "reveals" after the 2000 line--and the current line was preceded by stactions itself. ToyBiz's Legendary Heroes came out without precedent and then FAILED at retail ( in fact there's a few stores STILL trying to get rid of the stuff!), something that was also noted.

Having a "real" company handle the property makes no difference--because the perception is that there IS interest, but no-one is clear just HOW MUCH interest. Its that unknown quantity that merits the cautious strategy here.

With the economy too iffy these days, no-one wants to risk launching into a big experiment, only to find out that there's not ENOUGH interest to keep a line afloat.

My point regarding MOTU is that with production muscle you can sell a product without retail. I am sure that Thundercats could generate equal amounts of what is currently produced at Mattel for MOTUC

Secondly, what I meant (probably a lack of clarification) with Legendary Heroes is that the line did at the very least come to retail. Sales weren't enough to warrant a third wave but it did make it to 2 waves and there were some figures which I never saw at retail because fans bought them up. They may of been an overall failure but if they can make it to 2 waves, then a company at the very least can make figures for Thundercats to sell to online retailers.

There are plenty of small companies that make figures on a small scale and their intellictual properties aren't nearly as enticing as Thundercats. That new set of figures with the Black Terror, The Daredevil, and the one with Dick Tracey are being produced, I say why not Thundercats????

There are plenty of small companies that make figures on a small scale and their intellictual properties aren't nearly as enticing as Thundercats. That new set of figures with the Black Terror, The Daredevil, and the one with Dick Tracey are being produced, I say why not Thundercats????

Well, my comment about the economy being a factor works even moreso for a small company--all it takes is overdoing ONE wave, of one principal line and they can sink. Hasbro and Mattel has size going for them, but they also have the (justifiable) bias of selecting properties that they think can work. MOTU is a Mattel in-house brand, Thundercats began, irrc, as a animated series and was licensed into becoming a toy-line. That means that on top of development costs, there's licensing fees as well--and the property becomes less attractive with that.

Take another look at Legendary Heroes: have you noticed something about the line?

Yes, it went for two waves only, but it was also the LAST thing Toybiz did has a toy company. Toybiz ( renamed Marvel Toys) released the LH line in late summer--August) of 2007, and it was announced as cancelled at Toy Fair 2008. The usual earliest time a toy company can find out if sales warrant continuation is about 6 months.

Well, August to January is 6 months.

That means that retailers knew, pretty quickly that WAVE ONE of LH was a bomb--and that pretty much fits with what everyone suspected. Wave 2 only came out because it was manufactured & shipped right on the tails of wave 1--if there had been any delay it would have never shipped, or even been made at all. That's the "political" aspect of making toys for ya.

Those Golden Age Heroes are a real niche product. Its doubtful they will last beyond a wave or two, and highly doubtful the investors will make any profit on the line. I simply cannot see that much of a demand for those characters--though I'm sure the mindset behind them is to try and see if they sell. Thundercats has more voices asking for it....but even the clamour isn't enough to make it a safe bet. Stactions, for now, are a safer bet--and if they sell, toys will not be that far behind.

Well, my comment about the economy being a factor works even moreso for a small company--all it takes is overdoing ONE wave, of one principal line and they can sink. Hasbro and Mattel has size going for them, but they also have the (justifiable) bias of selecting properties that they think can work. MOTU is a Mattel in-house brand, Thundercats began, irrc, as a animated series and was licensed into becoming a toy-line. That means that on top of development costs, there's licensing fees as well--and the property becomes less attractive with that.

Take another look at Legendary Heroes: have you noticed something about the line?

Yes, it went for two waves only, but it was also the LAST thing Toybiz did has a toy company. Toybiz ( renamed Marvel Toys) released the LH line in late summer--August) of 2007, and it was announced as cancelled at Toy Fair 2008. The usual earliest time a toy company can find out if sales warrant continuation is about 6 months.

Well, August to January is 6 months.

That means that retailers knew, pretty quickly that WAVE ONE of LH was a bomb--and that pretty much fits with what everyone suspected. Wave 2 only came out because it was manufactured & shipped right on the tails of wave 1--if there had been any delay it would have never shipped, or even been made at all. That's the "political" aspect of making toys for ya.

Those Golden Age Heroes are a real niche product. Its doubtful they will last beyond a wave or two, and highly doubtful the investors will make any profit on the line. I simply cannot see that much of a demand for those characters--though I'm sure the mindset behind them is to try and see if they sell. Thundercats has more voices asking for it....but even the clamour isn't enough to make it a safe bet. Stactions, for now, are a safer bet--and if they sell, toys will not be that far behind.

I agree with everything you are saying, all I am saying is that if those lines that both failed and those that were a success, then we can have the Thundercats. Even the 4H have their own line of figures from their own imagination that have no tie-ins and they make those with success............come on the world needs a company who can essentially copy the style and presentation/marketing of MOTUC and bam you have Thundercat figures for this day and age.

Even the 4H have their own line of figures from their own imagination that have no tie-ins and they make those with success............come on the world needs a company who can essentially copy the style and presentation/marketing of MOTUC and bam you have Thundercat figures for this day and age.

Have the 4 Horsemen announced any Seventh Kingdom figures this year?

Anyone?

No? Then they ain't a success, unfortunately.

Their business model failed with their own line, and there's been NO talk of them continuing with their own product. Their product hasn't sold out either--they still offer stuff on their web-site--and remember what has been said about these limited runs?

The margins on these sort of things are so tight that all it takes is the failure of ONE wave to stop all the plans for future stuff in mid-stride.

So, it just not as straightforward as you'd like to think.

Even the 4H have their own line of figures from their own imagination that have no tie-ins and they make those with success............come on the world needs a company who can essentially copy the style and presentation/marketing of MOTUC and bam you have Thundercat figures for this day and age.

Have the 4 Horsemen announced any Seventh Kingdom figures this year?

Anyone?

No? Then they ain't a success, unfortunately.

Their business model failed with their own line, and there's been NO talk of them continuing with their own product. Their product hasn't sold out either--they still offer stuff on their web-site--and remember what has been said about these limited runs?

The margins on these sort of things are so tight that all it takes is the failure of ONE wave to stop all the plans for future stuff in mid-stride.

So, it just not as straightforward as you'd like to think.

I am not saying its straight forward, of course their are intricate details involved and studying the market is VERY important, however, that does not mean that there is no chance that we can't have Thundercat figures.

I am not saying its straight forward, of course their are intricate details involved and studying the market is VERY important, however, that does not mean that there is no chance that we can't have Thundercat figures.

All I have said as that without the stactions it will be very unlikely that we will see Thundercats action figures, because they are too niche and the market for selling collectibles is too unstable at this time.

If the stactions sell, then the indicators will point to enough interest to warrant production of an action figure line.

Whether that will be a mass-market release, or a on-line "cottage-industry) release, like MOTUC, is anyone's guess right now.

I think I see some pretty good arguments as for why we haven't seen new figures and I am really looking forward to see how these "stactions" look (hopefully more like the MotU ones than just statues), but I'm also not sure how much of a market there is for a new line of figures. One would think that if there was a market for them someone would have done them by now. I'm not trying to start anything, just stating how I see it. I would say the Thundercats brand is a solid B list brand that is almost straddling the A list of toys brands. But for something that is 25+ years old it really hasn't had a lot done with it since it ended. Wildstorm tried with the comics and there have been a couple other statues, but I think that these will probably be as good as we get.

I'm both excited by and very disappointed by this news. Excited because Thundercats are finally returning to the market place. But this whole staction thing is really irritating. I don't see how sales of this line can be a. Accurate indicator of how an action figure line would sell because speaking personally I can all but guarantee I won't be buying these stactions. I am not interested in little plastic statues. I want actionfigures. Articulation is a key factor in the toys I collect. If these have zero articulation i'm not interested. But if these were articulated action figures I'd be all over them and would probably buy multiples of each figure. I can't imagine I'm the only one

I'm both excited by and very disappointed by this news. Excited because Thundercats are finally returning to the market place. But this whole staction thing is really irritating. I don't see how sales of this line can be a. Accurate indicator of how an action figure line would sell because speaking personally I can all but guarantee I won't be buying these stactions. I am not interested in little plastic statues. I want actionfigures. Articulation is a key factor in the toys I collect. If these have zero articulation i'm not interested. But if these were articulated action figures I'd be all over them and would probably buy multiples of each figure. I can't imagine I'm the only one

I am right there with you. I don't buy statues but I do buy figures and yes I would buy 2 of each, one loose, one in package. There is so much they could do with Thundercats, we never got he Lunatacs so there are a few money making figures right there. Also they could try new outfits, I saw Lion O in a black outfit once and maybe like someone mentioned, they could do grown versions of Kit and Kat. With all the crap that is produced I can't imagine no one can or won't make these. Do you ever read toyfare....its full I stuff I sit around and scratch my head about....saying, "who buys these"????

To add what Arrow have on why Thundercats "Stactions" are being made, it is also because the company who are making them is new. With toys being pricey nowadays, it would be so much a risk for a new company to make of a toyline based on a cult cartoon that may not do well.

Believe it or not, a lot of companies who do make toys based on properties that were popular 11+ years ago, ends up going out of business or near death. One such company is Sota Toys. Besides their Street Fighter line, any licensed toyline they had made, died quite quickly. One of the reasons the Street Fighter line was successful because at the time, the UDON comics were popular.

It is hard to say if a line of Thundercats figures would sell well in today's market. While it is true that the Masters of the Unvierse Classic line is successful, the toyline is based on a popular 80s' toyline with Mattel being fully aware that fans would buy the figures; the MOTU200x and the NECA Staction line were quite successful. Because Thundercats isn't based on a popular toyline and franchise has really been in the public eye since 1989, it is hard for a copany to expect huge profit.

If the Thundercats toys were made around the time the Wildstrom Thundercats comics were being released, the toys might have a better chance of becomming popular.

No offense to anyone on this thread, there is a difference between saying "I want to buy said item" and "I am going to commit in buying said figure with a preorder."

What I mean by this is that there are a lot of us who claims that we want to buy whatever. However, when whatever comes out, some of us usually backs out - whether it is because of the sculpt looks too realistic or too unrealistic, the figs have too few articulation or too much articulation, the assortments are too few or too many, the toys are too expensive or too cheap, etc.. I understand we, the customers, have to be picky and choosy, but at an era where the globe's economy is down the drain, toy companies can't afford customsers to be too picky. With a staction figure, it would be much cheaper (the cost of material and tooling is cheaper to produce in action figures) for companies to test the waters.

I know this might be mean, but I bet if Icon Heroes started off making brand new action figures (not stactions) off the bat, people wouldn't care if the new company dies for doing so as long as they made new toys.

I am assuming that these stactions will be around 20-30 at least. If they sell more, I think we will see figures being maed.

To add what Arrow have on why Thundercats "Stactions" are being made, it is also because the company who are making them is new. With toys being pricey nowadays, it would be so much a risk for a new company to make of a toyline based on a cult cartoon that may not do well.

Believe it or not, a lot of companies who do make toys based on properties that were popular 11+ years ago, ends up going out of business or near death. One such company is Sota Toys. Besides their Street Fighter line, any licensed toyline they had made, died quite quickly. One of the reasons the Street Fighter line was successful because at the time, the UDON comics were popular.

It is hard to say if a line of Thundercats figures would sell well in today's market. While it is true that the Masters of the Unvierse Classic line is successful, the toyline is based on a popular 80s' toyline with Mattel being fully aware that fans would buy the figures; the MOTU200x and the NECA Staction line were quite successful. Because Thundercats isn't based on a popular toyline and franchise has really been in the public eye since 1989, it is hard for a copany to expect huge profit.

If the Thundercats toys were made around the time the Wildstrom Thundercats comics were being released, the toys might have a better chance of becomming popular.

No offense to anyone on this thread, there is a difference between saying "I want to buy said item" and "I am going to commit in buying said figure with a preorder."

What I mean by this is that there are a lot of us who claims that we want to buy whatever. However, when whatever comes out, some of us usually backs out - whether it is because of the sculpt looks too realistic or too unrealistic, the figs have too few articulation or too much articulation, the assortments are too few or too many, the toys are too expensive or too cheap, etc.. I understand we, the customers, have to be picky and choosy, but at an era where the globe's economy is down the drain, toy companies can't afford customsers to be too picky. With a staction figure, it would be much cheaper (the cost of material and tooling is cheaper to produce in action figures) for companies to test the waters.

I know this might be mean, but I bet if Icon Heroes started off making brand new action figures (not stactions) off the bat, people wouldn't care if the new company dies for doing so as long as they made new toys.

I am assuming that these stactions will be around 20-30 at least. If they sell more, I think we will see figures being maed.

All that sounds good but it isn't gospel (not saying that your are intending to be)

Judging figure sales off statue sales is silly, most people don't collect statues. If anything the reverse scenario is plausible.

I look in TF every month, and every month you can find more than one property that isn't doing anything yet has figures being released. The had figures based off the Flash Gordon 1981 movie, and they still are, they moved from the figure format to the Mego style figure. There are always properties that are being released that do not have a current tie-in. The problem is that I think you guys are thinking large scale. I doubt anyone believes there will be large scale Thundercat toys being made, but a condenced set of figures could work.

Judging figure sales off statue sales is silly, most people don't collect statues. If anything the reverse scenario is plausible.

Well, it worked for the MOTU brand with their stactions-how else do you think the MOTUC line came to be? I can tell you it was not by the good graces of Mattel thinking it was just "the right time".

After the MOTU 2000x line was cancelled, it was dead. Mattel was ready to walk away from it for good.

But the fan voice said there was still interest, and there was JUST ENOUGH noise being made out there to tweak Mattel's nose a bit. So they hit upon an idea to see if there was still some interest: hence the MOTU stactions.

They were cheap to make, and they sold.

That that there is the key.....they sold......and they sold in sufficient numbers to put the idea back into Mattel's head to try MOTU as an action figure line one more time. It would not have happened if for the stactions.

The problem is that I think you guys are thinking large scale. I doubt anyone believes there will be large scale Thundercat toys being made, but a condenced set of figures could work.

It doesn't matter if its large or small scale in scope. Tooling for a line of, say, six figures, articulated to say DCUC or MOTUC standards will STILL cost about $300,000 or so.....even if they intended to make just 10,000 of them, or 100,000 thousand. Those start-up costs are what they risk trying to recoup.

A single cast staction would cost about $30,000 for 6 different castings, if that much--so the risk is much less and the ability to gauge actual interest is much less risky.

That is what you are not getting.

Its not that they do not know there is interest--they clearly know that--but they do not know HOW MUCH interest there is in the brand. They need something tangible, in terms of dollars spent on product to show investors that there is enough interest to warrant moving forward on actual action figures. Those fans that are just gaga about Thundercats will likely buy stactions (if they are dynamic looking enough), and it follows that WHATEVER those numbers of fans are, they AND others will also buy Thundercats action figures, if they are made.

BUT......the numbers of dedicated fans is NOT yet known, and the stactions are the best, cheapest, least risky way to find out how many of them there are.

We, as fans, can talk all we want about demand.....but in the end talk is cheap.....its meaningless. Fans are both notoriously cheap AND fickle, and the manufacturers know this. They have seen, many times of fans clamouring for certain things, only to balk when that thing came out.

Sure the reasons for that are many, but the manufacturers only see one thing: that fans wanted something specific BUT DID NOT BUY IT WHEN IT CAME OUT.

They want to hedge their bets...minimize the risk because nostalgia-based products are incredibly risky.

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE